Author Topic: to much FFVII hate  (Read 33420 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: to much FFVII hate
« Reply #50 on: 2010-08-15 23:50:25 »
Don't all threads like this just end on a mutual agreement that more recent FF games suck? (i.e. everything after X)

Can't we agree that all Final Fantasy games ever made suck? Or that all games suck? Or that everything sucks? That's how discussion works on the internet. You can trash things as much as you want, but if you dare say something good about anything, you'll meet the rage of a thousand burning suns. ;D
I like this post. It's a good post.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 2010-08-15 23:53:09 »
VII and Vi, huh? Well, the second half of 6 makes more sense than post-Whirlwind Maze 7, but Sephiroth is marginally better-filled out than Kefka. Both battle systems are equally wonky but exceedingly playable, the score for both is extraordinary, but 7 gets Chasing after the Black-Caped Man, J E N O V A and Great Warrior, although in its favor 6 gets a graphical style that has probably aged better. It's all moot, anyway, because:

GOD TIER

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics

SILVER TIER

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII (I love and hate it for its radical rejiggings of the RPG system - junction is such a great idea, it's all the more crushing when it becomes so horrifically broken)

BRONZE TIER
Final Fantasy IV (good game, but is it *great*?)
Final Fantasy V (Ah, Butz, I knew him well. Paper thin story but 1337 battle system and cool music thanks to Uematsu)
Final Fantasy - Tactics Advance (core mechanic is great, no story though, loses place in silver thanks to THAT BLOODY BLACK THREAD MISSION ITEM)
Final Fantasy - Tactics Advance 2 (FFTA - story + better balance - repetition = FFTA-2)

TWIGS AND LITTER TIER
Final Fantasy XII (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No.)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-08-16 00:02:30 »
GOD TIER: My tastes

FAGGOT TIER: Your tastes

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #53 on: 2010-08-16 00:37:04 »
>Various rankings
You know, I actually agree with most of that (apart from not having ever played V, VI nor any of the tactics games, so I can't judge). That's a pretty good way to put it, since I've never been able to definitively say what my favourite FF was.

Actually though I might switch IX for X, or at least put X up there with IX. VII is at the very top of my silver tier, though. 10's the only one which can almost bring me to tears with the ending.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-08-16 00:42:47 »
GOD TIER: 1 through 9

QUEER TIER: 10 onwards
« Last Edit: 2010-08-16 01:26:13 by Tekkie.X »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-08-16 00:54:05 »
You're all wrong about the tiers.

Best Tier
Almost all of them

"F*ck you, Square" Tier
Anything with a monthly fee.

Because having to pay over and over for a game is bull. At the very least, if they're gonna charge to play, they should give you the game for free.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-08-16 06:16:20 »
[just noticed 2-page trollbait thread]

Don't all threads like this just end on a mutual agreement that more recent FF games suck? (i.e. everything after X)

I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying FFVI sucks...that is all.
I liked it. It certainly wasn't as captivating as some of the others, and the game mechanics had some serious problems, but I still enjoyed it enough to almost beat it before tiring of it.

I found 13 to be my third favorite final fantasy...

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010-08-19 06:12:25 »
VII > XII > V > VIII > IV = IX > X = VI > III > I > II >> XI >>>>> X-2

FFXII defense force assemble!

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-08-19 17:33:21 »
VII > XII > V > VIII > IV = IX > X = VI > III > I > II >> XI >>>>> X-2

FFXII defense force assemble!

Its the equation to solve the meaning of life! Lol

My view? 7 is best, 9 is second, 10 is third, Then it moves to Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG and Secret of evermore and SoM's and Legend of Mana, but all 2d Final Fantasy ones are gay and were only fun to me when thats all I had,

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-09-14 08:34:37 »
Guise, I'm having a really lulzy argument on another forum. The mods will probably get involved sooner or later, but if not, we've got another Hermoor on our hands. ;D

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1169/t1572806-incident-at-end-of-disc-one-so-important-spoilers/

Search for the posts in orange.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-09-14 09:14:20 »
Kefka's past, as he illustrated it, was not official canon last time I checked.  From what I understand, the point of Kefka is that he does evil and crazy things for no reason.  I don't know where Kefka's backstory came from, but I doubt it came from the people who developed him.

The way he argues bothers me.  He treats Kefka like a real person, addressing things that didn't even happen in the game.  Kefka does not exist outside of the games that he appears in, nor does Sephiroth.  "Kefka had a very upsetting childhood!"  No he did not.  We don't see him as a child in the game and there is no indication that anything happened to knock him off his rocker.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-09-14 16:30:56 »
Sephiroth has that scary edge to him, Kefka isn't really scary at all. He's just creepy to me :/

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-09-14 16:47:54 »

Imagine Sephiroth walks out of a shadow, draws his sword, looks at you, and simply says "Hello", with a small smirk.
Now Imagine Kefka Walking out of a shadow, draws some random sword he found, looks at you, and says "Hello" with a smirk.

Which would be more likely to scare you?

(If I make no sense, is because I'm tired)

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-09-14 18:03:06 »
From what I've seen on GameFAQs it seems that the haters hate FF7 because their favorite Final Fantasy game doesn't get as much attention as it. And of course, there's also the obnoxious few (but very vocal) fans that FF7 has that would make others hate the game by extension.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-14 18:40:07 by Tuxedo »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-09-14 18:37:53 »
From what I've seen on GameFAQs it seems that the haters hates FF7 because their favorite Final Fantasy game doesn't get as much attention as it. And of course, there's also the obnoxious few (but very vocal) fans that FF7 has that would make others hate the game by extension.

This is the case on every site. As we saw with you-know-who and as we've seen countless other times, FF7 haters will always slip up and admit that they're pissed off that FF7 gets more attention than their favourite game. Hardly any FF7 haters actually hate the game itself. It's always about their game not getting the attention.

Imagine Sephiroth walks out of a shadow, draws his sword, looks at you, and simply says "Hello", with a small smirk.
Now Imagine Kefka Walking out of a shadow, draws some random sword he found, looks at you, and says "Hello" with a smirk.

Which would be more likely to scare you?

(If I make no sense, is because I'm tired)

But Kefka wouldn't do that. He'd burst out of the shadow, mince around for a while and then quote Hermoor.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-09-14 18:54:19 »
But Kefka wouldn't do that. He'd burst out of the shadow, mince around for a while and then quote Hermoor.

Thats what makes him so creepy. That and he looks like a Clown. It's hard to take him seriously.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-09-14 22:12:00 »
kefka looks like a drag queen, and honestly I'd be more afraid of what he would do to my butt rather than if he would take my life. Also, Sephiroth has genuine leadership/manipulation abilities which makes him scary, along with super human strength AND the help of an otherworldly being than can intertwine with your DNA.

no one would bother following a nut like kefka around, let alone help HIM dominate the world.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010-09-15 19:12:53 »
The difference between Kefka and Sephiroth is that Sephi had at least some character development.  I understood who he was.  Kefka was just some maniac and that was as far as it went.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010-09-16 03:37:07 »

I'm sorry, i felt the need to put these here.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #69 on: 2010-09-16 03:57:42 »
dear god kudis, you brutalized the guy on the other forum, seems to be only a hermoor wannabe, wasn't nearly as funny, though definately gave me laughs near the end.

remind me people, to NEVER get into an arguement with kudistos

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010-09-16 07:09:05 »

There there, Jaitsu-kun. If we get into an argument, I'll go easy on you.

*pats your head*

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2010-09-18 00:27:09 »
The difference between Kefka and Sephiroth is that Sephi had at least some character development.  I understood who he was.  Kefka was just some maniac and that was as far as it went.

I thought it was the other way around, actually. I mean, Kefka was at least funny and interesting while Sephiroth is just so... stoic. This is just me though, I was never really a fan of what people would call "badass" characters, I just see them as boring.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010-09-18 20:09:17 »
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1169/t1572806-incident-at-end-of-disc-one-so-important-spoilers/

Now this is some hysterical stuff Kudistos, that has got to be the single biggest a*s kick I've ever seen in my life!. I was wrong and there was no call for breaking out the "Argument pyramid". Hmmm (I shall study this Kudistos and learn his way) his arguments were deteriorating over time and I the insanity was begging to sprout, you almost created another Hermoor. