Author Topic: FF7 Remake general thread  (Read 84488 times)

StickySock

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
« Reply #100 on: 2015-12-08 00:46:16 »
It seems my prediction that Nomura's ideas for FFVS13 were transferred to FF7 when he was replaced as director was correct. The combat has been described as like KH but a little more strategic (I would assume like FFVS13), character switching is in, and the multi-part release (World of Versus Epic, anyone?) are all present in FF7.

The only way I'd get this now is if each game they release is actually good, each game has save transfer that carries over level, loot, gil, etc. (standard levels and gear for people starting on that game without save data), and once all the games were out they compiled them onto one disc as a "complete trilogy" or whatever. Then, if none of the games were crap, I would buy the trilogy for no more than $60. Writing this now it seems that the best case scenario for me is that these games turn out to not be trash (they are adding new stuff and cutting old stuff, and since Squaresoft > Square Enix, this isn't likely) and I finally get to play them 12+ years down the road when they're all out....

picklejar

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2015-12-08 05:09:27 »
Lots more info here:
http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

ATB and Limit Breaks will still be part of the game, but they won't play exactly the same role. It will be less action-based and more strategic than other recent games.

Each "episode" will be the size of a full game. If your data carries over from game to game, will be interesting. I'm guessing many people will probably max out their stats while waiting for the next release.

Article also explains Cloud's pale appearance and confirms cross dressing story stays.

Anyway, read for yourself...

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2015-12-08 08:58:42 »
Oh... my... god... the confirmation of both Advent Children style graphics and over-the-top hack'n slash gameplay was to be expected, but it's still a big bummer to me. Basically, this remake is now going to be the exact opposite of what I had hoped for (not that I had much hope to begin with, my faith in Square Enix was shattered one too many times in the recent years). That alone will already be reason enough for me to NOT be getting it.

But now the additional confirmation that it won't even be released as a full game, but rather in episodes? It's very hard to put my feelings on that into words. It's like my disappointment just hit a whole new level that I didn't even know existed.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #103 on: 2015-12-08 10:29:53 »
That it will be released in an episodic-like fashion makes sense considering how little time there is for development. I even jokingly told myself this would be the only way they could possibly make a release before 2018.

This format doesn't bother me that much if it is made "correctly". However, knowing this is a AAA company, and SE to boot, we all know it will be milked to some extend. It's utterly unavoidable.

If they somehow made each episode within the $20 area, with a solid amount of content and option to transfer saves between episodes I wouldn't blame them too much. I see no reason why it would not be possible to have a shared worldmap, and other resources, for all episodes. But the worldmap thing probably wont happen anyway...

The way I predict it is more like a FF13 kind of thing. No option to go back. Stuck in episode etc.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2015-12-08 11:27:47 »

Article also explains Cloud's pale appearance and confirms cross dressing story stays.

The style they've taken this Cloud in can't be explained away as "part of the story" or anything else.  The original game had a brash and strong soldier with a memory and ego problem.  Psychologically damaged. The new Cloud is based on the kind we saw in AC and some other media = weedy arms, emo, looking like some gangly teenager with no balls. The style of the original manga and the new pseudo-realistic (to use someone else's description) graphics are polar opposites. As for the paleness, you can find any number of reasons for it, but to me it's just more faffing about by Nomura.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2015-12-08 13:34:42 »
Oh... my... god... the confirmation of both Advent Children style graphics and over-the-top hack'n slash gameplay was to be expected, but it's still a big bummer to me. Basically, this remake is now going to be the exact opposite of what I had hoped for (not that I had much hope to begin with, my faith in Square Enix was shattered one too many times in the recent years). That alone will already be reason enough for me to NOT be getting it.

But now the additional confirmation that it won't even be released as a full game, but rather in episodes? It's very hard to put my feelings on that into words. It's like my disappointment just hit a whole new level that I didn't even know existed.
And you know what sucks even more? The existence of the remake will discourage people even more to keep modding the original game. Either way, for us original fans it's a sh1tty situation.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2015-12-08 13:36:49 »
And you know what sucks even more? The existence of the remake will discourage people even more to keep modding the original game. Either way, for us original fans it's a sh1tty situation.

Yay!  I get to say something positive:  I think this is actually a good thing.  The renewed interest in Final Fantasy VII will be win-win for Qhimm's, modders, and projects already released. It's true that a lot of the people introduced to Final Fantasy through this won't want to play an "old" game.  But a lot of people - especially those alienated by this "remake" - will.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2015-12-08 13:50:17 »
Yay!  I get to say something positive:  I think this is actually a good thing.  The renewed interest in Final Fantasy VII will be win-win for Qhimm's, modders, and projects already released. It's true that a lot of the people introduced to Final Fantasy through this won't want to play an "old" game.  But a lot of people - especially those alienated by this "remake" - will.
I hope this will be the case, maybe I'm not optimistic enough. Could have to do with the fact that Square Enix robbed me of all my optimism since the initial announcement.

