Author Topic: Aaron's mirror and FFSF  (Read 21878 times)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« on: 2002-10-12 17:30:13 »
Mmm, I'm such a genius. Feel the love
http://web.archive.org/web/20011116133842/lightning.prohosting.com/~techd/ffsf/download.shtml

There you go, the download page in all it's glory :D Don't abuse it folks.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #1 on: 2002-10-12 18:38:38 »
That's cool.

However.....

Is there a way we can update the page?  I mean, it's not gonna be up-to-date unless we can change it to accommadate the Revision2 DLS and new Improved Tracks patch release.

Ok, ok, so it won't be accurate in my section, but yes, it does make getting everything else (Samuel's DLS, etc.) a little more convientent.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #2 on: 2002-10-12 19:07:57 »
It's possible. If you update, then the page gets deleted, the wayback machine would have to have detected the new page on it's crawl.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #3 on: 2002-10-17 22:02:09 »
Say, I just realized we have a really unique opportunity here.  We could still salvage the download page using the link that KojiroTakenashi gave us, transfer it to the current server we use for the page (are we still using your in-house server for hosting, Fice?), and update it as need be.

Or, since Aaron does seem to have mirrored some of the downloads, perhaps he would be in a better position to do it?

Of course, I'm just talking about possibilities.  What I'm suggesting might also prove to be too much, web-space wise (and/or in Fice's servers case, bandwidth wise), considering that we may also need to upload the mp3 demos for each font to the server as well.

But, it is an idea, and at least we could fully ressurect the page.  I've always thought the way that page looked, made us look really professional and that we know what we're doing. :P

So, what'cha all think? :D

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-17 22:20:49 »
Seeing as that I am in charge of the computers at my school for the most part, and have full access to our web server (on a T1 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive), I can host whatever the heck you want.  You just have to get it to me - I run an FTP server on my home computer and that might be an easy way to get me files - - and then, there's always e-mail.  Or if they're already online, I can just download them and upload them to the new location?

I'm very happy to host whatever.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-17 22:27:37 »
Well, KojiroTakenashi already posted the link to where the download page seems to reside now, but for the heck of it, I'll put it here:

The download page in all its glory!

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-17 22:28:52 »
Sounds good to me ;)  My server really doesn't have that much bandwidth spare considering the amount of downloading I do on it, plus it isn't (as I've been saying) a long term solution.

Looking at my server, it only appears to have the FF7 patches on it (the XG soundfont thingies...) so the main fonts aren't there.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #7 on: 2002-10-17 22:41:46 »
Oh, one more important thing.

The link I last gave, the copy of the "news" page is WAY out of date.

The latest thing it announces is the release of Samuel's DLS version 1.30.

Amazingly enough, you can still access a more up-to-date news page at the original url:

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~techd/ffsf/

That's odd, it took REALLY long to pull it up.  Earliear this afternoon I just checked on the URL for the heck of it and it came up faster.

Also, to Aaron:

If I'm not mistaken, the mp3's of my new choir verison of Griever's theme and the The Extreme using the Revision2 DLS are on a "protected" part of your webspace (as in they need a password or something to see the directory they reside in, but not to access the file directly).  If the page is going to be put on your site, then are you going link to those files from the download page, or are you going to zip them and put them with the rest of the mp3 files that the site contains?

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #8 on: 2002-10-18 00:11:09 »
Actually, its not protected at all.  What you see when you try to access the directory is just an index.html I made and threw there to keep people from poking around in my stuff :P

Really, they're in the !!stuff folder, which is where I upload all kinds of little files that I host for people.  And, when I post pictures, I upload em there.  My avatar is uploaded there, I think.  Maybe its in a different folder but definately on my web space.  Oh well.

I know my page hasn't been updated in forever, but seriously I have like no time to do the kind of stuff I want to do with it.  So sad  :(

Anyway, if I am gonna host a download page for you, I'll probably make a new folder for it and link to it off my download page to another one, so that everything I host here will have its own page.  If you see what I'm saying.  It'll be a lot better than requiring a link to something in my !!stuff folder.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #9 on: 2002-10-18 00:14:19 »
Right, that's kinda what I meant.

I was figuring that you were going for a complete mirror of the original site, but obviously everything would be in a different folder than what your site is in.

If that was the case, I was suggesting that you move my two mp3s to the folders containing the new FFSF site, as opposed to staying in your /!!stuff/ folder.

