Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Beacause - FF7 Retranslation (Merged into Reunion, use that instead)  (Read 361774 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Actually ass has a more defined meaning in this case then meat (in my opinion).

eg. 'Your ass is mine', 'Your ass is working for avalanche now' etc

'Your meat is mine', 'Your meat is working for avalanche now' doesnt make sense in current english language. Take a look at both of these and tell me you can honestly understand what is going on without having prior knowledge of what is going on. Sure tacking the skinny part on to ass does make it a slight insult, but not much as you make it sound.

The only other thing i can think of is if you change the sentence to this. Then it might make sense.

“But don't forget that you're meat
   hired by Avalanche now.”

If you take out the is then it sounds like he is calling you meat. Makes the sentence more logical.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I agree and I have changed Reward to Pay.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-25 01:28:37 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
------------------------------
Jessie
“Pay…”{NEW}
“Ah,I give up.
   A lot of money was promised,I guess.”{NEW}
Yeah!
   Well,why not? It was a verbal agreement too.
   Now,I'd better figure this out.”
------------------------------
(“Oh no,it's {CLOUD}!
   I think he heard me.”)

< she is referring to cloud and is talking to herself.  That part always bugged me as making no sense.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
*cough* Maybe you should continue this on IRC? :roll: *cough*
« Last Edit: 2011-10-25 02:16:30 by Vgr »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
*cough* nope :P  I am busy with this.  I took a small liberty with this one >
“Damn man!!
   Your face looks like a Chocobo's ass.
   Are you tired,pops?”{NEW}
“Well you can rest on
   the third floor if you like…”

Just an insult to how cloud looks tired.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
I agree with sl1987 Barret just does'nt sound like a mean big black man lol just sayin...he looks like hes more educated or somethin lol

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
And that is the point...  he is educated.  He is not a stereotypical black guy anymore.  He is not Mr T.  Sure he speaks slangy and aggressive but that does not mean he has to be dumb.  Are we really saying that if you are black you automatically have to be dumb?  Jus' ma fealins bro.

I don't understand it...  I know Mr T is a great guy (and he is educated too btw), I love him...  but Baskett made Barrett into Mr T and that isn't just wrong, it is unprofessional.

I have said from the beginning 1 of the MAJOR differences this localisation will have is that Barrett is not a stupid dumb black guy.

one other thing, I am very amused about here... is that I am ordinarily accused of being a racist...  being everything-o-phobic... and this must be the first time I have been attacked with the opposite argument LMAO
« Last Edit: 2011-10-25 23:14:41 by DLPB »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
I always thought Barrett was Puerto Rican.

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
I'm sorry about replying so late but I didn't see your pm until just now. Google has emails from qhimm marked as spam, for some reason. I marked it as not spam, so it shouldn't happen again. I never look at the forum links on top, either, :D. Since you have private messages blocked, I guess you want me to reply here?

I took 3 years of Japanese in high school, but I don't remember much of the kanji vocabulary. It's mostly from lack of exposure to it. I do remember all of my particles, katakana, hiragana, and some various other rules for conversations. My sensei said that once all of that was second nature, then a good dictionary and rote memorization was pretty much all you needed afterwards.

I don't have anything to do, so I can help. I'm pretty sure I can translate accurately.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I have sent another PM, it should work now :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_XgFHRs96E

It is time we have a uniform language....  ENGLISH!  8-)

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
Thanks for the chance, :D, and I'm sorry it didn't work out.

I started looking over the item names, like you asked, and just finished looking over the weapons.
Weapons:
Aerith:
Fairy Tale  > フェアリーテイル > Feari- Teiru > Fairy Tail (テール is Tale, so I'm pretty sure it's an intentional pun like in the Fairy Tail anime)
Wizer Staff  > ワイザーロッド > Waiza- Roddo > Weiser Rod or Wisdom Rod (weiser is german for wise)

Cloud:
Organics > オーガニクス > O-ganikusu > Ogre Snow > Snow Ogre (Nix was probably taken from Nix Olympica or Snow Olympics in Latin, most likely derives from "Frost Giant" which is part of the Norse creation myth)

Red XIII:
Hairpin > かんざし > Kanzashi > Kanzashi (it's a traditional Japanese hair ornament and hairpin by itself makes it lose meaning)

Tifa:
Work Glove > 軍手 > Gunte > Cotton Glove (Work Glove is better, since Gunte is a durable knitted work glove) (my stepfather used to own a pair for handling fresh aluminum casts since they're heat resistant)

Vincent:
Shortbarrel > ランダル > Randaru > Randall (third link is right, but it's probably directly from The Magnificent Seven)
Supershot ST/ High Blow ST > ハイブロウST > Haiburou ST > High Standard (another Steve McQueen gun, High Standard FLITE KING, it looks similar but the game's version has a custom grip, like a mossberg's)

Hope that helps, :D.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-28 17:21:36 by ragnarok2040 »

Thad

• View Profile
And that is the point...  he is educated.

