Author Topic: First Model  (Read 20570 times)

SilenceSD

• View Profile
First Model
« on: 2010-02-24 04:32:37 »
Greetings all, I'm new to modeling and have a few pics of how my first project is going. The model will be a Soldier 2nd/3rd class. I'll be happy to take any tips offered.

I'm aware that the models are chopped up for assembly in game. I have a pic below of the method i'm using to model to help with the construction, and yes, I have to split the pelvis and legs apart. Are there any reasons I should make the model all together and then split it up later, has anyone tried the method i'm using? Also I'm working with a subsurface added, will there be a problem with exporting it like that? Thanks all!

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
Re: First Model
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-24 05:39:56 »
hmm.. i think his shoulder and legs are a little to wide?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-24 13:34:05 »
I do beleive the SOLDIER's shoulders are about that wide. My #1 peice of advice- take of subsurfaces :P You should aim for your model to be only a few thousand polies. other than that yer doin a fine job!

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-25 01:25:29 »
Thank you tet ans timu. I'm going to drop the subsurface then. :P. I'm remaking the legs and chest then I'll post new pics.

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-26 08:07:06 »
Updated pics! Body finished, for the most part. I think I have to rebuild the torso and legs, but hey, it's a start. My poly count is about 3k, any advice on easy ways to get poly count down without destroying the model? Thanks all!

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-26 08:11:32 »
wow.. nice one SD..  ;D
looks like megaman with a sword..
your doing a great job there.. try to keep it up..  ;)

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-02-26 09:05:43 »
Thanks Tetsujin! Megaman? Hmm, maybe I'll have to change that too. I decided to learn to texture before I do a reduction on the poly count. and hey, if it looks good enough I can just go with it, ha ha. N-e-wayz, found the materials and assigned colors. Any thoughts on design and or colors are welcome!
http://umbra_clone.webs.com/2010-02-26_0459.png

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-02-26 10:12:48 »
ignore the megaman thingy...  ;D
it looks really good to me.. and can you put some designs on their sword??

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-02-26 10:15:37 »
Wewt! No meagman here baby! I'm going to remodel the sword to be the SOLDIER sword from crisis core. Those colors are just place holders for the texture...when ever I get that far, still learning, ha ha!

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-02-26 10:19:34 »
i know you can do it.. you have the potential and talent you know..
unlike me.. im just here to help newbies and give comments to the likes of you.. haha..  ;D

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-02-26 10:24:43 »
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure you can put something together that is better then this! I have no talent. I like making shapes and have a lot of time to blow recently. ha ha!

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-02-26 10:48:53 »
This looks pretty good. The only thing I'll notice is that the pants aren't as baggy as the original. Keep up the good work, though!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-02-26 15:28:30 »
a general rule of optimization, get rid of useless edgeloops... you has some :P, particularly one the arms and the shoulder pads, just try and maintain the shape while taking out the loops.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: 2010-02-26 16:51:22 »
Thanks Tetsujin! Megaman? Hmm, maybe I'll have to change that too. I decided to learn to texture before I do a reduction on the poly count. and hey, if it looks good enough I can just go with it, ha ha. N-e-wayz, found the materials and assigned colors. Any thoughts on design and or colors are welcome!
http://umbra_clone.webs.com/2010-02-26_0459.png

...Wow

*Deletes crappy SOLDIER model and starts on a different one*

Maybe I should just stick to making boring models...

anyway, nice work there! keep it up :P

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-02-26 16:55:13 »
You could probably lose a few polys off the helmet and the boots with little visual impact.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-02-26 19:57:10 »
My only problem with this is that the belt seems a little too tight, and kinda way too high up it almost looks like he's trying to wear it as a bra. and the pants seem a little awkwardly shaped.. idk that could just be me.. but it looks like it could be a really great model :D. this is all just my opinion though. i personally think this will turn out great.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-02-26 20:54:36 »

...Wow

Or you could work on your junon scene  :P

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-02-28 02:27:11 »
My only problem with this is that the belt seems a little too tight, and kinda way too high up it almost looks like he's trying to wear it as a bra. and the pants seem a little awkwardly shaped.. idk that could just be me.. but it looks like it could be a really great model :D. this is all just my opinion though. i personally think this will turn out great.