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #10 on: 2002-10-18 00:19:10 »
I could just mirror the site, sure.

And yeah, I'll move the MP3s.  And if I zip them, the right-click-save-as problem will be gone (but you'll have to unzip them... oh well).

Do you want me to set up a mirror?  If I should go ahead, what is the exact URL I should mirror?  Just start from http://lightning.prohosting.com/~techd/ffsf/ and piece together what I can?

And erm, do you have AIM or anything?  Would be kinda easier to talk over that, but I don't see anything in your profile.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #11 on: 2002-10-18 00:24:02 »
Unfortunately, I don't have AIM.

The way I see it, the http://lightning.prohosting.com/~techd/ffsf/ (the original server location one) news page should be mirrored, and then everything else from the archieve that KojiroTakenashi found should be mirrored, since the original server's download page is blank.

Obviously, all the URL's are gonna have to be rewritten.  Also, it might be a good idea to talk to Fice or whoever programs the FFSF.cjb.net redirector to point to the new mirror.

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #12 on: 2002-10-18 00:32:14 »
Cool, I'll get started and tell you when its ready :P

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #13 on: 2002-10-18 00:35:17 »
Great.

Why do I feel the sudden urge to unleash a very evil laugh?!  :P

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #14 on: 2002-10-18 03:32:20 »
Done! :P

http://www.vanguard.org/students/wpd2/KelleyAaron/hosting/ffsf/index.html

I went through the whole thing, changed the links and code a little here and there.  Should work, let me know if you see anything wrong.  Besides the broken downloads.

I'll post a link to it on my main page soon.

On my mirror, none of the downloads will function... cause I've gotta get off now and I don't have time to upload them (60 megs of 'em, dangit!).  I'll upload them first thing tomorrow morning!  (My upload speed is really slow.)

I did go through them all and grey out the bad links, as you can see.  All files will be hosted on my server tomorrow, so hopefully people shouldn't have problems downloading stuff.  If you have a file that I don't have, please contact me about uploading it to my computer via FTP, or e-mail it to [email protected] - - thanks, heh.  Dunno if we'll ever be able to completely reconstruct it.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #15 on: 2002-10-18 03:46:59 »
Great.  Now, to reprogram the redirector, and finish the linkage, then start telling people that the site is back.....

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*notices everyone is staring at him*

:oops:

..............what?! :roll:

Anyway, I still haven't recieved a response from Samuel about the Rev2 DLS and Improved Tracks patch; but I have fixed a couple of things that were wrong in the .ini files in the first place (musicset description was too long!  Ack!!), so in theory it should be completely bug-fixed, but I don't know if sending it to you (Aaron) before seeing if Samuel has looked it over is a good idea or not.  Then again, the version Samuel has is the one with the too-long musicset description, so what he has, isn't quite download-page worthy after all....

Enough!  I'm blabbering in circles!  Basically, I'm wondering how easily we'll be able to update the news and download pages once the new Improved Tracks patch and Rev2 are uploaded and available for download, since the layout on both looks pretty complicated....

Also, I'm considering re-doing the two mp3 files, since the volume on them seems very, VERY low, due to the way DMP exported them to wav, so I can make 'em louder.

Hmmm....I'm outta time tonight to do stuff.  Perhaps we should start a new thread announcing the return of the original page, once all the links are in place and the redirector is set?

-edit-
Sigh......spelling errors.  Can't live with 'em; but can't live without 'em for that matter either. :roll:

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #16 on: 2002-10-18 04:00:53 »
Updating the news and downloads page shouldn't be too hard.  The code is messy, I think I'll re-do it tomorrow to make it easier on me.  Took a long time to dig through it and find all the missing pictures and links :P

Not like I'm complaining... I've always liked to do stuff in HTML.

Also, that news page is kinda long.  I might cut most of it out and create a "news archive" page, and link to it at the bottom of the news, to clean stuff up a bit.

Anyway, I'll start uploading the downloads when I leave for school tomorrow (7:30 AM)... and they're 60 meg in all... so it'll probably take four hours to finish :o

So after, say, 2:00 PM (central time) all of the links should definately be working.  That gives it plenty of time.

Anyway, that's it for today, see ya.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #17 on: 2002-10-18 05:36:18 »
Hi everyone, I'm still here! :)

Looks like FFSF will resurrect, great! And I planned to complete a final version of the DLS (v1.40). It's not ready yet, but at least planned (and in process).

