Author Topic: Storyline Revamp Concept  (Read 3598 times)

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
Storyline Revamp Concept
« on: 2010-12-10 05:31:29 »
The Christmas season is officially upon us, you know this because the stores start putting up the Valentine's day decorations about now. I was working on an FF7 related project and remembered getting my non-greatest hits copy of Final Fantasy 7 twelve years ago at Christmas. Twelve years. I'll let you grasp that concept, I'm 19, Final Fantasy 7 has literally been my favorite game for almost three quarters of my whole life. Now what keeps the player interested? The top-notch graphics? "Hey Cities," you say "But, Square put millions of dollars and tons of manpower into the flagship of the Final Fantasy Series. Producing a unique experience by incorporating fully 3D figures into a vivid 2D environment." True. But, they also did the same to several other titles released after Final Fantasy 7 updating 'cutting edge' graphics for there respective time as well.

With that being said, what really keeps these players coming back? It's the underlying themes and the dynamic characters. I realize with each mod that comes out and the easy accessibility to in-game text editors that there are bound to be a vast number of enhanced versions of the often choppy English translation. And besides the few "this mod turnz clooud into a gurl with an achne probelm!!!1!111!LAWLAWL!11!11", I have yet to find an attempt to use the Final Fantasy 7 stage to really get any real form of catharsis from the audience. Finding someone with skill to take creative liberties yet stick to the original concepts and character development rate.

The real point of this post is just me wondering if any of the major revamps of the game including the Team Avalanche graphical overhaul are going to include such a thing. A graphical overhaul and a script update a sort of body and soul complex.

Just an idea, I'm interested to see what other members have to say.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Storyline Revamp Concept
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-10 10:53:00 »
Avalanche is not doing any updates to the storyline, this is beyond the scope of what we hope to achieve.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-10 14:07:35 »
The only project editing the script that I know of is the FFVII Retranslation Project.

I do like your idea, I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities in the game to improve the story experience.
FF games can sometimes be needlessly confusing or unclear on certain important plot points, in my opinion.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-10 14:32:49 »
Haha, thanks Timber! It was just an idea floating around that I technically "hadn't seen". I appreciate and fully understand why TA would NOT do such a thing as well too, keeping with the original concepts. But, like what you said there are tons of opportunities to increase the players awareness level while still avoiding the very painful "infodumps"; for example when Sephiroth 'explains' Cloud's existence at the North Crater and explains what really happened in Niebleheim.

Avalanche is not doing any updates to the storyline, this is beyond the scope of what we hope to achieve.

Last time I checked, the TA project as a whole is a bit beyond the scope of belief itself. ;D

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-10 14:48:08 »
changing the storyline is so much work and so strongly subject to OMGWHATRUDOINGWTF comments that I doubt anyone will ever publicly release such a thing. I am at 40% of my own story mod that turns this into a love story between Tifa and Aerith, and it's a crapton of work.
And from what it sounds like, you want some kinda story changes over the whole game. I have NFI how much work that'd be. probably enough to last a modder a lifetime.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-10 15:18:54 »
changing the storyline is so much work and so strongly subject to OMGWHATRUDOINGWTF comments that I doubt anyone will ever publicly release such a thing. I am at 40% of my own story mod that turns this into a love story between Tifa and Aerith, and it's a crapton of work.
And from what it sounds like, you want some kinda story changes over the whole game. I have NFI how much work that'd be. probably enough to last a modder a lifetime.

I would download a copy of the game script (God, I love Fanboys), throw it on my lappy and work on rewording the awkward sentences and whatnot at my leisure. Then copy and pasting your work and compiling your info in-game. I'd imagine the hardest part would be figuring out exactly what actions are taking place during each text box. I've never done it personally, so you'd be the authority here.

PS: That is the best text mod I've heard of for FF7.. Lol, it's like anyone who has ever played 7's fantasy. :P

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-11 18:22:00 »
It's actually much harder to copy-paste the script to notepad, edit it, copy it back than simply edit it in mako reactor. seriously.
I don't have the skills to create new animations and stuff, otherwise I could do much more than I do now, but maybe some day, someone offers his help.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-11 21:35:32 »
Now that I'm thinking about it, without editing animations and whatnot it would be near IMPOSSIBLE to change any scene dramatically. That's a very good point. Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks guys!