Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838890 times)

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #5475 on: 2017-06-15 06:37:35 »
Oh most definitely. I've already seen how well Cait Sith, and Yuffie do on my first run. I'll definitely be trying out Cid, Red XIII and Vincent at some point.  However you'll have to make some pretty good adjustments for me to take Aerith out of my group, at least for early game. Her healing staves are too good to pass up. Also question about those, does the healing on them scale off her magic or strength? Cause I've been tempted to make a strength build on her just because of those staves. Them with a Lvl 1 Slash-all is so good. And hey, even if it levels to Flash, now she can insta-kill things so it's K.
I use the "Mega-All" materia with Aerith when I get hold of it. As she is also a strong magic user, it's quite useful for her in either role, and the Mega All doesn't need to be linked to any other materia in order for it to do its work.

As for her healing staves, they're physical attacks, so Strength does benefit her there with that.

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: 2017-06-15 07:19:31 »
I have joined the party!

I may create a thread to record as a personal blog in the general discussion forum but here are my preliminary thoughts ( I am only about to fight Guard Scorpion so I don't have much to say, except that  I am very excited to see what you have in store for me.

I have noticed that the early levels go by MUCH quicker in this game.... I remember it was a task to get to level 11 before fighting guard scorpion (most people were around Level 13 arriving at shinra entrance.) I am about to be level 11 and I only grinded <_--- that doesnt sound right.... for about 10 minutes... I am not sure what to expect from the mod yet so I am just preparing a little bit until I get a good feel of which direction this game is going in terms of difficulty.

last time i played Final Fantasy VII modded was nightmare but i barely touched that mod because I had some issues using it in conjunction with bootleg (and I didnt know about 7th heaven or perhaps it was before 7th heaven was introduced, i don't recall.) and before that was GJoraluvs hardcore mod which I ended up cheating at some point because there was a huge difficulty spike out of nowhere and I was not prepared for it (i was not looking for too much of a challenge back than.)

this time I'm good either way... a small difficulty rise, a medium one, or even an insane difficulty rise.... I am just going with the flow and enjoying the ride.

EDIT: HEH, as soon as my characters reached level 11  I saw a huge spike in experience required for next level...... so my guess is these huge rises are saying you have grinded enough for this part of the game. please proceed to the next area/dungeon/boss

EDIT2: Okay so Level 11 to 12 required 1.1k experience , but level 12 to 13 requires  only 500 exp.. is this correct or is there a problem?
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 07:41:41 by ZaruenKosai »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: 2017-06-15 09:03:13 »
EDIT: HEH, as soon as my characters reached level 11  I saw a huge spike in experience required for next level...... so my guess is these huge rises are saying you have grinded enough for this part of the game. please proceed to the next area/dungeon/boss

EDIT2: Okay so Level 11 to 12 required 1.1k experience , but level 12 to 13 requires  only 500 exp.. is this correct or is there a problem?

That is correct. The game has sharp level requirements at certain levels. Mostly for ensuring that characters are the appropriate levels for the areas they are fighting in, as the amount of time it takes to pass those spiked level requirements are usually the same amount of time it takes to get through various areas.

Also, as a new player, I felt I should tell you that the game makes use of common, uncommon, and rare steals with some of the creatures in the game. If you want a list for that sort of thing, the main zip file includes various documents talking about what those things are and where you can find them.

Also, make sure you have also applied the two extra 'fixes' on the first page. The "Scene.bin HotFix" & "HotFix Flevel" downloads. They address various mistakes and bugs that can be found in the game that wasn't corrected in the main installer (most of us posting in this thread are doing the bug reports for Sega Chief so he can fix those things once he knows where the problems are).
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 09:04:46 by Robo Jesus »

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: 2017-06-15 09:46:52 »
That is correct. The game has sharp level requirements at certain levels. Mostly for ensuring that characters are the appropriate levels for the areas they are fighting in, as the amount of time it takes to pass those spiked level requirements are usually the same amount of time it takes to get through various areas.

Also, as a new player, I felt I should tell you that the game makes use of common, uncommon, and rare steals with some of the creatures in the game. If you want a list for that sort of thing, the main zip file includes various documents talking about what those things are and where you can find them.

Also, make sure you have also applied the two extra 'fixes' on the first page. The "Scene.bin HotFix" & "HotFix Flevel" downloads. They address various mistakes and bugs that can be found in the game that wasn't corrected in the main installer (most of us posting in this thread are doing the bug reports for Sega Chief so he can fix those things once he knows where the problems are).

I was under the impression the IRO version (April 2017) already came with these hotfixes applied or am I wrong?

I use 7th heaven mod loader (which doesnt have the greatest compatibility but I am not using any of because/reunion  changes nor am I using any gameplay tweaks except for PHS/SAVE anywhere because sometimes I  am in a rush and have to stop playing on a moments notice and while I can leave the game running .. I prefer not to take any chances if my computer restarts (updates or randomly for some reason, or if there is a power outage)

the only bug I have encountered so far is guard hounds being spriteless (Reactor # 1 before you enter the main area, basically before you reach the area where barret joins your party.)

@ SEGA CHIEF

If you want feedback on a Personal &  Detailed level.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17666.msg251181#msg251181

I do not know how long I will keep this journal as I may eventually get bored of doing it when all I want to do is play the game but for now I'm having a good time and its pretty descriptive and detailed so you might enjoy taking a look at it.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 11:40:50 by ZaruenKosai »

NoPoet406

• View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: 2017-06-15 17:42:33 »
Hi all, I just joined up today. After putting 50 hours into the FFVII Hardcore mod, which was brilliant to begin with but simply becomes ridiculous (is it even doable without other mods?), I decided to try the New Threat mod. Overall, I am somewhat impressed, although the whole Guard Scorpion/escape thing felt like a deliberate troll rather than an interesting challenge - this will probably be a nightmare on the "new game+" difficulty. I do like the re-ordered materia (we FINALLY get another attack which damages MP!), and the difficulty does feel appropriately balanced after the annoying Sector 1 escape. And the re-ordered battles with new enemies are pretty nicely done!

I do feel that I'm missing something. One of the features is to level characters up in a customised way. But my characters are all around level 16, and apart from HP and MP, their stats are all the same as at level 8. In fact, I think Cloud's stats are getting worse. The closest I've seen to a "custom build" character is to give them an utterly crappy piece of armour which boosts either strength or magic. And apparently there are no Source items in the game either.

So... what's going on? Where is this amazing character customisation? The sector 7 pillar has just collapsed, so I'm assuming there is a shop or character or ability which becomes available soon?

Oh, and also: do we really have to answer four security questions each time we make a post? Really?
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 17:47:04 by NoPoet406 »

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: 2017-06-15 17:58:58 »
I do feel that I'm missing something. One of the features is to level characters up in a customised way. But my characters are all around level 16, and apart from HP and MP, their stats are all the same as at level 8. In fact, I think Cloud's stats are getting worse. The closest I've seen to a "custom build" character is to give them an utterly crappy piece of armour which boosts either strength or magic. And apparently there are no Source items in the game either.

So... what's going on? Where is this amazing character customisation? The sector 7 pillar has just collapsed, so I'm assuming there is a shop or character or ability which becomes available soon?

The character customization doesn't come up until Mythril Cave after you get out of Midgar. That is where you will get Source items. You won't find them anywhere else in game.

Oh, and also: do we really have to answer four security questions each time we make a post? Really?

I think that is only there for your first couple of posts. Post a few more times and it should go away, it's mainly to prevent bot spam and lazy trolls.

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: 2017-06-15 19:44:32 »

I was under the impression the IRO version (April 2017) already came with these hotfixes applied or am I wrong?
Usually you can tell which one is the 'most recent' by its date, but the "Scene.bin HotFix" & "HotFix Flevel" downloads deal with fixing very different things in the game (hence why one of them is over a 100 MB, and one of them is less than a single megabyte).

When the "Main" installer has a date that is more recent than the two fixes, that's when the various 'fixes' have been integrated into the main installer and you don't need to deal with the Scene.bin or Flevel fix updates.

As I've never dealt with the IRO version, and the date you have given is more recent than the links provided in the first page, you probably are ok, but anytime the listed dates change with the patches (I.E. they become more recent, and are more 'new' then the main installer), you might want to install the patches anyways as new bugs were found/reported/patched. :shrugs:

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: 2017-06-15 23:09:08 »
is there a list of morph\steal items for this mod somewhere I can find.. I know it may be kind of cheating but I prefer to know this kind of thing so as to not waste time testing morph/steal a thousand times ( especially for the rares) .. it's too tedious for me and I would rather know beforehand, it's something I've always researched in games to know where the good steals/morphs are... 

I tried using proud clod but it only shows the vanilla morphs and steals , not the New Threat Ones.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 23:12:00 by ZaruenKosai »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: 2017-06-15 23:42:53 »
is there a list of morph\steal items for this mod somewhere I can find.. I know it may be kind of cheating but I prefer to know this kind of thing so as to not waste time testing morph/steal a thousand times ( especially for the rares) .. it's too tedious for me and I would rather know beforehand, it's something I've always researched in games to know where the good steals/morphs are... 

I tried using proud clod but it only shows the vanilla morphs and steals , not the New Threat Ones.
As I've never dealt with IRO and don't know if it came with the text documents, I'll give you instructions for how to grab those text documents from the main installer instead. In the download link for zip file for the main installer on the first page, included in the zip file are the sort of documents you asked for, along with other various details. So download that (it's on average around 150MB~), unzip it, and then open up the folders for those text files.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-15 23:44:33 by Robo Jesus »

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: 2017-06-16 00:05:39 »
As I've never dealt with IRO and don't know if it came with the text documents, I'll give you instructions for how to grab those text documents from the main installer instead. In the download link for zip file for the main installer on the first page, included in the zip file are the sort of documents you asked for, along with other various details. So download that (it's on average around 150MB~), unzip it, and then open up the folders for those text files.

Thank You! I had the IRO file so i was wondering why a readme wasnt included including those documents..

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: 2017-06-16 11:33:46 »
Ok, so I got to the ATM Scorpion fight in the Nibel mountains. Spotted problems right away, which I am now reporting.

First, the "Area" for the battle is showing the Corel Prison, and NOT the Nibelhiem Mountains.

Second, the text with Barret talking about "That damn thing showing up again" (though with more "$%#&^!") appeared even though Barret was not in my party (this earlier aspect made sense when the fight was in the Corel Prison where Barret was a 'locked' party member and sure to be in the fight, but it doesn't work here). That said, changing the name from "Barret" to "Cloud" would fix 'most' of the issues with that there (as Cloud is the party leader at that point with the fight being moved to the Mountains), and would be annoyed at it showing up as much as Barret would be.

Third, the Shinra mooks who show up on the map near the ATM Scorpion do not show up in the battle itself.

Fourth, you may need to raise the ATM's level and stats, as with it being the "Prison" battle moved elsewhere at the moment, the fight does not take long at all, and is not very difficult/challenging. :shrugs:

Edit; Also, on a seperate note, when I went and did Yuffie's scenario with the stolen materia and all that, I got a chance to grab all the pub fliers and then talk to the bar owner. One of the items he handed over however is notable due to it being spelled as "X-Mine". Not "S-Mine", but "X". Probably a misspelling (or the name of a much earlier item that was changed and the name of the item handed over by the turtle's paradise pub owner not being changed with it), so I had to say something so you know about that Sega.

Second Edit; When I got Cid, the text for his Innate ability showed something very different from what is listed in the "Readme" text file. Also, the "Readme" talks about how the Fort Condor materia shop has had its contents changed earlier in-game, but I'm on disk one, and that has not actually happened.

Third Edit; Speaking of issues with "Innate", Vincent does not gain MP as is stated in either the readme or the game. I'm not sure if his "Innate Ability" is actually doing anything at all to be honest. I'll test out Cid and Cait Sith in a few hours.

Also, in the Temple of the Ancients, you're gonna have to mess with Tseng's text box when he tells the party he doesn't need their help, as the text-box breaks with its current size.

Fourth Edit; Cait Sith has Vincent's MP regen, which means that if this is 'right', then the in-game and readme descriptions for Cait Sith (and Vincent's) Innate Ability need changed and updated. Cid's "Reactive Guard" Innate Ability has shown itself to work like the 'in-game' description says it should, but the readme text file for Cid will need updated here with that (as it doesn't show what Cid's Innate has been changed to at all).

Fifth Edit; Sepiroth's line of "Listen Well," before then going on about the ancients in the Temple of the Ancients is unreadable. The text box is far too small for the text being displayed there. The first "Wake Up" line is somewhat too small as well, though not unreadable like the "Listen well" bit.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-17 11:13:36 by Robo Jesus »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: 2017-06-17 11:28:36 »
Ok, so I got to the ATM Scorpion fight in the Nibel mountains. Spotted problems right away, which I am now reporting.

First, the "Area" for the battle is showing the Corel Prison, and NOT the Nibelhiem Mountains.

Second, the text with Barret talking about "That damn thing showing up again" (though with more "$%#&^!") appeared even though Barret was not in my party (this earlier aspect made sense when the fight was in the Corel Prison where Barret was a 'locked' party member and sure to be in the fight, but it doesn't work here). That said, changing the name from "Barret" to "Cloud" would fix 'most' of the issues with that there (as Cloud is the party leader at that point with the fight being moved to the Mountains), and would be annoyed at it showing up as much as Barret would be.

Third, the Shinra mooks who show up on the map near the ATM Scorpion do not show up in the battle itself.

Fourth, you may need to raise the ATM's level and stats, as with it being the "Prison" battle moved elsewhere at the moment, the fight does not take long at all, and is not very difficult/challenging. :shrugs:

Edit; Also, on a seperate note, when I went and did Yuffie's scenario with the stolen materia and all that, I got a chance to grab all the pub fliers and then talk to the bar owner. One of the items he handed over however is notable due to it being spelled as "X-Mine". Not "S-Mine", but "X". Probably a misspelling (or the name of a much earlier item that was changed and the name of the item handed over by the turtle's paradise pub owner not being changed with it), so I had to say something so you know about that Sega.

Second Edit; When I got Cid, the text for his Innate ability showed something very different from what is listed in the "Readme" text file. Also, the "Readme" talks about how the Fort Condor materia shop has had its contents changed earlier in-game, but I'm on disk one, and that has not actually happened.

Third Edit; Speaking of issues with "Innate", Vincent does not gain MP as is stated in either the readme or the game. I'm not sure if his "Innate Ability" is actually doing anything at all to be honest. I'll test out Cid and Cait Sith in a few hours.

Also, in the Temple of the Ancients, you're gonna have to mess with Tseng's text box when he tells the party he doesn't need their help, as the text-box breaks with its current size.

Fourth Edit; Cait Sith has Vincent's MP regen, which means that if this is 'right', then the in-game and readme descriptions for Cait Sith (and Vincent's) Innate Ability need changed and updated. Cid's "Reactive Guard" Innate Ability has shown itself to work like the 'in-game' description says it should, but the readme text file for Cid will need updated here with that (as it doesn't show what Cid's Innate has been changed to at all).

Fifth Edit; Sepiroth's line of "Listen Well," before then going on about the ancients in the Temple of the Ancients is unreadable. The text box is far too small for the text being displayed there. The first "Wake Up" line is somewhat too small as well, though not unreadable like the "Listen well" bit.

I've caught these for 1.5; Vincent/Cait's innates were swapped, but the text wasn't updated in 1.4.

Ice30

• View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: 2017-06-17 11:40:15 »
Hey Sega. Sorry to report another issue.

I am doing the dark cave side quest and have got up to the point where I fight the Guard scorpion. I am able to fight him as normal until his tail is raised, once it goes down again the game seems to hang. Everything is running but no commands or attacks are executed. I think my only hope is to try and kill him before he can raise his tail to avoid this crash.

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: 2017-06-17 12:12:22 »
I've caught these for 1.5; Vincent/Cait's innates were swapped, but the text wasn't updated in 1.4.
Gotcha.

Anyways, another minor problem with regards to text. You need to mess with the text box size for the "Ahh, but I already have" line Sephy has near the end of the Temple of the Ancients after it's been shrunk. That line is unreadable as-is. I'll keep doing my thing here and reporting anything that stands out in my play-through here incase someone didn't mention it before. ;D

Leucocyte

• View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: 2017-06-17 14:29:36 »
(Steam Version)

I'm having an issue just before going into the Northern Crater / post-Hojo fight.

Just after Cloud and Tifa wake up they chat for a bit, then when Tifa is looking at the Highwind descending/Cloud is still sitting (she broke his crotch) a dialogue box for Tifa pops up and the game freezes, but doesn't crash/end the program.

This has happened on a clean install with the main file, then a clean install with the main file and the two hotfixes.

Just trying to get a screen shot with a clean install but it's quite time consuming cause I need to do the Hojo fight then all the pre-crater dialogue, not sure if it'll help as there's no sort of system/graphical event to show a specific error.

Any ideas, anyone?

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5490 on: 2017-06-17 15:01:37 »
A question about what stats do .. I just reached fort condor and I plan on power leveling a bit to gain some ranks (yes I love to grind  to reduce challenge .. sorry but its just one of my strategies.) so I am curious about which ways I should build my characters...

Firstly, ever since I started playing action rpg games.. i  changed the way I play all RPGs.... when I am given a choice.> i usually try to stack power on everyone and turn them into either power tanks or glass cannons....

dexterity ---> affects hit % and dodge % ... does it affect the frequency that characters get turns?
luck ---> how big of an effect does it have on critical strikes?

I am just trying to figure out whether I should Stack certain characters with strength +dexterity or luck) (if the character has that option.)

\\Cloud Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/MAG, +5 VIT
Set #2: +10 VIT/SPR, +5 MAG
Set #3: +10 DEX/LCK, +5 STR
Set #4: +5 All Stats

Set # 1 seems to suit my playstyle.... however if dexterity affects how often you get to attack and luck has a big enough impact on critical strikes.. than Set # 3 may a good alternative.

\\Barret Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/VIT, +5 SPR
Set #2: +10 STR/SPR, +5 MAG
Set #3: +10 STR/LCK, +5 DEX
Set #4: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 VIT

Set # 1 seems pretty good to develop Barret as  a Power Tank but again , Set # 3 may work as well if Luck + Dex have large enough impacts on Turn Speed and Critical Hits.
\\Tifa Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/DEX, +5 SPR
Set #2: +10 STR/SPR, +5 VIT
Set #3: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 STR
Set #4: +10 DEX/LCK, +5 STR
Set # 1  looks right,  but Set # 2 may work if dex/ luck dont impact alot. and Set # 4 may be the better option if they do have a big enough impact.

\\Aeris Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 MAG/SPR, +5 DEX
Set #2: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 LCK
Set #3: +10 MAG/VIT, +5 SPR
Set #4: +10 STR/VIT, +5 MAG

Set # 4  is the only Style that suits me.

\\Red Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/MAG, +5 DEX
Set #2: +10 STR/DEX, +5 SPR
Set #3: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 VIT
Set #4: +5 All Stats

Set # 2 Seems to be the only Style that suits my Method.

\\Yuffie Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 STR
Set #2: +10 STR/LCK, +5 DEX
Set #3: +10 MAG/SPR, +5 DEX
Set #4: +10 STR/VIT, +5 LCK

Set # 2 seems to be the way to go unless Dex/Luck do not make a big impact.. in which case, Set # 4 seems like it would be a better option to provide yuffie with some defense.

\\Cait Sith Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/SPR, +5 LCK
Set #2: +10 STR/LCK, +5 VIT
Set #3: +10 MAG/SPR, +5 LCK
Set #4: +10 MAG/LCK, +5 STR

Either Set # 1 or Set # 2 depending on the answers to my questions.

\\Vincent Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 MAG/VIT, +5 STR
Set #2: +10 STR/VIT, +5 DEX
Set #3: +10 MAG/SPR, +5 LCK
Set #4: +10 STR/MAG, +5 SPR

Set # 2 seems like the only Viable option for Vincent (for my playing style)

\\Cid Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 STR/VIT, +5 LCK
Set #2: +10 STR/LCK, +5 SPR
Set #3: +10 MAG/LCK, +5 VIT
Set #4: +10 STR/SPR, +5 DEX

Set # 1 / # 2 or Set # 4 all seem viable for El Cid.

In the end it really boils down to how big of an impact Dexterity has on Turn Order/Dodge% and Luck on Critical Strikes... so please get back to me about this as soon as possible.. I await your answers before I continue playing. :)

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: 2017-06-17 16:14:44 »
A question about what stats do .. I just reached fort condor and I plan on power leveling a bit to gain some ranks (yes I love to grind  to reduce challenge .. sorry but its just one of my strategies.) so I am curious about which ways I should build my characters...

Firstly, ever since I started playing action rpg games.. i  changed the way I play all RPGs.... when I am given a choice.> i usually try to stack power on everyone and turn them into either power tanks or glass cannons....

dexterity ---> affects hit % and dodge % ... does it affect the frequency that characters get turns?

Yes, I did nothing but buff Tifa's Dex and and strength and she was extremely fast. Her ATB bar filled much faster than everyone else's.

luck ---> how big of an effect does it have on critical strikes?

It has a great deal of an effect on crits, it also has an effect on hit rate kind of. The crit hit rate equations factor before the normal hit rate so if you are going to hit with a crit it's going to hit before their evasion is factored into it. (there's more to it I just know the basics) I think it also adds to your evasion as well.

I am just trying to figure out whether I should Stack certain characters with strength +dexterity or luck) (if the character has that option.)

A strength dexterity build works fantastically. I had it for Tifa and she absolutely demolished everything, but she was also quite squishy so I had to have a tank with Cover to protect her from attacks.

\\Aeris Rank Up Options//

Set #1: +10 MAG/SPR, +5 DEX
Set #2: +10 MAG/DEX, +5 LCK
Set #3: +10 MAG/VIT, +5 SPR
Set #4: +10 STR/VIT, +5 MAG

Set # 4  is the only Style that suits me.

From what I understand 4 works really well if you focus using her healing staves. The higher strength she has the more she will heal when she bonks a party member. The extra vit and magic will also make her be able to survive and still pull out some really damaging spells if need be. Course you can also just physically bonk people with her staves, that works too.

In the end it really boils down to how big of an impact Dexterity has on Turn Order/Dodge% and Luck on Critical Strikes... so please get back to me about this as soon as possible.. I await your answers before I continue playing. :)

Dex and luck are very noticeable in this. Especially the further on you get, and if you specify equipment that boost their already high stats. I planned on doing a Luck Dex build on Yuffie because she's already so fast and the extra dodge chance would compliment her passive quite well potentially making her into a Dodge Tank.

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: 2017-06-17 22:11:16 »
Yes, I did nothing but buff Tifa's Dex and and strength and she was extremely fast. Her ATB bar filled much faster than everyone else's.

It has a great deal of an effect on crits, it also has an effect on hit rate kind of. The crit hit rate equations factor before the normal hit rate so if you are going to hit with a crit it's going to hit before their evasion is factored into it. (there's more to it I just know the basics) I think it also adds to your evasion as well.

A strength dexterity build works fantastically. I had it for Tifa and she absolutely demolished everything, but she was also quite squishy so I had to have a tank with Cover to protect her from attacks.

From what I understand 4 works really well if you focus using her healing staves. The higher strength she has the more she will heal when she bonks a party member. The extra vit and magic will also make her be able to survive and still pull out some really damaging spells if need be. Course you can also just physically bonk people with her staves, that works too.

Dex and luck are very noticeable in this. Especially the further on you get, and if you specify equipment that boost their already high stats. I planned on doing a Luck Dex build on Yuffie because she's already so fast and the extra dodge chance would compliment her passive quite well potentially making her into a Dodge Tank.

Choices!

Thank you for the clarificatiom.... I am glad they have a noticeable impact...  If only there was a way to respec later on (or reset the ranks and begin fresh, even if you had to  start from rank 0 and work your way back up.. it would be cool to try out different builds on the same file.

either way I am glad that i have so much more different build choices (it will make  things a lot more interesting.)

Up nunti this point... My characters felt so weak doing only 100 - 200 damage from the beginning of the game until now.

The impact of these stats and build choices kind of makes me feel like I'm playing an action rpg ( where you could go for attack speed / Crit Builds and/or have dodge tanks instead of defense tanks

EDIT: I just completed the first condor battle..

2 quickies.

