Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 524672 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #425 on: 2010-06-24 15:05:48 »
I based the colours on the original art - but I'm wondering whether the art I'm using is a little off. The one on the first page seems different, more like the original model.
That being said, I really can't be bothered to recolour every individual piece of him now. I can make adjustments at the end when it's all been flattened.

Slightly off topic: I've worked on wedge for so long now I think I'm building up an emotional attatchment, like you do with characters in a movie or game. I think I'mma cry when he dies ingame now, it'll give a whole new dimension to the game :P
« Last Edit: 2010-06-24 15:08:19 by NCS »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2010-06-24 15:24:53 »
:3 btw i like the W on his belt, but the buckle seems to be metalic silver on the original model.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #427 on: 2010-06-24 15:38:37 »
Actually, I had it metal in a previous UVing, but I realised the art contradicts it. Tbh, I'mma probably make it metal again though, since I'm going for a mix of original model and original art (the entire belt seems to be metal on the original model).

EDIT:
Not too sure about the shorts so far:
http://ncs.millenia3d.net/Screencap/2010-06-24_1728.png

EDIT2:
Cut his top a little too low - I lol'd.
http://ncs.millenia3d.net/Screencap/2010-06-24_1839.png

EDIT3:
Another slightly pointless WIP shot:
http://ncs.millenia3d.net/Wedge/WIP/WedgetexWIP2.png
« Last Edit: 2011-04-02 19:28:14 by BlitzNCS »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 2010-06-25 00:41:57 »
looks fantastic NCS! is anyone working on making the default eyes look a little bit smoother? I'm almost up and running with the laptop jeff sent me, so i can actually start participating again!

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #429 on: 2010-06-25 01:06:28 »
Those eyes are just placeholders in the texture for when I can be bothered to actually make new ones, in fact, they've been upscaled and filtered, but you can't really tell :P
« Last Edit: 2010-06-25 09:56:11 by NCS »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 2010-06-25 01:13:48 »
Nice work you're doing there NCS. Keep it up!

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 2010-06-25 07:21:22 »
Nice work so far NCS, very impressive.

I've worked on wedge for so long now I think I'm building up an emotional attatchment, like you do with characters in a movie or game. I think I'mma cry when he dies ingame now, it'll give a whole new dimension to the game :P

Yeah it is kinda sad lol, your cool new model is going to get crushed by a pillar.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2010-06-26 18:07:49 »
I like the chibi style characters better that the "real" looking ones anyway. Nice as always NCS can't wait till I get done with my project to join TA in this. The chibi models actually look like something I can do.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2010-06-27 07:05:00 »
I guess I should start posting this here then since I am doing it for this project. :P. Though my skills are less then satisfactory. Here is my schpeel on the red Shinra guard. It's just a W.I.P... The hands are crappy. :p.

Edit:

it kinda fails... but:

« Last Edit: 2010-06-28 02:56:57 by Mendelevium »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 2010-06-29 03:55:11 »
I wish I could program or model in even the slightest bit. I have some artistic talent, but nothing close to what is needed. Maybe that'll change as I go to college.

Edit: You know, I can draw characters and critters somewhat. Maybe someone needs a drawing of a character to reference? I can do that. A little.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 04:02:02 by Mirenheart »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2010-06-29 04:00:40 »
Then do some retexturing work in the battle scenes or field backgrounds, all you need is Photoshop skills for that.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #436 on: 2010-06-29 08:33:46 »

A bit different from the original but I've got just 3 words for you Timu:

;D

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2010-06-29 08:55:20 »
Lol reminded me of the newest episode of unforgotten realms lol, did they steal that joke from somewhere? Or did they make it?

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2010-06-29 10:26:44 »
Maybe use that battle model combined with jeffdamann ground texture; would be the best imo.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #439 on: 2010-06-29 13:42:17 »
Maybe use that battle model combined with jeffdamann ground texture; would be the best imo.

I agree. I don't think you have actually used this scene in the game yet. If you have, you would of seen that your perspective is screwy. You have the assets  on the"floor" all messed up.

