Author Topic: Lighting  (Read 41362 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Lighting
« on: 2009-08-28 15:33:42 »
Ok so i was bored and decided to goof with the textures in the battle. I tossed in a nice massive 2048x2048 ground texture i found on the net to see what would happen and it worked. It was then that i noticed that the lighting in the game is crap. Is this something we can fix? Anyways check out the screen

Borde

• View Profile
Re: Lighting
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-28 16:55:29 »
It's painted directly on the battle scene vertices. It shouldn't be any hard to change using Kimera.

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-28 18:45:07 »
dude. sweet,,, are u gonna ad this to your 2d overhaul mod

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-28 19:02:43 »
very nice.  i actually just found these textures the other day but i hadn't gotten around to testing them.  i'm glad it's just as straight forward to get them working, and hopefully the lighting can be smoothed.  Even if it can't, that's still a massive improvment!

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-28 19:12:18 »

Probably not. And if i do it will be the last thing i do. Need a good texture artist to tackle that sort of project. I was just goofing around

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-28 19:16:27 »

Probably not. And if i do it will be the last thing i do. Need a good texture artist to tackle that sort of project. I was just goofing around

fair play,,,,

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-30 10:30:22 »
I've been thinking of doing this for a long time, but I've had a hard time getting the game to even run let alone mod it, then again i haven't tried to make it run for a few years now, could you fill me in on what's needed to change the textures? Just point me in the right direction, there's too much going on in this forum for me to know where to begin.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-30 11:16:41 »
First you should decompile your battle.lgp (using LGPTools, Highwind or Aali's UNLGP). Then you must locate the battle location you want to modify. I guess using Biturn would be a pretty good way of previewing them. Then find it's asociated textures. The textures of a battle model whose name is XXaa (where XX are the two first letters of the filename) must be between XXac and XXal in a lexicographically ordered list. You should replace these textures by whatever you want (of course you should convert them to TEX files). You could use Kimera for doing. That way you can also preview the result.

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-31 11:29:09 »
First you should decompile your battle.lgp (using LGPTools, Highwind or Aali's UNLGP). Then you must locate the battle location you want to modify. I guess using Biturn would be a pretty good way of previewing them. Then find it's asociated textures. The textures of a battle model whose name is XXaa (where XX are the two first letters of the filename) must be between XXac and XXal in a lexicographically ordered list. You should replace these textures by whatever you want (of course you should convert them to TEX files). You could use Kimera for doing. That way you can also preview the result.

Sweet, i'm looking into it right now, i didn't quite realize how bad the quality of the textures actually is until now.
Providing everything works out the way it should, i'll put up a goal of finishing the first bombing mission areas, when/if that ever gets done (motivation is a b*tch), we'll see if i'm still up for it, perhaps i can at least spark some interest.

Edit: Followed what you said, so far so good, don't know how to replace it in Kimera though, the buttons and the dropdown is there and all but they do nothing.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-31 19:23:17 by Rurounin »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-31 23:18:46 »

Sweet, i'm looking into it right now, i didn't quite realize how bad the quality of the textures actually is until now.
Providing everything works out the way it should, i'll put up a goal of finishing the first bombing mission areas, when/if that ever gets done (motivation is a b*tch), we'll see if i'm still up for it, perhaps i can at least spark some interest.

Edit: Followed what you said, so far so good, don't know how to replace it in Kimera though, the buttons and the dropdown is there and all but they do nothing.

A very simple way is to just convert the bmp to tex using img2tex. thats what i did

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-03 09:20:59 »

A very simple way is to just convert the bmp to tex using img2tex. thats what i did

I'm having a hard time finding img2tex, ze search does nothing  =/

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-03 09:30:38 »
I'll also mess with the textures to see what i come up with but does any one have a list of which file is what battle field that way it make it easier so i can start from the begging of the game to the end so i know how far i progressed if not guess i can just go thru myself and make a list but that'll be a bummer :-(

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-09-03 09:50:27 »
I'll also mess with the textures to see what i come up with but does any one have a list of which file is what battle field that way it make it easier so i can start from the begging of the game to the end so i know how far i progressed if not guess i can just go thru myself and make a list but that'll be a bummer :-(

opaa in battle.lgp for the battlefield skeleton for the first battle.

It's shame it only gets shown once, but it still could use an upgrade ;D

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-09-03 10:55:32 »
k thanks oh did you still need a img2tex converter

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-09-03 21:33:05 »
Ok i guess im not understanding what to do i lpg tools to to get the files out of battle.lpg and then i used bitturn to preview then turn the txt to image i then edit the image and tried to convert it bak into txt with bitturn also with a img2txt i got from a thread from borde i think but none seem to turn them bak into txt so i can display them in the game some helpful information will really be appreciated

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-09-04 17:03:41 »
Ok i guess im not understanding what to do i lpg tools to to get the files out of battle.lpg and then i used bitturn to preview then turn the txt to image i then edit the image and tried to convert it bak into txt with bitturn also with a img2txt i got from a thread from borde i think but none seem to turn them bak into txt so i can display them in the game some helpful information will really be appreciated

I haven't gotten that far so i can't help you, and due to a computer breakdown i'm gonna have to start over, not as bad as it sounds, only reworked one texture anyway, but i'm going to take you up on the img2tex offer if you don't mind :-D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-09-04 17:14:58 »

I haven't gotten that far so i can't help you, and due to a computer breakdown i'm gonna have to start over, not as bad as it sounds, only reworked one texture anyway, but i'm going to take you up on the img2tex offer if you don't mind :-D

What exactly are you planning to do rurounin? Backgrounds for battles? If so let me know

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-09-04 19:16:43 »
I also was gonna try to do backgrounds for battles but cant seem to get my textures in the game idk what im doing wrong her

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-09-04 19:18:10 »
I also was gonna try to do backgrounds for battles but cant seem to get my textures in the game idk what im doing wrong her

Its pretty easy. Load your bmp into img2tex and convert it. The put the tex file into the lgp

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-09-04 19:24:39 »
ok i was useing bitturn to convert it to txt idk if thats my problem or not but is there a a site or can you upload img2txt for me so i can see if that will work

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-09-04 19:28:47 »
ok i was useing bitturn to convert it to txt idk if thats my problem or not but is there a a site or can you upload img2txt for me so i can see if that will work

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8639.0

Rurounin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-09-04 19:38:17 »
What exactly are you planning to do rurounin? Backgrounds for battles? If so let me know

Just experimenting, replacing the textures for the battle backgrounds, trying to stick as close to the originals as possible, mostly reworking them with smudge and grunge brushes and adding highlights, but i didn't get it in-game yet so i never knew if it looked good or not.

Wait, i  just remember i saved it in my game folder... which isn't in my windows partition...

http://bayimg.com/hAdiAaaCl

That's the image i was going to test, it's not done but you get the idea, as for now i'm gonna have to reinstall Photoshop, drivers for my tablet and whatnot, don't think i'm gonna get back on it today.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8639.0

Thanks, i wonder why i wasn't able to find the thread.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-04 19:39:48 by Rurounin »

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-09-04 19:44:57 »

Its pretty easy. Load your bmp into img2tex and convert it. The put the tex file into the lgp

Ok so when you change the bmp to .txt do you got to change it out with kamera then save it?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-09-04 20:14:51 »
well, really your going to want to use Aali's texture injection to get the best results from doing this.  Simply replacing the originals with new ones of the same size isn't going to get you anywhere.  You need to hex edit the texture your putting back into the LGP so that it calls upon your new texture PNG located in your /textures directory.  Easy aint it ;)

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-09-04 21:09:59 »
Ok that sounds like a better plan but i never used a hex editor before how would i go about to change it to call upon the png file