Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838587 times)

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3025 on: 2016-03-30 01:01:24 »
SegaChief. While playing i found a bug in the sewers! :P

I don't know how or why but I cannot access "Rank Up" and "Check Stats"...tried everything? Is that normal?

https://i.gyazo.com/f6d98341d756071b8a426957fb19b07e.png

thanks in advance

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: 2016-03-30 01:06:45 »
Rank Up isn't supposed to be accessible until you reach the Mythril Mines; if you have the patch applied then I guess this down to me not changing the text on this save point to the greyed out ???? like the other Midgar save points have. If you were able to access rank up through midgar save points, though, then make sure the latest flevel hotfix patch (and scene hotfix) are applied).

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: 2016-03-30 01:58:27 »
I was not able to. It was the only save point where it was "visible". All others are greyed out. I couldn't even access it. So it's all fine. Just visual ;)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: 2016-03-30 02:31:35 »
I was not able to. It was the only save point where it was "visible". All others are greyed out. I couldn't even access it. So it's all fine. Just visual ;)

No worries, then.

\\NT News//

So now that we've got the first round of patching out of the way, it's time to get some things done. I'll be working through the following in (roughly) this order over the next couple of weeks.

-) Dark Cave sidequest
I need to restructure this and get it available again. It was slapped together originally but the revised one will be a bit more cohesive. I've already started on this one and everything's already there, so won't take too long. This is a Disc 3 piece of content so it's unmissable; don't worry about finishing a playthrough before it's available.

-) Custom .EXE Patch + Arrange Mode
I'll be looking to release these together as people have tended to use both in the past. The .EXE will change Materia Equip bonuses/penalties and Limit Breaks as before, but this time to better suit 1.4 and avoid making the mistakes of older .EXE patches (bad limit damage, stats dropping to 0, etc.) As for Arrange Mode, I'm dropping the idea of it being 'alternate' and just making it a hard mode; it'll buff enemies and do absolutely nothing else out of the ordinary at all.

-) Optional Aeris
It'll be relatively easy to do by swapping some scripts about with Yuffie to put that now defunct 'if X exists' to good use without having to adjust the entire thing. I didn't think I'd be listing 'dead Aeris' as a feature but here we are.

seijuro

• View Profile
    • Top-notch Сasual Dating - Verified Females
« Reply #3029 on: 2016-03-30 03:27:09 »
I couldn't replicate the problem; I'd suspect a 7H clash if you're using that, something to do with game audio. Some processes use the audio to complete certain events (chocobo dance at the ranch, for instance) and interfering with them can cause problems. Do you have any audio mods installed?

You're absolutely right. I have custom .ogg's in the /music folder but the custom sleep song (yado.ogg) was the culprit. I replaced it with the Original 'yado.ogg' OST version and wa-la! No more freeze when going to sleep!

You may have ran into this already but there was one more tiny bug I found (not so much a bug, I guess). When talking to certain people, the dialogue box takes a while for it to pop up. Example: the NPC in the blue shirt and purple pants in the Tailor shop at Wall Market. Whenever I initiate a convo with him it takes about 20-30 seconds for the dialogue box to appear...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: 2016-03-30 03:37:14 »
Not a huge thing SC, but during the battle on the bridge with the Plasma-robot boss (sorry, the name escapes me--its the one where your party surrounds it though) the bosses graphics are goofed up.

The backside (ie its weakpoint) was actually the front and vice versa.  I don't know why it's displaying like this, but it led to a very glitchy-looking fight.  Everything functioned the way it was supposed to other than which way the boss was facing when it was not in action.  Everything else ahs looked goo so far once I figured out how to get my controller setup correctly!

Not sure how worth your time it is, but it's there!

One other question too--as far as leveling and SP gains, is overleveling in Midgar going to massively impact my SP after leaving?  I only ask because I played like I normally do an fought all the random battles I encountered, which eventually led to me passing the first stopgap of level gains by Wall market (level 12, after which my exp required returned to roughly the level I'd expect).  I'm generally keeping off random battles now, but will this be an issue for me?

penetrice

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: 2016-03-30 04:02:10 »
Hey there!  Not really sure why but I keep freezing at the bomb king.  Four attempts and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why he's freezing the battle, but it won't continue.  The actual game doesn't freeze though, the atb just stops.  I can still try and run away and it says that i cant flee.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, and otherwise awesome mod!

Chronoseth

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: 2016-03-30 09:01:43 »
This is a weird one: moving across the tracks on Mt. Corel, I ended up fighting a bomb which I managed to morph into a fire ring. When I got to the bridge just outside the town, though, the bombs there gave the usual fire fangs as their morph. I tried going back to the tracks to morph another bomb to make sure I'm not crazy, but I can't seem to get that battle now. ???

Someone else mentioned this a while ago, but is the Striking Staff supposed to cause Barrier on hit? It did that in 1.35 as well, but it's counterintuitive for a weapon with very high attack and a name which implies it's for hitting things to give enemies a buff which halves the damage.

Regarding balance, magic feels ridiculously strong compared to physical attacks in the early parts of the game (I've just now gotten to North Corel, so I can't judge late-game magic yet). Keeping MP topped off is a non-issue with a few Heal materia and tents, and magic has huge advantages from the many All materia you can find and sitting in the back row. It doesn't help that all of Cloud's early weapons have mediocre attack. Tifa and Red XIII can be made into very strong physical hitters with the right equipment, but that still doesn't beat the AoE nukes and adaptability that magic gives you.

Unrelatedly, Kalm Fangs are assholes. Getting back attacked by them immediately after leaving Midgar is a great way to suddenly game over and lose progress. >:( Levrikons are similarly much more dangerous than every other enemy in the area.

And about a certain angry Cokatolis...
Spoiler: show
The Mamatolis really ought to be immune to sleep. Using the spell makes the battle very long, boring, and more or less impossible to lose.

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: 2016-03-30 09:07:46 »

Someone else mentioned this a while ago, but is the Striking Staff supposed to cause Barrier on hit? It did that in 1.35 as well, but it's counterintuitive for a weapon with very high attack and a name which implies it's for hitting things to give enemies a buff which halves the damage.

It should be the Prism staff. I'll check it as soon as I can. The VIT Staff (Prism) should cause barrier (but doesn't seem to be 100% on each hit) while the SPR Staff (Aurora rod) should cause MBarrier (was 100% when I used it, not sure if I was lucky). So I guess if the Striking staff is causing barrier, it's not intended, but let's wait SC before concluding :)

Edit: Yup, Prism = barrier, Aurora = MBarrier.

Also, I got a question regarding Jenova at the end of Disc 1 (possible bug) :
When Jenova use her undead skill (Ishtar curse) at the very beginning of the fight, it seems to only affect Cloud since I still can heal Yuffie / Cid. When she uses it again, it affects all characters. Is that intended ? Because the skill visual effect seems to hit whole party.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-30 09:22:13 by aquecoucou »

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: 2016-03-30 10:19:24 »
How does aerith behave after the revival? Is she a silent npc all the way or had some scripts added in the scenes where other chars comment something or dialog?

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: 2016-03-30 10:48:07 »
How does aerith behave after the revival? Is she a silent npc all the way or had some scripts added in the scenes where other chars comment something or dialog?
She already had dialogues in Vanilla because she was supposed to die later.

Found another bug, it concerns the Gaea dragon (encountered in Gaea's cliff, at the last save point before the dragon boss fight (schizo in vanilla).
The gaea dragon will soft lock when trying to use a specific skill, but I don't know which one. Similar to the previous captain fight when poisonned, camera centers on a character, ATB goes to wait mode and nothing happens. (Gaea dragon doesn't need to be poisoned to happen)

Reproduction steps :
- No idea at all xD.
It happened twice. First fight it happened after 3 turns, even before the first use of dragon force. Camera locked Cid.
Second fight, it happened when fight was almost done, camera locked whole team.

Also, I'd like to mention that the fight is really hard since Gaea Dragon has some weird ATB spamming a Gale each turn + sometimes doing a random attack or a dragon force. Even if you slow it and haste your party, its ATB keeps up with yours. When you can't cure anymore whole party with the "all" materia, it's pretty much an insta death. I think Gaea Dragon has either too much hp either too much damage. I may not have found the proper trick tho. Also is the Gale skill an elemental one ?
« Last Edit: 2016-03-30 10:52:51 by aquecoucou »

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: 2016-03-30 10:55:09 »
shit. you can probably reflect him to learn dragon force cant ya

why did i not think of that sooner

aquecoucou

• View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: 2016-03-30 10:59:42 »
strawberries. you can probably reflect him to learn dragon force cant ya

I'm pretty sure that enemies skill can't be reflected in vanilla. I'll give it a try.

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: 2016-03-30 11:05:54 »
i've all reflected my party to triple cast beta plenty enough times to say that, yes, enemy skill is reflectable now

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: 2016-03-30 11:21:30 »
You're absolutely right. I have custom .ogg's in the /music folder but the custom sleep song (yado.ogg) was the culprit. I replaced it with the Original 'yado.ogg' OST version and wa-la! No more freeze when going to sleep!

You may have ran into this already but there was one more tiny bug I found (not so much a bug, I guess). When talking to certain people, the dialogue box takes a while for it to pop up. Example: the NPC in the blue shirt and purple pants in the Tailor shop at Wall Market. Whenever I initiate a convo with him it takes about 20-30 seconds for the dialogue box to appear...

Glad to hear that's fixed, but the conversation pause is a new one; not heard of that before. I'll investigate it.

Not a huge thing SC, but during the battle on the bridge with the Plasma-robot boss (sorry, the name escapes me--its the one where your party surrounds it though) the bosses graphics are goofed up.

The backside (ie its weakpoint) was actually the front and vice versa.  I don't know why it's displaying like this, but it led to a very glitchy-looking fight.  Everything functioned the way it was supposed to other than which way the boss was facing when it was not in action.  Everything else ahs looked goo so far once I figured out how to get my controller setup correctly!

Not sure how worth your time it is, but it's there!

One other question too--as far as leveling and SP gains, is overleveling in Midgar going to massively impact my SP after leaving?  I only ask because I played like I normally do an fought all the random battles I encountered, which eventually led to me passing the first stopgap of level gains by Wall market (level 12, after which my exp required returned to roughly the level I'd expect).  I'm generally keeping off random battles now, but will this be an issue for me?

That's a problem with that model in general which was there in the default game; Air Buster's facing won't always match up with where he's visually facing; his 'true' facing will be whoever attacked him last (or if he attacks someone). I tried a couple of times to fix it with AI, but I never got anywhere.

Leveling won't be much of an issue; bosses all give out a set amount of SP and you get some from certain story events as well.

Hey there!  Not really sure why but I keep freezing at the bomb king.  Four attempts and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why he's freezing the battle, but it won't continue.  The actual game doesn't freeze though, the atb just stops.  I can still try and run away and it says that i cant flee.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, and otherwise awesome mod!

Sounds like a soft-lock, I'll check his attack animations and make a scene patch.

This is a weird one: moving across the tracks on Mt. Corel, I ended up fighting a bomb which I managed to morph into a fire ring. When I got to the bridge just outside the town, though, the bombs there gave the usual fire fangs as their morph. I tried going back to the tracks to morph another bomb to make sure I'm not crazy, but I can't seem to get that battle now. ???

Regarding balance, magic feels ridiculously strong compared to physical attacks in the early parts of the game (I've just now gotten to North Corel, so I can't judge late-game magic yet). Keeping MP topped off is a non-issue with a few Heal materia and tents, and magic has huge advantages from the many All materia you can find and sitting in the back row. It doesn't help that all of Cloud's early weapons have mediocre attack. Tifa and Red XIII can be made into very strong physical hitters with the right equipment, but that still doesn't beat the AoE nukes and adaptability that magic gives you.

Unrelatedly, Kalm Fangs are apricotholes. Getting back attacked by them immediately after leaving Midgar is a great way to suddenly game over and lose progress. >:( Levrikons are similarly much more dangerous than every other enemy in the area.

And about a certain angry Cokatolis...
The Mamatolis really ought to be immune to sleep. Using the spell makes the battle very long, boring, and more or less impossible to lose.

There are two entries for the Bomb enemy and I only remember editing one of them. I'll correct that for the patch to fix Bomb King; same thing with the Striking Staff.

The physical attack side of things starts to pick up once Deathblow comes in, and it can be combined with the Command Counter sitting on Mt. Corel's train tracks; you can also give it a push with Elemental and Added Effect for 2x physical damage and some statuses like Stop that wouldn't normally be accessible at that time. As for front row vs back row, you'll see a lot more Limits by being in the front which can get fights done and dusted a lot faster.

Back Attacks are a pain, but this links into Front Row vs Back Row again; another benefit of having a front row fighter is that they'll start back attacks in the back-row and be a bit safer from that initial 2x hit that the enemies will get using their physical attacks. There's a lot fewer pincer fights in NT, but some still exist so keep a Smoke Bomb handy as a panic button.

It should be the Prism staff. I'll check it as soon as I can. The VIT Staff (Prism) should cause barrier (but doesn't seem to be 100% on each hit) while the SPR Staff (Aurora rod) should cause MBarrier (was 100% when I used it, not sure if I was lucky). So I guess if the Striking staff is causing barrier, it's not intended, but let's wait SC before concluding :)

Edit: Yup, Prism = barrier, Aurora = MBarrier.

Also, I got a question regarding Jenova at the end of Disc 1 (possible bug) :
When Jenova use her undead skill (Ishtar curse) at the very beginning of the fight, it seems to only affect Cloud since I still can heal Yuffie / Cid. When she uses it again, it affects all characters. Is that intended ? Because the skill visual effect seems to hit whole party.

It's only supposed to be single-target now, affecting one party member and then being used again if that party member dies. If it afflicted both surviving party members on the second use, then that's not intended. As for the visual effect, I'll change it so that it appears single-target.

She's got the full set of scripts that the other party members have, so she'll comment on things during events like they do.

She already had dialogues in Vanilla because she was supposed to die later.

Found another bug, it concerns the Gaea dragon (encountered in Gaea's cliff, at the last save point before the dragon boss fight (schizo in vanilla).
The gaea dragon will soft lock when trying to use a specific skill, but I don't know which one. Similar to the previous captain fight when poisonned, camera centers on a character, ATB goes to wait mode and nothing happens. (Gaea dragon doesn't need to be poisoned to happen)

Reproduction steps :
- No idea at all xD.
It happened twice. First fight it happened after 3 turns, even before the first use of dragon force. Camera locked Cid.
Second fight, it happened when fight was almost done, camera locked whole team.

Also, I'd like to mention that the fight is really hard since Gaea Dragon has some weird ATB spamming a Gale each turn + sometimes doing a random attack or a dragon force. Even if you slow it and haste your party, its ATB keeps up with yours. When you can't cure anymore whole party with the "all" materia, it's pretty much an insta death. I think Gaea Dragon has either too much hp either too much damage. I may not have found the proper trick tho. Also is the Gale skill an elemental one ?

Gale is an elemental skill, Wind-element probably. I'll get that softlock fixed and look into rebalancing him a little bit. Note that all dragons will use Dragon Force as a counter against Limit Breaks specifically, so to avoid seeing that you want to avoid hitting him with Limits; if you have physical attackers along, have them use alternatives like Added Cut or Deathblow to keep attacking. Otherwise, dose him up with Resist so that he doesn't get the Regen from Dragon Force or alternatively have a Dispel queued to minimise it's impact.

strawberries. you can probably reflect him to learn dragon force cant ya

Dragon Force isn't reflectable anymore; you learn it by beating up a special enemy in Kalm. Other enemy skills can be though, like Pandora's Box.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: 2016-03-30 11:53:41 »
Here's the patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zx8dzmrurnwtcv9/NT_Mod_HotFix_Scene_-_30th_March_2016.zip

