Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 703184 times)

ff7rules

• View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #375 on: 2009-05-05 15:07:44 »
Can't wait man really appreciate all the work you put into wallmarket and heid.So your saying this next one will allow us to edit the AI enemys with needing to hex edit AND characters? if so thats INCREDIBLE! can't wait.

WallMarket will only ever edit KERNEL.BIN and/or kernel2.bin. Heidegger will soon after evolve to edit Enemy AI.

My mistake mate sorry. so in the next version of hedigegger how will editing the AI work? will we be given a list of commands we can input and what attack we want them to link to or will it only do the simple stuff? It will be so usefull as making one mistake in hex editing can ruin a whole script.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #376 on: 2009-05-06 04:16:33 »
so in the next version of hedigegger how will editing the AI work? will we be given a list of commands we can input and what attack we want them to link to or will it only do the simple stuff? It will be so usefull as making one mistake in hex editing can ruin a whole script.

Oh yes, it will be complicated. There's no way to make it easy. It will have to be done in assembler since I don't have the ability to compile. Theoretically it could, but it's not likely. AI Scripting for this game is just that complex.
The readme will come with a moderately detailed explanation on how to code in the assembler you're allowed, but it's up to you to decide how you want to do it all.

UPDATE:
Some may have noticed the new tag here, but not noticed anything new (unless I updated this of course ;) ). What changed is the picture of the completed CharAI on the first post. It now will end up looking like this. Cool, huh?
This is the way it will look in WM. It will look similar in Proud Clod as well. The interface is still just a little clumsy, but let me explain what it's got right now.

There are only six parts to it. It's got a character list, a script section list, a "Disassemble" button, a Total Script Size indicator, the actual code in assembler that can be edited, and a "translated" scrollable, copyable text box.

The asterisks by the character names and script section names indicates that there is a script linked to those (eg. "Cloud*" means Cloud has scripts while "Red XIII" does not and there is a "General Counter*" script while there is not a "Pre-Battle" one).
The total script size MUST NOT EXCEED 2048 BYTES! Any larger than that and the game won't load (seriously banged my head for a LONG while confused as to why my game wouldn't start :) ). This count updates when a script is edited so you can keep track of how much space you have left.
NOTE: Removing those pointless "Battle Love Character Points" script from the characters reduces used space from 1508 to 410! That should be more than enough to do several little things to most of the characters. I'd suggest leaving Vincent's Main script alone or his Limit Breaks won't work the same.
The editable code is conveniently separated into Opcode and Argument. If an Opcode is entered that requires an argument, this will conveniently add 0s equal to the required Argument length in the Argument column. More conveniently so, if an argument is typed that is too short, it makes it the appropriate length. Even MORE conveniently, if an Argument is typed where one is not allowed, it just removes it. If that weren't enough, the arguments are in Little Endian instead of Big Endian! (That means that the value 1 is stored as "0001" instead of "0100") That's a lot of convenience!!! And yes, I'm hyping all that because I can't compile code like "If Self.HP = 1". and get good results.
The "translated window" to the right will show the assembler version of what the codes mean. This probably won't mean much to some. But the "Disassemble" button will (key word alert!)attempt(key word alert!) to turn it into readable code similar to C or Java. It may or may not end up exactly the way the game will read it and it's mostly based on the existing scripts on characters.

And that's what I've got. Aside from one annoying interface fluke it's all fully functional. I'm now devoting more time trying to iron that out since my final is over.

UPDATE 2:
Look promising? Ignore the red text and the mis-aligned curly brackets.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-11 21:44:34 by NFITC1 »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 2009-05-13 02:09:34 »
1.1.8 wont run for me, OS is windows XP.

1.1.7 works fine.
1.1.8 I get a hourglass for split second and then nothing happens, I get no dialog box, no errors etc.

--edit--
to add heiddeggar is one sweet app, and does what I was looking for, got to modify enemy attacks.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-13 02:50:56 by Chrysalis »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 2009-05-13 02:36:06 »
Also seems to be incompatible with Windows 7 RC 7100.

EDIT:  Disregard.  I should have payed more attention to the original post
« Last Edit: 2009-05-13 03:55:55 by obesebear »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 2009-05-13 02:59:56 »
ok I see I needed to install visual basic powerpacks for new version so installed it.  I already got net 3.5 installed.

It now runs but after clicking on initial data tab I got this error and it crashed.

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
   at WallMarket.Form1.DrawStatIndic()
   at WallMarket.Form1.Draw_Curves(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Radio_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.set_Checked(Boolean value)
   at WallMarket.Form1.TabControl1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.1.8.2
    Win32 Version: 1.1.8.2
    CodeBase: file:///F:/patches/ff7/WallMarket118/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINNT/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 2009-05-13 22:35:04 »
ok question if ok.

If I were to set clouds level to 1 for start of game but left his stats alone, would that mean he would still have same stats but just have higher base values? so by the time he reaches the original starting level he would have higher stats than otherwise in affect making the game easier.  If this is the case how do I know what to adjust the stats to on level 1 so he has the same stats on the higher levels.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #381 on: 2009-05-13 22:36:20 »
:O new version of WM!?
sweet :D
*edis some AI*

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 2009-05-13 22:51:51 »
ok question if ok.

If I were to set clouds level to 1 for start of game but left his stats alone, would that mean he would still have same stats but just have higher base values? so by the time he reaches the original starting level he would have higher stats than otherwise in affect making the game easier.  If this is the case how do I know what to adjust the stats to on level 1 so he has the same stats on the higher levels.

If you don't change the growth curves then it won't matter because the stats will sort themselves out after a few level ups; Yuffie, for example, has starting stats of 1 for each attribute at level 1 but has normal stats by the time she reaches level 17. Have a look at section 1.4 of the party mechanics guide to see how it works.

In short, there is a baseline curve for character stats that is involved in the formula for stat growth at level up that stops stats from growing if they are higher than they should be for that level and makes them grow more if they are lower than they should be. Starting stats aren't really important.

You probably won't have exactly the same stats at level 6 no matter what you set his level 1 starting stats at because of the random element in stat gains, but as long as you don't dramatically increase his stats, they will normalise by the time you get to about level 15 (maybe earlier).

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 2009-05-13 23:00:17 »
somehow i cant install Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0  :/
when its finishing it gives this error

"Cannot register types for DXCore assembly"

any ideas?

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 2009-05-14 05:25:30 »
ok question if ok.

If you don't change the growth curves then it won't matter because the stats will sort themselves out after a few level ups; Yuffie, for example, has starting stats of 1 for each attribute at level 1 but has normal stats by the time she reaches level 17. Have a look at section 1.4 of the party mechanics guide to see how it works.

In short, there is a baseline curve for character stats that is involved in the formula for stat growth at level up that stops stats from growing if they are higher than they should be for that level and makes them grow more if they are lower than they should be. Starting stats aren't really important.

You probably won't have exactly the same stats at level 6 no matter what you set his level 1 starting stats at because of the random element in stat gains, but as long as you don't dramatically increase his stats, they will normalise by the time you get to about level 15 (maybe earlier).

ok thanks understood. I might mess with the curve stuff so more difference between the characters.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 2009-05-14 06:05:21 »
Something just occured to me.  Is the "All Lucky 7s" thing in character AI?  Would it be possible to alter it to "Lucky Max HP"?  :-D

EDIT: Never mind.  It seems that it isn't in the kernel.  It's at the end of the damage equation, which is why enemies can get it.  I haven't been doing my HW.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-14 06:12:15 by Shadowseer »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #386 on: 2009-05-14 13:22:46 »
It's at the end of the damage equation, which is why enemies can get it.  I haven't been doing my HW.  Sorry about that.

Eh? Enemies can get it?! I never knew that!

ok question if ok.

Deviations are as nothing before the Score....err, curves. :D That's why I added those graphs on the growth tab. If you want them to have different stats at different levels, you'll have to change the curves.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 2009-05-15 01:28:07 »
Yeah, enemies get All Lucky 7s.  I did a search for it here on the qhimm forums and found someone who was annihilated by the Materia Keeper lol.

Lovin' WM all the way, btw!  I shall find a way to make use of those unused materias and items.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 2009-05-15 02:48:04 »

any ideas?

any1?  :cry: :cry:

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #389 on: 2009-05-15 13:37:25 »

any ideas?

any1?  :cry: :cry:

What version of DirectX do you have installed?

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 2009-05-15 20:23:32 »
directX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 2009-05-16 02:20:47 »
I fixed the crashes I was getting, it seems not supposed to have .net 2.0 and .net 3.5 both installed at same time, I deinstalled 2.0 and then it worked.

this tool and heideggar are both superb many thanks to the dev and to those who are helping.

The curves confuse me a bit, eg. clouds max hp curve dips in his middle levels and then catches up a bit at the end towards lvl99.

Seeing aeris natural magic and spirit stats makes me hate what happens even more in the game :(

Is it possible to do these 2 things or are they limited by game code?

set magic cost to above 255MP for a spell/summon
set max level for a materia to lvl 3 instead of lvl 5, in my case I only want 3 levels on knights of the round.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2009-05-16 09:57:57 »
The first would require some much heavier modding since the MP cost of spells is determined by one byte.

The second is possible since materia levels are determined in the kernel.bin. A word of warning, however; if you want to make summons work like Ultima magic does (i.e. requiring a level up before they are used, which would be a great idea with KotR), you can't.

warmist

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 2009-05-16 12:52:50 »
I have encountered a strange error while trying to create KERNEL.BIN:
An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

I am using windows vista (64bit). Can that be the reason?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #394 on: 2009-05-16 16:17:29 »
I have encountered a strange error while trying to create KERNEL.BIN:
An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

I am using windows vista (64bit). Can that be the reason?

I run it on a 32-bit Vista and XP before releasing it so I doubt the 64-bit version is the issue. Do you have zlib1.dll in the same directory as WM? Also, are you running it as Admin?

warmist

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 2009-05-16 17:15:12 »
Both answers are yes. When opened with debuger this is the log:
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\wallmarket\WallMarket.exe'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Remoting\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Remoting.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll'
A first chance exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in WallMarket.exe
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in WallMarket.exe
An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in WallMarket.exe

Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #396 on: 2009-05-18 01:32:24 »
Both answers are yes. When opened with debuger this is the log:
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\wallmarket\WallMarket.exe'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Remoting\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Remoting.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks\9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll'
'WallMarket.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll'
A first chance exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred in WallMarket.exe
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in WallMarket.exe
An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in WallMarket.exe

Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

If looks like you´re using .net 2.0. Uninstall that and install 3.5r1 (or whatever the newest one is).

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2009-05-18 08:24:10 »
Now that it is possible to equip a third Limit Break to each level using WM, does anyone know how to unlock those Limit Breaks ingame?

warmist

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 2009-05-18 09:14:13 »
.net is ver 3.5 sp1(reinstalled just in case).I never had version  2 .net because its vista. Further debugging says that it's from Form1.GZipData... Also I found this in the internet: http://bytes.com/groups/net-c/566671-dll-works-32-bit-machine-but-not-64-bit-machine. Could this be the case?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #399 on: 2009-05-18 16:34:26 »
.net is ver 3.5 sp1(reinstalled just in case).I never had version  2 .net because its vista. Further debugging says that it's from Form1.GZipData... Also I found this in the internet: http://bytes.com/groups/net-c/566671-dll-works-32-bit-machine-but-not-64-bit-machine. Could this be the case?

Huh. Yeah, that sounds exactly like what would be going on here. I assumed it was an issue with the .dll since that's only accessed during creation. I think I changed it to enforce the 32-bit libraries, but I'm not too sure. Can I email it to you for you to try?