Author Topic: FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project  (Read 53211 times)

Salk

• View Profile
FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project
« Reply #25 on: 2005-07-22 07:17:52 »
Hello and thanks for sharing your project with us all.

I think your original idea of rebalancing the game is *EXTREMELY* interesting and I had hoped someone could come up with it.

I do appreaciate your job but please consider something that for me is mandatory: the general difficulty level of the game might be well enhanced by your modifications BUT...but I do believe that there is a Boss in the game that is *totally* overpowered, spoiling the game. At least it partly spoiled the game ( for me still the best of the series) for me.

I am speaking about Emerald Weapon. To kill this boss it's almost needed to not only have a certain summoning materia but also to mime it continuously being also protected by "Life3". Not to mention that the whole fighting becomes very very frustrating and repetitive. The player finds himself being killed after spending 20 minutes in the fight just to start it over again for the 35th time. Yes, there is no need to defeat such a boss in order to finish the game but still why make it so frustrating ?

This challenge makes all the rest in the game pale at comparison. Square made this error, according to me, of making this "bonus boss" unbalanced. Should you want to defeat her, must you go with an extremely strong party. And if you go with an extremely strong party, then all the rest of the game will be too easy.

I assume that people try and fight Emerald when they have the opportunity and not just before the final challenge against Sephiroth. Also, people would like to be rewarded for defeating these "bonus bosses" in the middle of the game and not by the end.

So please consider the possibility of making Emerald *less* strong than she is by dafault. I'd think the whole gameplay would benefit of this.

A second issue which is also very frustrating (and it's a classic in the FF series) is the STEAL option. It's way way way too frustrating to keep on trying stealing from bosses for 100 times before you can actually make it! I do believe that the success rate of stealing should be pretty much raised in order to make it enjoyable. I had found myself (not only in FF7) spending one or two hour with a boss untill I could finally get an item out of him...This is crazy...I don't know if that is something that can be modified but it's somethig I would definitely do...

Thanks!

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #26 on: 2005-07-22 12:46:05 »
Is there any way to compile a program to auto-unpack flevel, install the "new" files and repack it, sort as a patch installer?

FYI there are also tools on web so-called Patch makers ... you insert the original and modified file, and it will produce the difference file, and output is usually in form of .exe. This could be usable for you.

Minor disadvantage is that the patch will work only if it is applied on the original file of same version that you have.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005-07-22 13:05:59 »
...And flevel.lgp file is 127 MB file, most patch maker's screw when you load file so big in them.

Elentor - Yes, it is possible. And since I have some time lately, I can write an installer that will patch end user LGP with files that you specify. If you want me to do this, of course.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005-07-22 13:56:19 »
M4V3R: I'm currently more interested on this. if you have time do them, you would be *again* my hero :D

Item/Weapon Editor
Materia/Magic Status Editor

These are on the kernel, I think. If you can make these, then I would be closer to fulfilling my job of the Hardcore version.

smithie: I disagree with your opinion of Midgar Zoloom. I *always* kill it before going to Junon so I can have Beta. The experience she gives (250) is a clearly example she was meant to be killed by the time you reach her.
At first I thought of making her hard as a weapon, but then I simply decided to make her harder. Please, download my patch and you will see what I mean. I made her harder with the sole purpose of avoiding players getting Beta early in the game, which is a ridiculously overpowered spell that makes the whole first cd easier than it currently is.
About shader effects, I'm asking just for curiosity. I know FF doesn't support it.

Salk: I agree with the difference between the weapons level and the game overall difficulty, but I do not have any plan of making them easier, only more balanced with the whole game.
Killing the Weapons as they are is a joke. Long ago, I had the idea of writting an "advanced materia combos" faq to put on gamefaq. I managed to finish it, but I never really posted because I think it didn't have much purpose, since the game was already easy.
Between the combos there was one who could 4.000.000 damage in one single turn on Emerald Weapon with the due preparations, combos that made you *invincible* for good, combos that made you take almost no damage from anything in the game and combos that allow you to deal 300.000 damage in one turn without any use of spells. You can even kill Emerald Weapon with Fire 2 or 3 (can't remember now), in one turn. Most of the combos ended before it deal the total possible damage or Emerald being able to deal the second strike.

IMO, besides the obvious damage unbalance on Knights of the Round (which, if I get the means of editing the spells, I will reduce of course), the only real big problem in the game is called MIME.

Anyway, while I intend to balance aspects that Square messed up,  this is not a "balance mode game", but a hardcore mode game. I agree there are many problems with the game I'm going to fix, but not reduce the challenge of Emerald Weapon. Even most because I am going to nerf some materias (and enhance others) since they can make you deal more damage in one turn than the FF10 characters can do against their respective foes (the Dark Aeons), and mind that the scale of damage of FF10 is much bigger (bosses with 10.000.000+ HP... maximum damage of 99.999 etc). I think that the FF7 characters, the way they are now, can "pwn" any Dark Aeon on FF10 without any problem, with the respective damage scale.

The problem I will try to fix is not making the whole rest of the game easy when you're able to kick the Weapon's ass, though I think this can be difficult.

Cheers

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005-07-22 14:46:50 »
Elentor,

thanks for your thorough reply and good luck with your great project!  :wink:

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005-07-23 14:30:09 »
doh.. just closed the web page by accident and lost my post.

Have the stealable items withing the Shinra HQ been replaced by just potions or is the mod stuffing up on my computer??

as for shaders the DX9SDK tutorials & samples would be your best place to get info on them, i have no experience with them as im not up to writing in lighting for my game engine.... well actually i was coming up to them a long while ago but lost about 2 months work due to a hard drive crash ( serves me right for not backing up ). I stopped coding for up till now because of that and have just restarted from scratch.

if your playing around with HLSL ( which are new and just implemented with DX9 ) then go over to nvidia.com and check out there CGFX editor.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005-07-23 16:05:51 »
I just finished Midgar.  As for my feedback Reno was really really hard.  He was most definately the hardest boss to date in the game.  Not impossible though so it's all good.

As for the Shinra HQ, the enemies inside weren't as hard as the one climbing the sector 7 tower if you ask me.  The specimen room boss was pretty hard too, as was Rufus since you're all alone.  The elevator boss with your alternate party howerver (Aeris, Barret and Red) was really easy, just longer than usual.  I'd sugget making it harder.

As for the highway boss, he was just right.

Those ar my two cents so far.

More to come as I go along.

PS: You most likely already know this but the potion bug is probably linked to M4v3er's tool since the enemies you manually hexidted (aka Guard Scorpion) left their original items (aka Gatling Gun).

Lookin forward to what's comin' next!

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005-07-23 18:15:48 »
smithie: These items can no longer be stolen because of M4V3R's tool bug, as Marcis said. I'm waiting for an update but, until then, you will have to enjoy the potions ;)
I was asking just because I like chatting about it with people. I actually work with these shaders and even write some for OpenGL, so it is nice to chat about it.

Marcis: Thanks for your feedback! I died the first time I fought Reno, because of the pyramids. I will try making the elevator boss harder, btw.

You can already download the last version, which changes up the Jenova, but I myself am on the process of balancing this area as I play, because it is kinda complicated.

Cheers

Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005-07-23 19:01:39 »
Man I used the cheat edit for final fantasy VII, and I still can't even beat any of the weapons and I have all the best summons.... I don't get it? I didn't apply this patch to it, but it just gets me upset. Any advice? I'm even at level 99 and still can't handle them. hp is 9999

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005-07-23 20:10:57 »
Soldier: To sum a very simple and famous way to obliterate Emerald Weapon: Get W-Item, two Hero Drinks, have Barret with everything in 255 and his weapon Missing Score and the Wizard's Bracelet (I think this is the name). Have his limit set on level 3.
Join battle with one of your members dead. Barret should have 8 counter + mime mastered materias equipped.
Now, give him two Hero Drinks, and unleash Ungarmax on Emerald Weapon. Do nothing else. Once he attacks Barret, he will counter 8 times with Ungarmax, causing far more damage than Emerald Weapon can handle...
You don't even need Underwater Materia, just Counter Mimes.

So, you just beated him in one turn. Do it still seems to be hard?

Edit: Just updated the Patch. Take a look at the first page to see the changes.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005-07-23 23:38:45 »
Elentor: yeah, but without cheating, how easy is it to get all those counter + Mimes?, and getting all of barret's stats to 255?  Yeah, just fight for hours and hours and hours, but that's asinine and boring.

You shouldn't base an enemy's weakness relative to people being able to cheat.  And if someone WANTS to spend a year mastering all that materia, then ALLOW them to kick emerald's ass without you saying "oh that's too easy!"

And so, okay, without looking at what ONE OR TWO PEOPLE managed to figure out, please explain how else the weapon's are easy?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 2005-07-24 01:00:12 »
You don't have to go so extreme to beat the Weapons at all ... just if you want to beat them in one easy step. It's quite possible to beat them without referring to playthrough guides and collecting insane numbers of items.

You don't even necessarily need Knights of the Round to beat Emerald Weapon. The easiest way for somebody who's playing through normally is to use Yuffie+Conformer - the Conformer increases in power as the enemy does (more or less), so it's one of the physical weapons that can still do a reasonable amount of damage against Emerald. Give her 4x cut and a couple of boosts, like Hero Drinks, and it's not too hard to get her doing nearly 9999x4 damage on each action.

