Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 192989 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #250 on: 2009-10-14 01:15:03 »
i have no idea how to flip it around.  It's definitly not in the texture, and i don't think anyone around here has the tools or the know how to flip in around on the worldmap.  Someday i suppose.....

lee

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2009-10-14 01:15:37 »
Aali! get in here! we need you! haha :-D

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2009-10-14 03:32:22 »
My suggestion:

Copy the shapes of the brown edges on the original texture... Rescale it to the new size, and draw, on a new layer, the same shapes, but don't follow the exact pixel corners. Follow the implied edges freehand. (if something looks like it should be round, make it round.) But don't use any blur.

Did that make sense? I really think the only way to get a flowing texture is to copy the shapes they originally used. As for corners... well... they didn't bother to make them flow, so you'll likely have to deal with whatever happens there...(by that I mean, "Put up with") OR add geometry to the corners, that you have textured yourself. (But as I don't think map geometry is currently moddable....)

If you could SOMEHOW manage to get the game to read some other file format for 3D map mesh... you could use a new model entirely... but that sounds even more difficult and pointless...(I think Aali is probably the only one who could even attempt it and I don't think he knows much to do with 3D... could be wrong... but I don't think it's his specialty.)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2009-10-14 03:51:13 »
If anyone we should probably ask borde, but alas, if we /could/ add geometry, we'd probably just remake the entire map from scratch :P it'd be much faster hehe. except we'd not only need to change the model, but assign boundaries n such

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2009-10-14 19:38:58 »

we'd probably just remake the entire map from scratch :P it'd be much faster hehe.
dont you even say that! at least let me finish before it become obsolete!

My suggestion:

Copy the shapes of the brown edges on the original texture... Rescale it to the new size, and draw, on a new layer, the same shapes, but don't follow the exact pixel corners. Follow the implied edges freehand. (if something looks like it should be round, make it round.) But don't use any blur.

This is how i made almost 90% of the texture i've redone.  The beaches were a pain, but they only tiled left-right, and never tile top-bottom.  This snow is a major pain. what i've got is passable, but i'm a bit of a perfectionist(at least when it comes to edges lining up) and i may just have to roll with something i'm not entirely happy with.

lee

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2009-10-14 22:19:16 »

we'd probably just remake the entire map from scratch :P it'd be much faster hehe.
dont you even say that! at least let me finish before it become obsolete!

A. I wasn't suggesting adding new functionality to the map, just using an image plane to cover up bad corners...

and B. this isn't currently even feasible, so don't worry.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2009-10-16 21:01:31 »
Well i've finally got something im happy with.  i ditched the original snow pattern because it was clearly gonna be impossible to get anythin i was happy with.
Here's the new snow, i'm very happy with it.  I've gotta blend it with the snow underneath, but you get the idea.

lee

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #257 on: 2009-10-16 21:10:11 »
Wow. I got to say, yet another awesome improvement! Good job lee! :-D

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2009-10-16 21:16:51 »

got excited and posted the above image too fast.  Here's the snow with a blend. It only took me 5 mins to blend with the snow underneath :D  The ground texture won't line up perfectly with the mountain, but it's still a vast improvement on the original(the right side of the image).  Now i just gotta tweak the contrast to get the dark sides of the mountians and the northern continent will be nearly finished(i already did the forgotten forest).

lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2009-10-16 21:27:17 »
Ah, that looks *much* better :-D

I'm very pleased to see how this is coming along. Usually, people make big plans for big mods but never follow through with them; it would seem that this is not the case for Team Avalanche :-)

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2009-10-16 22:33:11 »
Ah, that looks *much* better :-D

I'm very pleased to see how this is coming along. Usually, people make big plans for big mods but never follow through with them; it would seem that this is not the case for Team Avalanche :-)

That's because we gathered support rather than being one guy trying to do all the work...

And it is indeed looking good.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #261 on: 2009-10-16 22:48:46 »
WOW! I retract my statement from the previous post. This is looking even more SWEETER! Thumbs up on this!  :-D

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2009-10-16 23:07:41 »
Wow thats incredible maybe you can texture my highwind when im done  :-D

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2009-10-16 23:11:08 »
looking very good dude, thanks for your effort :)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2009-10-17 02:25:51 »
Wow, that looks great! Whats left now? Jungle and water?

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2009-10-17 14:55:05 »
I really liked the earlier efforts but this latest one actually looks like a mountain and not like some cow has been splattered on the side of the mountain.

This is a very exciting project to say the least.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2009-10-18 16:16:35 »
Wow, that looks great! Whats left now? Jungle and water?

bascially yeah, that's it.  There are a TON of small textures that only appear in one or two places, so nailing those down will be somewhat time consuming.  Also, the underwater area's will be completed at somepoint, though only for completion sake.  So little of the game is spent there im not worried about it, and it's pitch black to boot.

I will be gone Oct 25th to Oct 31st since im going to cancun :D  I might squeeze in one more update between now and then, but i'm also buried in school work trying to get ahead before i leave.

lee

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2009-10-18 23:36:36 »
here's a quicky release of some more content.  it contains everything in the 0.1a, plus cosmos canyon and the northern continent.  Some files may be missing, if they are i apologize. Alot of things oin the northern continent need to be straightened out, but this is basically how it's gonna look in the end. This contains basically everything i have completed up to this point.

This is just a teaser, so don't bother telling me "X" isn't finished ;)
WMRP v0.2a

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2009-10-18 23:49:53 »
here's a quicky release of some more content.  it contains everything in the 0.1a, plus cosmos canyon and the northern continent.  Some files may be missing, if they are i apologize. Alot of things oin the northern continent need to be straightened out, but this is basically how it's gonna look in the end. This contains basically everything i have completed up to this point.

This is just a teaser, so don't bother telling me "X" isn't finished ;)
WMRP v0.2a

lee

I can't believe you havnt finished "X"!!

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2009-10-23 17:42:48 »

I promise i will finish X when i return, have fun in the cold chumps.  I've a drink with an umbrella in it waiting for me next to the beach :D

On a serious note, nothern continent is finished except for the cliffs around the ancient city, nothern crater "crater" and a few odd sea walls that didn't change with all the others.  Pics in a minute....

*edit*
mountains are complete, so are 90% of the sea walls.  Looks pretty sweet, but i gotta find a few errent textures that aren't grouped correctly with the others.

Lee
« Last Edit: 2009-10-23 17:46:41 by pyrozen »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2009-10-23 18:00:28 »

I promise i will finish X when i return, have fun in the cold chumps.  I've a drink with an umbrella in it waiting for me next to the beach :D

On a serious note, nothern continent is finished except for the cliffs around the ancient city, nothern crater "crater" and a few odd sea walls that didn't change with all the others.  Pics in a minute....

*edit*
mountains are complete, so are 90% of the sea walls.  Looks pretty sweet, but i gotta find a few errent textures that aren't grouped correctly with the others.

Lee

You arent seriously down on vacation and posting on here are you?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2009-10-23 18:22:29 »
hell no!
I leave tomarrow around 3pm, so consider this my last communication until i return! Don't burn down the forums while I'm away ;)

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2009-10-23 18:53:09 »
hell no!
I leave tomarrow around 3pm, so consider this my last communication until i return! Don't burn down the forums while I'm away ;)

lee

I'll try to keep surprises to a minimum

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2009-10-23 21:06:54 »
Lookin great. i can't wait till this is complete. it will look beautiful  :-D

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube