Author Topic: [Solved] Memory problem?  (Read 3018 times)

Sangoku

• View Profile
[Solved] Memory problem?
« on: 2012-06-26 14:30:48 »
Hello everyone!

I've installed FF7 with mods thanks to bootleg and I have a small problem. Whenever I play, I see the memory used by the game increase everytime I change zone/an FMV is playing/etc. It increases up to a point where textures won't load anymore. This result in an anormally long charging time between zones, missing texture and finally a complete freeze in a zone changing black screen. If I quit the game and reload, the textures would load fine though. It's only when I play for some time that it occurs. This result in an obligation to save and restart regularly. I don't know if this is actually a memory problem, but I thought it might be linked.

Any idea on how to solve that?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 2012-06-27 07:37:13 by Sangoku »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Re: Memory problem?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-26 14:36:19 »
There appears to be a memory leak.  This is especially a problem with older Intel video cards.
You might get slightly better performance if you don't install the PNG textures.
Also disable Grimmy's upscaled magic textures.
You may still be able to use the LGP textures without crashes.
This would at least allow you to have some of the improved scenery.

Sangoku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-26 14:56:13 »
Older Intel video cards? I have an NVidia GT 550M with optimus (+ an i7). Is that already old enough?

So it means I'll have to uninstall everything and reinstall it all, removing a lot of improvements? Is there really nothing else I can do?

I guess I'll just continue playing like that, restarting the game every now and then hoping there won't be a too long run without save point...

Thanks anyway for the answer!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-27 01:43:14 »
Optimus? Are you sure it's actually using the nvidia graphics? Optimus has a nasty habit of sometimes using your integrated chipset instead.

Sangoku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-27 07:10:45 »
I don't know, that's why I added that detail  ::). How can I check? Sorry for being a noob by the way.

Oh and I have 8 gigs of memory in total, but the game starts crashing when using "only" 1.4 gigs. If I can't solve the problem at all, is there at least a way to increase the threshold?

Edit: Okay, I just checked, the NVidia card isn't being used! Thanks a lot for having pointed that out, I hope that was the source of the problem. Now I'm going to search how to use it and see if the memory leaks is still there or not.

Edit2: Yay that was it! I just set it manually to run with the NVidia graphic card and now the memory is fine (stays around 100Mo)!

Thanks a lot for the help!
« Last Edit: 2012-06-27 07:36:54 by Sangoku »