Emerald's still not a knockover, but once you're taking large chunks of HP off each round through attacks alone (not going to run out of MP there!), you're well on the way to defeating it. Throw in a Phoenix Summon or two and you should be able to win without having to try too many times. That's how I defeated it, anyway ... took me a few tries, but it wasn't too insane.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005-07-24 13:46:08 »
Marcis: I have a request.. could you please send me a save of yours after you get past Shinra Boat, on Costa del Sol?
I managed to (yea, shame on me) overwrite my file. It was the stupidest thing ever, I know.

Emperor:
Since ficedula covered about the "non-extreme" ways of defeating the Weapons, I will talk about my style, which is different than his, so Emperor, you can compare two different points of view defending the same idea.

Well, the ease of something is relative, imo. If you have no patience to level up et cetera, then an "optional  hard boss" really is not supposed to be easy.

When I'm saying these things, I'm not basing on what *others* do. That would be too hypocrite. When I said I  was going to make the "hardcore" mode, I wrote a big text explaining why, in *my* opinion, FF7 is cheap, and  why do I think it is, and even explained recently that my intention is not making what I believe should be the  game released, but instead what I think it should be the "hard" mode.Back then, before I even getting the FF7  for PC, I used to level up the materias, and never runned out of patience doing so. I was one of the people who  spent a long time mastering the materias I wanted to master. I'm aware not everyone do it, not everyone has the  time, patience or want to do so. Well, I know even people who haven't managed to beat Safer Sephiroth.

This concept doesn't work when you are a player of my style because they are, supposing, the hardest bosses.  They shouldn't be "easy" in any way, because when the game was released, Square didn't think about some  overpowered ways to exploit the game. I level up a lot, pick up everything in the way, in the most  perfeccionist way possible. To me, and the other players who play this way too, FF7 is easy.

See, for example, FF10. There are bosses that are hard, there are bosses that are very hard, and there are the  bosses that require you to have almost everything maxed up, with the ultimate weapons, which aren't very simple  to get. And even though I "leveled" up a lot on FF10 because I enjoyed to do so, there were still battles hard  as hell, which I noticed that high level wouldn't win them - but strategy. And then I had to think on methods  of killing the bosses, even though I wasn't rushing into them. I am still owned by Penance from time to time, regardless the fact that my saved game has 150 hours. See? they follow the same concept (ultra-hard optional bosses) but while the Weapons are exploitable, the only cheap way I know to beat the Dark Aeons and Penance is summoning Yojimbo (an one-hit kill to *anything* like Odin.. except it works for bosses), which takes away the whole point of killing them.

Besides that, they are bosses supposed to be fought by the player who has got everything in the game, maxed everything and after killing the last boss with one single hit (no 4xcut or anything, the last bosses can be killed by one single attack hit if you have Str maxed), they want something challenging, so the whole "if the player wants to spend a year leveling, let it be easy" doesn't work here. As you can see, there is a big difference between the Weapons and them, because nobody thought on these combos, probably, when they were created. They weren't supposed to fight the ultra-mega-overleveled player, they were just optional harder bosses.

But now we're on 2005, many years later. There are dozens of faqs teaching how to beat the Weapons. Dozens of different techniques. While in theory they may be "hard", for anyone with patience/knowledge of the game mechanics they aren't... and it makes more sense if an enemy has to be beaten by skill (FF10, just one more time, but there are others) not patience.

Back then, >> my << strategy was a simple 4xCut and counters, which was the first combo I thought (without using KOTR because I didn't like KOTR) and discussed possible with some friends. I gave it a try and, after many time leveling up materias, it worked... and I got all amazed. Too much free time, perhaps? Hehehe, after that, I enjoyed making different combos to see how they did behave. It wasn't quick, but it was easy. Just easy. Slow, sure, but easy.

My point was never saying that they were quick to be defeated, but easy. *Almost* every player of FF7 knows by now how to beat them, and even if they don't, they can just check gamefaqs and discover thousand methods of how. And the way to acquire these methods is easy. There is nothing hard on leveling up... unless you have no patience. Then, I guess that the real challenge would be fighting against your patience instead of the final fight against the Weapons :D

Cheers

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005-07-24 14:46:13 »
I'm not there yet.

I'm just before Cloud's flashback.

It'll take me a few days to get through it.  I can send you my latest save right now if you wanna go through it yourself though.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005-07-24 15:35:32 »
I would like it. Can you send me please?

Thanks

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005-07-25 00:09:36 »
Just sent it.  Have fun.

edit : huh there seems to be a somewhat big problem.  The latest version seems to be only 4k when I download it.  It most obviously, crashes he game.

edit2: while I'm at it I was thinking something.  When I fought Aps, he damaged himsel much more than I ever did.  Since M4v3er's tool can easily edit elementals wouldn't it be nice to lower his actual HP a whole lot but make him immune to water attacks (hence his own) ?  Another way to go at it would be give him a ridiculously low amount of HP but make him absorb his water damage to see if the party can inflict enough damage in one turn before he could fully heal himself.  The side the wave is coming from could become an issue with this one however.  Just a thought.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005-07-25 01:27:32 »
Let's see here
FF7's really easy to keep your chars going? Know why?

Bolt Armlet with Elemental + any Thunder element materia.

Voila. Just attack yourself. Instant heal. It keeps going and going and going...

Oh yeah, and the Reflect Ring. Really beats up on bosses, too. Then there's the any summon 8 times trick...

Really the Materia System is EXTREMELY versatile and uber twinktastic. That's why they dealt away with it, even though it was so much damn fun...

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005-07-25 03:34:23 »
Quote from: Elentor
...I died the first time I fought Reno, because of the pyramids.
Cheers

elentor: lol happened to me too.. i thought the pyramids faded away over time  :( .

btw i managed to beat midgar zolem(snake thingy) like you said at level 20 by using elemental + Fire level 2 this way you recieve only 500 damage from his nuke.

have you had much experience with open gl? i tried using it to modify quake II.net once but got pissed off at all the naming convention's and underscores. also have you checked out the HLSL (high level shader language) ive only had a brief look at it but by the looks of it it allows the animators + moderlers to make there own shader effects for individual models which is pretty cool (i may be mistaken tho).

also thanks for clearing that up about the potions i was going insane from stealing a hundred times just to get a potion.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005-07-25 15:13:18 »
KojiroTakenashi: And that gets even more ridiculous once you get Slash-All. Just attack yourself and it's like having an Aeris limit. For free.

smithie: You mean, you managed to defeat *my* Midgar Zoloom at level 20? Try downloading the updated patch and doing it again... this kinda scared me. I have some experience with OpenGL, but keep in mind I'm not a programmer.

Marcis: Try downloading it again... I have no idea why it didn't uploaded properly.

The problem with Sewer Tsunami is that it is a Physical Attack, and I do not have the means to change it for now. Of course, if I knew how, I would make it a water attack and give him water immunity.

Again.. just check the bosses...  the first attacks once per 4 turns and give you 3 turns to heal yourself... the second takes 5 times damage from behind, is slow as hell and is always with it's back turned to someone... a boss that damages himself more than you is not something very scary, right? :D

The "absorbing damage" would be an extra-cool idea to make him really challenging. If I ever manage to change the attributes of the attacks, I will be sure to do that.

Cheers

EDIT: Please ignore my stupidity. I just noticed that, even while the attack is physical, it possess the Water Element.
In other words, I'm gonna do it as I said on the next patch

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005-07-26 08:51:28 »
I just tried him again with the newest file.. this time i lost because i ran out of ethers and couldnt heal my character  :(  .

i tried to do it with lv23 cloud, yuffie + redXII

Basically you have redXII in the back row with long range materia + elemental fire defense. in the back row he only recieves about 300 damage from physical attacks and 700 from beta. red has about 1000 health so he can survive fairly easy, also you give him enemy skill so he can learn beta himself.  once the other characters die i just leave them dead because they die too easy against him. In battle red needs to be able cast fury once before the other characters die out otherwise he cannot attack and heal himself quick enough.

Also im not sure about this but i think you can cast beta as soon as hes has learnt it. it dishes out 1400 damage to him and finishes him off fairly quick. Another thing to make it easyier is to slow the speed down with wait off so your characters bar moves along during animations and can get more attacks in against him.

the first time i did i did it with cloud as my main character in the back row in stead of red but you still need red to cast fury and cloud has less health. clouds 2nd level 2 limit break climhazard does roughly 1000 damage sometimes i think, which is cool.

well there you go. its a fairly hard boss so it might take a few tries.

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005-07-26 08:56:31 »
Quote from: Elentor
I have some experience with OpenGL, but keep in mind I'm not a programmer.

programmer or not some experience with OpenGL is still more then what ive got with it. :D .

Yazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005-07-26 09:03:42 »
Quote from: smithie

i tried to do it with lv23 cloud, selphie + redXII

Selphie?

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005-07-26 09:54:26 »

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005-07-26 10:03:40 »
Ahh.. opps my bad. I edited the post to fix it..

Ive got no idea why i called her that i just tend to always do. When it comes to remembering peoples names im hopeless.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #49 on: 2005-07-26 10:31:57 »
Clearly you are capable of editing your earlier post, so I assume your double-post was entirely intentional then. Don't double-post.