Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 193553 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #200 on: 2009-10-02 20:43:15 »
yeah, the tropical forests aren't finsihed, and the northern continent hasn't even been touched yet.  I've still got alot of work to do, the alpha doesn't even really qualify as a releases in my mind.  It was just a work-in-progress release for people who wanted to see it in action.  Still lots to do, and many half-finished things to finalize.

lee

edit* one scary thing i've noticed, the alpha is already 16.6MB.  I sudder to think what the filesize will be for the final release.  Probably upwards of 50MB.  Not much in todays world of fast internet, but still...

Just wait until you see the size of the 2d graphical overhaul. Its already over 50mb and climbing

Hermoor II

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2009-10-03 09:34:38 »
Those mountain stripes should go vertical and not horizontally. Mountains usually go from bottom to top, not from left to right...Also a bigger distance between the cracks would make it looks better.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2009-10-03 19:21:16 »
Traditionally, yes they would be vertical.  But these aren't mountains, they're plateau's in a region that doesn't recieve much rain.  Instead of water erosion shaping the landscape, horizontal winds do the work.  All the other mountains will be vertical(as is normal).  Also, I'm taking quite a bit of artistic license with the project, I don't want the map to look the same as before otherwise what's the point?  The texture does need to be stretched out some, but I'll never finish if i tweak every texture to perfection the first time through.  Many textures are still rough-drafts of their final versions.

Lee

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2009-10-03 19:25:44 »
If those are rough drafts i'll die of happiness when you finish haha. Assuming i ever get time to play.. i want to, but the horrid backgrounds mess with my head

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2009-10-04 00:25:47 »

a shot of the mountains near Golden Saucer.  They will have a browner hue and more chunkiness in the future.  Acutally I made a really good mountain texture, but i forgot to save the PSD file and altered the flat PNG, so i couldn't tranfer the good texture to the other relevant files.  Ooops... oh well, i'll fix it soon.

just a good looking texture.  Can't wait till i finish up the jungles, it'll look almost 100% after that.

lee

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2009-10-04 00:28:14 »
the first image my jaw dropped. that is fantastic work

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2009-10-04 01:10:23 »

any one else like the mountains like this ^^. i like them that color

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2009-10-04 03:56:40 »
Wow just wow man you should of waited to release your alpha till you did those mountains  :-D but great job man fantastic work

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #208 on: 2009-10-04 04:13:35 »
I certainly can't wait for the actual patcher release! Hopefully that is some time soon.  :-)

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2009-10-04 06:23:11 »
I certainly can't wait for the actual patcher release! Hopefully that is some time soon.  :-)

I dont know about any time soon pryozen takes his time so he does the job right and dont have to do it again. His work is exellent and making textures from scratch is time consuming and he still has the ocean and rivers ahead of him probably the toughest part out of them.

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2009-10-04 06:29:45 »
HERMOOR there is no need to ruin a perfectly good there take your nansence elsewhere i know pyrozen will not appreciate this as well as everyone else that supports this mod.

DeadManInBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2009-10-04 12:01:06 »
Awesome work, now if we can perhaps beg Timu to make a new Highwind  :-D

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #212 on: 2009-10-04 13:49:27 »

hmmm... That's something I might try my hand at.

At any rate, Can't wait for a proper release of this, looks epic.
The only thing, i think, is it just looks a little....plain?
i dunno. perhaps a better way of explaining it is that it looks like a "perfect" world, i.e it's all too....clean? Just looking at those mountains, it looks like they're maintained by some guy every day, same with the deserts. not complaining, however, i'd still use it any day :D it's just a little criticism.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2009-10-04 16:56:40 »
I agree more highlights and shadows are needed, but because of the tiling system it makes it quite difficult, so short of making a custom map model (if that is even possible) Im not sure how good we can do on that.

DeadManInBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2009-10-04 22:26:49 »

hmmm... That's something I might try my hand at.

At any rate, Can't wait for a proper release of this, looks epic.
The only thing, i think, is it just looks a little....plain?
i dunno. perhaps a better way of explaining it is that it looks like a "perfect" world, i.e it's all too....clean? Just looking at those mountains, it looks like they're maintained by some guy every day, same with the deserts. not complaining, however, i'd still use it any day :D it's just a little criticism.

That would be great if you could  :-D

In response to comments about the mod I can see where your coming from but I suppose its one of things that is going to happen trying to make textures fit together in such complicated way on such a old game engine on todays pcs and screen resolutions,but overall I think this is a awesome mod and certainly one of best to be made and im sure will be one of the most appreciated.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2009-10-05 20:29:01 »
funny you should say that, the original Highwind looks like an odd flying triangle within the retextured world.  I've hunted a bit for the textures but havn't found them yet.  Even a basic reskin with darker, more metallic textures would do it some justice until someone gets around to making a remodeled version.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2009-10-05 20:42:45 »
funny you should say that, the original Highwind looks like an odd flying triangle within the retextured world.  I've hunted a bit for the textures but havn't found them yet.  Even a basic reskin with darker, more metallic textures would do it some justice until someone gets around to making a remodeled version.

lee

Ill look and see what i can find when i get home. If i remember correctly highwind doesnt have any textures.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2009-10-05 20:49:46 »
Ill look and see what i can find when i get home. If i remember correctly highwind doesnt have any textures.
You may be right, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to give any 3d model a texture.  If nothing else, the Highwind texture from the bonus disc could always be mapped to the original model.... I don't think that is against the rules?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2009-10-05 21:32:11 »

small WIP shot. I'm workin on the snow now, and this is an example of why many of the textures i create are very noisy.  I tried going for a smooth snow, and it looks awesome in GiMP.  Once in game though, it tiles all over the place and generally looks like crap.  That's why many of the request for more detail/highlights/depth have gone seemingly ignored.  I'm trying to get the best balance but sometimes the just isn't a compromise.  Also, take a look at the stock snow, it tiles horribly as well!  Acutally, many of the stock textures do this as well, look at the mountains on the eastern continent, they look like crap since the're made out of three different textures.  No other place on the map is like it, some it appears there was some forward/backward development when the world map was created, and they just learned as they went along.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2009-10-05 22:55:00 »
the snow has a bad repeating problem, but looks like it tiles quite decently (in terms of how the tiles are laid out). One idea, that i had when you sent me the grass files, was that the textures seem to be (the original ones) a solid color with specks all over it, perhaps you could go with a not solid but low noise texture like you have with the sand, then draw full on details over the specks, that dont rly matter which way they face (preferably not on the edge of a texture). gimme yer thoughts on this.

As to the highwind issue, texturing one of the games models that dont have textures is something i want to look into, but you'd still have to export the model and unwrap it, because not having a texture, there are no uvs. for something blocky like the highwind... make a new one :P I will be experimenting wtih this concept for summons, as it would save a ton of time modeling, (and the models arnt that bad to start with)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2009-10-05 23:24:19 »

i simply created a noise layer and applied a light median to it to take away the sharp edges.  Layered it at about 50% over the image above and i got this.  Looks much better, but it still needs some tweaking.  good idea :D

lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2009-10-05 23:26:06 »
I think my idea applies more for the grass, which needs lil bits of stuff in it, the snow looks good! - questions, whats with the line in the sky? :P Also are you redoing meteor or did you already and my eyes suck?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2009-10-06 00:44:59 »
I think my idea applies more for the grass, which needs lil bits of stuff in it, the snow looks good! - questions, whats with the line in the sky? :P Also are you redoing meteor or did you already and my eyes suck?
I've started eyeballing the grass, it's inline for a retouch but i'd like to get more original textures before i start back tracking.  The line in the sky was me replacing the clouds, but it can't be done correctly unless Aali enables alpha channels for the PNGs.  The default clouds are at kinda 60% opacity through the engine, and i was experimenting with some generic clouds.  I meant to put the original back but i got sidetracked for about a month ;) and i havn't even touched meteor yet, that's not even on the radar right now.

lee

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2009-10-06 04:35:48 »
Pyrozen can you list progress? I mean what textures are done... in progress.. or yet to mess up.
It's an amazing job so far. I'm impressed with the quality of your textures and really looking forward to use'em.. gratz. Keep your awesome work.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2009-10-06 19:33:17 »
here's a rough estimate, there are still quite a few odd texture that are only used in on place on the world map that i have to hunt down.

grass 95%
sand 98%
dirt 95%
transitions between ground types 60%
mountains (nonsnow) 25%
mountains (w/snow) 0%
snow 10%
oceans 0%
beaches 80%
forests 50%

that's a "very" rough estimate.  I still have alot of work to do, and i will be going back over many of the textures i've already finished.  As i have worked on the project i have learned and refined alot of new techniques, so the first textures i created(grass) look very noobish to me now.

lee