Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Beacause - FF7 Retranslation (Merged into Reunion, use that instead)  (Read 361781 times)

Asa

• சணல் ஒரு பையில்
    • View Profile
I can't speak English, but
オレひとりならともかく このメンツじゃ……
Actually, this phrase is not so important. When Japanese person read this sentence, most of Japanese never think that Brret thinks Aerith is cumbersome. Because another emotion is hiding in last "……". Check Kabuki term 腹芸 (hara-gei) if you don't know it.

Why Barret came here is to rescue Aerith. Barret cried when he has met Marlene at Aerith's house. What did he said when Cloud hesitated to climb the wall. The only one that Barret thinks is how to let Aerith get out from here, He will risks his life to save Aerith because she has saved Marlene. And it is not necessary to tell his determination to Aerith. But Aerith feels it and is also going to risk her life.
「……やっぱり、あなたたちだけ逃げて」
「あの人たちがねらっているのはわたし。あなたたちだけなら……」

Barret's purpose is Aerith, he wants to rescue her without even a scratch.  RedXIII is a new acquaintance, not well known. Furthermore Barret had looked RedXIII's weak side in the captivity room. This difficult situation made him say "このメンツじゃ".

If you want to express Japanese nuance, you must put those feelings into your translation.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Your english is too poor to understand properly.  Send PM to Luksy or Hian in Japanese, they can understand exactly what you are meaning to say :)
« Last Edit: 2012-02-28 17:17:52 by DLPB »

Iecerint

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure I understand him.  I'll elaborate.  It's all based on that last line.

It looks like Asa's emphasizing that the people with Barrett are Aerith and Red XIII.  Barrett only knows Aerith as someone who was captured (one boss fight aside).  He only knows Red XIII, similarly, as someone who had been captured before he helped him escape (i.e. by shooting the container he was in).  Tifa and Cloud, whose skills he trusts, are still elsewhere.

So, Asa interprets mentsu to mean "group" (which, as I've gathered, is in this context really a gaming metaphor being something like English "being dealt this hand"?) and he gives the context for why Barrett would appear to speak disparagingly (but not really) of his companions.  He still sees them as people who require saving/protection/sheltering from Shinra (not that he begrudges them that -- after all, past Barrett quotes have emphasized how much he feels he owes Aerith).

Side-Issue: Was a new version released?  I thought I saw that a new version was coming (005?), but I don't know if it was ever posted.  I get confused because there are something like 3 threads that all feature updates about this umbrella project....
« Last Edit: 2012-02-29 03:25:56 by Iecerint »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Nah it hasn't been released yet all in good time and thanks for clearing that up :)  There are few ways to incorporate the exact feel of that sentence... if any.  Which is why we are left with:

"sh*t!  We're completely surrounded.  If I were on my own this'd be nothin'... but what about the others?..."

Iecerint

• View Profile
Maybe make the last clause (kono mentsu) more reflective of concern than of holding him back, since the intended message (if Asa is correct) is that Aerith and Red XIII are first and foremost people Barrett wants to protect rather than fellow fighters.  The interpretation makes you wonder if the elevator boss was added late in development.

"Sh*t!  We're completely surrounded.  On my own, this'd be nothin'... but these guys...wonder if they'd make it...?"

EDIT: I did a quick search for the Mahjong term.  This is what it appears to mean specifically in that context, which is pretty clearly where the metaphor is drawn from (http://www.osamuko.com/2009/04/03/big-list-of-japanese-mahjong-terminology/):

mentsu -- meld -- [the term used here] "meld" comes from [the Western card game] rummy

A "meld" is when you have, say, 3 5s and may play them to earn points.  I'd never known the formal English term.  So the metaphor may be that the pair [Aerith/Red XIII] share a certain characteristic [needing protection].  It might make the gaming metaphor is little clearer, if it wasn't before.

I don't know if there's a way to work in a gaming metaphor without making the tone seem weird in English (this is probably a pretty casual expression in Japanese, but in English the equivalents will make him sound like Setzer), but it may be worth thinking about.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-29 15:42:06 by Iecerint »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I have had an idea....

Whilst playing FFX earlier I realised it uses normal subtitles.  What is stopping me making FF7 use the same kind of thing.  No boxes.