1 materia shop is still selling basic materia (your read me says hes supposed to sell more advanced materia.)
2 do you have a shop list  i can compare to make sure my shops are correct?

it has made me nervous to think that other shops are not stocking revised inventories.... :S

also .. are the junon leagues available on your first arrival or do you have to come back at a later time to access them.. they say im too grean at the beginners hall so I am guessing its because I have to come back later on (buggy\tiny bronco?)

2 more questions about costa del sol... (firstly wow I love the new scenes here... (and the restored content had an  awesome punch line.)

so yeah can you buy the villa  if you already spoke to the guy and didnt have enough money? (he only says is this some kind of joke now with no  choice to allow me to buy it...) (and do the items in the villa basement change if you buy it before opening them?
« Last Edit: 2017-06-18 17:57:53 by ZaruenKosai »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: 2017-06-19 04:39:11 »
also .. are the junon leagues available on your first arrival or do you have to come back at a later time to access them.. they say im too grean at the beginners hall so I am guessing its because I have to come back later on (buggy\tiny bronco?)

2 more questions about costa del sol... (firstly wow I love the new scenes here... (and the restored content had an  awesome punch line.)

so yeah can you buy the villa  if you already spoke to the guy and didnt have enough money? (he only says is this some kind of joke now with no  choice to allow me to buy it...) (and do the items in the villa basement change if you buy it before opening them?
The Junon Leagues are available once you get the Bronco. The Villa becomes purchasable once you have enough Gil. The Villa items, last time that I checked at any rate (so this 'may' have been changed, but I'm doubtful about it having been changed), remain as they are throughout the game. That said, once you buy the Villa, there is a chance NPC's will show up to hand off new items and all that, but it's been a long while since last I thought of that, so I've kind of forgotten what exactly they handed off to you when they show up. :shrugs:

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: 2017-06-19 07:10:10 »
The Junon Leagues are available once you get the Bronco. The Villa becomes purchasable once you have enough Gil. The Villa items, last time that I checked at any rate (so this 'may' have been changed, but I'm doubtful about it having been changed), remain as they are throughout the game. That said, once you buy the Villa, there is a chance NPC's will show up to hand off new items and all that, but it's been a long while since last I thought of that, so I've kind of forgotten what exactly they handed off to you when they show up. :shrugs:

Thank you for answering!

By the way SegaChief , I just reached gongaga and have my first complaint.>

i do not like the boxers with their chain bomb attacks... morphing them seems impossible.

got any tips? :P

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: 2017-06-19 09:06:39 »
Thank you for answering!

By the way SegaChief , I just reached gongaga and have my first complaint.>

i do not like the boxers with their chain bomb attacks... morphing them seems impossible.

got any tips? :P
Start with "Sleep" + "Slow" (and/or + "Stop"). Either items or magic that have those effects work best against them from what I've found. Then use magic and items to take down its HP to around the point where you can safely Morph it and it won't have enough time to knock away the entire party.

Anyways, odd details time. I'm on disk two, just got the Highwind, Tifa is party leader. Went into the Junon Mines just because. Anyways, when I got to the 'unique' save point there, I clicked on it, and Cloud's name and "What is this anyways?" line showed up.

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: 2017-06-19 15:13:01 »
Start with "Sleep" + "Slow" (and/or + "Stop"). Either items or magic that have those effects work best against them from what I've found. Then use magic and items to take down its HP to around the point where you can safely Morph it and it won't have enough time to knock away the entire party.

Anyways, odd details time. I'm on disk two, just got the Highwind, Tifa is party leader. Went into the Junon Mines just because. Anyways, when I got to the 'unique' save point there, I clicked on it, and Cloud's name and "What is this anyways?" line showed up.

Ahhh , yes I should have realized.. status effects are going to start becoming part of the strategies in later fights.. cant just mindlessly attack everything anymore.. I will be sure to put my materia thinking cap on for the rest of the game... :) Thanks for lighting the bulb with the tip :)

So  I have made a couple of observations.

Strength <---- Best Offensive Stat for Physical Based Builds
Magic <--- Best Offensive Stat  for Magic Based Builds.
Vitality <----  Great For Physical Tanks (Not Sure how many enemies use magic later in the game but trying to find a balance between Vitality and Spirit Seems like a Safe Bet.)
Spirit <--- Great for Magical Tanks (Seems more useful late game when enemies use stronger magic more often. Balance Between Vitality for Best Results.)
Dexterity <---- While it makes your ATB bar fill up much quicker... What I have noticed is that well.... no matter what your characters almost always onlly get 1 turn before the enemy gets to go... so really not as useful as I thought. Someone feel free to prvoe me wrong but from what I have gathered, I have never seen a character stacked with dexterity go twice before the enemy goes once.)
Luck <--- While useful early game, I find it also somewhat useless because end-game weapons all have 100% Crit (Plus you can craft the masamune which has amazing damage + Auto Crit)

So it seems like dexterity/luck builds are not as cool as I once thought.... (I could definitely be wrong though but for my current playthrough I have decided to avoid building dexterity\luck.

The best way to build characters seems to be to focus on strength or magic no matter what...  and raising vitality\spirit when possible.) (thats not to say you cant raise dex and luck using equipment but I would not focus on them.. they are truly secondary stats... wheras Strength\Magic are Primary Offensive and Vitality\Spirit are Primary Defensive

EDIT : Also for most random battles the extra atb charge speed is not really needed (or you can use sprint shoes once you get them unless they are not in this mod.)
 and for boss battles you can just all + Time and cast haste on all your party members .. as haste pretty much caps the atb charging speed.. well close enough that i  think difference between a hasted character with 255 DEX will not be much faster than a hasted character with 100 Dex Or less.

EDIT 2 : However Dexterity may actually be useful for dodge% .. i completely forgot that it affects your dodge rate.. although it only affects physical dodge.. not magical dodge.  Still alot more useful than I thought.. since most attacks  are physical (though like i said, Possibly Towards the end of disc 1 and or disc 2.. enemies may start using magic alot more often in the mod. im not sure.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-19 15:49:23 by ZaruenKosai »

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: 2017-06-19 15:50:08 »
Ahhh , yes I should have realized.. status effects are going to start becoming part of the strategies in later fights.. cant just mindlessly attack everything anymore.. I will be sure to put my materia thinking cap on for the rest of the game... :) Thanks for lighting the bulb with the tip :)

So  I have made a couple of observations.

Strength <---- Best Offensive Stat for Physical Based Builds
Magic <--- Best Offensive Stat  for Magic Based Builds.
Vitality <----  Great For Physical Tanks (Not Sure how many enemies use magic later in the game but trying to find a balance between Vitality and Spirit Seems like a Safe Bet.)
Spirit <--- Great for Magical Tanks (Seems more useful late game when enemies use stronger magic more often. Balance Between Vitality for Best Results.)
Dexterity <---- While it makes your ATB bar fill up much quicker... What I have noticed is that well.... no matter what your characters almost always onlly get 1 turn before the enemy gets to go... so really not as useful as I thought. Someone feel free to prvoe me wrong but from what I have gathered, I have never seen a character stacked with dexterity go twice before the enemy goes once.)
Luck <--- While useful early game, I find it also somewhat useless because end-game weapons all have 100% Crit (Plus you can craft the masamune which has amazing damage + Auto Crit)

So it seems like dexterity/luck builds are not as cool as I once thought.... (I could definitely be wrong though but for my current playthrough I have decided to avoid building dexterity\luck.

The best way to build characters seems to be to focus on strength or magic no matter what...  and raising vitality\spirit when possible.) (thats not to say you cant raise dex and luck using equipment but I would not focus on them.. they are truly secondary stats... wheras Strength\Magic are Primary Offensive and Vitality\Spirit are Primary Defensive

EDIT : Also for most random battles the extra atb charge speed is not really needed (or you can use sprint shoes once you get them unless they are not in this mod.)
 and for boss battles you can just all + Time and cast haste on all your party members .. as haste pretty much caps the atb charging speed.. well close enough that i  think difference between a hasted character with 255 DEX will not be much faster than a hasted character with 100 Dex Or less.

I've definitely had Tifa go twice before a lot of the bosses had one turn, in normal battles not so much though.

Not every ultimate weapon is 100% crit chance. They all give 50 to your attack (i think) and then their special features boost your strength a lot, but they don't give you 100% Crit. Masamune is the the only one that gives both 50 attack and 255 hit chance along with Auto Crits.

While Haste is super good at making your characters faster, it also makes your Barrier and Mbarrier drain faster. It also effects other status effects like slow-numb and death sentence. I think it also effects dual-drain which is why Mustard Bomb does Haste + Dual-Drain but I might be wrong. Haste is a double edged sword in this mod cause especially for late game bosses you NEED to have Wall up constantly or you WILL get destroyed. It got to the point where I would cast slow on my team sometimes just to make sure I'll survive when I get hit with certain attacks.

ZaruenKosai

• View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: 2017-06-19 16:10:46 »
I've definitely had Tifa go twice before a lot of the bosses had one turn, in normal battles not so much though.

Not every ultimate weapon is 100% crit chance. They all give 50 to your attack (i think) and then their special features boost your strength a lot, but they don't give you 100% Crit. Masamune is the the only one that gives both 50 attack and 255 hit chance along with Auto Crits.

While Haste is super good at making your characters faster, it also makes your Barrier and Mbarrier drain faster. It also effects other status effects like slow-numb and death sentence. I think it also effects dual-drain which is why Mustard Bomb does Haste + Dual-Drain but I might be wrong. Haste is a double edged sword in this mod cause especially for late game bosses you NEED to have Wall up constantly or you WILL get destroyed. It got to the point where I would cast slow on my team sometimes just to make sure I'll survive when I get hit with certain attacks.

So thats why my Barrier\MBarriers were going down so fast... I was wondering why I had to keep reapplying them so fast on bosses.. Good to know. Good to know!

I just performed further  testing by placing tifa alone in the party (No cloud or other characters.)

Your right that there are often times where tifa will go twice  in between the enemys attacks ... but in larger groups of enemies (or smaller sized ones.. the bonus will become less noticeable.)

as for dodge% ... same thing... smaller monsters tend to hit pretty often even when she has 113% Defense Rating (talking physical attacks.)

but medium size and larger enemies will definitely miss ALOT ...

and yes your right about luck... the ultimate weapons do not have 100% Crit rate.. only masamune which is a super end game crafted weapon.

so yes luck is still useful.. though there are some items that can up luck by quite a bit (compared to vitality\spirit )..

Dex\Luck Definitely works much better than I initially thought..

Dexterity wont make you attack 5 times in between 1 enemy turn but it does speed your character up and combined with the dodge% it provides its definitely very useful if that is your playing style.

I think the conclusion i have come to... is you can build your whichever way .. and you dont have to worry about being hampered too much....

Crit Chance = Luck\4   <--- Is this correct?

255 Luck = 63% Crit Chance?
« Last Edit: 2017-06-19 19:13:46 by ZaruenKosai »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: 2017-06-19 19:20:52 »
I was fighting Protoroth a few days ago, and I saw something odd happen. He used one of his magic attacks that turned Aeris into a Frog, and when I went to cast a spell, I noticed that Pearl was the only spell that she could cast. I know that Frog is supposed to disable magic and limits, so it seems a little weird. Is this supposed to happen??

On another note, in regards to the mod you're starting on for FF8, did you know there's an unused enemy called "Dummy"? Do you think that enemy can somehow be restored for the mod as an optional superboss or something?? Just an idea I had.
It just clicked there. Someone reported this before but I had no idea what it was. When you're a Frog, I think you can still cast the spell Frog to change yourself back...but Pearl replaced this spell and that's why it's still usable. Must be an index thing.

I dunno if Dummy is functional or not. I'll be focusing on just getting the framework of the mod together, so probably no new enemies for the alpha build. There's no model editor (that I know of) and the enemies use textures which makes things awkward. I can't just bolt and shape parts together like I do in FF7 with Kimera.
...have you thought about having some fun with that? Like a "Princely Frog" type enemy showing up at some point and throwing around "Pearls" at the party while asking for a 'kiss'?  :P

...oh dear, now I can't help but imagine this hypothetical enemy as Corneo reincarnated while it 'hits' on everyone there. :-D :P

...oh gods, Don Corneo died in Wutai. "Fused" 'reincarnation' is also a 'thing' in-setting. The Materia Cave in Wutai? It has a "Royal Presence" once you grab the Materia there. The joke almost writes itself. :-D :P

EDIT; Anyways, I've spent the past few hours messing around with Vincent, and spent some time thinking about what I've observed for my own plays with him here. First, the fact that his limits take so little to 'hit' a full limit gauge, combined with the reduction in weapons with 255% hit rate (and the one standard weapon with that being so 'late-game'), means I dislike using Vincent here in comparison to the other characters I have on-hand.

His limit breaks are situational, generally best served for helping get rid of random battle mooks, but the lack of control, combined with how easy his limits fill, combined with how unworkable "Deathblow" is, combined with the "Vincent Mug Glitch", well, all of that makes me pull out and use any other character available.

The only saving grace is his high magic stat, but Aeris and Cait Sith make much better casters here due to the equipment and innate's they have to use, and the random HP heals Vincent gets do not help with that. Vincent's magic is very strong, but I tend to only pull out magic with bosses and problem mooks, as I usually have neither the Gil or items to justify mass-spell usage for most random battles (though anywhere it speeds things up or helps me deal with problem enemies? Oh yes do I use magic en mass in those contexts). The other FF7 games where Vincent appears in them are not very useful for determining what I could suggest his "Innate" could be changed to due to the game-engine and equipment setup making the things that appeared in the other games unworkable ('controllable transformations' and 'high accuracy' for those wondering, which is not really feasible here).

That presents problems with using Vincent. I can't rely on him as a standard long-range 'fighter' due to his limit gauge filling so fast. He has some use as a Caster, but the other characters available are usually better due to equipment or innates, and Vincent's Limit Breaks are situational.

I'm finding it frustrating to find a setup that works well here with Vincent.

Above all, I think 'slowing down' how fast his limit break fills would alleviate most of his problems here. That said, there is a small thought running in the back of my head, wondering how Vincent's playability would change if we were to use his limit break as part of his innate. Like, perhaps by having Vincent's Limit increase his defensive stats, as one example. Make his limit break the hardest to fill, and make him harder to kill (more defenses) the more it fills up (thematically tying the nature of the creatures bound to him with the power it gives him the closer he is to 'unleashing' them). It would turn the weaknesses of his limit breaks into something of a double-edged sword there, and allow him usefulness in either a strength based or magical role setup without his "Limits" hindering things as much as they are doing as they currently are.

SECOND EDIT; Ok, I'm at Rocket Town, right before the launch. My party consists of Cloud, Aerith, and Cid. The Punmaster is doing his routine, but Aerith's field model is not showing up. I doublechecked all the other characters, and their field models appear in the room when the punishment begins, but not Aerith's.

So had to say something incase no one had said anything about that before.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-20 03:45:13 by Robo Jesus »