Author Topic: Heh....I finally confirmed where my guitar sample was from..  (Read 2901 times)

Goku7

• View Profile
Yes, I can finally put that question to rest.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about: I'm refering to the overdriven Guitar Sample used in my Rev2 DLS update for FF8.  Previously, I thought it was simply a public domain sample, as I found it floating around on the internet, with no apparent documentation telling me who owned the copyright for it.  As such, I have always said that I don't own the sample, nor do I take credit for its creation (well, other than conversion to DLS format...but that is a minor thing).

Until now.  I can finally give credit for where it came from.  Of all things, it's actually a squaresoft sample!  Lucky me.

I was going thru the PSF archieve for Chrono Cross, and apparently, the same exact sample is being used in "Etude1.psf" and "Etude2.psf", as well as the "226A-Magical Dreamers.psf" and "226B-Magical Dreamers.psf" files in Chrono Cross (aka Magical Dreamers -- "The Wind, Stars, and waves").  You can tell by the feedback characteristics (just like in the Rev2 DLS, only certain keys produce a slow feedback as the note is sustained), and the overall tone of the sample.  Though, it appears the existing sample I have is missing some stuff in comparison to the Chrono Cross version....ironically, it sounds like it has correct samples for the higher octaves (that "wah" sound in Magical Dreamers B, to be specific).

Needless to say, this caught me by surprise....its still awesome though.

A quick way to compare to yourself (assuming you have the PSF archieve ready for comparison purposes):

Magical Dreamers test MIDI from Vgmusic.com

-edit-
erm...I accidentally clicked submit too soon.

Anyway, using Winamp 2.7x or higher (but not Winamp3), load the Rev2-patched DLS up and play the linked MIDI file, and compare the guitar to the one used in the PSF.  Practically identical harmonics-wise, eh?

2nd Edit

I needed to get a little more specific on the file names.

Rubicant_II

Heh....I finally confirmed where my guitar sample was from..
« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-18 20:55:03 »
So this sample was your personal white whale, eh? Kind of ironic how a sample from a squresoft game ends up being recycled into another squaresoft game...

To be honest, that guitar part from Chrono Cross was a little boring, mostly because the guy would never shut the hell up. But once the song gets in its final form it sounds cool. It still puzzles me how the guy can hurt enemies with guitar riffs. Is he really that bad of a guitarist?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-19 01:11:00 »
Quote from: Rubicant_II
So this sample was your personal white whale, eh? Kind of ironic how a sample from a squresoft game ends up being recycled into another squaresoft game...

"White Whale"?  I'm at a bit of a loss on that metaphor.....

I guess this really is ironic.  In a "it's a small world after all" kinda way. :roll: But, there may also be a legal boon from this: Since the intent of the sample's inclusion in the Rev2 DLS patch is to use it as an instrument in a Squaresoft game, it doesn't really differ from Squaresoft's original intention, which is to use it as an instrument in a squaresoft game.

Which makes me wonder....does this fact mean that I can invoke the "fair use" clause of copyright law? :wink:

It still puzzles me how the guy can hurt enemies with guitar riffs. Is he really that bad of a guitarist?

I dunno.....maybe he's using a disruption pedal on the guitar?

*rimshot*

Rubicant_II

« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-19 02:08:26 »
Quote from: Goku7
"White Whale"?  I'm at a bit of a loss on that metaphor.....

You know...Captain Ahab and the white whale[/b], Moby Dick.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-19 02:23:43 »
Quote from: Rubicant_II
You know...Captain Ahab and the white whale[/b], Moby Dick.

Oh.....of course.  I think I get it now.  I forgot that Moby Dick was a white whale....so...you're saying the sample's an obsession of mine, now.....LOL.

Guilty as charged.  It has been a little "pet obsession" of mine ever since I encountered the sample so long ago.

At any rate, I guess 'ol Ahab has to make a few changes to both the Rev2 Patch's description on the FFSF site and the readme file included with the Rev2 patch, now....... :wink: