Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836729 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9525 on: 2020-05-17 20:17:02 »
Interesting.  I'd like to try it, but I can't seem to make it work.  I tried using the NTV IRO from the first page, and ... nothing happens.  No errors, no nothing, but nothing seems changed either.  So I tried using the Gameplay 3.0 mod from the Qhimm catalog, and selecting NTV option under its difficulty tab.  THAT actually seems to work at first glance, as I get starting pop-ups and explanations of Cloud's abilities, but the first combat encounter isn't with Trooper Trainees but creatures and on a Midgar exterior field.  So clearly, that's borked.

On a whim, I tried running the default New Threat IRO, and played about an hour into it.  THAT seems to work just fine, though.  *headscratch*  I'm tempted to just go with the regular mod, but reading the Documentation spreadsheet is more than a tad overwhelming.  I hate to say it, but is there a walkthrough for this mod on Neoseeker or Gamefaqs?  *laughs* (no, there isn't, I looked). 

Sounds like it's broken, probably the scene lookup table in the kernel not being right. As for my IRO, maybe I've got the folder reference wrong. I'll check it just now.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-17 20:25:58 by Sega Chief »

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: 2020-05-17 20:24:36 »
how many more weeks until the 2.0 of The NT mod is released

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: 2020-05-17 20:25:39 »
how many more weeks until the 2.0 of The NT mod is released

No idea.

Interesting.  I'd like to try it, but I can't seem to make it work.  I tried using the NTV IRO from the first page, and ... nothing happens.  No errors, no nothing, but nothing seems changed either.  So I tried using the Gameplay 3.0 mod from the Qhimm catalog, and selecting NTV option under its difficulty tab.  THAT actually seems to work at first glance, as I get starting pop-ups and explanations of Cloud's abilities, but the first combat encounter isn't with Trooper Trainees but creatures and on a Midgar exterior field.  So clearly, that's borked.

On a whim, I tried running the default New Threat IRO, and played about an hour into it.  THAT seems to work just fine, though.  *headscratch*  I'm tempted to just go with the regular mod, but reading the Documentation spreadsheet is more than a tad overwhelming.  I hate to say it, but is there a walkthrough for this mod on Neoseeker or Gamefaqs?  *laughs* (no, there isn't, I looked). 

I tested an IRO and seems to be OK, I've uploaded it and will replace the link:
https://mega.nz/file/Xgt3VbpI#0ZmgffgQhNq8QgRHZEr8soSfvVsYCaLfmkZnusMFdhc

This one should specifically state NT Vanilla Combat version when selecting new game.

heromic

• View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: 2020-05-17 20:43:08 »
It's a great idea someone makes an in-depth walkthough of the NT game on gamefaqs.com! Or at least create a topic with all new content and how to obtain each one.

Barachiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: 2020-05-17 21:02:37 »
I tested an IRO and seems to be OK, I've uploaded it and will replace the link:
https://mega.nz/file/Xgt3VbpI#0ZmgffgQhNq8QgRHZEr8soSfvVsYCaLfmkZnusMFdhc

This one should specifically state NT Vanilla Combat version when selecting new game.

That worked!  I got the same pop-ups as gameplay 3.0 but the random battles were actually right!  Thank you!

Now I'm torn over whether to go with Vanilla or Regular New Threat.  Maybe if I'd been playing the game regularly for the last 20 years I'd be craving a complete overhaul, but I think I last played FF7 in 2005 or 2007.  But I have enjoyed my 2 hours with it so far.  *wrestles with indecision*
« Last Edit: 2020-05-17 21:06:41 by Barachiel »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: 2020-05-17 21:31:44 »
That worked!  I got the same pop-ups as gameplay 3.0 but the random battles were actually right!  Thank you!

Now I'm torn over whether to go with Vanilla or Regular New Threat.  Maybe if I'd been playing the game regularly for the last 20 years I'd be craving a complete overhaul, but I think I last played FF7 in 2005 or 2007.  But I have enjoyed my 2 hours with it so far.  *wrestles with indecision*

Could start with NT and then if it doesn't pan out, swap it out for the vanilla version. The save file between them should be fine.

Barachiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: 2020-05-17 21:39:38 »
Could start with NT and then if it doesn't pan out, swap it out for the vanilla version. The save file between them should be fine.

Really? I'd think it would break everything, but you're the mod maker. You know a lot more than I do!  Why not, I'll give it a shot. 

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: 2020-05-18 03:06:22 »
Hey, so I managed to morph Shake, but I didn't get any Sprint Shoes. Was that removed?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: 2020-05-18 03:26:53 »
Hey, so I managed to morph Shake, but I didn't get any Sprint Shoes. Was that removed?

I removed all the Morphs from the Pagoda fights because they're much more difficult than normal to Morph (and Chekhov I think can't be morphed). Sorry about that.

Barachiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: 2020-05-18 04:02:59 »
So I ploughed through the first several hours of my first NT playthrough.  Got to Junon.  Up till that point, everything had been copacetic.  Fights took some thought.  Bosses were tougher, but not unreasonably so.  I was still feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I was managing.

Then came the boss fight to save Priscilla.  I was level 21, decently geared (as much as I could be, I'd barely seen any weapon or armor upgrades; nearly all the armor was offering stat boosts in exchange for non-existent protection, basically turning them into another set of accessories, just with materia sockets).  I'd kitted out character with materia befitting their party roles. 

So first go, it's with Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith.  I give up after 15 minutes of barely holding on while it hits me for 3-500 HP per hit, which nearly one-shots the ladies.  Barret had my Barrier materia so I had no defenses.  Melee couldn't hit it, and the only attack spells we had were Fire, and 2 Ice, which weren't doing tons of damage. 

So, I restart, switch Tifa out for Barret and juggle some spell materia to give everyone something to use.  I try the fight again, and it quickly settles into a pattern:  Cloud hits it with Bolt, Aerith with Ice, and Barret keeps everyone Shielded and Hasted.  Aerith heals as needed, and LBs get fired off regularly.  Now the fight isn't anywhere near as tense as the Barrier materia cuts the damage down, and Cloud is also a secondary healer, so between him and Aerith, everyone stays up.

Rinse and repeat for nearly 20 minutes. 

Um, what am I doing wrong?  Or is every boss fight going to be like this now?  Many of the random encounters have hit the point where physical attacks are basically the worst thing I can use, and its all spell-casting, all the time now.  Is that normal, too?  If there' some blindingly obvious things I'm missing, I'm eager to learn what to do.  Right now, as it stands, this mod has gone from entertainingly challenging, to a tedious slog once I cleared the Mythril Mines. 

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: 2020-05-18 04:11:10 »
I removed all the Morphs from the Pagoda fights because they're much more difficult than normal to Morph (and Chekhov I think can't be morphed). Sorry about that.
Ah, no, that's fine! And yeah, Chekov wouldn't be possible to morph since she's immune to physical damage.

Though, while we're on the subject, maybe do a difficulty pass on Godo or the other Pagoda people? He was legit the easiest of the 5 fights. The others all had a gimmick where you had to think in order to win (Checkov I beat only by constantly having reflect up, Shake I had to item-chump and then wait until I got a lucky last shot in, etc), but Godo went down with a few castings of Trine and some basic attacks (though I did have to debarrier him a couple times).

Either that, or maybe make the preceding fights a touch easier? Maybe allow Shake(s) to be debuffed in some way so the player can reduce his evasion, at least temporarily (maybe make Shakes B through G more able to be hit, and as they die, Shake himself becomes more vulnerable? Like each "afterimage" give him +25% evasion, so as they die, his evasion goes down? And he can re-summon them if they all die! Or is reducing his evasion on the fly like that not possible?). Also, give Chekov SOME kind of elemental weakness that'll show up on Sense. She's way too tanky for a mage! Perhaps instead of blanket physical immunity she has Wall, Regen and Reflect up, you know, things that can be countered and dispelled, and can even use peerless for a small number of turns when she's in trouble (assuming it can be dispelled and the duration on it can be edited on your end).

Just some ideas, not criticism. The mod is great and I hope to play 2.0 when it's released =)
« Last Edit: 2020-05-18 04:23:55 by EmperorSteele »

KaosuReido

• View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: 2020-05-18 04:22:55 »
Really? I'd think it would break everything, but you're the mod maker. You know a lot more than I do!  Why not, I'll give it a shot.

Sega Chief can correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that the game still thinks it's saving a vanilla save file, because it technically is. The new and changed items and spells and Materia and stuff in NT still map to usable values in vanilla, even if those values are technically impossible to have. The exclusive data like Ranks and SP amounts and stuff NT uses is still saved somewhere in the save file, in a spot that's either unused in vanilla saves, or used elsewhere for another purpose that NT ignores.

Basically, they're the same structure and the same file, but Vanilla reads the data one way, and NT another. Making the appropriate changes in something like Black Chocobo will still spit out a valid file.

yeriano

• View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: 2020-05-18 08:34:39 »
is there anyone else that have the problem use big guard,barrier,mbarrier? because working, there is no animation of it when enemy attack(don't decrease enemy attack or magic either)

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: 2020-05-18 11:56:47 »
question fellas is like 6 months idid not play this mod... anyone managed to find steal materia? I am in midgar after sector7 blow up and i recall in orignial game you find steal in teh sewers after don corneo's mansion,.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: 2020-05-18 14:52:14 »
Um, what am I doing wrong?  Or is every boss fight going to be like this now?  Many of the random encounters have hit the point where physical attacks are basically the worst thing I can use, and its all spell-casting, all the time now.  Is that normal, too?  If there' some blindingly obvious things I'm missing, I'm eager to learn what to do.  Right now, as it stands, this mod has gone from entertainingly challenging, to a tedious slog once I cleared the Mythril Mines.

Nothing probably, the bosses HP starts ramping up at that point, and there's not many ways of dealing high damage yet. Rank 2 spells take a while to unlock, and physical damage isn't great before you get good accessories, equipment and rank-ups. On Arrange type it's even more noticable. Best thing to do is utilizing the bosses weakness with a high Magic stat character. Oh, and put everyone on backrow for that fight. Could use Tranquilizers too.

Spoiler: show
Bottomswell is weak to Lightning and Wind, I like to have to 2 Lightning Materias for this and all the robots in Midgar. Wind has no basic Materia sadly, but Choco/Mog is great. And there's a Wind type Enemy skill Chocobuckle, which is basically Aero1, you can learn it from the Chocobos outside the ranch. First learn the Quarry Fuse move from the squirrels there, then use Mimmett Greens? on a Chocobo and while he is eating, use Quarry Fuse and it will counter with Chocobuckle.

If you are playing on Normal, Poison is great for that boss. If on Arrange, use the Bird Wing item you should have.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-18 16:13:57 by Maziac »

cjmstate

• View Profile
« Reply #9540 on: 2020-05-18 15:51:36 »
So I ploughed through the first several hours of my first NT playthrough.  Got to Junon.  Up till that point, everything had been copacetic.  Fights took some thought.  Bosses were tougher, but not unreasonably so.  I was still feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I was managing.

Then came the boss fight to save Priscilla.  I was level 21, decently geared (as much as I could be, I'd barely seen any weapon or armor upgrades; nearly all the armor was offering stat boosts in exchange for non-existent protection, basically turning them into another set of accessories, just with materia sockets).  I'd kitted out character with materia befitting their party roles. 

So first go, it's with Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith.  I give up after 15 minutes of barely holding on while it hits me for 3-500 HP per hit, which nearly one-shots the ladies.  Barret had my Barrier materia so I had no defenses.  Melee couldn't hit it, and the only attack spells we had were Fire, and 2 Ice, which weren't doing tons of damage. 

So, I restart, switch Tifa out for Barret and juggle some spell materia to give everyone something to use.  I try the fight again, and it quickly settles into a pattern:  Cloud hits it with Bolt, Aerith with Ice, and Barret keeps everyone Shielded and Hasted.  Aerith heals as needed, and LBs get fired off regularly.  Now the fight isn't anywhere near as tense as the Barrier materia cuts the damage down, and Cloud is also a secondary healer, so between him and Aerith, everyone stays up.

I have found this guy has some videos out there for most boss fights on arranged mode. Helps me when I am running into fights that I cannot figure out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_kep_PFGGY&list=PL3B-NAl8G2fNqqQt3iSZTUOtBJ2ITDCLe&index=25

Barachiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: 2020-05-18 17:22:15 »
I have found this guy has some videos out there for most boss fights on arranged mode. Helps me when I am running into fights that I cannot figure out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_kep_PFGGY&list=PL3B-NAl8G2fNqqQt3iSZTUOtBJ2ITDCLe&index=25

Ah, I see, they used a Dirty Bomb to poision it, which basically cut the fight in half.  Playlist saved.  Thanks!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: 2020-05-18 17:57:25 »

For physicals, you want to be using Elemental to 2x the damage they deal; a lot of the Materia had elements added (Holy to Restore/Revive, for instance) to take better advantage of that. Back row should be avoided if the character doesn't have a ranged weapon (and Barret has a case for front row even if using a gun as his innate changes to a strength boost).

In the Bottomswell fight, assuming it was the normal mode one, it's the ideal time to try out the first Summon Choco/Mog as the boss is weak to wind. It can either be used early to skip ahead from the initial phases (tail attacks, etc.) or later on when Waterpolo bubbles are getting sent out as it'll hit both the boss and the bubble.

This boss can also be poisoned; if you have a handle on things defensively, then you can cast Haste on the boss to accelerate the poison damage (whereas Slow decreases it as the ticks proc less frequently).

I think in your set-up that Aeris would have been a better shoe-in for the Bolt Materia as her Magic stat will typically be higher at this point (depends on the rank-up options that were picked, if one was available when it was unlocked). It'd be a good idea to pick up a 2nd Bolt Materia somewhere as there are a lot of mechanical bosses in this game and having it for Elemental/casting is always handy.

Ah, no, that's fine! And yeah, Chekov wouldn't be possible to morph since she's immune to physical damage.

Though, while we're on the subject, maybe do a difficulty pass on Godo or the other Pagoda people? He was legit the easiest of the 5 fights. The others all had a gimmick where you had to think in order to win (Checkov I beat only by constantly having reflect up, Shake I had to item-chump and then wait until I got a lucky last shot in, etc), but Godo went down with a few castings of Trine and some basic attacks (though I did have to debarrier him a couple times).

Either that, or maybe make the preceding fights a touch easier? Maybe allow Shake(s) to be debuffed in some way so the player can reduce his evasion, at least temporarily (maybe make Shakes B through G more able to be hit, and as they die, Shake himself becomes more vulnerable? Like each "afterimage" give him +25% evasion, so as they die, his evasion goes down? And he can re-summon them if they all die! Or is reducing his evasion on the fly like that not possible?). Also, give Chekov SOME kind of elemental weakness that'll show up on Sense. She's way too tanky for a mage! Perhaps instead of blanket physical immunity she has Wall, Regen and Reflect up, you know, things that can be countered and dispelled, and can even use peerless for a small number of turns when she's in trouble (assuming it can be dispelled and the duration on it can be edited on your end).

Just some ideas, not criticism. The mod is great and I hope to play 2.0 when it's released =)

I finished the 2.0 versions of these fight recently; I could have a go at scripting Godo to use his 3 forms in sequence with different properties to each, and beating them advances the fight or something to keep it with the theme of the rest of the Pagoda.

Sega Chief can correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that the game still thinks it's saving a vanilla save file, because it technically is. The new and changed items and spells and Materia and stuff in NT still map to usable values in vanilla, even if those values are technically impossible to have. The exclusive data like Ranks and SP amounts and stuff NT uses is still saved somewhere in the save file, in a spot that's either unused in vanilla saves, or used elsewhere for another purpose that NT ignores.

Basically, they're the same structure and the same file, but Vanilla reads the data one way, and NT another. Making the appropriate changes in something like Black Chocobo will still spit out a valid file.

Yeah that's right; it's all variables and IDs which stay the same between versions. When I scripted NT I mostly left the vanilla variables alone so there's not much interference between the two.

is there anyone else that have the problem use big guard,barrier,mbarrier? because working, there is no animation of it when enemy attack(don't decrease enemy attack or magic either)

Not sure what the cause there is; some Accessories and Armour have an effect that prevents the application of Barrier/MBarrier (Amulet accessory, for instance, prevents all barrier-type magic. Ribbon also blocks it). Might be that.

question fellas is like 6 months idid not play this mod... anyone managed to find steal materia? I am in midgar after sector7 blow up and i recall in orignial game you find steal in teh sewers after don corneo's mansion,.

It's in the same place as it always is, the sewers:

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: 2020-05-18 18:59:32 »
For physicals, you want to be using Elemental to 2x the damage they deal; a lot of the Materia had elements added (Holy to Restore/Revive, for instance) to take better advantage of that. Back row should be avoided if the character doesn't have a ranged weapon (and Barret has a case for front row even if using a gun as his innate changes to a strength boost).

In the Bottomswell fight, assuming it was the normal mode one, it's the ideal time to try out the first Summon Choco/Mog as the boss is weak to wind. It can either be used early to skip ahead from the initial phases (tail attacks, etc.) or later on when Waterpolo bubbles are getting sent out as it'll hit both the boss and the bubble.

This boss can also be poisoned; if you have a handle on things defensively, then you can cast Haste on the boss to accelerate the poison damage (whereas Slow decreases it as the ticks proc less frequently).

I think in your set-up that Aeris would have been a better shoe-in for the Bolt Materia as her Magic stat will typically be higher at this point (depends on the rank-up options that were picked, if one was available when it was unlocked). It'd be a good idea to pick up a 2nd Bolt Materia somewhere as there are a lot of mechanical bosses in this game and having it for Elemental/casting is always handy.

I finished the 2.0 versions of these fight recently; I could have a go at scripting Godo to use his 3 forms in sequence with different properties to each, and beating them advances the fight or something to keep it with the theme of the rest of the Pagoda.

Yeah that's right; it's all variables and IDs which stay the same between versions. When I scripted NT I mostly left the vanilla variables alone so there's not much interference between the two.

Not sure what the cause there is; some Accessories and Armour have an effect that prevents the application of Barrier/MBarrier (Amulet accessory, for instance, prevents all barrier-type magic. Ribbon also blocks it). Might be that.

It's in the same place as it always is, the sewers:

then something is wrong sega
in the sewers i found no steal materia =(

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: 2020-05-18 19:11:48 »
then something is wrong sega
in the sewers i found no steal materia =(

I ran the latest IRO to check and it is there:

I checked the var handling it to ensure there's no rogue assignment earlier in the flevel that turns this byte on.

OLKv3

• View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: 2020-05-18 19:44:25 »
I just beat the Diamond Match. Whew, that was a mean trick you pulled there lol. Definitely the toughest fight I had yet, and since I did it before the Level 4 limit quests, I hope the other bosses still give some challenge to me

Are the end game Disc 3 optional bosses any different on Arrange? Or should I just wait for 2.0? Looking forward to playing 2.0!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: 2020-05-18 19:51:33 »
I just beat the Diamond Match. Whew, that was a mean trick you pulled there lol. Definitely the toughest fight I had yet, and since I did it before the Level 4 limit quests, I hope the other bosses still give some challenge to me

Are the end game Disc 3 optional bosses any different on Arrange? Or should I just wait for 2.0? Looking forward to playing 2.0!

I think the Diamond Match is one of the highest specced fights in the game, but I guess difficulty is relative. Some of the fights prove more problematic for players than others depending on how they usually approach things.  None of the optional bosses on Disc 3 change on 1.5's arrange mode, I'm afraid.

I'll have 2.0 out soon. A few weeks left, I think.

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: 2020-05-18 20:49:46 »
I ran the latest IRO to check and it is there:

I checked the var handling it to ensure there's no rogue assignment earlier in the flevel that turns this byte on.

sorry again Chief

Last run i did not see the materia in the sewers but mod seems working (i see no yellow ball and restore materia at game begin is colored blue instead of green =(

Barachiel

• View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: 2020-05-18 21:31:37 »

Holy crap, so that's what that means in the materia description!  I was wondering!  What is "Added Effect" materia specifically used for?  Does it add Poison to a weapon? 

Okay, I'm making notes for the future.  This mod really needs a comprehensive guide.  I tried using the Documentation spreadsheet, but many of its location entries are blank (I found out you get Full MEtal Staff by Morphing Hell House from a youtube video). 

There's a 2.0 version coming?!  ... Maybe I should just wait for it to drop?  Or will it be something that 1.5 can be upgraded mid-run without issue? 

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: 2020-05-18 21:37:16 »
sorry again Chief

Last run i did not see the materia in the sewers but mod seems working (i see no yellow ball and restore materia at game begin is colored blue instead of green =(

The Restore Materia at the start was left its default cyan colour, I didn't swap in the Green materia model for it so that's fine. Steal can be bought from shops later on, but are you sure you didn't just run past it? Maybe one of those model mods made it difficult to see or something.

Holy crap, so that's what that means in the materia description!  I was wondering!  What is "Added Effect" materia specifically used for?  Does it add Poison to a weapon? 

Okay, I'm making notes for the future.  This mod really needs a comprehensive guide.  I tried using the Documentation spreadsheet, but many of its location entries are blank (I found out you get Full MEtal Staff by Morphing Hell House from a youtube video). 

There's a 2.0 version coming?!  ... Maybe I should just wait for it to drop?  Or will it be something that 1.5 can be upgraded mid-run without issue? 

Added Effect combines the status ailment of the Materia to either the weapon (inflicts, about 12% chance or so) or the armour (protects completely).

The documentation I used to have for the mod fell more and more out of date over time. The current one is like a placeholder of sorts.

2.0 is in the works, but it won't be compatible with save files from 1.5 as I've reworked the unused variables that NT uses in the mod to add additional drops, rescript scenes, etc. A 2.0 save file will be compatible with a vanilla game, but not with the 1.5 build unfortunately. As for timeframe for release, I'm not sure. Several weeks is my best guess.