Author Topic: Ok, another DLS-related question. I'll stop topic-ing now...  (Read 4985 times)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
How would I be able to use the Orchestral DLS and Sam's at the same time?

Goku7

• View Profile
Ok, another DLS-related question. I'll stop topic-ing now...
« Reply #1 on: 2002-12-27 05:02:42 »
At this point, you can't.  The functionality for that kinda thing simply hasn't been programmed into the FF8 Config program yet.

The nearest thing you can do is use the FF8 Orchestral DLS with the Orchestral DLS musicset selected as the primary one, with my Improved Tracks patch (any version, actually), set up as the next one...that way, you won't be stuck with the original, craptastic musicset that came with the game.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-12-27 16:38:31 »
Heh, old topic.
Could I try and merge the monsters together using AWAVE, or would that be way more difficult than it sounds?

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-12-28 04:35:57 »
Sure you can, but first you'll need to edit the orchestral dls and the included sgt's with DirectMusic Producer.
I can explain:

- First, insert the orchestral dls + every sgt's except "024s-march1.sgt"  since this one isn't orchestral (makes 5 sgts). (right-click "Project1", insert)
- Create a new DLS Collection. (right-click "Project1", new..., choose "DLS Collection")
- Copy and paste into that new DLS, from the orchestral DLS, the following instruments: "Don't Be Afraid: 0,1,0", "Man With the Machine Gun: 0,1,2", "Helicopter: 0,0,125". (Helicopter contains "Balamb Garden" and "Blue Fields" orchestral tracks)
- From the new DLS, change the bank and preset assignment to something else since they're conflicting with instruments from my DLS. Let say 100,100,0 for "Don't Be Afraid", 100,100,1 for "Man With the Machine Gun" and 100,100,2 for "Helicopter" to make sure they will never interfere. Double-click on each and change those three numbers situated just below the piano roll that appears on the right (named MSB, LSB, Patch).
- Since the instrument's position has changed, you'll need to reassign the instruments from the SGTs. Double-click on the sgt to reveal the title. Double-click on that title. To the right on the last row, double-click "Band1" ("Band2 for "012s-kani.sgt"). Double-click on each instrument, choosing the right one.
- You can also take the opportunity to fix the volume instability if you know DM Producer well enough.
- Save every SGTs and the new clean and compatible DLS somewhere on your hard drive (right-click, save as).
- Delete everything from DirectMusic Producer, since those are only copies of what you inserted at first and close it. But make sure you saved them somewhere else ("save as") not over ("save"). They will enter the recycle bin.
- Browse to the directory you saved the files and rename the ".sgp" files to ".sgt" and ".dlp" to ".dls".
- AT THAT POINT YOU CAN MAKE A BACKUP OF THOSE FILES READY TO BE MERGED WITH MY DLS (except "024s-march1.sgt" which isn't needed).
- To merge both DLS's, open my DLS with Awave. In the "File" menu, click "Merge files...", browse to the new compatible orchestral DLS and save the new merged DLS as "FF8.DLS" directly to the "dmusic" folder. Don't forget to save it as a DLS Level 1.
- Also copy the modified SGTs (or only those you want orchestrated) into the "dmusic" folder.

Then everything should work perfectly as I just tried it. :)
I hope I explained it well... let me know if something's wrong or doesn't work.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2002-12-28 21:29:54 »
Lol, you explained it fine...only I don't have Directmusic Producer ^.^;;;

XD Any chance it could just be plopped into the FFSF page for people with disregard for hard drive space?

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-12-29 04:39:50 »
If Aaron have enough space for an aditionnal 20Mb or something, . . . probably yes. And that would make an alternate download for people who want to merge it with the DLS (or any other sf). But I think it would be a good idea to give a break to Aaron for now, at least until next year.  :wink:

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-12-29 04:43:29 »
Lol. Alright :p
Thanks for the instructions though :D

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-12-29 14:51:44 »
Why not do a direct patch, like for what I did with the Revision2 update?  That could save some space, I think.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-12-30 04:46:27 »
Of course! (and I didn't think of that at first :) )
and it would probably weight only some Kb's because no new samples are added.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2002-12-31 03:17:14 »
Quote from: Samuel_Slight
Of course! (and I didn't think of that at first :) )
and it would probably weight only some Kb's because no new samples are added.

Well, not exactly.  Remember, its adding the entire recording of each song as one "instrument", so even though you'd only be adding 5 new "instruments" to the DLS, that's still roughly 7mb worth of samples to be patched. :roll:

HOWEVER, simply doing a patch-type update would still let you not have to upload the other 45mb worth of samples that make up your DLS to the site, so in the end it's still a good idea.

Of course, this IS assuming I've understood the whole conversation thus far.... :P

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-01-02 04:15:24 »
I was talking of patching the orchestral DLS to make it ready to be inserted into my DLS. It means, that last step remains to be done, where you need to download "Awave Studio", open my DLS, merge with the orch. DLS, save as DLS Level 1. That's in fact pretty easy anyway. Just a link to the "Awave" site with a "see instructions within the zip" note would be needed on FFSF's orchestral DLS section.

and btw, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!