Yep, you're right, lol. Made the girdle shorter and a bit more loose around the abdomen. And the legs were bo-legged, also fixed. I never knew making models was this much work. I now have much more respect for modelers, animators and texture artists.

...Wow

Ha ha. I'm not too sure about it now, I may not be finished for a while. If you want to make an exciting model try Tifa, from the sound on the forum everyone would be very happy about that. Oh, and thanks for the youtube vids you put up, I'll be using those very soon!

I'm working on fitting all the parts together so when combined they look good even through animation. When thats finished and I'm confident that I'm finished editing the mesh I'll post pre-texture pics.

Thanks for the general tips everyone. You guys are making this a lot easier. :P I am quite confused on the texturing part tho. Am I supposed to make the entire model a single mesh then seem it or am I to treat each part as a different mesh even for seems/texturing?

Again, thanks everyone.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-02-28 02:36:46 »
Good to hear you take criticism well. I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I have faith, from what I've seen so far, that this will be an excellent project. Good luck ;)

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: 2010-02-28 09:58:30 »
If you want to make an exciting model try Tifa, from the sound on the forum everyone would be very happy about that. Oh, and thanks for the youtube vids you put up, I'll be using those very soon!
If memory serves me right, Tifa's Actually already been taken by Timu, He just hasn't worked on her in a while  :P
And you just reminded me about that video! It's actually a little outdated now, since I don't think you need to convert textures to 8-Bit, 256 Colour BMPs anymore, IMG2Tex, I believe, supports conversion of full PNG files

Am I supposed to make the entire model a single mesh then seem it or am I to treat each part as a different mesh even for seems/texturing?
Definately keep it as one mesh. You're only gonna want one texture for the entire model at the end, and it makes things a lot simpler in the long run. When you're confident the model is 100% complete, textures and all, then you start chopping it up.

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-02-28 12:12:33 »
Good to hear you take criticism well. I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I have faith, from what I've seen so far, that this will be an excellent project. Good luck ;)

There is only one way to learn, and I like to do things right. Pics of mesh below, let me know what you think.

If memory serves me right, Tifa's Actually already been taken by Timu, He just hasn't worked on her in a while  :P
And you just reminded me about that video! It's actually a little outdated now, since I don't think you need to convert textures to 8-Bit, 256 Colour BMPs anymore, IMG2Tex, I believe, supports conversion of full PNG files

Ah, I did read that Tifa was unfinished. Maybe he should finish it instead of posting up a storm. :) I'll have to get IMG2Tex then! WEWT!

Definately keep it as one mesh. You're only gonna want one texture for the entire model at the end, and it makes things a lot simpler in the long run. When you're confident the model is 100% complete, textures and all, then you start chopping it up.

Oh, well... Hmm.. look at what I done...
http://umbra_clone.webs.com/2010-02-28_0621.png

even if it's all chopped up like that is it considered one mesh? Am I doing it correctly, ha ha ha. Oh man... I'm a total nub. Thanks all.

***BONUS*** POSED MODEL! Wire frames on the side, highlight is model, black is original ff7 SOLDIER.
http://umbra_clone.webs.com/2010-02-28_0807.png

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: 2010-02-28 12:35:51 »
Wow, looking good  ;D

The good news is that it doesn't have to be all one mesh to texture it. You can apply the same texture to all parts simultaneously, just make sure They're UV mapped to the same texture. I.e it won't work if you've got loads of different images for each seperate model part and the UV maps aren't placed seperately and..well I'm not going to be able to explain this well, but hopefully you get what I mean. Bottom line is, if each model is UV mapped properly in different places to one big texture, it'll work fine.

SilenceSD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-02-28 12:41:38 »
Sweet. You did a good job explaining it. :) But just to make sure.. As long as the meshes all link off the same texture map picture it will be alright because the files request a part of that image. At least thats what I think you said, lol.

So it's possible then to map multiple models with the same texture map?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-02-28 14:25:45 »
Looking awesome silenceSD, keep up the great work. you basically made 2 or 3 enemies (i forgot if you ever fight SOLDIER first class or not) just change the color :D

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-02-28 15:42:30 »
Make sure you split it before texturing, as teh caps of each peice need to be textured too! :P Experiment a lot with uv mapping, look at how other models are mapped.