Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837477 times)

unsecured1

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #7450 on: 2019-01-01 14:09:29 »
Was just wondering about Heaven's cloud new location, says it's drop from Iron Man. Afaik these guys can only be fought after the point of non return. So I'am a bit puzzled as how to get Ultimate weapon ?

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: 2019-01-01 18:16:23 »
Was just wondering about Heaven's cloud new location, says it's drop from Iron Man. Afaik these guys can only be fought after the point of non return. So I'am a bit puzzled as how to get Ultimate weapon ?
Iron Giant is now a random encounter (met one after going to the left, then the lower path).

But I also have a question on an ultimate weapon: Where on earth is the Moon Crystal? You don't get this one in Red XIII's sidequest.
Appearentely you should get one from an enemy in the north crater called "Abyss" - but I already have been everywhere there, and haven't found such an enemy.

So where to get the Moon Crystal?

unsecured1

• View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: 2019-01-01 18:25:12 »
Iron Giant is now a random encounter (met one after going to the left, then the lower path).

But I also have a question on an ultimate weapon: Where on earth is the Moon Crystal? You don't get this one in Red XIII's sidequest.
Appearentely you should get one from an enemy in the north crater called "Abyss" - but I already have been everywhere there, and haven't found such an enemy.

Great thanks !

Btw is it possible to save edit ? I've been silly enough to miss the leviathan's scales.... ^^"

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: 2019-01-01 19:19:51 »

As of the latest versions, each of the three Crater paths has a miniboss on it. If you're playing an older version, then I think the old man in Kalm has it but an Earth Harp needs to be traded in first which triggers a battle that drops it.

If it's latest version and the minibosses are nowhere to be seen, check the last field of the Right path (the giant skeleton field); there should be a figure in a black cloak on there.

Great thanks !

Btw is it possible to save edit ? I've been silly enough to miss the leviathan's scales.... ^^"

You can save-edit without issues, changing EXP/level may cause a harmless visual glitch with the exp gauge until the character levels up in-game though.

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: 2019-01-01 19:32:19 »
As of the latest versions, each of the three Crater paths has a miniboss on it. If you're playing an older version, then I think the old man in Kalm has it but an Earth Harp needs to be traded in first which triggers a battle that drops it.

If it's latest version and the minibosses are nowhere to be seen, check the last field of the Right path (the giant skeleton field); there should be a figure in a black cloak on there.
I kinda had the suspicion that it's one of those extra bosses...
The thing is, I encountered the bosses on the other both pathes (One was a Behemoth, the other one a Ying-Yang).
But the last one on the right path is missing, it just doesn't exist in my file.

EDIT: I found the reason why this guy missing.
When you open the chest containing "A good ol' lot of nothing", this guy disappears. So the problem was that I opened this joke chest, which turned out to cause a bug.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-01 19:54:52 by soku »

unsecured1

• View Profile
« Reply #7455 on: 2019-01-02 10:01:05 »
All good, save edited!

Still having a few questions :
I have unlocked the second rank 3 limit for Cid but I am still not able to learn Highwind for some reason? I noticed that he only has 1 rank 1 limit break...

Who are the ??? referring to when you check available sp ? Is there a special hidden character I missed ? ;p

What's arrange mode? Hard mode?

Also seem to be doing wrong with summons, I don't yet have KoRT but no matter the setup I am trying summons seem to be outclassed by magic in every aspect, more mp, baham zero seem to be even with ultima (or slightly less) and last but not least, one use only :x
So yeah if someone figured out a good summoning setup I am all ears!

[EDIT : What are you guys using as end game accessories? Str/mag/lck boost are not required anymore, Ribbon used to be my way to go but since it now seems to prevent you to use any buffs...
So I am stuck with vit/str and elem resist. Also can't seem to figure out what the Relic Rings are doin'... ]

Thanks and keep up the hard work!
« Last Edit: 2019-01-02 10:04:26 by unsecured1 »

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: 2019-01-02 15:38:10 »
Still having a few questions :
I have unlocked the second rank 3 limit for Cid but I am still not able to learn Highwind for some reason? I noticed that he only has 1 rank 1 limit break...
Has nothing to do with new threat, that's a FFVII thing. You need to learn ALL 6 Limit breaks in order to learn the last.
A new Limit level is unlocked whenever that character has killed a set amount of enemies. The 2nd Limit Break of a level however is unlocked by using the first one a certain amount of times. So you didn't use the first one often enough to get Dynamite unlocked, but Cid already killed enough for Dragon. So just set Cid's Limit Level to 1, give him Fury and equip Cover materia. Or manipulate ahard hitting enemy and keep bashing Cid.

Who are the ??? referring to when you check available sp ? Is there a special hidden character I missed ? ;p
Probably Sephiroth, but I doubt that he's useable. But you can craft the Masamune after all.
What's arrange mode? Hard mode?
I literally asked one week ago. So I was told that it makes bosses significantly harder by beefing their stats up and adding new moves / AI.
Also seem to be doing wrong with summons, I don't yet have KoRT but no matter the setup I am trying summons seem to be outclassed by magic in every aspect, more mp, baham zero seem to be even with ultima (or slightly less) and last but not least, one use only :x
So yeah if someone figured out a good summoning setup I am all ears!
Can't help you on that, haven't used any summon in New Threat so far. The long animations discourage me to use them. I know they look good, and the artists did a good job, but if you already have seen those like 10 times, it's rather boring to wait all the time.
[EDIT : What are you guys using as end game accessories? Str/mag/lck boost are not required anymore, Ribbon used to be my way to go but since it now seems to prevent you to use any buffs...
So I am stuck with vit/str and elem resist. Also can't seem to figure out what the Relic Rings are doin'... ]
I suppose Relic Rings make the character "undead" (The Jenova form in the Forgotten City does that to Cloud at the start of the battle). As for FFVII, this was invented/implemented by Sega Chief. So I do not know what the changes are. You are immune to restorative I think. And immune to instant death (?), I don't know.

As for my choices: Peace Ring is great, it protects from 2 nasty status ailments and also lets you keep Fury and Sadness (even after being KO'ed)
Cursed Ring on Powersoul or Master Fist is lit too (In late game, you'll want to have 4xCut for this though).
Champion Belt is also good if you work with Sadness, Barriers and Regen.
Ribbons are still pretty handy for some situations.
But I still used Power Wrists and Earring rather late (not in the Northern Crater though).
I think Amulet isn't worth the trade-off.
Also for North Crater stealing, Sneak Glove ist a must have.
Sprint Shoes are also nice.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-02 15:40:03 by soku »

Elastoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: 2019-01-02 20:53:11 »
Is the Goldberry fight working correctly? It starts out with their using Chef's Curse and breaking all your defenses to ailments... but they're also breaking the ability to recover from them. Remedies and Esuna no longer cure petrify, stop or sleep, so any infliction of these is essentially removing the character from the battle.

That can't possibly be right, can it?

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: 2019-01-02 21:16:13 »
Their knife attack also applies the Resist status. Which prevents status toggle. It can be removed by using dispel or a holy torch item.

unsecured1

• View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: 2019-01-05 10:29:00 »
@soku : Lots of good points, thanks mate! Sorry about that limit break thing, can't believe I forgot about that! Silly me!

Aside from that I recently got Barret's ultimate, I reckon it lacks a bit of oomph and utility (4 materia max!).

I also noticed a bug : the atb resets when reaching max instead of allowing your character to act. This only happens during the first battle turn, only for one character at a time (the one who seems to start with the biggest atb)  and only for fast characters (200 dex+). My slow af Barret never has any issues but my lightning fast Cloud and Red XIII get 1 out of 3 turns canceled:-/
Might be a vanilla thing though, I can vaguely remember something like that..

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: 2019-01-05 15:26:08 »
@soku : Lots of good points, thanks mate! Sorry about that limit break thing, can't believe I forgot about that! Silly me!

Aside from that I recently got Barret's ultimate, I reckon it lacks a bit of oomph and utility (4 materia max!).

I also noticed a bug : the atb resets when reaching max instead of allowing your character to act. This only happens during the first battle turn, only for one character at a time (the one who seems to start with the biggest atb)  and only for fast characters (200 dex+). My slow af Barret never has any issues but my lightning fast Cloud and Red XIII get 1 out of 3 turns canceled:-/
Might be a vanilla thing though, I can vaguely remember something like that..

