Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837660 times)

Spotty Len

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #4025 on: 2016-07-28 11:38:38 »
Have you gone down the Crater yet to where the party is gathered for the last time? That triggers the sidequests even if you get the key beforehand.
Woops, I didn't expect that. I figured they were active, since I managed to get Highwind for Cid. Thanks for the info.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: 2016-07-28 14:01:54 »
Thought I'd give some brutally honest boss feedback from what I've done so far since I re-addicted myself to Fallout 3.

Spoiler: show
X-ATM is well improved. The fact that he launches you out of battle instead of mega damage is a very nice "Oh Hell" moment. I always set off his counter on purpose to get some limit breaks in but this time? Nope.

The quintet of Shinra soldiers when you set up the second bomb is really challenging and hits you with plenty of curveballs. The fact that this is such a brutal fight with basic enemies is what I like to see.

Plasma Buster is, overall, quite weak if you know how his turning works, but still a pushover if you don't. Tranq Shot really just prolongs the battle instead of making it more challenging.

Aps Snr. doesn't put up much of a fight at all. He feels the same and Aerith's healing staff means it's just a case of healing all the time. Tsunami inflicting something like Confusion on top of Poison would make the fight really messy, or having him absorb water instead of nullify it.

Reno is somewhat easy but to be fair, a chunk of his difficulty comes from having to do the Don's shag pad mansion, the sewers, train graveyard, and the support tower with little room to breathe. Also his new pyramid attack is bugged slightly, the dark pyramid persists long after it has worn off.

I am curious, does he use Pyramid in later battles? You'd think that such an effective tactic would be used more often.

Thousand Gunner and the two helis was quite evil on your part. Anyone with a brain would equip Barret with elemental=lightning and you accounting for that in the second half was nothing short of a crime against humanity. If you go into this fight without fire or ice equipped, your only choice is limit breaks which really makes the battle drag on longer than it should. Can you get hypers at this point? That would be a useful mitigation to the counter.

Sample G0624 was quite well done in terms of his gimmick, but Matra Magic shuts him down and leaves him open to all kinds of brutalizing.

Rufus has a bit too much HP. It just boils down to chipping his HP away when you kill Light Nation and healing when needed. Since Light Nation keeps Rufus alive with healing magic quite well, him using Healing Wind on-death seems a bit redundant.

Rubicante GT was tough but also fun, and all but mandates using Aerith and Barret/Red's passives. Without Geo Stance being used, you spend more time healing than fighting. Just one less person to heal after his attack makes a huge difference.

Elena and Rude (after patching Elena's HP) was decent but also rather lackluster. Turk Cure doesn't really change things for the better since you can just barrier or back row and maybe grind out a few limit breaks.

Illuyankas was a royal pain in the ass due to Aquapolo inflicting dual and imprison. Their immunity to physical attacks was just evil, especially since he imprisoned the one person who had attack magic.

Jenova, where do I start, this fight was very challenging on Active. Doing it again with a holy-elemental attack made it much more tolerable. Her pods only seem to add longevity to the fight than actually changing things up though. Hurling ailments all over the place devoured my actions quite well. To me, a good boss is one that doesn't give you a window to attack.

XATM's third appearance was a surprise, and him absorbing lightning once again slapped me in the face by laughing at preparation. I love it when you do that. Dyne doing the same thing by countering poison was also clever.

Reno wiring up Cloud and leaving the fight to be 2-on-2 was just sadistic. I had Cloud rigged up with Recover, Counter, Cover, Element=Poison, and BAM. Only Red was able to do damage since Aerith was using the healing staff. I deserved that.

Lich GT is probably my favorite fight so far. Though the Attack Squad can be torn down with X-Potions from Gold Saucer or Elixir use, that tactic requires grinding (which goes against the spirit of the mod in the first place) or using a powerful item. He was legit tough.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: 2016-07-28 14:20:35 »
Sorry to bother again, but I got an issue regarding Red XIII's Sidequest. I went to see Bugenhagen again, I got the message stating I got the Gi Cave Key and the Seraph Comb, but I still can't open the door again. This is all I get.

I don't know if you need to have the key in your Items or if it just a flag, but it is not there.

Yeah, I'm trying to remove that crater condition from as many things as I can so that everything can be accessed a little earlier. That event especially because it does actually trigger but then can't be resolved until the Crater is successfully navigated (which makes no sense).

I use the Platinum PC release, so it's probably a small change in how FMVs are handled.

That might be it, if it's the old 1998 PC version.

Thought I'd give some brutally honest boss feedback from what I've done so far since I re-addicted myself to Fallout 3.

Spoiler: show
I can try some things with Air Buster, maybe reinstate his Big Bomber attack in some form. Tackling his AI for turning, etc. will likely be a big undertaking though and expanding his moveset may prove difficult.

Aps was set to absorb Water in either the original NT builds or the first Arrange mode, which made things a bit more tug o' war. This fight is more like the first proper test of Barrier, as Tsunami can hit the entire team pretty hard if it isn't up.

The thing with Reno is that I tried to use the Pyramid animation to trick players into attacking their disabled party member at the start of the fight before bringing in actual Pyramids but it just comes across as a glitch instead. I've an idea though to replace this with something a little different; there's one spare enemy slot in this particular scene for two types of Pyramid maybe. Reno uses an altogether more effective tactic in a later fight, albeit only once at the start of that particular fight.

Hypers are available before this point (the lady next to the elevators on Floor 69 might sell them but not sure). Thunder Gunner has overall weaker defensive stats than the other two robots to compensate; Grenades should be an effective means to take him out as well. I could add some to the chests on Floor 65 so that there's a better chance of some being available for this fight.

That's the thing I wanted with this fight, for the enemy skills being used against you to be useful when turned back on him. Matra shuts down the weakened OPTs, letting you quickly put the battle to bed. I think Laser kills off the OPTs outright as well but that's more for use against Heli-Gunner and Thunder-Gunner.

I can downtune Rufus' HP a little, that or I'll adjust Light Nation's healing/death counter.

The Mythril Mines Turks couldn't be too tough, because they're usually ran into after grabbing everything in the Mines and then going forward expecting a normal cutscene. The fight is a surprise, and I wanted them to be consistent with later encounters (sort of like establish a baseline for what they do and then build on it each time you encounter them later on).

That's why having multiple copies of a spell or just a back-up caster can come in handy; dedicated roles are handy because they can output more damage but if one person gets disabled in some way then it can cripple the team if they don't have

I've not actually tried the mod on Active ATB; I always found that it takes a lot of the fight out, like Barriers and other statuses (I played through Gjoerulv's Hardcore mod on Active and it made a lot of the fights slobberknockers because I couldn't practically lean on mitigation to survive hits). I could scrap the physical/magical immunities that the pods give and just have them be extra enemies that spawn.

Ah, so you reached Reno #2 then? :3

Lich GT is one of the newer bosses; I was worried about making it too tough but then remembered it was technically optional.

Thanks for the feedback, bud. I couldn't go back to Fallout 3; I tried a couple of times.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: 2016-07-28 14:39:07 »
Yeah, I'm trying to remove that crater condition from as many things as I can so that everything can be accessed a little earlier. That event especially because it does actually trigger but then can't be resolved until the Crater is successfully navigated (which makes no sense).

Is there a technical reason why Crater has to be cleared?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: 2016-07-29 06:12:09 »
It was just convenient to use the Game Moment value it sets.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: 2016-07-29 07:56:58 »
I figured as much.

You said on Insane Difficulty that you plan to have the NG+ be a "World of Ruin style scenario". If you're still planning on this, could we have some elaboration on what you're going to amuse us with?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: 2016-07-29 19:10:43 »
I figured as much.

You said on Insane Difficulty that you plan to have the NG+ be a "World of Ruin style scenario". If you're still planning on this, could we have some elaboration on what you're going to amuse us with?

The original idea was to have a kind of start from Sector 7 then work your way through a pared down scenario going to the Crater. The way it is though, it'd probably work better as a stand-alone mod with the option to use pre-existing NT save files with it.

Spotty Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: 2016-07-29 22:03:36 »
When fighting the enemy Pollensalta in Northern Crater, the game soft-locked after she used the skill L3 Def-loss. I got a continuous red-flashing screen and no more inputs could be made.
I just got the same problem when fighting Mimic in the Forgotten City.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: 2016-07-30 02:26:49 »
I'll have a patch up soon.

Royaken

• View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: 2016-07-30 08:49:57 »
Hey there! I am actually just now trying out FF7 on PC because I was tired of using the psx emu on my comp and I saw your new threat mod and loved 98% of it. I was wondering if you might add a feature to NOT save Aerith? to me the game doesn't feel right with her alive. I was also wondering how I would go about putting the turks back to their blue outfits. Very new to the modding thing xD

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: 2016-07-30 12:15:02 »
Hey there! I am actually just now trying out FF7 on PC because I was tired of using the psx emu on my comp and I saw your new threat mod and loved 98% of it. I was wondering if you might add a feature to NOT save Aerith? to me the game doesn't feel right with her alive. I was also wondering how I would go about putting the turks back to their blue outfits. Very new to the modding thing xD

It's been requested a fair few times and since I started re-doing the PC game's text I've been seeing the need for it more and more. It'll probably materialise along with Arrange mode as I'll be going through field event scripts.

For blue Turks, you need to decompile NT's Battle.lgp and a default battle.lgp, then transfer over the default battle model files for Reno, Rude, and Elena (overwriting the NT files) before recompiling the NT battle.lgp for use with the game. Luksy's ULGP tool can handle all this. As for the files you need:

BWAA~BWDA
LMAA~LMDA
LKAA~LKDA
LLAA~LLDA

That should cover all of them; there were some more in the default game but I shrunk the number used down by a bit.

It's been requested a fair few times and since I started re-doing the PC game's text I've been seeing the need for it more and more. It'll probably materialise along with Arrange mode as I'll be going through field event scripts.

For blue Turks, you need to decompile NT's Battle.lgp and a default battle.lgp, then transfer over the default battle model files for Reno, Rude, and Elena (overwriting the NT files) before recompiling the NT battle.lgp for use with the game. Luksy's ULGP tool can handle all this. As for the files you need:

BWAA~BWDA
LMAA~LMDA
LKAA~LKDA
LLAA~LLDA

That should cover all of them; there were some more in the default game but I shrunk the number used down by a bit.

Now, got something to ask everyone. The Materia placements are a bit all over the place at the moment, so I was looking at revising them. I was considering Added Cut and/or Slash-All for Disc 1 so that hybrid builds could make use of it a bit sooner, and setting placements for the remaining Stat Plus Materia. I also want to move Materia like Contain and Shield away from their current places.

\\Materia Placements//
-) Command Counter: Mt. Corel Train Tracks
-) Magic Counter: Cave of the Gi/Chocobo Racing
-) MP Turbo: Jenova Death drop (Whirlwind Maze)
-) Final Attack: Special Battle prize (Gold Saucer) [X]
-) Added Cut: Great Glacier -> Cargo Ship (replacing All Materia)
-) Quadra Magic: Blue Materia Cave [X]

Command Counter is easy to place because for a lot of the game it's mostly harmless (you can only really combine it with Sense or Steal initially, with Deathblow coming in as an infrequent counter-attack). Magic Counter as well doesn't proc often and like all the Counter Materia in NT is capped at 50% chance when mastered. Final Attack seems fine too, using it's original drop location and Quadra Magic is safeguarded by a boss. MP Turbo could maybe stand to be moved elsewhere, but I'm not sure. Added Cut is the big question mark here.

-) Neo-Bahamut: Whirlwind Maze
-) Typhoon: Ancient Forest
-) Hades: Gelnika

The Summons are all in their original locations, albeit with a couple of script adjustments to make them more unmissable like Ifrit and Ramuh. A couple stand out in my mind as just lying around at random though; the three I've mentioned above could stand to be dropped by a boss instead. So Jenova Death for Neo-B (means moving MP Turbo elsewhere), a Hochu at the exit of Ancient Forest (something needs to replace the original drop up in the canopy), and something like 'Unknown 4' for Gelnika's hangar.

