Author Topic: having a problem with installing FF7 (Fixed, everything is great, now)  (Read 8910 times)

KarmaRocketX

Hello.

I'm having a strange problem with installing FF7 PC.

It starts up and brings me to the screen where it gives me the picture of Midgar and a choice to Install the yamaha, the video player and of course, the word INSTALL in bold letters.

Ok, so the problem is.. I click INSTALL and it does..... nothing.

It literally sits there. And installs nothing.

So, i'm like.. "How am I supposed to install this?". Exploring the contents of the disc and clicking "setup.exe" does nothing but the same. Takes me to the splash screen, I click INSTALL and.... nothing.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Am I supposed to do something? How come it won't go?  Is it because of Vista (my OS)? Am I supposed to use the other discs yet? What?

This seems like such a simple thing to get this to install, and I just can't fathom why it won't go.

I know this must sound really dumb. But.... Please help.

EDIT: Oh, by the way.... Just thought I should also mention, it doesn't even tell me to put in discs 1, 2, or 3 or anything. I mean, I actually click install, and then it goes back to my desktop, my laptop acts like it's "thinking" for about 3 seconds and then...... nothing.

EDIT2: Well, I have spent this whole time trying to click every single thing I could do to get this to install. trying copying the contents of the disc to a folder on my hard drive and running it from there..

I've tried setup.exe (Still does nothing when I click install), i've tried FF7Config.exe (It just tells me "unable to locate registry key"). I've tried ff7.exe (It just tells me to to insert a disc,even with this copied to my hard drive with disc 1 in, it just repeats this).

I've tried changing ff7.exe with the 1.02 patch, i've tried installing the Truemotion codec, i've tried the chobobo patch.... I've tried setting the compatability of Setup.exe to Windows XP and Windows 98....

I've totally run out of things to try, but I just can't seem to actually make it install when I click the word install. .......there has got to be SOMETHING I can do other than just give up. I was fortunate enough to find this at a used games store. I really don't want to have feel like I wasted my money. *sigh*
« Last Edit: 2009-02-16 23:58:16 by KarmaRocketX »

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Er.. having a bit of a problem with installing FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-16 15:46:10 »
Hi, I dont use vista so i cant test it for myself but if the autorun wont the installer try running the file called "FF7inst.exe" and that should run the FF7 installer. but if this doesnt work like you said before you could copy the files over but the registry would be the problem because the game checks your registry to find out which CD drive to use but since you didnt install it wont be in your registry so you will need to add it (i am not sure on how the rules stand about posting registry entries here so i cant post it sorry, i just dont want to get a ban for somthing like that).
hope this helps. let us know how you get on (sucessfull or not)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-16 18:34:46 »
Yeah, just try running the FF7Inst.exe, it will work eventually. I remember that it did that once to me (on WinXP) - the program was running (I could see it with Task Manager), but nothing actually was showing up. What I did was restart the OS, and run the installer as the first thing after the OS loaded.

KarmaRocketX

« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-16 18:58:59 »
Well, I guess I could try restarting my PC and then trying FF7Inst

I'll see if that does anything. I must have tried running both setup and FF7inst, like a million times but maybe a reset will make it want to cooperate.

KarmaRocketX

« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-16 19:13:19 »
Success! Yeah, that did it.

EDIT: Uh oh... Spoke too soon. Now I have a new problem that I can't seem to fix.

I start the game up, and the Eidos logo comes up... except that I can't see anything. It's all black. Then after the Eidos sound (but no picture) goes by, it remains black and does nothing.

I tried different configuration settings for the graphics but none of them seem to have any effect. I am running Vista and I have DirectX 10... however I cannot install the DirectX package in the FF7 game because "DirectX Setup Initilization Failed"

I also don't seem to have the Nvidia, Riva or even TNT graphics that FF7 wants, i think, and I cannot figure out how to set this so that I can see anything or play the game.

Tried the Truemotion codec, still nothing. I just can't see anything but black. And I only hear the Eidos sound but nothing else.

EDIT: Well.. I uninstalled ffdshow, and that did the trick. Everything is great now. Loaded up the patches, everything looks good, and plays nice.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-16 23:59:26 by KarmaRocketX »