Author Topic: Battle Menu Glitch  (Read 15073 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Battle Menu Glitch
« on: 2014-01-13 00:41:41 »
I'm having an odd issue with the battle menu. Anyone else see something like this?

I did a fresh install of the 2012 game and used Kompass63's convertor. I added the files for the new video driver and ran the new Reunion mod, with just about everything selected other than weapon, so it does have the new menu overhaul installed. I kept the original mods\bootleg folder and added the battle, field, world, magic, and condor folders and their pngs to the mods\reunion folder for better textures and effects. Otherwise everything else is default, I don't have an altered kernel or anything (that I did at least). My models are loaded with 7H, but that doesn't seem to have any impact on the issue. The problem's there without 7H and using the Reunion models. 

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Battle Menu Glitch
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-13 01:20:24 »
Either the convertor or Bootleg is the problem. I have reunion and it's displaying fine for me, I don't however have Grimmys magic patch, which is what i believe is those textures.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-13 01:26:48 »
I'm not sure what it is. It did the same thing with other texture files when I added the world png textures. So far it's affected the world and magic folders in the mods folder.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-13 01:42:50 »
I have the world textures as well and that also works just fine.. I'm honestly leaning to bootleg as the issue with the new driver. bootleg is probably pretty sensitive to major changes in the driver

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-13 01:56:06 »
Didn't use bootleg. The new driver doesn't seem configurable in bootloader. I manually converted the game and added the mods folders after running the reunion.

~Reinstalled and used a different convertor. Added new video driver and png textures in mod folders, leaving out the menu overhaul files, works fine so it's not the driver. Going to run the Reunion now.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-13 02:03:29 by cmh175 »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-13 04:30:38 »
Not sure what caused the issue, but decided I was fed up trying new mods. For anyone else who gets this issue, I did a fresh ff7 install and used bootleg to convert my game. Use what ever mods you want there. Then I ran the reunion. Doesn't seem like the reunion and the new video driver are compatible, I can make either one work alone, but it does this together.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-13 07:18:04 by cmh175 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-13 07:48:23 »
I am using the new driver and it is working fine.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-13 08:04:58 by DLPB »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-13 14:00:49 »
You're not using the png magic, battle, or wold textures though, so those folders are probably empty. I was able to get the new video driver and the reunion to work together without the updated textures, but on an HD tv the game just isn't playable that way. The Reunion works for the most part with 7.11b, the only thing I couldn't get to work was the menu for battle options, that still has the blue menu behind it, but the names and states are updated (I actually used those settings with the last MO so that's fine anyway) and Run Always didn't work so I added the .dll for it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-13 14:01:25 »
Well whatever the issue, it certainly isn't my side at fault :)  ;D

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-13 14:07:15 »
I wasn't sure how the mod worked so I had to ask, seems you can change quite a bit with hex editing, but after tons of time troubleshooting it looks like it's the driver. The game isn't really playable without the updated textures though and the Reunion came out really well so I picked that over the updated driver.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-13 14:11:11 »
The real question is, what would the updated driver be doing differently to make that effect above?

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-13 14:34:25 »
lol I have no idea, the folders and files are named accordingly so it makes no sense why they were bleeding onto the battle menu. Everything else seemed to work fine, from what I could tell. It was like banging my head against a wall. With only the battle and menu textures it worked, but world and magic would effect the menu. I'm not sure about Ozmys field textures, maybe since the files for each scene are divided into folders they're ok.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-13 14:37:41 »
It's an issue with the texture cache I bet, I assume you were using 0.8.1b? Apparently I didn't catch every case where it could unload textures which are still in use..

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-13 14:43:47 »
Yup 8.1b, oh ok that could do it. The battle menu actually worked fine for the first battle after starting the game, but afterwards it loaded like this so that could very well be it.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-13 15:00:11 »
Yup 8.1b, oh ok that could do it. The battle menu actually worked fine for the first battle after starting the game, but afterwards it loaded like this so that could very well be it.

I've done multiple battles and it's working fine for me. However, i have a 4 SSD RAID0 so i don't bother using the texture cache. And that could be why i don't have the issue. I'll run a test later with it on, Unless you think it is infact the issue Aali, then i'll leave it be

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-13 15:16:02 »
It's not related to the compressed texture disk cache, it's the limited RAM cache in 0.8b and newer which is causing trouble. (0.7.11b had an unlimited RAM cache which caused the game to crash instead)

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-15 02:16:21 »
Can that be disabled in any way until a fix can be added to an updated release? The default is 256 (MB I assume), would making it 0 disable it for now?
« Last Edit: 2014-01-15 13:12:33 by cmh175 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-15 13:17:17 »
Can that be disabled in any way until a fix can be added to an updated release? The default is 256 (MB I assume), would making it 0 disable it for now?

Try it.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-15 18:14:53 »
I currently have the last driver from a bootleg installation, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I did yet another reinstallation. I need a working game for model testing. 

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #19 on: 2014-01-19 04:20:48 »
I had the same issue. I tried your idea of setting the texture cache size to 0 and it worked! However, I am concerned that if it is truly unlimited then it will crash as per the notes in the config file.

# don't set it any higher than 1GB unless you want your game to crash

So I set it to 1024 and so far this also seems to have fixed the problem. I'm also thinking though, that the problem may come back after a while...

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-01-19 10:43:35 »
Little issue here, with the HP / MP text. Aftyer installing the reunion

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-01-19 12:07:30 »

You are not using the correct texture file.  The one that Reunion installed.  You've swapped it with another (likely the old one from the old installer).

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-01-19 20:34:06 »
I had the same issue. I tried your idea of setting the texture cache size to 0 and it worked! However, I am concerned that if it is truly unlimited then it will crash as per the notes in the config file.

So I set it to 1024 and so far this also seems to have fixed the problem. I'm also thinking though, that the problem may come back after a while...

I wasn't sure increasing the size would work, I just figured it add more textures that would cycle through the battle menu. Very cool I'll have to try that as well. Did you check the app log, did it constantly report any errors? Otherwise that maybe the necessary fix perhaps, we'll have to wait for Aali to confirm.

That's probably from merging a backup of the mods\bootleg folder to install the other upscaled png textures right? You need to make sure not to overwrite anything from the Reunion install though. For the menu the only thing you want to change is the avatar pictures, otherwise you'll have issues like this.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-01-19 22:06:36 »
Ah yes, so I just have to merge from a bootleg install but keep the reunion files. I owerwrited

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #24 on: 2014-01-20 23:28:21 »
I wasn't sure increasing the size would work, I just figured it add more textures that would cycle through the battle menu. Very cool I'll have to try that as well. Did you check the app log, did it constantly report any errors? Otherwise that maybe the necessary fix perhaps, we'll have to wait for Aali to confirm.

Nope, app log is clean; no errors... so far. I've only tested it through the first reactor.