Let me explain.

The "80" that is on the ground is rather iconic. I can see why you included it in your updated scene. The problem is that it also acts as a visual device to let you know that you are fighting on a road. It also and defines the "center" of the battlefield. In your version, you put the "80" in the center of the road, but it's so far back and down, you will barely ever see it. You made it the center device for the scene, but not for the battle.

Let me show you....

What I have highlighted in yellow is the area most seen by the camera during battle. Notice that it's not in the center of the battlefield, but in a corner of it. Also notice that the camera sits about where the near "curb" is. There is no reason to draw the other "half" of the road because it's never seen.

The pipes in the back break up the ground visually so that the camera sweep during the "fanfare" animation doesn't focus on flat boring road.

Keep in mind, during the battles that this scene uses, you have next to no magic and the camera does not sweep very far. The camera does not pan at all when you make a physical attack which is 90% of the commands you make here.

There's more to this scene than just a model.

You need to bump the "80" to where the old one used to be. Also put the green cobblestone back, it's the same texture used in the field files.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 13:49:31 by halkun »

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #440 on: 2010-06-29 13:51:59 »
>Multiple instances where "80" is used
It's actually 08, for Sector 8 :P
*shot for being a smart-ass and making a useless, off-topic post*

EDIT: Although, actually, I do agree. I think perhaps the field scene should match it for continuity. Of course, you can change it around a bit, but not the the extent that it's noticably very different to where it's supposed to be.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 13:55:58 by NCS »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #441 on: 2010-06-29 13:55:02 »
original battle scene for context.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 2010-06-29 14:46:26 »
Although, actually, I do agree. I think perhaps the field scene should match it for continuity. Of course, you can change it around a bit, but not the the extent that it's noticably very different to where it's supposed to be.

100% agree. Not only for continuity, but wouldn't it be a lot easier and faster to re-use textures for both field and battle?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #443 on: 2010-06-29 15:32:05 »
I'm not sure if using the exact same assets would work considering the battle scene isn't actually a part of the field scene. It's more of a representation of the entirety of the outside sector 8 in a convenient little area perfect for battling in.
All this aside, the way the field scenes are rendered is also very different to how battle scenes are rendered (i.e pre-rendered as opposed to realtime), so using the exact same textures wouldn't necessarily even be possible. I would suggest waiting 'til Spoox finishes the field scene so there's a few references to go by, and you can work from there. Not that I don't like the way you've done it so far, Millenia, it's just a little too far from the original.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2010-06-29 15:39:36 »
an easy way to avoid the ground problems, is to texture right over the original ... and use the old  mapping for it etc.

edit: besides this is my 1337 post, you should listen to me :P
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 16:05:51 by Timu Sumisu »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2010-06-29 22:53:27 »
An evening stroll (?) at the station, not much progress on these scenes, been busy doing other things....

and a few meters further on...

and a little hint on something else....  8)

take a guess......

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 2010-06-29 23:28:37 »

and a little hint on something else....  8)

take a guess......
Midgar headquarters :D

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2010-06-30 16:49:15 »
Midgar headquarters :D

hmmm was to easy, the next one I'll make more difficult.... if anyone's still interested after seeing Stigma's amazing work... ??? ???

just basic lighting, no materials...yet.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2010-06-30 17:02:00 »
Nice work spooX. Just out of curiosity, how many different scenes are you working on?

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2010-06-30 17:37:39 »
Nice work spooX. Just out of curiosity, how many different scenes are you working on?

ohw...I'll have to take a look, one moment please......
*shuffles on hard drive* thinks he must make a backup.....

Midgar:
MD0,MD1STIN,MD1_1,MD1_2,NRTHMK,SOUTHMK1,SOUTHMK2,SMKIN_2,NMKIN_2,FALLP

SINBIL_1,....
PILLAR_1,PILLAR_2,PILLAR_3

non-Midgar:
A****1,A****2,A****3,A****4
E****_1,E****_2,E****_12

that would make about 20 something... :o ??? ::)
is that bad?