Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837577 times)

FFman

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] New Threat Mod v1.1
« Reply #125 on: 2014-07-07 14:21:38 »
Shadow Flare is absorbed by Ruby, sadly.
This makes me remember that Ultimate Weapon did not cast it when it died.

I don't know why but weapons are females to me.

Now that I know that the items drop, i'm happy. It's not that long.

Which boss is supposed to be the hardest ?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2014-07-07 14:53:58 »
Damn, that's right. I set those two spells for the Hidden Element. That said, I think I was supposed to make Weapons absorb Holy and weak to Hidden instead so that'll need fixed I think. I dropped Ruby's defence down by 100 so he's got about 140 defence and 160 magic defence or something. Attacks should make more of a dent now.

Edit: Just remembered that Ruby has AI to absorb all magic elements, clean forgot about that. I'll just remove it.

I guess the hardest boss is supposed to be Binah in the KOTR cave? But I guess it depends. Motorball, Jenova Life, and Lost Number might be candidates. Abyss could perhaps cause problems, and Bizarro could be tough because it's a three party fight and taking out the core will be required unless the party has a tonne of firepower.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 14:57:31 by Sega Chief »

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2014-07-07 17:07:30 »
Tonadu drop is fine, I thought I had killed him because of the Battle Square.
Serpent is a pain in the ass mostly because he is the less likely fight in the cargo room, took me 1 hour to get 3 dragon wings.

1 round of luck 7's killed Ruby (497k damage). Did you lower its HP ?
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 17:09:31 by FFman »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2014-07-07 17:14:43 »
Yeah, I reduced Ruby and Emerald's HP. Reason is, KOTR isn't as easy to get to and it lost it's defence-ignoring property. There are plenty of ways to deal damage without it, like using Gravity on Emerald, but as these two aren't the top end bosses anymore I felt it was a good idea to bring them down slightly.

New updates to files are up. The scene patch makes the drops much more likely which should make it less of a grind, and Schizo now drops Protect Rings 100% so they can be farmed via the Highwind Bosses menu.

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2014-07-07 17:28:14 »
Great, thanks.

Did you made a change for Guide Book ?

I'm fighting the chocobo for Pandora's Box, gave him 50 Silkys green it says each time 'Attack increases, Defence decrease' but I still hit him for 200. Any idea ?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2014-07-07 18:49:13 »
I changed Guidebook into a regular drop, should be fairly common.

You fed him Sylkis Greens and it displayed Attack raises, defence decreases? That's odd, I set that for Gysahl Greens not Sylkis. Seems okay in the AI, but maybe it's displaying the wrong text string? Here's a list of what each Green does:

-) Gysahl - Attack = 220, defence = 32
-) Krakka - Defence = 220, attack = 137
-) Tantal - Magic = 220, MagDefence = 32
-) Pahsana - Magic = 137, MagDef = 240
-) Curiel - Speed = 240, Luck = 0
-) Mimmit - Speed = 64, Luck = 240
-) Reagan - Evasion = 240, MagEvasion = 0
-) Sylkis - Evasion = 0, MagEvasion = 240

His stats are fairly high in all areas to begin with, so for physical attacks I'd throw a Gysahl and Sylkis to reduce his defence and evasion. You'd maybe want to reduce his Luck too with a Curiel and using a Pahsana to reduce his Magic Attack if you don't plan to use magic attacks yourself.

I'm going to re-test this AI; let me know if the text is broken on your end or if the stats don't change.

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2014-07-07 19:31:09 »
Gysahl says : "Mevasion rises ! Evasion decrease !" and after 30 of them I still hit for the same 130.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2014-07-07 19:47:53 »
Yeah, I was testing it there. Seems very odd, the AI was a little different from what I usually do so I tested before release a few times. But between that and now, it's somehow stopped working properly. I'll have a shot at fixing it up, or changing it; either way I'll get the scene.bin patch updated for tonight.

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2014-07-07 20:13:06 »
It is OK, take your time.

Ruby is better this way, the same difficulty that Emerald.

Another thing : I didn't get the prize for defeating Variablis. What it is ? (W-summon ?)

Here what left me to do :
- Beat the Pandora's Box chocobo.
- Get the Guidebook and echange it.
- Make Mysterious Tank (Where to get Hypnocrown * 2 ?) and beat it.
- Make Tyrant (If I remember correcty, the red crystal is given when beating Special Battle Square instead of autograph) and beat it.
- Beat KOTR Boss.
- Beat Lost Number. I still didn't figure how to do it.
- Beat the last bosses : Jenova, Sephiroth *2.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-07 20:20:50 by FFman »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2014-07-07 20:36:08 »
No worries. I think I've fixed the stat changes but the item IDs were the wrong way around (Sylkis comes first in the item list, and Gysahl comes last; I got mixed up). I'm going to test the stat changes a little more to be sure.

I'll check for Hypnocrowns but I think it might be the same problem; Pollensalta's name jumped to mind but her normal drop is an Hourglass so it must be a Morph. I better review all the Morph items again because I've clearly had a lapse when I assigned Morph to the Kalm Traveller; it's made some bosses inaccessible until Morph is obtained so that needs fixed.

Variablis should give Shield. I'll check all the Materia drops again. But I've made another mistake, the Living Materia boss should have dropped the Red Crystal/Autograph but I changed it to a Mystile late on. Ziedrich is quite freely available from repeated fights with Lifeform Hojo now so I'll change Vorpar's drop to a Mystile instead.

When you grab Morph, you can get Zeio nuts for a Gold Choco and reach Round Island for the KOTR boss there. I'll say now that the Bit and Byte might be useful for dealing with the third phase of the fight. They also explode and deal %-based damage when killed.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #135 on: 2014-07-08 01:02:46 »
May have overlooked the Guidebook thing. I'd better get that changed pronto  :-[

Shadow Flare also ignores defence but it'll be a chore to use that repeatedly. I'll get something sorted for Ruby, probably just reduce his defence. Of course, 7777 fever is fun too (Is Ruby a 'her'? I never would have guessed).

The drop rates sound strange though. Tonadu's drop rate should be 100%. I'll boost up the drop rates of the other items so they're not as grindy to get, sorry for putting you through 30 Armored Golems; I thought they'd drop every three or so battles.

Drop rates can be iffy. In my experience, anything below a 30% chance tends to turn into a very rare drop.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2014-07-08 12:34:42 »
Seems like it; I set the important ones to 45/63. Not sure what the exact percentage is but it'll probably do the trick.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #137 on: 2014-07-08 12:52:31 »
I don't remember how it checks for item drops. Is the check run on a out-of-255 function? If so I don't understand why the outcome seems so incredibly biased and flawed at lower values. 10(40 out of 255) should drop an item more than once every 30 fights on average.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2014-07-08 13:11:03 »
I looked it up, it seems to be this:

If Random (0-63) <= Item Chance then the item drops.

So 10/63 should be roughly 1/6 (17%); still doesn't seem to match up.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #139 on: 2014-07-08 20:58:13 »
in theory, each point should be 4%, making 63 252%,
At least that is what you'd think
63 in hex is 99 though
however, you cannot add actual hex values
this has led me to believe drop rates in PC are actually limited to the dec range of hex 00-63
this creates some very obvious problems because you're missing 36 total entries (0A to 0F, 1A to 1F and so on) of percentages for drops.
the available ones are 1-9, 16 - 25, 32 - 41, 48 - 57, 64 - 73, 80 - 89, 96 - 99
Or, if 63 is actually 100% and 01 is actually 2% (for whatever reason this seems possible, considering 63 is max and there has to be a way to guarantee a drop)

This is pure speculation but since the check runs on random0-63, this might very well be a problem.

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2014-07-08 22:56:11 »
in theory, each point should be 4%, making 63 252%,
At least that is what you'd think
63 in hex is 99 though
however, you cannot add actual hex values
this has led me to believe drop rates in PC are actually limited to the dec range of hex 00-63
this creates some very obvious problems because you're missing 36 total entries (0A to 0F, 1A to 1F and so on) of percentages for drops.
the available ones are 1-9, 16 - 25, 32 - 41, 48 - 57, 64 - 73, 80 - 89, 96 - 99
Or, if 63 is actually 100% and 01 is actually 2% (for whatever reason this seems possible, considering 63 is max and there has to be a way to guarantee a drop)

This is pure speculation but since the check runs on random0-63, this might very well be a problem.

That'd require some pretty bonkers programming.  Can you set an enemy to drop multiple items?  If so, it might not be hard to test.  100 samples should give a result that's within 10% of the set percentage.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2014-07-09 00:02:32 »
There might be something in that. I've noticed that both the default game and the Hardcore mod seem to use certain numbers (8, 16, 24, 32 etc.) rather than just any number. And in the HC mod a Zemzellet uses 57 which is an oddly specific number (and they're all usually inside the number ranges you mentioned, Kuugen).

Sword, if you're still playing through the mod could I ask how often you're seeing item drops from regular enemies? I'm going to test some of the drops tonight to see how things are.

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2014-07-09 00:14:12 »
Haven't gotten to it in a while;  I'll pay attention next time I boot it up.

FFman

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2014-07-09 08:22:08 »
I can help too if you want even though it seems I'm not lucky on drops  :)

Pandora's box chocobo is working as intended but when you kill him, he just stands there doing nothing rather than casting Pandora's box I guess.

I beat Godberry but I don't think it was the intended way, I keep on casting Shadow Flare to bypass his high mdef.
I gave him some potions of all sort but didn't get any message telling me it was working.

KOTR boss goes 'Charging Mammom canon : 5' and does nothing. I gave up after 10 minutes of hitting for 120 damage.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-09 11:43:02 by FFman »

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2014-07-09 09:40:33 »
This maybe the dumbest question ever, but:
The "Aerith lives" part is optional, or?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2014-07-09 12:20:41 »
I can help too if you want even though it seems I'm not lucky on drops  :)

Pandora's box chocobo is working as intended but when you kill him, he just stands there doing nothing rather than casting Pandora's box I guess.

I beat Godberry but I don't think it was the intended way, I keep on casting Shadow Flare to bypass his high mdef.
I gave him some potions of all sort but didn't get any message telling me it was working.

KOTR boss goes 'Charging Mammom canon : 5' and does nothing. I gave up after 10 minutes of hitting for 120 damage.

When the Yahcobo dies it's supposed to run off like a regular chocobo; there must be conditions where it won't do this for some reason. Same thing with Binah, there must be a kink in the AI that stops it working properly when you reach the third phase. For Godberry it's a specific item that'll lower his defence, but there's a trick to using that item on him in the first place. Shadow Flare and other defence ignoring attacks are the way around it. I'll try and have those other two fixed up by tonight.

This maybe the dumbest question ever, but:
The "Aerith lives" part is optional, or?

No, but I could make it optional with some work; I'd put a check similar to what the game uses for Yuffie and Vincent. That being said, Aeris' impact on the story is pretty much non-existent; it was done for gameplay reasons more than anything else.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #146 on: 2014-07-09 12:36:49 »
 :D Looks awesome there chief! Not to sound mean here, but you may want to find another way of patching the .lpg archives as it may cause conflicts with some mods.
EDIT: btw just tested it. Loved the 1st (mod) battle with Jessie.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2014-07-09 13:30:27 »
:D Looks awesome there chief! Not to sound mean here, but you may want to find another way of patching the .lpg archives as it may cause conflicts with some mods.
EDIT: btw just tested it. Loved the 1st (mod) battle with Jessie.

No, you're right. I need a better patcher; I'm using a freeware one that's fairly robust but it just overwrites the entire .lgp rather than replacing specific files inside it. I'm going to put a 7H .iro together for it soon that'd only replace files that the mod needs to function but I'd need to package the scene + kernel separately unless there's a way to get it working with the wrapper.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2014-07-09 13:37:28 »
You can also write a script that unpacks the LGP, replaces the files and repacks it (just unpack all the files in a folder, copy all your files in that folder, re-pack whole folder).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2014-07-09 14:08:26 »
You can also write a script that unpacks the LGP, replaces the files and repacks it (just unpack all the files in a folder, copy all your files in that folder, re-pack whole folder).

I'd need to learn a programming language first, unless you're talking about 7H's .xml file. My friend sent me his e-books and notes on programming a few weeks back but I've not gotten round to them yet.