« on: 2012-02-27 22:02:10 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 07:23:54 by Jenova's Witness »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 editors source code
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-27 22:33:07 »
Well the source for kimera was hosted on megaupload...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-27 23:02:16 »
Several aren't open source in the first place.

I also need to formally change the docs for Libre to make clear it's now open-source. Not that I really want people to actually look at the source - it was the first app I wrote, and boy does it show.

Likewise, I intend to make my planned AI editor project open-source in some capacity too.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-28 13:10:42 »
there are links to the blackchocobo source on the page.

use the dl tar ball link from a folder on the page

http://blackchocobo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/blackchocobo/

the "trunk" folder will contain the WIP version (always)
the "releases" folder has several other folders one for each released version.

im also working on what will be a toolkit for all those who want to create ff7 tools (and as always contributors are welcome). some of it is located in the Expermental folder. it will of course be open source (gplv3)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-28 16:45:52 »
What's in your tools?

We could do with a library for modelling native FF7 data as objects.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-28 17:10:23 »
What's in your tools?

i plan for my tools to include a set of classes and gui objects to allow creation of just about any tool for  use with ff7 data.  the tools themselves will not be for end users, they will be for programmers to use to make creation of new tools easier. right now im focused on those that will be used in black chocobo im in the process of rewriting bc for 2.0. it will be the first program to use this toolkit (and then expand it from there)

We could do with a library for modelling native FF7 data as objects.
im not sure i get what your asking for.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-28 20:57:29 »
Frameworks that let developers abstract away the binaries of different releases (PC, PSX PAL, PSX JP, etc.) and let them simply use setter and getter methods with fileobjects.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-28 21:05:23 »
Frameworks that let developers abstract away the binaries of different releases (PC, PSX PAL, PSX JP, etc.) and let them simply use setter and getter methods with fileobjects.

in that case then yes thats basicly what im working on.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-28 23:21:00 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 07:24:07 by Jenova's Witness »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-29 12:19:44 »
I really don't care how it looks, as long as it can be cross-platform and it can be forked into an editor for Saga Frontier.

A lot of what we're doing can't, I'm afraid. It's FF7-specific.

*Recognize different disc image formats.

This is something some open libraries can already support, at least to an extent.

*Edit static data tables in game files (note that I'm not changing the size of any files).
*The last one is kinda difficult to describe.  I have data for enemies inside of 256 different files.  The files can be any size, but you can find the enemy data block by using the pointers at the beginning of every enemy file.  So I need something which will open every enemy file, navigate via pointers to the data block, and then paste the modified info to that block.

Again, these are going to be FF7-specific. Sithlord's project is probably going to handle something like this.

*Info on the smartest way to create a patch format.  So far, the data is nothing but static data tables.  I'd really like patches from older versions of the editor to be backwards compatible, so they need some kind of meta data identifying what each block of data is.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You mean circulating patches in a non-binary format with appropriate metadata? I suggested something similar here, where I proposed libraries for transforming native binary data into parseable XML.

@All you guys:
Why not host all the FF7 tools that are Open Source on a single git or mercurial repository?  Not because you need to, but because it could give random coders who appear the chance to contribute something, or to take what they need for their own projects.

We don't really have the server resources. It might be easier to use a third party like Sourceforge.

It's a good idea to make it as easy as possible for anyone, of any skill level, to contribute.  Otherwise, why even share at all - just write your own tool from scratch, tell everyone how it's better than all other tools, and then never respond to bug reports or feature requests, ever.

Creating a library of tools for efficiently manipulating native data reduces the barrier to entry and allows competition between frontends and their workflows. That's a good thing.