Author Topic: An Original Game, an Original Story?  (Read 14316 times)

Mesden

• View Profile
An Original Game, an Original Story?
« on: 2009-03-16 06:09:54 »
While our Team is hard at work bringing FF7Voice to life, being a Director has brought some ideas to mind. The Qhimm Forums has thousands of Members devoted to the Final Fantasy Series... People experienced in Programming, Sound Production, Graphic Design, even Composers from the OCRemix Forums visit here regularly.

With thousands of Members at our fingertips, what if we were to start another Project which isn't based on something already out there. What if we were to start something Original? Using the Members of the Qhimm Forums, we put together a Crew for the Visual Design, a Crew for the Sound Production and Composition, a Crew of Programmers, a Crew for Marketing, and start something Next-Gen. Something based on a Final Fantasy type Story (an RPG), but the result being a Video Game the Developers would be paid for. Like FF7Voice, the Project wouldn't have Financial Gain during Production, but since it's Original, if it could be Marketed, then we would see an Income.

Remember, FF7Voice started as an idea, we're already about 30% through Disk 1 and we intend to finish it, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this. So share your thoughts below.

koral

Re: An Original Game, an Original Story?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-17 14:47:14 »
Interesting idea.

The first (and most important) requirement for any game would be an Engine, and Q-Gears might be up to that job one day.
I am sure many of the programmers here (me included) could come up with alternative engines, but why re-invent the wheel?

And for such a project to go commercial, it wouldn't do to attribute any part of it to these forums.

Just my two pennies  :lol:

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-30 04:55:08 »
not a bad idea but alot of the people your trying to get involved don't frequent any more and those who do are busy with there non forum related work/studies other then that sounds like a good idea.

what kind of rpg we talking turn based, realtime, combination of those to, action rpg like fable action rpg like the older square games like SOM/SOE, or an altogeather new hybrid

whos gonna write the story is it gonna be open ended or linier

plain single player or multiplayer or mmo

what sort of mechanics are gonna be required melee/ranged magic technological phyisics

what sort of health mana combat system

how long a game

as you can see these are just some of the questions that are involved in making a game what it all comes down to is the commitment of the team involved  and if they can answer all the questions and have the same ideal goal point at the end of it all not the mention you can have the same goal but lack the skills to bring it to fruition

not to mention the engine i dissagree with koral the engine would have to made from scratch because otherwise it's kinda like an adopted child you can love it all the same but there are things that can only be changed by genetics or origanal coding

anto8m

« Reply #3 on: 2009-04-26 17:38:53 »

whos gonna write the story is it gonna be open ended or linier

I could write a story. I'm a professional writer, specializing in the subjects of myth, religion and spirituality. Studying myth I see the RPG as the perfect medium for communicating the ideas of spiritual transformation and self-actualization. There is more mystery, more drama and more fantasy in this world than in any world that we can invent; so why invent a world? I would like to set the myth in this world, or an exaggerated version of this world; neither a medieval fantasy setting nor magic-industrial.

The thing about the medieval set RPGs, is that they are based on 19th Century Romanticist rewrites of oral tradition, ignoring the fact that new myths have always been generated for a new generation, based on the same principles. The parables of Jesus, based on the Torah, brought in Greek and Egyptian thought, whilst retaining the core message. The Buddha similarly reworked the Hindu tradition, and Muhammad adapted the Judeo-Christian tradition for a different people of a different age, again whilst retaining the core message.

Myths have always been reworked, yet they never change. For the past several thousand years they have been communicated orally, then literally, in Greece, Mystery Plays were enacted and this tradition continued on into the works of playwrights such as Shakespeare and Operatists like Handel and finally in the 20th Century, the great revolution of the Motion Picture brought myth to a mass audience. You should of course be aware of the litany of comic-based films flooding the public consciousness carrying the same themes of identity, power and "truth". But largely overlooked is the RPG, while not as widely consumed as a blockbuster film production, the depth of involvement is unparalleled.

An RPG that including the esoteric mysticism of Kabbalah and Hermeticism, the orders of Druids and Freemasons, the transcendental meditation techniques of Yogi and Shamans, would have no equal. Set in the modern era, with exaggerations; multi-national corporations and fascist regimes, climate change and the machinations of the Catholic Church. The war in Israel, and all of it's apocalyptic associations, is just asking to be incorporated into an RPG. Why invent a baddie, when you've got the Anti-Christ?

There wouldn't be any magic, but we could use "Psyche" instead. Monsters are not real, but symbolic representations of the Hero's subconscious ala Jung & Hillman. New abilities could be obtained through learning new meditative/trance-inducing techniques from holy men and gurus from across the world. The elements: Chaos (Primordial Nothingness), Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Ice (Firmament of the Heavens), Sun and Lighting; if the sun symbolizes "Truth" then lightning, as a concentrated burst of solar energy is the Sword of Truth, the double-edged sword that can kill with one end and revive with another.

Let me know if you're interested, I'm currently writing a book analyzing myths from across the world (e.g. how the Fire god isn't really a fire god, but a symbolic representation of instinct, impulse, lust, anger, emotion etc.) And I'd love to put these principles into practice and compose my own myth after studying the works of other master mythographers I'd like to see I fare; less analysing; more making.

P.s. Consider using XNA tools, if you're serious about creating an original RPG (and making some coin while you're at it) then having the chance of selling it on XBOX LIVE is something to think about.

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-29 22:37:22 »
Any Programmers or Graphic Designers out there?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-04 22:52:49 »
Lol are you serious? Most people who visit this site are under 18 years old

O RLY?

Where did you come by this information? :-P

BTW, most of the site's most prolific posters are well over 18

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-04 23:09:46 »
By that logic, we have a lot of girls as well :lol:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-04 23:12:53 »
hang on a sec there, KM, there's no "female" bar on that chart. You saying there are absolutely *NO* women on qhimm??

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-09-04 23:14:19 »
No, Alexa is :-P

It probably means that women are a statistically insignificant proportion of qhimm's users :cry:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-09-04 23:28:02 »
Makes sense. I don't believe I've yet confirmed anybody on these forums to be a woman. We need to take some affirmative action.

Project FF7 PINK EDITION is underway!  :lol:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-04 23:28:37 »
I've come across a few women here, but there aren't many :oops:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-04 23:55:26 »
Kudistos, you're aware of course that as of now you're 4 posts away from 1337 posts.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-09-04 23:56:58 »
I am now!

I want my 1337ieth post to be a good one, but it will probably be something inane :roll:

BTW, I now have more posts in Game Tweaking than anyone else on qhimm. Hurrah!
« Last Edit: 2009-09-05 00:20:56 by Kudistos Megistos »

Dango88

« Reply #13 on: 2009-09-21 00:43:59 »
I'm a girl (waves really hard), and I like the sound of FF7 PINK EDITION  :wink:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-09-21 00:45:25 »
w00t! It's working already and I haven't even started it yet! :-D

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-09-21 00:50:02 »
So we have two girls on Qhimm? Unless there are others who just haven't registered...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-09-21 00:52:06 »
I'm a girl (waves really hard), and I like the sound of FF7 PINK EDITION  :wink:

Hi there :lol:

w00t! It's working already and I haven't even started it yet! :-D

Well, you'd better get started soon :-D

So according to KM we have two girls on Qhimm? Unless there are others who just haven't registered...

In terms of active members there usually are only one or two women here at any time, unless there are girls who aren't telling anyone that they are girls, which is quite likely

Dango88

« Reply #17 on: 2009-09-21 01:00:06 »
YUCKY! Why pretend to be a boy! No offence  :roll:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-09-21 01:08:46 »
Plenty taken. :-P

For the opposite reason that girls do sexy cosplay at anime conventions. :wink:

Jari

« Reply #19 on: 2009-09-21 01:42:15 »
So we have two girls on Qhimm? Unless there are others who just haven't registered...

Sounds like a fairly accurate estimate of the current situation.

I've been here for a long time, and can name... hmmm... let me count... seven eight members I know to be female - all except two are not active anymore. Plus handful that I suspect to be female. Probably forgot someone, and even more likely am not aware of all of them.

Kinda hard to tell, since many grrrrls don't like to advertise the fact.

EDIT: Just fixing grammar. Way too long with no sleep.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-21 01:46:31 by El Ammo Bandito! »

« Reply #20 on: 2009-09-21 02:49:34 »
Why would a girl not want to advertise they were a girl. Its kind of hard not to... *thinks about it for a second*
*realizes...*

OH!!!! Oh i get it... >.>;;

So the nerd boys would go all silly if they realized that there were nerd girls around here.... O.O;;

why do i suddenly feel scared? Not for my own safety... will hurt any and all guys who come near me.. kwhei!!!
*pulls out tazer*
>>
<<

*realizes this post is a waste of space... is too lazy to edit it... :D*

Jari

« Reply #21 on: 2009-09-21 03:28:16 »
So the nerd boys would go all silly if they realized that there were nerd girls around here.... O.O;;

Surely they wouldn't! :-D

But kidding aside, should a girl actually want attention, it's all here for the taking. All she needs to do is to post some photos.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #22 on: 2009-09-21 11:43:40 »
YUCKY! Why pretend to be a boy! No offence  :roll:

You don't have to pretend to be a male, just don't volunteer the info that you're not. ;) If you don't mind other users assuming you're male without actually saying anything then good for you. :D

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-09-21 11:49:53 »

Surely they wouldn't! :-D

But kidding aside, should a girl actually want attention, it's all here for the taking. All she needs to do is to post some photos.

QFT

And i am here for a long time and knew a few girls, even one that kicked our ass in chess, but thats a whole different story :)

And now on topic. I really like the idea and will sign up for Quallity Testing :) I also have a vivid imagination though i never wrote anything down. If possible i can write a side story or 2, do need to know the main story for that then. Will have to talke to Anto8m for that :) Also Anto8m, please register :) makes PM's more easy in the future if and when this project kicks off :)

edit, forgot anto8m's name :) but having mentioned it 3 times, i am sure i made up for it
« Last Edit: 2009-09-21 11:54:46 by ye-roon »