Author Topic: Play the PC on PSX  (Read 11284 times)

Richgirl80billion

• View Profile
Play the PC on PSX
« on: 2009-02-14 20:08:38 »
I was wonder if anyone was ever tried this....

Many people talk about how much they want to edit the PSX version of FF7 and many more said that it isn't possible, yet.

Well has anyone ever tried putting the PC version of FF7 on a disc and playing it on a playstation or Ps2? I don't know if it's possible but I always wonder if we can just put our PC game (after we edited it and added what we wanted) on a disk and then playing it on a playstation. That would almost be exactly like editing the playstation but with all the stress of trying to figure out how to do it...

Anyone know if this is possible?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Play the PC on PSX
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-14 20:17:26 »
No, not really.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-14 21:46:38 »
My face is in pain from the palm it just received.

ignitz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-22 00:38:01 »
maybe be fake posting.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-22 11:53:10 »
You know how teachers say theres no such thing as a stupid question? You just proved them wrong.

Trenholm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-03-20 19:39:59 »
...I'm speechless.  I hope so bad this is a joke post.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-03-21 06:44:20 »
You know how teachers say theres no such thing as a stupid question? You just proved them wrong.

nonono, they're still right by my account, I think this way

There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-03-22 23:58:03 »
Quote from Zero Punctuation: I think you should leave now, frankly you fill me with disgust.

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-03-23 12:04:44 »
Hey hey, people. Don't be so nasty to him :P Just explain it.

It's not possible to play PC games on PSX and it will never be, putting something on CD and then putting it in PSX is like trying to take a bun and put it in toaster for bread, it may be similar but it's nowhere near same. Mind that note for the future.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-03-31 03:49:37 »
Hey hey, people. Don't be so nasty to him :P Just explain it.

It's not possible to play PC games on PSX and it will never be, putting something on CD and then putting it in PSX is like trying to take a bun and put it in toaster for bread, it may be similar but it's nowhere near same. Mind that note for the future.

I would've used the analogy of putting toast in a toaster to make bread

Cyprien

« Reply #10 on: 2009-03-31 06:36:43 »
I agree with the not so nasty things ^^ everyone has the right to ask and well I think most of the ppl here gave an answer :)

I'ts like... trying to beat the 4 disk FF7 with only one disk. or trying to put a dvd in a VCR player, just wont work  :-P

:-D

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-03-31 19:51:16 »
I'ts like... trying to beat the 4 disk FF7 with only one disk. or trying to put a dvd in a VCR player, just wont work  :-P

o_O FF7 never had 4 disks... It's always been 3 disk game.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-03-31 22:20:21 »

o_O FF7 never had 4 disks... It's always been 3 disk game.

PC Version had 4 discs
I agree with the not so nasty things ^^ everyone has the right to ask and well I think most of the ppl here gave an answer :)

:-D

yeah, but when you ask a mind-numbingly stupid question, you deserve what you have coming to you... like this guy

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-04-03 17:15:12 »
PC Version might've had 4 discs, but one was an install disc.... so technically the game itself was only 3.

m35

• View Profile
    • jPSXdec
« Reply #14 on: 2009-04-04 17:04:15 »
*sigh* If you guys would get your pasty white ass off your computer chair and actually interact with people in the world, you might realize not everyone is like you. You have no idea how little most people know about technical stuff. Seriously, most folks think computers and whatnot run on pixie dust. They push a button, the elves get to work, and stuff shows up on the screen. We all had to learn at some point that things don't work that way. Don't be a dick and act like you were born with the understanding you have, and don't be a bigot thinking anyone lacking in your teh 1337 field of knowledge is less deserving of decent human treatment.

Edit: on the other hand, there's also a good chance IHBT
« Last Edit: 2009-04-04 17:09:50 by m35 »

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-04-04 17:07:58 »
*sigh* If you guys would get your pasty white ass off your computer chair and actually interact with people in the world, you might realize not everyone is like you. You have no idea how little most people know about technical stuff. Seriously, most folks think computers and whatnot run on pixie dust. They push a button, the elves get to work, and stuff shows up on the screen. We all had to learn at some point that things don't work that way. Don't be a dick and act like you were born with the understanding you have, and don't be a bigot thinking anyone lacking in your teh 1337 field of knowledge is less deserving of decent human treatment.

Why do i lack the ability to say it right

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 2009-04-05 21:08:24 »

What he are demonstrating is a lack of thinking on his part, not ours. I understand that some people think that computers work on pixie dust. I have no problem with that. The issue is that you are in a technologically minded forum, with people who have taken great efforts to understand their crafts. When we see someone who does not take the time to understand what they are talking about and do little/no research into what they are explaining, they  look the fool.

Fear not! There is redemption! Just read this link here and come back with a head full of questions. We will be more than happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-05 21:15:19 by halkun »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-04-06 03:34:49 »

What he are demonstrating is a lack of thinking on his part, not ours. I understand that some people think that computers work on pixie dust. I have no problem with that. The issue is that you are in a technologically minded forum, with people who have taken great efforts to understand their crafts. When we see someone who does not take the time to understand what they are talking about and do little/no research into what they are explaining, they  look the fool.

Fear not! There is redemption! Just read this link here and come back with a head full of questions. We will be more than happy to answer them.

Hear hear!

You know, it's been said a few times that this forum is unfriendly to newcomers - not true. Unfriendly to lazy people... yes. And rightly so.

I really like the way you explained that Halkun. It seems lately there have been more and more people just creating accounts to say silly things. While these silly things might not seem silly to those that post the silly things, they seem silly to those in the know.

No one is born with any kind of understanding, that is why we teach ourselves and learn... so that in the future we don't say silly things. The truth of the matter is that lazyness is causing people to post stupid questions and stupid points and stupid arguments. The people that are too lazy to type something into a search box and educate themselves before posting. Its frustrating and causes discussions like this.

I browsed this board without creating an account for four years because I answered all the stupid questions myself by using the search button - and google - and all the big scary things people are too lazy to do. Pfft!

MrAdults

« Reply #18 on: 2009-04-06 05:18:33 »
This is a perfectly legitimate question. In fact, with a combination of high-level emulation and static/dynamic recompilation, playing the PC version of FF7 on a PS2 is quite possible, mind you not without a lot more work than the end result would be worth. In any case, the question does not come across as overly rude or impolite, and to dismiss it as a result of "laziness", given the limited amount of information you are presented here, is rather presumptuous.

This thread could be about interesting ways to achieve the original poster's goal, or it could be about people engaging in socially counterproductive behavior and perpetuating notions of superiority and elitism. :) But to answer the original post in a reasonable and intelligent manner (for the benefit of anyone happening upon this thread who is stuck in the fixed mindset that such a thing is "impossible"):

Yes, what you ask is technically possible, but not with any software currently in existence. Someone would have to write an extremely efficient high-level emulator, or go as far as re-creating the game's engine and internal logic from scratch for the given target platform. Although high-level emulation is the more reasonable solution here, at least for the PS2 as a target platform. In all likelihood, it will never happen, at least not with the PS2 as a target. However, I wouldn't call such a project a waste of time either. An extremely efficient x86 recompilation engine combined with high-level emulation of Windows API's on varying target platforms would have great uses across the board, even if it were hardcoded in various ways to make optimizations for FF7's binary and routines.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-04-06 15:45:32 »
This is a perfectly legitimate question. In fact, with a combination of high-level emulation and static/dynamic recompilation, playing the PC version of FF7 on a PS2 is quite possible, mind you not without a lot more work than the end result would be worth. In any case, the question does not come across as overly rude or impolite, and to dismiss it as a result of "laziness", given the limited amount of information you are presented here, is rather presumptuous.

This thread could be about interesting ways to achieve the original poster's goal, or it could be about people engaging in socially counterproductive behavior and perpetuating notions of superiority and elitism. :) But to answer the original post in a reasonable and intelligent manner (for the benefit of anyone happening upon this thread who is stuck in the fixed mindset that such a thing is "impossible"):

Yes, what you ask is technically possible, but not with any software currently in existence. Someone would have to write an extremely efficient high-level emulator, or go as far as re-creating the game's engine and internal logic from scratch for the given target platform. Although high-level emulation is the more reasonable solution here, at least for the PS2 as a target platform. In all likelihood, it will never happen, at least not with the PS2 as a target. However, I wouldn't call such a project a waste of time either. An extremely efficient x86 recompilation engine combined with high-level emulation of Windows API's on varying target platforms would have great uses across the board, even if it were hardcoded in various ways to make optimizations for FF7's binary and routines.

I see your point MrAdults, however if the original poster had taken time to read around the board and learnt a little about the processes, they wouldn't have posted a question like that. Therefore it is "laziness" that caused the individual to post this in the first place. So no, I don't think its presumptuous. Its also apparent that the original poster assumed that just whacking the PC files onto a disc and putting it in a Playstation could work. Had this person read the numerous discussions around the board pertaining to modifying the PSX version, they would have realised - perhaps instantly - that it just doesn't work that way.

I'd like to be able to play the PC version on my PSP, so I'm all for the idea that this could happen. But I know better than to assume it's going to be a case of moving files, because I've read around.

MrAdults

« Reply #20 on: 2009-04-06 17:46:17 »
It's not apparent that they presumed "whacking files onto a disc" was all that was required, they asked a very open-ended question regarding whether it was possible to somehow achieve their goal, mentioning their own limited speculations on what the process would entail. And it would in fact entail whacking files onto a disc, just with a lot of other things added to the process. Having been reading these forums off and on for some number of years myself, I certainly haven't seen anything that would definitely tell me that it's impossible to run a PC application on a PSX/PS2. Not to mention, if anyone has said it's impossible, they were technically wrong. Calling this person lazy is just not justified.

If you search hard enough, you can find the answer to just about anything in the realm of software engineering without having to rely on someone else, even if you end up having to devote days, weeks, or months of your life to it. That does not mean it's intelligent or effective to spend hours searching on Google for something you have little to no familiarity/understanding with, when there is already a forum of people well-versed on the topic that can give you a nice precise answer to your rather simple question. This isn't a question that the poster could have read a few pages in and found the answer to. It's just something that people assume is "obvious" when it actually isn't. The only thing stopping anyone here from giving a straight answer, as far as I can see, is some inflated sense of self-importance, or assumptions on what someone should or should not be able to easily find on their own. I see answering the question as a far more effective use of time than making snide remarks or berating the poster. But at least this thread is now an interesting social commentary in and of itself. ;)

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-04-06 21:14:24 »
Well, now it's been answered. So this thread can either turn into a discussion about how to achieve the particular goal set about in the first place, or it can stop. For the time being, let's just agree to disagree.

Richgirl80billion

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-04-13 07:39:04 »
Alright, I'm going to clear things up right now. Since everyone wants to act up over the computer I'mma do the same! I never knew that this forum was filled with such rude people who feel that if someone isn't as intelligent as they are they're considered lazy. I'm only 16 years old. I have a life that's way more important than sitting at my laptop reading 10 to 20 pages about final fantasy 7. So calling me lazy is just stupid because I'm not lazy. I'm just more concern with school, family, and friends. Not putting ff7 PC on the PSX/PS2.

I believed that since i didn't have the time and/or desire to search for the answers to something I don't know about, I could ask the people who do know about this kind of stuff. But all I get is a buch of insults because I don't know as much you do about the situation. This dumb ass JordieBo talking about I fill him with disgust. What kind of bull sh*t is that? And that other asshole who said that I asked a stupid question. b*tch please, who the f*** are you to tell me that I asked a stupid question? When you was a kid and you asked your mom what was for dinner, was that a stupid question? NO! because obviously your not the one who makes dinner. But you could've got off your ass and looked, right? Were you being lazy? No, because you could just ask someone who knows about cooking the dinner. Which in this case is the person who's in the kitchen cooking. But because everybody here is so smart those who aren't as smart as you get insulted. You are all a bunch of broke ass b*tches who live with your mother in the f***ing basement with no life and no friends because you spend all your time modding ff7. Day and niight. Go to college, studying to be a game programmer, and call it a day.

And for all you mother f***ers who keeps refering to me as "he" are even more stupid than the stupid ones. Check my user again you dumb ass b*tches. But you're all so smart, right? Btich, get the f*** up out here. Kiss ass and get glad. And watch how all you mothers f***er with no lives are gonna type a bunch of bull sh*t back me. I said once, and I'll say it again. NO LIFE! Peace out!
« Last Edit: 2009-04-13 07:44:54 by Richgirl80billion »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #23 on: 2009-04-13 11:43:29 »

MrAdults

« Reply #24 on: 2009-04-13 19:28:38 »
It's impossible to tell if the poster is really an angry 16-year-old girl, or a young boy with personality disorders. But I hope this has taught everyone a lesson in respect and kindness. In the former case, you have irritated a perfectly innocent young woman. In the latter case, you have given the dysfunctional young man what he desired. Both unideal situations that could have been avoided with a nice straight answer. :)

Although, in the unusual event that you actually are a young female searching for information on a decade-old (or more, now, I guess, it's been a long time) game, Richgirl80billion, you should know that, statistically, this is highly improbable. As such, it should come as no surprise that people doubt that you are who you say you are. There's no need to become enraged, or even by surprised, by that fact. But you can't be blamed for reacting with anger to the kind of accusatory attitudes and immaturity displayed in this thread.

On the other hand, if you aren't who you say you are, nothing I say would be of use. Other than that you should consider a greater level of honesty with your therapist (I'm guessing you already have or had one - if not, get one).

Also, while nuking this thread is surely tempting, I recommend that it be moved to "Completely unrelated" for social progress and posterity. ;)