Author Topic: Another Mind (A Squaresoft FMV visual novel)  (Read 3078 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Another Mind (A Squaresoft FMV visual novel)
« on: 2014-07-29 10:24:50 »
Ok, I'm pulling this out of hibernation and can use some help, and also have a moral dilemma.

Another Mind is a neat FMV visual novel made by Square back in 1998. It uses a pretty quirky Dialog system where you input full sentences into the game and it parses them.

I just put up the file formats on the Wiki. There are only 12 of them. The good news is that I found the sector look-up table for the files. (After literally seconds of searching. It's called CDPOS.DAT and it's in the root directory. It only looks up the files in a single folder (where all the Game data is located) and at the end of the list is a big DUMMY file which fills out the outed edge of the CD-ROM. This means file insert/removal is pretty much a breeze.

If I can get a text dump of the dictionaries/game dialog, I will be so happy. Even better. There is tutorial at the beginning I'm assuming called "DEMO" that exercises much of the game core functions. Also, the scripting commands are plain text in the executable.

Anyone what to help?
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29 10:51:46 by halkun »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Another Mind (A Squaresoft FMV visual novel)
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-29 14:13:05 »
You, Sir, are dope! Were did you dig that from? :)
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29 14:24:01 by LeonhartGR »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Another Mind (A Squaresoft FMV visual novel)
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-04 04:54:24 »
I parsed out the format of CDPOS.DAT. It's probably similar to FF7's file indexer. (YAMADA.BIN)? Things of note: It looks like the sector index is "off by one". I was able to suss it out.