-) Mega-All: Purple Materia Cave
-) HP Plus: North Crater
-) MP Plus: Mystery Encounter (World Map forests)
-) Speed Plus: No placement
-) Magic Plus: No placement
-) Luck Plus: No placement
-) Long Range: No placement
-) Underwater: White Chocobo (Mideel)
-) HP/MP Swap: Materia Keeper (Nibelheim)

There's three unplaced Plus Materia that can be used here; I was thinking of using at least one for Junon Leagues. Long Range is something I'm not 100% about including at all.

-) Slash-All: Ancient Forest -> Gongaga
-) Double-Cut: Silver Match, Gold Saucer
-) Deathblow: Gongaga -> Forgotten City (replacing old Enemy Skill placement there)
-) W-Magic: Crater, Left-Up Path -> Silver Match
-) W-Summon: Kalm Traveler, Earth Harp -> Gold Match
-) W-Item: Platinum Match, Gold Saucer
-) Mime: Yellow Materia Cave [X]

Deathblow is quite powerful, and I was wondering about moving it further back into the game and placing Slash-All down for it instead (but not sure); otherwise, could keep Deathblow where it is and place Slash-All in Forgotten City instead? I was thinking of placing W-Magic, W-Summon, and W-Item down as the prizes for each Extra Battle match so there's a little more consistency; then I'd put Planet/Ultima down in the Crater and Double-Cut with the Kalm Traveler.

-) Full Cure: Cosmo Canyon
-) Shield: Diamond Weapon
-) Contain: Hojo
-) Comet: Corel Train
-) Ultima (Planet): Gold Match, Gold Saucer -> Crater, Left-Up Path

Shield and Contain could stand to be moved but I could live with them staying where they are, Full Cure as well.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-30 12:42:21 by Sega Chief »

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: 2016-08-01 10:10:20 »
Added Cut being available earlier would be a good thing. An amount of late-game materia in FF7 simply pales in comparison to raw numbers, and some of it is gotten so late you don't get to sit down and think "This would be good", you end up thinking "This would've been good ten hours ago". It's a legitimately powerful materia, but can also save good amounts of time and streamline steal-grinding.

To play devil's advocate, it would make Aerith ridiculously powerful against undead enemies due to the healing staff's raw power. Combine it with cure and she will rip them to shreds. On the plus side, this means that you have a powerful setup to use against powerful undead like the Attack Squad that doesn't involve grinding for X-potions at Gold Saucer which I feel is within the spirit of the mod.

Given a choice between Slash All and Deathblow, I'd pick Slash All. Deathblow is better for the lategame where you have access to high-accuracy weapons so it's actually worth a damn.

Remember, the balance of the entire game is in your hands. You can balance enemies around available options, and not the other way around. On the subject of Added Cut, did you fix the anomalies where it doesn't play nice with Manipulate and Coin Toss, and the oddities with Master Command?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: 2016-08-01 11:57:04 »
Added Cut being available earlier would be a good thing. An amount of late-game materia in FF7 simply pales in comparison to raw numbers, and some of it is gotten so late you don't get to sit down and think "This would be good", you end up thinking "This would've been good ten hours ago". It's a legitimately powerful materia, but can also save good amounts of time and streamline steal-grinding.

To play devil's advocate, it would make Aerith ridiculously powerful against undead enemies due to the healing staff's raw power. Combine it with cure and she will rip them to shreds. On the plus side, this means that you have a powerful setup to use against powerful undead like the Attack Squad that doesn't involve grinding for X-potions at Gold Saucer which I feel is within the spirit of the mod.

Given a choice between Slash All and Deathblow, I'd pick Slash All. Deathblow is better for the lategame where you have access to high-accuracy weapons so it's actually worth a damn.

Remember, the balance of the entire game is in your hands. You can balance enemies around available options, and not the other way around. On the subject of Added Cut, did you fix the anomalies where it doesn't play nice with Manipulate and Coin Toss, and the oddities with Master Command?

I haven't made any mechanical adjustments to Added Cut; does something happen when used with Manipulate/Coin Toss? The latter should be okay in any case, as Coin Toss was set to hit everything on the field (including the party) and Master Command is temporarily AWOL along with the other two.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: 2016-08-01 12:29:08 »
If I recall, the Throw command cannot be used with Added Cut if the materia has unlocked Coin Toss, and pairing it with Manipulate results in you manipulating and immediately attacking afterwards which completely misses the point. The latter is only an issue with Master Command so if that's AWOL it's not an issue right now.

The other oddity with Master Command is if you use Item you'll attack whoever you used it on, which does more harm than good unless you have an elemental thing going.

Royaken

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: 2016-08-02 19:55:01 »
Hey thanx for the reply a few days ago! Sorry being late on that. I am now experiencing my 1st issue with the game crashing. I am on the cargo ship and was about to fight Jenova for the 1st time and the MOMENT it goes to load the battle I get a "an unknown exception has occurred" error message pop up and the game crashes. I downloaded the mod very recently so it was after the dates shown on your fixes. The music was also still playing when the message came up. Any ideas? I really wanna play this game but can't get past that part.

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: 2016-08-02 20:10:39 »
Hey thanx for the reply a few days ago! Sorry being late on that. I am now experiencing my 1st issue with the game crashing. I am on the cargo ship and was about to fight Jenova for the 1st time and the MOMENT it goes to load the battle I get a "an unknown exception has occurred" error message pop up and the game crashes. I downloaded the mod very recently so it was after the dates shown on your fixes. The music was also still playing when the message came up. Any ideas? I really wanna play this game but can't get past that part.

Any chance you're running the 7th Heaven version?  I was getting that same issue and tracked the problem down to a mod conflict.  Disabling everything except for New Threat allowed me to progress past the fight.

Royaken

• View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: 2016-08-03 01:56:49 »
No, not running 7th heaven. I got it to work though. Turns out it was my own fault. long explanation xD. Sorry to bug anyone about it. I am having one other issue though. I was excited to hear about the feature that has that random guy from condor show up whenever there's another battle so he can take you and also bring you back. But when I speak to him and tell him I'm ready, he just says to make sure I bring money and then nothing happens. If I walk to condor on my own and then leave after the battle, he offers to take me. When I say yes, nothing happens and then I cannot leave, I can only go back up into condor. Thoughts?

azraelwings

• View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: 2016-08-03 06:18:02 »
Hey Saga Chief / Everyone,

So recently, after spending the last year lurking on the New Type forum at Insane Difficulty, I finally bought the steam version with the sole purpose of playing this game. I had rather high expectations, having seen a lot of the development - if only from afar - and started the game that same night. I was hoping that I would find something that I could really dig my teeth into; something that would offer me a new and, hopefully, exciting replay of a classic.

I was not disappointed.

The game really does wonders for a battle system was a crap shot in the dark, that taught all of us that in dealing with your problems, you stabbed them. If movement persisted, stab them again. Status aliments were a terrible game of 'who's in my mouth', and generally were to be avoided - unless you knew exactly what you were doing. Finally, everyone's usefulness in the game was based on if any of their limits contained multiple attacking functions. In the end, you were left with a game that was entertaining to pick up, but monotonous, and rather unrewarding, to master.

This game, and the rank up system is fantastic. I'm a huge fan of turn based fighting systems, and New Type fills a place in my soul that's needed good company for a while now. It's wonderful seeing some of the certain aspects of the game that acted more as passing concepts in vanilla actually put in time and be worth something in this version - such as character role casting. And don't even get me started on the ability to skip story sequences, just thank fucking god. It's good shit, all of it...

But - and there always seems to be a but - there are a few issues that I've encountered. I'll openly admit, as a retired beta tester, I tend to have a rather critical eye when I look at games. There are a number of scenes where the syntax that is used isn't quite right. There are a few scenes were the dialog has become strange, which is caused due to a scene(s) that have be altered previous or after the aforementioned strange scene. I'm unsure if this is an issue that you're truly concerned with fixing, and I'd be rather surprised if a person was ever playing this game without playing the original, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

Another issue, I encountered in a house in Kalm were I became sprite locked; it was left of the inn, in the house with an old man in a rocking chair. I entered the house, talked to the man, and immediately after I let his dog out of the closet, I got locked in place. This is the first time that I've played any version other than the PSX version, so it may be due to the it being the steam version and not the mod.

The problem with the Condor warping agent appears to have been brought to your attention. Not really a big issue, seeing as this is something that is readily remedy by the player.

There are some other things but, again, I'm not exactly sure if you're looking for critical analysis of New Type. And, if so, what information is really relevant to you. If you're actually interested, I'd wouldn't mind running through the game to provide you with in-depth notes. I reached out on Insane's New Type forum but, as it seems you're more active here, I thought that I'd post here as well.

Either way, I wanted to say kudos on a wicked game. Hope to see more of this soon.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: 2016-08-03 12:15:52 »
No, not running 7th heaven. I got it to work though. Turns out it was my own fault. long explanation xD. Sorry to bug anyone about it. I am having one other issue though. I was excited to hear about the feature that has that random guy from condor show up whenever there's another battle so he can take you and also bring you back. But when I speak to him and tell him I'm ready, he just says to make sure I bring money and then nothing happens. If I walk to condor on my own and then leave after the battle, he offers to take me. When I say yes, nothing happens and then I cannot leave, I can only go back up into condor. Thoughts?

Might be you need the hotfix patches; they're available from the front page of the thread and are installed in the same way as the Main Installer. If these are applied though and the problem is still there, let me know.

Hey Saga Chief / Everyone,

So recently, after spending the last year lurking on the New Type forum at Insane Difficulty, I finally bought the steam version with the sole purpose of playing this game. I had rather high expectations, having seen a lot of the development - if only from afar - and started the game that same night. I was hoping that I would find something that I could really dig my teeth into; something that would offer me a new and, hopefully, exciting replay of a classic.

I was not disappointed.

The game really does wonders for a battle system was a crap shot in the dark, that taught all of us that in dealing with your problems, you stabbed them. If movement persisted, stab them again. Status aliments were a terrible game of 'who's in my mouth', and generally were to be avoided - unless you knew exactly what you were doing. Finally, everyone's usefulness in the game was based on if any of their limits contained multiple attacking functions. In the end, you were left with a game that was entertaining to pick up, but monotonous, and rather unrewarding, to master.

This game, and the rank up system is fantastic. I'm a huge fan of turn based fighting systems, and New Type fills a place in my soul that's needed good company for a while now. It's wonderful seeing some of the certain aspects of the game that acted more as passing concepts in vanilla actually put in time and be worth something in this version - such as character role casting. And don't even get me started on the ability to skip story sequences, just thank ferning god. It's good strawberries, all of it...

But - and there always seems to be a but - there are a few issues that I've encountered. I'll openly admit, as a retired beta tester, I tend to have a rather critical eye when I look at games. There are a number of scenes where the syntax that is used isn't quite right. There are a few scenes were the dialog has become strange, which is caused due to a scene(s) that have be altered previous or after the aforementioned strange scene. I'm unsure if this is an issue that you're truly concerned with fixing, and I'd be rather surprised if a person was ever playing this game without playing the original, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

Another issue, I encountered in a house in Kalm were I became sprite locked; it was left of the inn, in the house with an old man in a rocking chair. I entered the house, talked to the man, and immediately after I let his dog out of the closet, I got locked in place. This is the first time that I've played any version other than the PSX version, so it may be due to the it being the steam version and not the mod.

The problem with the Condor warping agent appears to have been brought to your attention. Not really a big issue, seeing as this is something that is readily remedy by the player.

There are some other things but, again, I'm not exactly sure if you're looking for critical analysis of New Type. And, if so, what information is really relevant to you. If you're actually interested, I'd wouldn't mind running through the game to provide you with in-depth notes. I reached out on Insane's New Type forum but, as it seems you're more active here, I thought that I'd post here as well.

Either way, I wanted to say kudos on a wicked game. Hope to see more of this soon.

The thing about the dialogue is that the PC version was made slightly different to the PSX game, and they created as many new issues as they solved. I've also had a few players who either never finished the original FF7, were just playing it for the first time, or hadn't played it in years/only played it once and they mentioned that it was tough without a guide sometimes to figure out what was going on in the story, or where they were supposed to go next.

