Author Topic: [Release] Scene Redux v1.31  (Read 11414 times)

Salk

• View Profile
[Release] Scene Redux v1.31
« on: 2007-10-09 08:43:14 »
Hello!

Here I can finally announce the release of my mod Scene Redux. Now updated to version 1.31.

Link:  http://hosted.filefront.com/Crimes73/
(download file SceneReduxV1_31.zip)

INTRODUCTION
-----------------------

The Mod modifies the quality and number of items carried by ingame creatures, altering the success rate of stealing. There are no modifications whatsoever to the difficulty level of the game itself.

In the unmodded version, monsters often had different items as spoil of war and for stealing. This modification brings back a touch of realism and variation by making the player always have a chance to either win or steal the item(s) monsters carry. The winning rate has been considerably reduced and made uniform all through the game (the player has always the same chance of winning an item as it should be purely luck-based) while it's now generally a little easier to steal.

The original Scene.bin is vastly inconsistent in its arbitrary distribution of the stealth success percentage in the game, often bringing the player to the verge of frustration. This will no longer be the case.

Additionally, all monsters (with due exception for special ones) can now be morphed into an item while before they could not.

A file called NewTable.txt is included in the archive with details about each change made to the single encounter: modifications done are reported by two numbers in parenthesis (the first indicating the winning rate and the second the stealing rate) and after the letter M indicating the item a specific monster will be morphed into. The casual player is not recommended (and does not really need) to go through the list of specific changes as it could spoil the game by knowing in advance what kind of new items the player will be rewarded with.

The Mod introduces also some items that before were not carried by any enemy thus trying to rebalance the underrepresentation and uniformity of the number of stealable items.

INSTALLATION
---------------------

Make a backup of the original Scene.bin found in the directory C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\battle\ by renaming it Scene.bak

Make a backup of the original kernel.bin found in the directory C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\kernel\ by renaming it kernel.bak

Now unzip the new scene.bin and kernel.bin and replace the original ones in the above mentioned directories.

Start the game normally.

UNINSTALLATION
-------------------------

Just cancel the modified Scene.bin and kernel.bin and rename Scene.bak Scene.bin and kernel.bak kernel.bin.

CREDITS
------------

Thanks to the authors of Scenester (Lord Ramza) and Scene Reader and every other modder at Quimm's messageboard (http://forums.qhimm.com/)

Thanks to kruci for creating his tool FF7Stok.exe

Thanks to Squaresoft for producing my favourite episode ever of the Final Fantasy Saga

Thanks to Eidos for porting this game to PC thus giving us a chance to improve some aspects

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 2008-05-06 04:50:00 by Salk »

ARMs

• View Profile
Re: [Release] Scene Redux v1.2
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-09 09:57:39 »
its rude but i just have to say it.   Seems like a usless mod if the only thing changed is item drops and steals.   

Stealing for items has always been easier then winning them IMO.   The only rare items i can think of are the attack items and magics are way superior then those since magic is a hole lot easier to navigate threough and at some point stronger then those items.

Salk

• View Profile
Re: [Release] Scene Redux v1.2
« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-09 10:06:02 »
ARMs,

it's obvious that I can't agree with your statement. This mod has a minor impact and its ambition is limited to making things more realistic when it comes to steal/win items. Winning items now is a much rarer event than it is in the unmodded game. About stealing, I believe some people get frustrated when they fight against very difficult enemies and risk constantly the game over sequence because they delay the decisive blow hoping to steal an item.

It's not much change compared to the original game but I just believe that the original game does not need major overhauls.

And about being rude with your criticism, it's okay for me. I am just sharing this with the community because I think there are others who might enjoy it. Not all like hardcore-crazy beefed-up monster to fight against, you see. Some changes can be subtle and elegant. People have different tastes.
« Last Edit: 2007-10-09 10:12:26 by Salk »

Salk

• View Profile
Re: [Release] Scene Redux v1.31
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-02 08:38:25 »
The Mod has been updated to version 1.31.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-02 15:30:57 »
Can't believe I missed this the first time around. Nice work. Small, but I like that. Makes options modular as to what you want to change instead of a big massive mod that changes some things you like, and some things you don't like.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-05-06 04:49:02 »
Thanks, Tsetra.

It is indeed a small mod with a limited scope but it does the job and personally I find my gaming experience enhanced.  :wink: