Author Topic: Gauging interest in WM Walkmesh Editor  (Read 3136 times)

codemann8

• View Profile
Gauging interest in WM Walkmesh Editor
« on: 2019-02-13 16:14:59 »
I'm looking to gauge how much interest there would be in a World Map Walkmesh editor.  If so, I'll modify the naming of this topic appropriately to match the usual convention.

This editor would entail modding some of the things I've uncovered recently and documented in this topic, specifically around changing which terrains have encounters.

This editor will modify:
  • Mesh Triangle Coordinates
  • Adding/removing triangles
  • Texture references and UV mapping
  • Walkmesh statuses (for purposes of vehicle/chocobo fencing...and also for encounter changes
  • WM encounter rates/formations and also which areas/statuses activate encounters
  • All 3 WMs (Overworld, underwater, and snowfield) {Unknown if more can be added}
  • Actual texture imaging (although I don't currently have a working understanding of that yet)
  • WM coordinate references (when leaving field maps and entering the world map) {I don't currently know how this is handled yet, but only a matter of time}
  • Not yet, but possibly the ability to change which map blocks get modified along the way, like the Junon UW crater
« Last Edit: 2019-02-13 16:26:26 by codemann8 »

codemann8

• View Profile
Re: Gauging interest in WM Walkmesh Editor
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-13 16:15:49 »
<reserved>

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-13 18:07:22 »
It'd be a super cool thing to have, just being able to modify the encounter table for different areas alone would be a handy feature.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-13 20:11:28 »
Such a thing has long been foretold by many prophets, but fate has not yet blessed us with it.

codemann8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-02-13 22:23:44 »
Anyone know what the complication is?  The way I see it, it doesn't seem all that hard to do.  The one thing I'm not too familiar on is how the PC stores the MAP file.  Nothing I'm envisioning involves increasing the size of any files, just simple byte-swapping.  Also, minor OPTIONAL patching of the EXE, but only as it pertains to enabling new terrains to have encounters.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-11 19:48:41 »
What ever happened to this? I would love to see this tool, considering there is nothing quite like this as of yet. In particular, being able to add encounters to areas of the world map which do not currently have any would be very intriguing to me (just changing around the encounters for areas of the world map that already enable random encounters can be done by hex editing). The world map(s) seem like one of the least well-documented/least easily modifiable parts of FF7.

codemann8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-04-25 22:17:31 »
Tbh, this topic "gauging interest" didn't really give me the large impression it was going to be a hit. I've got a number of projects on my plate so this definitely took the back seat.