Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread  (Read 311003 times)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread
« Reply #150 on: 2012-07-13 09:33:55 »
most people i meet hate both ff7 and ff6 equally
it probably depends on how thick your nostalgia goggles are
you will find haters for anything if you go to thr right places
and personally, i think a few people here are pretty damn biased themselves, even without realizing it

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #151 on: 2012-07-13 12:01:08 »
most people i meet hate both ff7 and ff6 equally

How can someone hate ff7... There are so many right messages (ecological, friendship, love etc...) it's like hating a nice book because it doesn't have picture in it...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2012-07-13 12:38:18 »
Be kewl if they add some sort of new game+ or difficulty mod. It goes hand in hand with the achievements and character booster. It wouldn't really take much aether... sith did it all by himself. Heck there already going to have to fix all the stat bugs, why not go the little extra mile.

Hardcore mods are a lot more involving than you think.  I see a great shock for you when you find out the PC version is exactly the same as the usual one with very slight improvements which Aali has already far surpassed.  8-)  We will see, but I think people are asking a mighty mighty lot if they are expecting anything other than cash in.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2012-07-13 14:35:24 »
Hardcore mods are a lot more involving than you think.  I see a great shock for you when you find out the PC version is exactly the same as the usual one with very slight improvements which Aali has already far surpassed.  8-)  We will see, but I think people are asking a mighty mighty lot if they are expecting anything other than cash in.
If the rerelease doesn't offer more than what we already do here, I hope it doesn't spell bad news for us...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2012-07-13 15:51:32 »
Considering the old PC version has some pretty serious problems on modern machines (and is getting tougher and tougher to find legally) it's hard to blame them. A cash in though it may be, this is still better than not re-releasing it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2012-07-13 16:06:09 »
I am blindly hoping that the code for the submarine minigame is restored to how it should be (even though I have made it work pretty good anyway) and that battles are 60fps etc..  and that FMV are 640*448 higher quality with better codec.

But what I expect is a less buggy windows 7 compatible PC version... with the same graphics and frame rates as the original PC.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2012-07-13 17:22:26 »
and that FMV are 640*448 higher quality with better codec.
If the trailer is anything to go by, the FMVs have definitely been replaced. They'd be downright stupid to still require TrueMotion in this day and age, and that's not an expensive or difficult thing to change.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2012-07-13 17:46:29 »
Well as I say, the trailer proves nothing.  That might just be a trailer than you and I could make and not reflective of the game .  I agree they'd be stupid to keep the old codec and quality but whether they are using higher rendered fmv... I find doubtful.  Most likely going to be reencoded upscaled PSX ones...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2012-07-13 17:51:00 »
Well as I say, the trailer proves nothing.  That might just be a trailer than you and I could make and not reflective of the game .  I agree they'd be stupid to keep the old codec and quality but whether they are using higher rendered fmv... I find doubtful.  Most likely going to be reencoded upscaled PSX ones...
Oh, rerendered? They probably don't have the original assets with which to do that. But re-encoded upscaled PSX is still an improvement on what the old PC version has, especially depending on how they upscale it. Since they have render farms and stuff, they could probably use a more advanced method that we simply do not have the resources for.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2012-07-13 17:54:06 »
It will be interesting to see just what they have done, but if they leave the original FMV, I will have to literally piss my pants.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2012-07-13 20:13:17 »
It will be interesting to see just what they have done, but if they leave the original FMV, I will have to literally piss my pants.
I may do the same; I feel this release from their site may take many months of patience from all of us.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 18:09:18 by ajthedj747 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2012-07-13 21:05:18 »
I wonder if they will filter the field screens in some way as well.

I mean, they can't just leave them like the PSX at 320 by whatever. It would make support for higher resolutions moot when you are running around in field screens since those backgrounds basically are the eye candy for the non-battle parts of the game, so having a higher res support won't mean jack shit except for the WM, battle, and minigames.

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2012-07-13 21:20:26 »

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2012-07-13 21:51:20 »
I wonder if they will filter the field screens in some way as well.

I mean, they can't just leave them like the PSX at 320 by whatever. It would make support for higher resolutions moot when you are running around in field screens since those backgrounds basically are the eye candy for the non-battle parts of the game, so having a higher res support won't mean jack shit except for the WM, battle, and minigames.