I see no reason why it would not be possible to have a shared worldmap, and other resources, for all episodes. But the worldmap thing probably wont happen anyway...

The way I predict it is more like a FF13 kind of thing. No option to go back. Stuck in episode etc.

I also don't think they are gonna make a worldmap (would be too good to be true) but as I recall there are some places you have to visit multiple times. So if they structure the remake as a linear game I wonder how they justify the characters going back to some place you had visited earlier. If they had a world map it would be not as problematic because you simply went there yourself.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2015-12-08 13:56:31 »
It's very easy to drop content in those cases... or if using a chapter based approach, simply factor that into the chapter.  In that way you can easily return to same places.  The story has to be altered slightly and script changes making - but they're doing that already.

Calone

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2015-12-08 16:02:51 »
The style they've taken this Cloud in can't be explained away as "part of the story" or anything else.  The original game had a brash and strong soldier with a memory and ego problem.  Psychologically damaged. The new Cloud is based on the kind we saw in AC and some other media = weedy arms, emo, looking like some gangly teenager with no balls. The style of the original manga and the new pseudo-realistic (to use someone else's description) graphics are polar opposites. As for the paleness, you can find any number of reasons for it, but to me it's just more faffing about by Nomura.
This is something I still don't understand. I've seen people use this excuse everywhere, but mako poisoning/lighting does not justify the extreme changes to Cloud's bone structure and hair. Also I am seeing a lot of people saying they prefer this more "masculinized" version of Cloud, despite one key point in the game is for him to pass as an attractive woman. Seriously, someone said he shouldn't be prettier than Tifa, but my argument would be - if played right - Don chooses HIM over her... so yeah... I think that was supposed to be the joke in the game. It will just fall flat if he looks like a meth head.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2015-12-08 16:08:11 »
A masculine look can still become pretty enough for cross-dressing when paired with the right makeup. I'm sure they'll add a few more parts to the crossdressing mission to compensate.

Overall I like the new look of Cloud compared to his looks in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts, even if not compared to concept art or the original game. It's still not really in line with the original at all, but I really appreciate that he doesn't look like Lightning anymore.

Calone

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2015-12-08 16:39:08 »
There is only so much makeup can do with the bone structure. It's true make up can work wonders, but if you have a masculine frame, you're still going to look obvious.

Check out this picture:

I wouldn't call it hyper masculine but there are clearer traits to this model, that will make it difficult for him to blend in for that portion of the game, and to be frank, I just prefer a more feminine style anyway. It lends itself to Cloud's struggle, I feel. He was always this weak character who never made it into soldier, and I feel it shows with a more baby face/innocent design.

Take for instance the ending of Crisis Core. Cloud's reaction to Zack's fate is heart breaking, because we see those innocent puppy dog eyes as he registers that his hero is no more. Those eyes never change - or at least I like to think that - through out the game. Everything he experiences, once you slice past the layers of his "tough, uncaring" persona, I think Cloud is actually in a perpetual state of vulnerability. All these terrible things keep happening to him, and the people around him.

My biggest complaint is the close up at the end of the trailer, though. it's very "uncanny valley"
« Last Edit: 2015-12-08 16:42:39 by Calone »

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2015-12-08 16:46:07 »
I think one of the most noticeable things is how his eyes can no longer be cartoon big for his face, but his face is the same sharp shape - I think now he's going to look even more similar to Sephy, apart from the hair.
I'd love for how believable /beautiful his dress and makeup look would be affected by how much effort you put in to the quest. Rushing through it, he's obviously a dude in a dress and a wig. Would be a lot of fun.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2015-12-08 16:49:02 »
When I first played through wallmarket, I just assumed Dorn Corneo was an idiot for choosing what was obviously a man.  Albeit, a man wearing a necklace, earrings, and tiara,  but still obviously a man.

I'm actually fine with Cloud's sickly appearance now that I think about it.  Even within the original, you find out that he was experimented on and that Zack had to look out for him for weeks until he was able to snap out of it.  My problem with it now is that when playing the original, all of that info was a complete surprise.  I'd like Cloud to not look well at the start of the remake, but only so much so that you wouldn't really know, so that once you reached the part where you find out about him and Zack you could kinda look back at the beginning and think "Yeah, I can totally see how he was sick".  Right now it's just too in your face I think.
I also like that the old style buster is back, and am really curious about the reasons he chose to cover the gold hilt(?) like that.

I'm also not a fan of Nomura saying he wanted/wants to redesign the characters.  The douchebag needs to stick to the original designs.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2015-12-08 17:56:11 »
I'm actually fine with Cloud's sickly appearance now that I think about it.  Even within the original, you find out that he was experimented on and that Zack had to look out for him for weeks until he was able to snap out of it.  My problem with it now is that when playing the original, all of that info was a complete surprise.  I'd like Cloud to not look well at the start of the remake, but only so much so that you wouldn't really know, so that once you reached the part where you find out about him and Zack you could kinda look back at the beginning and think "Yeah, I can totally see how he was sick".  Right now it's just too in your face I think.
I also like that the old style buster is back, and am really curious about the reasons he chose to cover the gold hilt(?) like that.

My thoughts exactly. Cloud was totally drugged/poisoned? out of his mind at the end of Crisis Core, he also saw his only friend shot into swiss cheese by Shinra soldiers right in front of his eyes, with blood everywhere. I don't know how much time passed between the end of Crisis Core and the bombing mission but Cloud should probably be fairly emotionally damaged, confused and full of vengeance at the beginning of FF7. He should look slightly deranged and angry.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2015-12-08 18:16:11 »
Does anyone think the first "game" will be out in holiday 2017? I've been looking at FFXIII's trilogy as a reference (FFXIII 2010, FFXIII-2 2012, FFXIII:LR 2014), and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar here. They have been working on this game since 2014, a while before Nomura was removed as director for FFXV. FFXIII took like what, 4 years to make? And that was building an engine and game from the ground up. FF7 is using Unreal 4 in order to speed up development, so it's not unreasonable to believe the game could be finished in 3 years. Then, reusing assets, they could easily crank out another game every 2 years.

So my guess is that it is going to look like this:

FF7: Midgar (2017)
FF7: Aerith dies and Cloud goes crazy (2019)
FF7: Cloud recovers and they finish off Shinra and Sephiroth. (2021)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2015-12-08 19:03:58 »
I can't guess how long they will take but can assume that development in general should be much faster with ff7 than 13 or 15. Three big factors for why I think this: they already have the main plot points of the story and characters worked out, square is contracting out dev work this time around instead of struggling to do it all in-house, and they chose to use a well supported, pre built 3rd party engine. Even if they choose to take their time, the dev process should still be far more productive than the last few games they've made.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2015-12-08 20:24:16 »
2021?  I wouldn't think so.  They will want this all out asap.  I reckon all of it by 2019 at the latest.  Have they given a release day for any part yet?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2015-12-08 21:18:20 »
Not yet but smack bang on the 20th anniversary would be a smart guess for part 1.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2015-12-08 21:23:21 »
Hmm so jan 2017?  I'd think they may even get a part out in 2016.  But we'll see.

[edit. This was a bad prediction.  Looks like being 2017 - but I still wouldn't be surprised if all parts are fired out before 2020.]
« Last Edit: 2016-08-29 23:40:43 by DLPB »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2015-12-08 21:25:59 »
They probably could but they wouldn't be that stupi- never mind, they would.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2015-12-08 21:31:47 »
I don't think they will release anything in 2016 since FFXV is coming in 2016. I am guessing the two year intervals because each game is supposedly the content of a "full release". To me, that means each entry needs to have the content of FFXIII: LR and FFXIII-2, which I don't think they can release any faster. I am guessing each "game" is a 25-30 hour story (padded out in a way similar to the Hobbit Trilogy, with side stories and crap added in), released every two years.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2015-12-08 22:00:47 »
I don't think they will release anything in 2016 since FFXV is coming in 2016. I am guessing the two year intervals because each game is supposedly the content of a "full release". To me, that means each entry needs to have the content of FFXIII: LR and FFXIII-2, which I don't think they can release any faster. I am guessing each "game" is a 25-30 hour story (padded out in a way similar to the Hobbit Trilogy, with side stories and crap added in), released every two years.
I would guess faster than that. Characters and animations would already be mostly done. I think the time would come from recording voices and designing maps since very few if any of them are palette swaps

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2015-12-08 22:03:21 »
I'd be willing to give them longer if I thought real effort was being placed in or some - you know - leadership and order.  I don't get that vibe at all.   I also think it's telling that some English voice acting has already been recorded.  That's very telling.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-08 22:28:03 by DLPB »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2015-12-08 22:18:16 »
"there will be three-member parties in Final Fantasy VII Remake and free switching between them, and while the ATB gauge will be present, it won't be the type that fills up while you wait to attack but instead its own system that "lends to the action of this game".

Wait what.... only three members or do they just mean for the first episode...I hope?

EDIT: Nm I misread that, so three member parties like how it originally was as opposed to the four member parties in some of the other ones, but with the ffx  system where you can swap out mid battle? Kind of a confusing sentence.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-08 22:20:04 by olearyf2525 »