Edit: Also, thanks to 'AH' for the donation :3
« Last Edit: 2016-03-30 12:02:04 by Sega Chief »

FifulX

• View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: 2016-03-30 12:15:48 »
Hey SC, I would like to say the mod is really well done thus far. A couple of issues I have encountered that I'm not sure if you know of:
In Corel, when talking to the old man in the first screen with Barret, Yuffie and Cloud, Cloud would just walk into Barret resulting in a soft lock.
The fight with the captain in front of shinra mansion pits you vs the debug claw.

I also have a few questions. How does the undead status effect work and how do you prevent it? For the fight where you get alexander, is there a way to stop the charm that she throws at the start?

Thanks in advance for your answers and I'd like to see more fixes to this already awesome mod.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: 2016-03-30 13:40:30 »
Hey SC, I would like to say the mod is really well done thus far. A couple of issues I have encountered that I'm not sure if you know of:
In Corel, when talking to the old man in the first screen with Barret, Yuffie and Cloud, Cloud would just walk into Barret resulting in a soft lock.
The fight with the captain in front of shinra mansion pits you vs the debug claw.

I also have a few questions. How does the undead status effect work and how do you prevent it? For the fight where you get alexander, is there a way to stop the charm that she throws at the start?

Thanks in advance for your answers and I'd like to see more fixes to this already awesome mod.

Must be a positioning thing; I think you can talk to the old man from different angles which could potentially throw it off. I'll see if I can put a counter-measure in there somewhere. For the debug claw, that's been fixed in the flevel patch; make sure to download and install both that and the scene hotfix patch (same install procedure as the main installer, unless you're on 7H).

Undead isn't so much a status as it is a flag; it sets a character to absorb/nullify the Restorative element which prevents healing. There's no way to dispel it, but you can still heal with other elements. If you go into the battle absorbing Ice, you can use Ice magic to heal the afflicted party member. I think Elixirs still work too, in a pinch.

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: 2016-03-30 15:30:27 »
elixirs instakill the character

i used a megalixir cuz shit was goin wrong and ended up makin it going wrongerer

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: 2016-03-30 16:32:30 »
Hey there.
Is the last version (30) already safe to play? No major bugs?

FifulX

• View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: 2016-03-30 16:42:48 »
I downloaded today's patch and whilst fighting the dragon in gaea's cliff, I got a freeze and an exception error for ff7, which crashed it. This happened when I got it quite low and during Cid's "Hyper Jump" limit break. Was today's patch not a fix to this soft lock?
EDIT: It happened again, this time at the start of the fight when I used Hyper Jump.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-30 16:53:38 by FifulX »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: 2016-03-30 16:50:41 »
I downloaded today's patch and whilst fighting the dragon in gaea's cliff, I got a freeze and an exception error for ff7, which crashed it. This happened when I got it quite low and during Cid's limit break. Was today's patch not a fix to this soft lock?

Oh, was the Limit Break Hyper Jump by any chance? FF7 PC (although it's Aali's driver I think) has a problem with it where it'll randomly crash when it's used. This carried over to the Steam version as well, which suggests they're using something based on that driver. There's no known fix, unfortunately.

Hey there.
Is the last version (30) already safe to play? No major bugs?

Seems to be; all bugs reported so far were fixed and Mithrain reached the North Crater.

FifulX

• View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: 2016-03-30 16:54:53 »
Ah, so it's just with Hyper Jump? Thanks for the fast response. I guess I'll just not use it and it should be fine ;)

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: 2016-03-30 17:53:10 »
Nice. Going to try it then. Is there any missable aditional content? Or time sensitive quests?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: 2016-03-30 17:58:44 »
Nothing missable, but some things have steps that are undertaken early. After getting the Bronco, try going back to Cid's House with him in the party and talking to the kid there. 3 fights are available through that which unlock after certain points in the story (last one being Disc 3 for the Lv.4 Limit).