It's a vanilla bug, but I can't remember if it's to do with a specific materia (sneak attack maybe?) or high dex as you said.

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: 2019-01-05 20:36:14 »
Hey guys I'm looking for the triple ap weapon of Vincent can't find it anyone knows where it is?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: 2019-01-05 23:10:17 »
The chest carrying it next to gelnika's save point was set to invisible by accident, making it unobtainable. Best bet is a save editor for the time being.

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: 2019-01-08 17:49:37 »
Hello. I now have completed this mod. It was great. There are still some things I want to mention / report:

(Potential) Glitches:
Somewhere (IIRC it was at the respectable inn), I was told that the max. level would be 70... But now here I am, with 9 level 99 characters.

At the end of the game, I got a special reward from Mr. Smile for "not using any sources"... But I actually used all 8 upgrades on every character.

I wondered where to get Supershot ST, and I also thought that one to be Vincent's Triple weapon. But since another fellow user literraly asked about that it just got answered. So yeah, Supershot inaccessable.

Another Chest related Glitch I mentioned about a week ago: there is a chest in the Northern Cave (right path - contains a speed source in vanilla) which is only reachable by using a well-known PC-version bug. But still, this eventuality was covered, since when you open it you receive "A pile of good ol' Nothing :)". However, opening this chest erases the Black Caped Man (= Boss) at the end of the path, making the Moon Crystal (and Limited Moon as well) unobtainable. This hypothesis is poved by not opening this particular chest, beating the boss and then returning to the place where the chest was. The chest is now opened. So this 2 events are, for whatever reason, linked, obviously.

Another minor chest glitch: A chest in Midgar Sector 8 containing Contain materia (pun intended), as well as a chest in the northern cave containing Shield Materia, disappear promptly after being opened.

In the gold saucer wonder square, the Basketball game ought to give you a double chance after 10 hits. The new in-game text now says Triple chance. However, it doesn't triple everytime. It only triples sometimes, but mostly it still doubles. Also, after a certain point I scored, like 20 baskets in a row, after one or tweo doubles. But I was not offered another double/triple. Intended?

You can get Planet and Full-Cure Materia twice. Intended? (Especially the two Full-Cure Materia can be gotten at literally the same story progression).

You get 2 Long range materia in kalm. One of which is Level one master, the other one level one with 0 AP (like Underwater in Vanilla)

Tifa/Cid as party leader is sometimes flawed. If you also have Cloud in your party, sometimes he is shown in the world map. Also, if you put Cloud in your party while him not being the leader, he sometimes gets unremovable at some point (so you have to return to the Highwind in order to remove him again).

Dark cave scene (I'll try to explain without spoilers):
In the second screen, there is a scene with Cloud, Barret and another person. After the scene, Cloud will automatically move to the 3rd screen. But when returning to the 2nd screen, the said scene will trigger again, as if it didn't happen just before.

Minigame rewards
Now I realize that you intentioanlly made minigames less annoying. Also, I also like it that there is no more chocobo race rare prize exclusive item / materia. But some rewards are really pitiful imho. Some examples:

First time scoring 10k+ in G-Bike: It used to be a Speed Source (Yeah, I know these are "banned", don't get me wrong here). Now it's just a Speed Drink IIRC. If it would be more speed drinks, or some other items too, I wouldn't be b*tching around here now^^

Some Fort Condor Rewards really improved - in vanilla you even used to get Potions and Hi-Potions sometimes. Ugh. Now, it's better, but IMHO "10x Remedy" is given too often. Why not chipping somthing nice (non-exclusive) at some point, eg. a Rune Armlet, or a set of status inflicting items?

Snowboarding: The same as in Vanilla. All-Materia (since you can't buy them now, tis one isn't too bac actually), Safety Bit and Crystal Armlet... You can buy those things even before the Snowboarding Game is available. I would suggest either making this game available earlier (eg when receiving Tiny Bronco), or improving the rewards.

Submarine Game: Same problem as the Snowboarding game.

Chocobo race rewards however are handled very well, props for that!

Dialogue (once again haha):

I can follow your arguments regarding Yuffie having not real character development, and her being here for jokes mostly. And yeah, I never doubted that her main drive is the materia (it was the same in vanilla actually). But she is also anti-shinra af. And selling avalanche out to shinra would making shinra much stronger, just sayin'.

Now I appreciate the keeping Aeris alive part, but there is some logic (dialogue) missing after she survives imho. She didnt explain what she was trying to do, and noone even asks her. That kinda gave me the impression that it's non-canon even in this mod. So if you are interested, my suggestions for a less rough solution:
1) Expanding the talking scene at the end of "disk" 1, in the extent that Aeries awakes and explains what she was trying to do (and not sure if she succeeded, hence still pursuing Sephiroth)
OR
2) Actually Aeris can give Cloud a longer and more profound explanation during his dream, and after he awakes, he tells that Barret and Tifa, so everyone is up to date.

Another thing about Aeris is that there is no reaction whatsoever from her when going to Gast's house and watching the records. Maybe this can be made a part of Aeris' Sidequest (?)

Miscellaneous:
So, What's the 3rd last enemy skill? The records say it's "Alpha" used by Alpha Zolom, but I only ever saw it using "Beta".

During the game, you'll find 4 copies of Elemental. IMHO, that's too much. Can one of those be another materia, or at least, the last one be already mastered?

I really love some of the flavour texts - big props! My favourite are those from Hero Drink II (just that same sh*t food manufacturers in real life haha) and Cactuar Gun (the only item implying fixed damage - while others with fixes damage output exist, this one isn't one of them). But there is one I don't get - Motor Drive says "Go the fast" - is that broken English or just a reference I don't get?

I'm pretty sure you know of all public resources on unused FFVII stuff, but still, I'm gonna post a link to a YT playlist, as maybe some other users don't know about all which is listed there - it's a great summary of unused stuff.
FFVII Unlocked - Unused Scenes Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL305DD0D525301357

I will definitely play again, especially when the lv 70 cap is gonna work. And next time arrange mode ofc.
You deserved a donation - I wish I could give you more right now.

Thank you very much!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: 2019-01-08 22:13:08 »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll go through it just now:

-) The level cap was only present in earlier builds, but is perhaps still referred to in the materials somewhere. Level handling in damage formulas was passed over to a character AI chunk which caused its own problems but eliminated the need for the level cap.

-) The north crater boss + that chest probably share a variable trigger or something.

-) The disappearing chests in ancient forest are prob cause they used to be item bags lying on the ground, which are intended to vanish after being examined. The line of script was probably left in by mistake.

-) I don't remember modifying the basketball game but there is every chance that I have and forgotten about it. Will investigate.

-) Materia drops toward the end of the game have been shuffled around a lot, and there's this problem of duplicates popping up.

-) The world map party leader thing is a limitation with how the world map script decides which character to show. Priority is Cloud > Tifa > Cid with no check to see who is actually party leader. Those characters getting locked in PHS if they're not party leader is actually to do with this, because a serious glitch can occur if you're on world map with access to characters who have higher priority.

Basically, if you have Tifa or Cid as party leader, PHS someone in with a higher priority and then save your game without closing the menu, the game will still have the higher priority character model's coordinates at x00,y00 in the savemap. So even though you close the menu and are in the right place, when that save is loaded you'll appear in the middle of the ocean with no way to get back.

The game uses 00,00 as a storage location for models not currently in use, like vehicles and other party leaders.

-) I'll check the prizes, not looked at them for a long time.

-) Dialogue-wise for Aeris, I tried to find a way to set it up so that it wouldn't hijack the story. I think when she leaves your party for the last time to head for the forgotten city, she mentions during Cloud's dream that she's not sure what she's doing, just that she has a feeling there's something there. So I ran with that to keep the logic of later scenes on Disc 2 intact.

I've seen Shademp's videos and I reactivated some scenes (or rebuilt completely) using them as a point of reference. The Mt. Corel scenes, the alternate helicopter landing at Costa del Sol, etc.

Balance-wise, we'll see about the elemental materia. I think one extra was added for Red coming along, mostly because the one in shinra hq can be missed.

Thanks for the donation, bud; glad you enjoyed the mod. There'll be a 2.0 rebuild someday.

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: 2019-01-09 16:01:02 »
Thanks for the feedback
And thanks for the answer!

It's completely understandable that you missed one or two questions since my post was as long as a novel^^

So I'm gonna ask right again: What's the 3rd last enemy skill? The documentation says "Alpha" by Midgar zolom. But I never saw Alpha Zolom use "Alpha".

About the basketball game: when you see this, you'll definitely remember that you modded that game^^
https://i.imgur.com/Ht9Lx8O.jpg
Jokes aside, this is a big game, and you already are modding for years, so it's no wonder that the modding of non-important things, especially if they don't contribute to the story at all, are being forgotten. This happened to me too actually (but I'm just modding a SNES game - FFV)

But going to the Wonder Square for this very screenshot made me remember that I also wanted to mention that the things you can exchange your GP for are the same as in vanilla too. The non-mystery prizes were not stellar already, but the mystery ones are useless now too, as you get EXP+ and Gil+ earlier as well. And the carob nut for 500GP is still the biggest trap in the gold saucer haha

Also, a small suggestion/request: would it be possible to introduce a "toggle exp" option on save points? For the case you want to farm some items or fighting for fun/atmosphere without becoming overleveled.
If you like this idea, I think this can replace the "no encounters" option, because Enemy Away materia already exists. (Enemy away can also be programmed to reduce the encounter rate to 0%, can it?)

Mijin

• View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: 2019-01-11 21:02:08 »
I recently started a new playthrough using the New Threat mod via the "Gameplay - Difficulty and Story" mod in the 7th Heaven mod loader. Upon reaching where Red XIII join the party I realized there was no Enemy Skill materia left on the ground. I looked at the "Where is the Thing" text file and noticed it says that Red XIII is supposed to come with the Enemy Skill materia equipped, and that if he doesn't then the New Threat mod wasn't installed correctly.

I tried downloading the version that's separate from the "Gameplay - Difficlty and Story" and manually importing it to the 7h loader (I didn't try the stand alone version). I also replaced the ff7.exe with the ff7_bc.exe that comes with the download because I'm also using "The Reunion - Because and Menu Overhaul". Once I loaded the game up it was broken, mobs hp's were unchanged and EXP bar was shooting off the side of the screen into eternity. So I decided to revert back to the "Gameplay - Difficulty and Story" NT version, and reverted back to the standard ff7_bc.exe that comes with the 7h mod loader.

I decided to use a save game editor to add the Enemy Skill materia that I missed, and loaded it with Matra Magic and Laser which I would have learned from the Sample:G0624 boss fight. But my question is this:

Will there be any other bugs in the game if I continue using this version of the New Threat mod?
« Last Edit: 2019-01-11 21:04:40 by Mijin »

UpRisen

• View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: 2019-01-11 22:11:41 »
there have been many changes and updates between the 7th heaven base version and the newest version via this post. The original 7h version is playable, and can be completed but you are really missing out on how the mod is "meant" to be.

My recommendation would be to restart using the most recent version.

Mijin

• View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: 2019-01-12 05:05:53 »
My recommendation would be to restart using the most recent version.

I can't even seem to get the most recent version to work; unless the problem is in fact that I didn't restart and instead tested with a saved game. Restarting at this point would be a little painful since I'm 10 hours in, but I guess if it's really worth it I could try to rebuild my save with the save editor.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-12 05:07:57 by Mijin »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: 2019-01-12 11:48:06 »
Was sick for the last few days but on the mend now.

And thanks for the answer!

It's completely understandable that you missed one or two questions since my post was as long as a novel^^

So I'm gonna ask right again: What's the 3rd last enemy skill? The documentation says "Alpha" by Midgar zolom. But I never saw Alpha Zolom use "Alpha".

About the basketball game: when you see this, you'll definitely remember that you modded that game^^
https://i.imgur.com/Ht9Lx8O.jpg
Jokes aside, this is a big game, and you already are modding for years, so it's no wonder that the modding of non-important things, especially if they don't contribute to the story at all, are being forgotten. This happened to me too actually (but I'm just modding a SNES game - FFV)

But going to the Wonder Square for this very screenshot made me remember that I also wanted to mention that the things you can exchange your GP for are the same as in vanilla too. The non-mystery prizes were not stellar already, but the mystery ones are useless now too, as you get EXP+ and Gil+ earlier as well. And the carob nut for 500GP is still the biggest trap in the gold saucer haha

Also, a small suggestion/request: would it be possible to introduce a "toggle exp" option on save points? For the case you want to farm some items or fighting for fun/atmosphere without becoming overleveled.
If you like this idea, I think this can replace the "no encounters" option, because Enemy Away materia already exists. (Enemy away can also be programmed to reduce the encounter rate to 0%, can it?)

The Alpha enemy skill was dropped in favour of a new one called Transfusion, but that's currently unobtainable (and may be for the best, it seems to break when used). I'll sort this out soon.

So I seem to have messed with the basketball game after all. I'll revisit the area some time, I think it's been mostly untouched since the first build.

EXP = 0 could be arranged I think. I'll look into making Enemy Away 100% before doing it though.

I recently started a new playthrough using the New Threat mod via the "Gameplay - Difficulty and Story" mod in the 7th Heaven mod loader. Upon reaching where Red XIII join the party I realized there was no Enemy Skill materia left on the ground. I looked at the "Where is the Thing" text file and noticed it says that Red XIII is supposed to come with the Enemy Skill materia equipped, and that if he doesn't then the New Threat mod wasn't installed correctly.

I tried downloading the version that's separate from the "Gameplay - Difficlty and Story" and manually importing it to the 7h loader (I didn't try the stand alone version). I also replaced the ff7.exe with the ff7_bc.exe that comes with the download because I'm also using "The Reunion - Because and Menu Overhaul". Once I loaded the game up it was broken, mobs hp's were unchanged and EXP bar was shooting off the side of the screen into eternity. So I decided to revert back to the "Gameplay - Difficulty and Story" NT version, and reverted back to the standard ff7_bc.exe that comes with the 7h mod loader.

I decided to use a save game editor to add the Enemy Skill materia that I missed, and loaded it with Matra Magic and Laser which I would have learned from the Sample:G0624 boss fight. But my question is this:

Will there be any other bugs in the game if I continue using this version of the New Threat mod?

It sounds like your kernel wasn't patched and if playing through 7H this means that the setup process for that has been messed up somewhere. Make sure to follow all the steps as closely as you can, and be careful during the game converter step: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0
« Last Edit: 2019-01-12 11:51:21 by Sega Chief »

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #7470 on: 2019-01-12 20:43:46 »
Hey there.
How is this mod compatibility wise?
7th heaven seems to be way outdated now. Is it better to use the sandalone install?
Is it compatible with because and menu overhaul (without the stats bug)?
I seem to recall seeing some talk about 2.0 version. Is it still on the works?

UpRisen

• View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: 2019-01-12 22:13:41 »
the newest NT iro for use with 7th heaven is the "best" overall since it allows you to use graphical and music mods of your choice. NT IS compatible with the menu overhaul, but NOT with beacause. To use the menu overhaul you need to use the ff7_bc.exe that is included in the newest NT 1.5 download on the initial post of this thread.

NT can be used with any music, movie, sfx, texture, or model mod free of conflicts as long as NT is loaded below them all. I recommend putting NT at the very bottom of your load order.

Drexl

• View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: 2019-01-16 02:16:15 »
What do I need to do to make BC and NT compatible? I'm willing to put in the work for this because I can't decide between these mods. I'm looking to replay FF7 for the first time in quite awhile and after reading up on all the great mods available I consider these two critical. I'm new to this scene (well, sorta... it's been so long my account got purged and I had to make a new one), but competent so if someone can point me in the right direction I can probably figure it out.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-16 06:44:03 by Drexl »

Drexl

• View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: 2019-01-16 06:01:36 »
Been doing a bit of digging. Is it just the flevl.lgb entries that are the problem? I read something about a tool to help patch these, but I can't find it. Google hasn't helped me yet either, but perhaps my Google-fu isn't strong enough.

I imagine making these mods compatible can't be too simple or it would've been done by now surely.

Edit: Been poking around with Makou Reactor. If all I need to do is take all the flevel entries from NT and and patch in the text changes from BC (or vice-versa, not sure which one modifies more... can I diff them?) then that's not too bad, just time consuming. Surely it's not that simple though. Also, if this fabled patching tool Lusky apparently made exists it would likely be a better solution than Makou reactor. Or I could be going about this completely the wrong way. I've got no idea yet as this is all new to me and I'm just poking around as I have time.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-16 06:36:16 by Drexl »

UematsuSan

• View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: 2019-01-16 06:49:28 »
I just wanted to provide a combat-related suggestion. I'm not sure how possible it is to tweak these mechanics, but to me, they're some of the major issues that have plagued the (original) game for a long time: Wait mode is doesn't really wait every time it should.

Bear with me on the details, this is a bit technical and hard to explain.

How Wait Mode is intended to work:
In vanilla FF7 (and this mod at this time), Wait Mode is intended to lock ATB while players are choosing their command. It's also meant to wait while animations are playing in order to keep relative balancing between a simple 3-second Potion item command and a say 8-second Cure ability. I understand this can come down to personal taste, but I think anyone NOT playing in Wait mode is most likely experiencing a relatively broken balancing between short and long commands, making the former usually more powerful just because they are quicker to complete.

How it actually works:
Right now, when casting any ability, you'll notice a lot of inconsistencies when using Wait Mode.

For starters, it doesn't seem to wait while selecting a command (top menu, if you will). Both ally and enemy ATB keep going, forcing any "hop" into that top menu (when going from selecting a magic ability and back out to select Attack, for example) to push ATB forward. In reality, the enemy wins with this one, as the player is simply trying to select a command to be executed.

Next up is while a character is "prepping" a cast. By "prepping", I mean that roughly 3-second-long animation before the spell comes out. ATB just keeps going during that time, making spell-casting detrimental, especially at a high frequency. When factoring fights against multiple enemies, then all of their ATBs will rise, resulting in an even more penalizing situation. This creates a wildly inconsistent experience with balancing depending on the player or the builds being used. i.e. Caster-centric builds are limiting. For example, when casting a simple spell like Cure, all ATBs will keep moving along for about 3 seconds until the spell is prepped and in effect. Only at this time will the ATB truly stop.

Another issue I've seen with this is how any countdown ability behaves. While a character is under the effect of say Death Sentence, casting any spell with prep time will keep the countdown going, essentially shaving off ~3 seconds off of the timer. In order to be less penalized by this mechanic, I guess players can play at a faster combat speed so more actions come out before the character's time is up, but that might be pushing pacing into an unwanted or uncomfortable speed for some people.

Lastly, in order to circumvent this issue, I've noticed a very degenerate behavior in FF7 speedruns where players select a command (like Attack) and leave their target selection cursor active while all the casting is being completed. This is the only way currently to really STOP any ATB (from both allies and enemies alike). That means they also always try to have 1 character in a menu selection in order to be able to lock the ATB. I'm going to go ahead and say this wasn't really the intended way to play the game. As a side-note, Limit Breaks also seem to stop ATB completely as soon as they start casting, which gives me hope that this could potentially be resolved.

Recap of issues with Wait Mode:

1) AI will take more turns than they should
2) Players are deterred from casting spells against large (2-3+) groups of enemies
3) Overall inconsistent balancing
4) Any ability with a countdown-timer goes faster than intended (ex: Death Sentence).  Players need to play at higher speed, changing pacing to a potentially less enjoyable state
5) Degenerate "cursor hover lock" exploit

I played another amazing mod a while ago for FF6 (called Brave New World) and since the game also suffered from this issue, they ended up fixing this same issue somehow. Again, this might be a lot to ask, but I think all the awesome balancing that's been done in this mod would be a lot more consistent with this fix.

I understand this goes really deep into combat mechanics, and like I said earlier, this can also be of personal taste/preference. I'm not really here to debate which one is best for whom, but I only wanted to provide my own personal point of view on what I think would make the combat (again, arguably) a lot better.

That being said, this mod is by far the best one I've seen for FF7. I'm about a third of the way in and it's making me experience the game in a whole new way, and I'm extremely thankful for the work you've done. I also registered on this forum just to post this, since there still seems to be quite a bit of support for this mod. Keep up the awesome work!