Now, I'm wondering if we could update the way we were used to? I mean, when I have something to update, I can upload the file directly to the site (Aaron's ftp) including the main and download page (taking care of downloading them each time to make sure I have the latest (I won't be the only one to take care of the html I guess). So Aaron, can you tell us about what you think would be the best method to update FFSF? Do you agree about directly editing the site?  ... And we have to forget prohosting (cannot upload anymore).

And Joel, sorry for my late reply to your email, I just don't check very often that address these days, but now that FFSF is resurrecting, that will change. You can resend your last version to me and once everything is set about the update process of FFSF, I'll verify if everything is okay and upload it.

BTW, I just redirected FFSF  :P

EDIT:
Aaron: I would upload any updates directly to your computer not directly to the site I guess ... then it would be good to keep a copy of the updated htmls (main and download) in your computer's upload directory so if any FFSF members have something to update, those pages would be the ones to edit. Or maybe you have a better idea, do you?
And btw, thanks for hosting FFSF, and welcome as a new FFSF member  :wink:

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #18 on: 2002-10-18 12:18:51 »
Overjoyed to help :P

As this page is hosted on my school's site, and as my account (that I use to upload) is able to edit the whole thing, I am not able to give it out and let you edit the site directly.

However, I can let you upload stuff to my computer (I keep a whole copy of my site on there) and I will then upload it to the site as soon as I can.  I don't mind being the only one to handle the HTML, but if you want to edit it when you have something to update, go ahead.

Once I get the site up (all the links and everything), I'll e-mail you with the address / name / password to use my FTP.

Downloads are uploading now, should be done... sometime.

[Edit] Guess I'll PM you because your e-mail address is not displayed :P

J*** H*******

Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #19 on: 2002-10-18 19:30:36 »
KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #20 on: 2002-10-18 20:48:02 »
X3 Not to sound greedy, but can I get a "special thanks"? I mean, I found the Phoenix Down! :D
Mwahaha. Now I can stalk you guys again...*stalk*

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #21 on: 2002-10-18 21:24:43 »
Heh, I'll add myself to the list and give thanks to KojiroTakenashi as I go through and clean up the code.

Btw, Jari, I couldn't find a link to version 1.1 of your Timber soundfont on the page KojiroTakenashi found.  If you could provide me with link, or e-mail me the file (or contact me for FTP info), I can repost it.

I also need a link to Fice's updated FF8 Configurator.  I'm sure I can find that in here somewhere, or on Fice's site...

Trying to get as many downloads back as we can :P

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #22 on: 2002-10-18 21:26:28 »
Oh, yes, yes, of course.

Actually, we're probably indebted to you for finding that archieve of the page in the first place!  Without you pointing it out, NONE of what's been done would have been possible.

So, yes, you were indeed instrumental in the ressurection of FFSF!

Aaron: Again, thanks for mirroring the site, and congratulations on becoming the newest member.

Samuel: I've sent you the version with the fixed .ini files.  Should be on your hotmail account as I speak.  Now, what to do about sending the Revision 2 DLS update?  I think your hotmail account will pull a return-to-sender routine due to the file size (I think it can't handle anything around a meg...)

Now, there is one more thing, regarding the Rev2 update:

As we all know, the Improved Tracks patch is also 100% compatible with the Orchestral DLS, since most of that DLS is in fact the Original DLS.  However, I'm pretty sure that people may want to take advantage of both the new samples in the Rev2 DLS while continuing to use Orchestral DLS, so I'm wondering if I should look into making a patch that'll replace those two samples in the Orchestral DLS as well?

Of course, I'd need permission from the creator of that DLS in order to do that, but what do you think?

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #23 on: 2002-10-18 21:30:24 »
Sounds good...

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #24 on: 2002-10-18 21:55:15 »
Ok, so Samuel can update the page on my computer via FTP (I PM'ed him the login / location info), and I'm beginning right now to go through and clean it up to make it easier to edit.  The downloads page is the worst (lots of blank lines, spaces, and so on...), and I think it might have something to do with that web archive thing.  It added a whole bunch of its own code at the bottom too, so I think it might have messed with the rest.

-Note- The advertisements on the top of each page are gone :P yay.

[Edit] Is Dagsverre still around?  His site is down and there's a couple links to e-mail him (i.e. to join FFSF).  Should I change these?