I think I can do it... and with luksy's help possibly even make part of it automated.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Text legibility could be an issue. Do your glyphs have border lines?

Iecerint

• View Profile
I think having text boxes in different parts of the screen can be helpful when there's no voice-acting.  Similar to why comic books put text in boxes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
It makes no difference really, in FFX a lot of characters have no voice acting, and it works fine.  As for legibility, yeah it works fine too :)

The problem with boxes is they look crap and getting text right in  them manually is  a nightmare.  We will see what happens, I will give it a try.

Yeah perhaps SOMETIMES it would be better to have the box near the person who is talking, but generally they make a movement anyway.  I guess I will just have to test it properly.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-02 17:58:52 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

Erzfreund

• View Profile
It looks surprisingly good and I guess problems with low contrast due to bright backgrounds can be solved.

Iecerint

• View Profile
It might be ideal if there were a widescreen effect so that the subtitles could go within the black bar...it would get around the contrast issue...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
There will not be a widescreen simply because ff7 does not support it and likely never will... but it isnt needed.  Wasnt needed with X either :)

The only bad thing about subtitles is it moves your eyes away from the action on screen.  I may look into it further... may not :P

FlyingToast

but arent the blue dialogue boxes one of the most memorable features of FFVII as a game? D:
but yeah i agree, constantly looking at the bottom is kinda annoying.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-03 02:44:22 by FlyingToast »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I like the subtitles to be honest. Also, I understood Asa.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think I have to ditch the idea simply because it takes eyes from the action.  There is a charm about the boxes... 

Maybe I can come up with some sort of parser than can automatically arrange the text for me... it would be hard for sure...

manually doing these boxes is a killer.

Maybe someone else will use my idea in the future :)

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
Hi DLPB,

which Cloud model are you using in your movie ?
Did i miss something ?

The sound and the subtitles fit well together.  ;)
I get a feeling like watching a heroic movie.
And Cloud with his roman armor completes the cinematic scene.

Super quick test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9j6egqeCQU

I like it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I don't like the cloud model but it is in UMI, i dunno which :)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I like the subtitles to be honest. Also, I understood Asa.

Maybe there should use some color for the names to separate from text. Sub's not my fav for ffvii. I prefer the transparent boxes ;)

P.S.: I want Kula Wende original Cloud like he appears in Technical demo :P :P (who doesn't :D :D )

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Well that is R002 done...  and Menu Overhaul is practically ready for M005 now. So maybe tonight.  Tomorrow latest.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Can't wait to try it!!! What an awesome project!

Iecerint

• View Profile
Maybe the subtitles would be more universally easy-to-read if there were black borders around the letters.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
There are black borders around the letters, but deliberately not harsh ones as they look crap in boxes.  The subtitle idea for me works regardless, just not without audio to go with it.  Either way, subtitles don't work without audio as well as boxes.

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
Hi DLPB,

i am translating the English ff7.exe into German at the moment.
  • touphScript e => 0_ff7.exe.txt  (from the English ff7.exe)

• HEX editor: ff7.exe  (German version)

After this is done i will try to translate the French and Italian versions also.
The problem is, that i cannot read/write/understand French and Italian.
But with the right HEX codes i can do it.   ;)

This is what i found out while translating into German:

Code: [Select]
21 A
22 B
23 C
24 D
25 E
26 F
27 G
28 H
29 I
2A J
2B K
2C L
2D M
2E N
2F O
30 P
31 Q
32 R
33 S
34 T
35 U
36 V
37 W
38 X
39 Y
3A Z

60 Ä
66 Ü
6A ä
7A ö
7F ü
87 ß

01 !
05 %
06 &
07 '
0B +
0C ,
0D -
0E .
0F /
1F ?
3B [
3D ]
A9 …
B2 “
B3 ”

10 0
11 1
12 2
13 3
14 4
15 5
16 6
17 7
18 8
19 9

Do you have a complete list for me ?
(including the special characters for foreign languages)

I searched via Google but i can't find the right ASCII table.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/FF_Text
But a better way would be to simply start using the english exe modified or something, like the spanish 1.03... not sure who'd be up for that challenge.

Another way possibly just using the english game and forgetting the foreign games all together.  Then you could use ts and make it another language easily.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-23 17:09:11 by DLPB »