It depends.  We have 2 likely possibilities:

1.  This is a cash in.
2.  This is a laugh in your face cash in.

Number 1 may give us something to say "cool" about, whereas 2 won't.  It is not impossible that they have left the original graphics intact.  I can't wait to find out.  :mrgreen:

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2012-07-13 22:56:16 »
1.  This is a cash in.
2.  This is a laugh in your face cash in.
Yes Dan, we know your stance on this issue... Stop spamming everybody's posts with your cash in claims. Your lucky Qhimm's staff favors you because you would have atleast gotten a warning at this point for spamming the board with your cash in claims.

On topic I feel that they pretty much have to get this right a second time. There is only so much you can burn fans and damage your brand before it really effects the bottom line. IF they fail this it will be unlikely the company as a whole would be trusted with another release of any PC final fantasy. However, if they succeed they will renew interest in there FF brand and will likely redo FF8 as well. (If all goes well)

Me am not so pessimistic as to dismiss any version of FF7 without first knowing anything about the game. Oh! and half of the FF games were unveiled with only pre-rendered movies, no game play. In some cases only a music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRJo5oWLQg                                                  (FF13-2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXst3qIluI                                                       (FFX) (2 second screen of gameplay kinda)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XgGV1ZJK0&feature=related                        (FF8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9zzFEdGWk                                                   (FF7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt_gdJwDZA&feature=related                        (FF13 Versus) Not the original but the best one... they are all pre-rendered.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-14 03:30:21 by Mako »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2012-07-13 23:03:16 »
I take this post back.  I have nothing more to say to you except grow up.  We all repeat ourselves and it is just as legitimate to have a negative opinion as it is to have a positive one.  Your posts claim to be open minded, but all they have shown us is a hack job trailer that any dope could have made.  There are no facts here except with the way Enix is these days, a cash in is far more likely.

When it does come out and my opinion (rather observation) is vindicated, I hope you will have the balls to come back here and accept it that you were naive.  Enix are thriving on it.  I hope they do add something to this PC version, I hope higher quality backgrounds and FMV's are used and not just upscales.  I do.  It would be great.  But something rivalling Felix's world map?  Haha, keep dreaming.  Enix has been more about money for a long time.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-13 23:12:46 by DLPB »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2012-07-13 23:22:30 »
Thanks for that meaningful post of 'cash in' yet again. Thanks for also pointing out that I need to grow up, very constructive there. BTW all of those (even the FF7 commercial) is official. thanks for spamming... again.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2012-07-13 23:32:08 »
Of course it is a cash in. With all the major demand still for ff7 discs they would be retarded not to re-release this. It is just good business sense. Businesses are designed to make money. Anything ff7 related basically prints them cash, even if they do not touch the graphics at all, which I expect they will not do.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2012-07-13 23:36:27 »
They re-released FFIV last year and left it pretty much untouched.

They'd probably generate more outrage by modifying FFVII.
The fans already love the original.

It would be nice to see an official English language release of the original FFIII.
They could really polish that one up and bring it to a whole new audience.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2012-07-13 23:47:31 »
They re-released FFIV last year and left it pretty much untouched.
The PSP version? I hope you're referring to the story. All the art and music assets were completely remade.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2012-07-14 01:34:26 »
Those FF7 and FF8 TV commercials always made me lol.

"If he succeeds....You survive....If he fails....YOU! Can always hit the reset button."

"To succeed He'll need intelligence...strength....courage! You, on the other hand will need a playstation, and lots and lots of free time."

Gotta love square and their advertising technique of not showing a single bit of gameplay

Terid__K

« Reply #172 on: 2012-07-14 16:33:20 »
If they were going to remaster anything, it would be for a console release. Since this is a PC exclusive release (as far as we know), don't expect anything other than compatibility with newer hardware (and some online features as an excuse to add DRM).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2012-07-14 16:38:03 »
Ah, logic at last.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #174 on: 2012-07-15 10:01:07 »
The PSP version? I hope you're referring to the story. All the art and music assets were completely remade.

I walkedthrough that a bit it was lovely!