So I decided to have a stab at rewriting bits of it. I'm up to about Rocket Town in the current build, and I think I did the Highwind fields + some other loose ones because they appear at the top of the field list. The idea was to tweak a couple of scenes and make it more clear where you're going and what's happening. I also try to mention some of the important story details earlier in mandatory scenes, rather than leaving them in optional scenes like the default game does; for instance, Black Materia gets mentioned for the first time on the cargo ship instead of an optional encounter with Dio in Speed Square.

When it's all done, I'm going to redraft it for the final release and then see where we are. I am very interested in feedback on specific lines though; it's a very contentious thing to change so it needs to be made as strong as possible. I've just been occupied with the gameplay side of things to get the time I need to complete it.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: 2016-08-04 13:50:02 »
SC, it's been awhile since I was at this point in the game, but when I just saw your post about feedback for the script changes, 1 bit suddenly came back to me for some reason:

Near the beginning of the game, right after falling off the bridge and getting Aeris, there's a bit in the slum before her house that really stood out to me as not good.  You can go into that giant pipe on the left side of town and talk to a guy with a tattoo, and Aeris' dialogue when you try and talk to him sounds REALLY bad.  I remember it really standing out, but I guess I forgot to mention it!

I know it was awhile ago that I was at that part, so apologies if you fixed it already!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: 2016-08-04 18:10:09 »
I don't think the dialogue inside the pipe was changed at all; this is the scene text from the flevel:

{AERIS}
“This is the one…
   Won't you help him?”

{CLOUD}
“Listen{, }I'm no doctor.”

{AERIS}
“No{, }I guess not…”

{AERIS}
“Hey…that man has a tattoo.
   I think it's the number 2.”

I checked it against the dialogue from a PS1 copy of the game and it's almost identical, just a punctuation change here or there. I generally try to leave it alone if it's close to the original PS1 dialogue and it serves a function of some kind (in this case, alluding to the numbered Sephiroth followers in black capes who pop up later in the game).

Unless you meant this line, said just prior to going into the pipe itself:

{AERIS}
“This guy am sick.”

:3
« Last Edit: 2016-08-04 18:11:46 by Sega Chief »

Royaken

• View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: 2016-08-05 00:37:18 »
1st of all, let me say thank you again for the help I've been receiving here. I keep forgetting to reply when a fix is given and works. Installing the fixes on the 1st page helped my condor teleport issue and I appreciate the help! I am now AFTER that running into a new issue. On the later Condor battles, more specifically the one that matters(Huge Materia) About half way through the battle I get the error message I got before "An unknown exception has occurred." This is a story point and I can go no further without this being addressed. Any ideas?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: 2016-08-05 01:04:18 »
1st of all, let me say thank you again for the help I've been receiving here. I keep forgetting to reply when a fix is given and works. Installing the fixes on the 1st page helped my condor teleport issue and I appreciate the help! I am now AFTER that running into a new issue. On the later Condor battles, more specifically the one that matters(Huge Materia) About half way through the battle I get the error message I got before "An unknown exception has occurred." This is a story point and I can go no further without this being addressed. Any ideas?

Is this during the minigame itself or fighting the CMD. Grand Horn in an actual battle?

Royaken

• View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: 2016-08-05 22:36:31 »
It's during the mini game. I finally got past it, but after several different tries. I didn't do anything different, just kept going until it didn't occur. Not sure what caused it, but I apologize for wasting anyone's time with this. Also, Sega Chief, I can't send personal messages, but I needed to ask you something not in this forum. Is there a way I can reach you? My profile says I can't send personal messages. I'm sure you don't wanna hand out your email address, so if I could give you mine let me know. It DOES pertain to this mod, but it's something I'd rather ask you 1 on 1 if you don't mind. I also have a Skype if that would help. Thanx in advance!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: 2016-08-06 13:33:34 »
I got your message bud and sent a reply. As for the Fort Condor thing, the mod's installer doesn't touch the actual minigame file itself so not sure why it was crashing. Must be something to do with the game itself, or the install:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846961716480456654/

Seems that other people have been running into this issue; doesn't seem to be NT-specific though.