Where was he educated?

Are we really saying that if you are black you automatically have to be dumb?

No.  But he grew up a poor coal miner, regardless of his race.  I'd expect him and Dyne to have a similar manner of speaking.

I don't understand it...  I know Mr T is a great guy (and he is educated too btw), I love him...  but Baskett made Barrett into Mr T and that isn't just wrong, it is unprofessional.

I'm not crazy about the way he talks in Baskett's translation either, but I hardly think HE'S the one who made him into Mr. T.  I mean, LOOK at the guy.

And aside from his physical appearance, he is most certainly an Angry Black Man.  That's got unfortunate connotations too -- of course, the difference between an Angry Black Man and a black man who happens to be angry is open to considerable interpretation.

I have said from the beginning 1 of the MAJOR differences this localisation will have is that Barrett is not a stupid dumb black guy.

I'm all for not having him talk like Mr. T or any other kind of stereotype, and he certainly shouldn't be stupid.  But "educated" might take it a bit too far.  Self-educated, maybe?  He strikes me as the sort of guy who's probably cracked a few philosophy books, studied a bit of history.  I imagine him throwing down Loveless after the first two pages, though.

Dunno.  Food for thought.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Thank you!

Aerith:
Fairy Tale  > フェアリーテイル > Feari- Teiru > Fairy Tail (テール is Tale, so I'm pretty sure it's an intentional pun like in the Fairy Tail anime)
Wizer Staff  > ワイザーロッド > Waiza- Roddo > Weiser Rod or Wisdom Rod (weiser is german for wise)

Fairy Tail makes no sense, as tail is from an animal or something with a tail, whereas fairy tale is spelled differently.  Very unlikely tail.

Cloud:
Organics > オーガニクス > O-ganikusu > Ogre Snow > Snow Ogre (Nix was probably taken from Nix Olympica or Snow Olympics in Latin, most likely derives from "Frost Giant" which is part of the Norse creation myth)

If it was nix, it would still be ogrenix and not snow, since the mythology stays in tact.  I will look into nyx vs nix

Red XIII:
Hairpin > かんざし > Kanzashi > Kanzashi (it's a traditional Japanese hair ornament and hairpin by itself makes it lose meaning)

I will add that explanation but Hairpin is a better localisation.  In this case, hair Ornament is pretty unworkable.

Tifa:
Work Glove > 軍手 > Gunte > Cotton Glove (Work Glove is better, since Gunte is a durable knitted work glove) (my stepfather used to own a pair for handling fresh aluminum casts since they're heat resistant)

Maybe this needs changing... but work glove can be anything really...  that's the problem.

Vincent:
Shortbarrel > ランダル > Randaru > Randall (third link is right, but it's probably directly from The Magnificent Seven)
Supershot ST/ High Blow ST > ハイブロウST > Haiburou ST > High Standard (another Steve McQueen gun, High Standard FLITE KING, it looks similar but the game's version has a custom grip, like a mossberg's)

It does not say high standard though :P  It says Highbrow  8-)

As for Barrett, when I say educated I mean to a point.  I mean not a dumb ass.  I do not mean he is going to become kasparov.  I think what we have done already bears that out.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-29 15:48:35 by DLPB »

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
I always thought that staff made the tail of the fairy. Fairies in Japan sometimes have tails, :P. Fairy Tale works fine, :D.

Yeah, that sword name seems to be a mystery. Ogre is interchangeable in Japan with Giant or Ogre or Demon in English. Ogrenics or Ogre Nix make the most sense to me. It could be "made from the body of an ogre", based on a misspelled pronunciation of 肉体, nikutai. The original incarnation of the weapon was only received from ogres. Simply "Ogre Killer", using Nix as "to cancel out". Nix as "Snow", since it's generally found on mountains or in snow villages. It could be Nyx for night/beauty, since they seem to put a lot of effort into making it look good when they give it the name.

Yeah, Highbrow ST is probably a name based on its coolness factor,  8). ST is probably Japanese shorthand for standard but not necessarily. The High Standard range of guns is probably where it got its name.

I have some more suggestions after researching the names up to Limit Breaks.
Other Names:
Knowlespole > ノルズポル > Noruzuporu > Knowlespol (pretty sure it's Irish) (dweller/dwellers by the knoll is knowles, and pol is a magnetic pole, the crater was discovered there by the Cetra)

Armors:
Shinra Alpha >  神羅甲型防具改 >  First Class Protector [lit. Shin-Ra First Class Protector Revised]
Shinra Beta> 神羅安式防具 > Common Protector [lit.  Shin-Ra Common (Cheap-Official) Protector]

Items:
Antarctic Wind > 南極の風 > Southern Gale [lit.  Antarctic Wind,  but stands for a strong cold gale]
M-Tentacles > モルボルの触手 > Morbol Tentacles [derives from morbo in latin for disease]
Super Sweeper >  超合金スイーパー > Ultra Metallic Sweeper [Sweeper is probably based on the main character in the City Hunter series, I think superalloy is used for hype, like mega super metallic figure]

Chocobo Food:
Curiel/Kurie Greens > クリーエの野菜 > Kurie > Curly Greens [curly lettuce]
Krakka/Karaka Greens > カラッカの野菜 > Caraca Greens [a type of carrot]
Luchile/Ruchin Nut >  ルチルの実 > Rutile Nut [in addition to Rutile, it could also be Ruchiru for a cutesy nut name based on the jewelry or a girl]
Mimett/Memmet/Memit/Mimmet/Samolen Greens > ミメットの野菜 > Minetto Greens [a type of lettuce]
Pahsana/Pasana Greens > パサーナの野菜 > Pashana Greens [pashanabheda, healing herb]
Pram/Param Nut > パラムの実 > Plum Nut [direct katakana transliteration of plum]
Reagan/Regan Greens > レイゲンの野菜 > 霊験の野菜 > Miracle Greens

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Knowlespole > ノルズポル > Noruzuporu > Knowlespol (pretty sure it's Irish) (dweller/dwellers by the knoll is knowles, and pol is a magnetic pole, the crater was discovered there by the Cetra)

The Kana doesn't match at all....?  Any source to show same kana with name?

Armors:
Shinra Alpha >  神羅甲型防具改 >  First Class Protector [lit. Shin-Ra First Class Protector Revised]
Shinra Beta> 神羅安式防具 > Common Protector [lit.  Shin-Ra Common (Cheap-Official) Protector]

Space is limited so had to go with Cheap and Revised.  Revised is literal too.

Items:
Antarctic Wind > 南極の風 > Southern Gale [lit.  Antarctic Wind,  but stands for a strong cold gale]

lit. Southern polar wind.  I am not sure if Gale has other kanji.  One for luksy.

M-Tentacles > モルボルの触手 > Morbol Tentacles [derives from morbo in latin for disease]

Well you may have finally sussed where that comes from...   originally from latin: morbus : sickness, disease, illness.   It could still be morbor though.... Morbo is also directly used in Italian and Spanish.

Chocobo Food:

Kana does not match....

Krakka/Karaka Greens > カラッカの野菜 > Caraca Greens [a type of carrot]

I'd  think Karaka tree is much more likely (like carob tree)...  however if true it could be caraca assuming sound is same.  Will see what luksy says.

Mimett/Memmet/Memit/Mimmet/Samolen Greens > ミメットの野菜 > Minetto Greens [a type of lettuce]

I will pass that to luksy, but given we had rutile, I thought it would be plausible for Mimetite as the kana is a dead match also.

Pahsana/Pasana Greens > パサーナの野菜 > Pashana Greens [pashanabheda, healing herb]

Cool.  I will use that, we have nothing else to go on and sounds plausible.

All the dictionaries I have do not allow for plum however, luksy is better qualified to say on this...

Another for luksy.  Looks like you are right though!  And I am not sure how I missed that....

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 2011-10-30 02:06:25 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile

Personally i find the explanation that it's just a variation on ノルスポル far more simple.

Again the easiest explanation is 南極 Antartica 風 wind, there are plenty of more obvious ways to write "cold wind" 冷風, 寒風 etc.

Plausible, although the final ル is odd in that case, imho I think it's onomatopoeia, or possibly based on something like 漏る放る

Super Sweeper >  超合金スイーパー > Ultra Metallic Sweeper [Sweeper is probably based on the main character in the City Hunter series, I think superalloy is used for hype, like mega super
It's a nod to Chogokin figures.

I would have though curly would have just been カーリー

ルチル and ミメット are both minerals, I don't think it's a coincidence.

プラム is plum, although I suppose it could be a deliberate change.

agree 100%

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The only change which needs making is "Miracle Greens".  The possible origin of Morbor will be added.

I will look into nix and fairy tail and work glove.

Some important stuff raised there, including 1 major correction.  Thank you. Ragnarok is added to credits.  Don;t hesitate to bring anything else up, especially monster names marked in green or pink :)

« Last Edit: 2011-10-30 07:30:46 by DLPB »

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
Cool,  8).

Here's my reasoning for the origin of Knowlespole:

ノールズ is definitely Knolls, there's a Knolls Hotel transliterated into katakana like that. Pole also has an elongated o, ポール, whereas Pol is shortened to  ポル, since pol directly means either magnetic pole, electrical pole, or geography related (possibly landmark, or known location). The letters "or" are almost always converted as an elongated o sound. Porch, north, forth, horn, fork, etc. ズ is usually used for a S sound at the end of a word like Coors, doors, etc.

The direct word, as it is written in katakana, would definitely be Knolspol, but it doesn't make much sense since knol means turnip or bulge or workhorse, only in Dutch. I'm sure the original creator took "knowles", a common Celtic name, and dropped the elongated o sound to differentiate it from north when combining it with pol, a common Celtic word, to make Knowlespol. Knowlespol translates as something like "homeland of/at the knoll", lit. dwelling at a geographic knoll.

There's an even stronger link that it's Celtic since "Cetra" is based on a Celtic word, and their beliefs are based entirely on Celtic reconstructionist teachings. Being that some members of the Final Fantasy team were fans of Irish/Celtic words/songs, I'm pretty confident it's related.

Antarctic Wind:
Yeah, 風 was a weird choice considering the item is something like a windy ice grenade. Is it possible that the name was made to make it seem like a non-dangerous item for common use, like an air conditioner? Antipolar Wind might sound better. It gets rid of the "southern" meaning, but retains the meaning that it's a direct opposite of a pole and possibly conveys a utility feel to it.

The Chocobo Food names are fine. I have the feeling that some of the names might be combinations of popular dishes/vegetable names or taken out of a home remedy book. I would get partial matches to curry, soups, and salads when looking up the katakana/anglicized version on the Japanese version of Google or sketchy medical sites, :o. I just posted what came close, :D.

Sorry about the wall of text, :-X.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Had they wanted pole, I am sure they would have just kept the correct kana (as it is from North Pole).  Pol seems to be what they were getting at.  I would have thought like luksy that it is just a rearrangement of the English North Pole, but perhaps Knoll's was intended?

Knowles also seems to be a stretch with the kana as it is... ノルズ

Knoll's / Knolls Pol matches though?

http://www.agoda.jp/north_america/united_states/omaha_ne/attractions/hotels_near_knolls_golf_course.html  Like that golf club.

or ノルズ原子力研究所    Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory

Knowle is a modern adaption of old English Knoll (little hill), and since the kana uses what looks like Knoll, I'd be inclined to believe they meant Knoll.  It isn't far off though!

ノールズ  is knowles...

To me Knoll's Pol (pole at the little hill) seems much more likely...
« Last Edit: 2011-10-30 16:01:14 by DLPB »

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
It could be knolls, but the northern continent seemed to only have one large knoll that Jenova hit. The german sites think that Knowledge was ripped in half for Knowlespole, for a place of knowledge. The Japanese sites that talk about the localized version leave it as Knowlespole or mention it's a bad katakana version of North Pole. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma :/.

Edit:
Yeah, Knoll's Pol sounds good, too.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Your idea of knoll may be spot on.  Knowles COULD be what they meant but given the kana it is more unlikely.  Knowles is a modern variation on knoll.  Given cetra are ancient, more fitting also to use knoll.

I have been looking around and a lot of places use noruzu to mean Knolls or Knoll's.  It fits and it makes sense. 

ragnarok2040

• View Profile
I did some more digging, and "poll" can also be ポル. It means hole in Irish. Knollspoll or Knoll's Poll, a hill with a hole. Maybe?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No it is definitely pol from pole... since the game tells you they were from that area :)  At least it makes it seem pretty clear they are from the polar region.

I will go back and examine that text.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-30 20:11:32 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
OK I think I have it now... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knoll

Middle English knol, from Old English cnoll; akin to Old Norse knollr mountaintop
First Known Use: before 12th century

and the promised land is where the cetra was going, which is where sephiroth was at the north polar region, a land full of Mako. Where is that?  It is on top of the great glacier.

This seems the likely origin of Knoll's Pol

"all that is left is to go north, the promised land waits for me over snowy fields"

“The outside is rich with Mako energy.
   The inside is a
   treasure trove of Materia. 
   This truly is the Promised Land.”

“At the end of their hard,
   long journey,it was said
   they would find the Promised Land
   and supreme happiness.”
“The first ones to discover
   the Planet's wound were the Cetra
   at Knoll's Pol.”

“Knoll's Pol refers to this area.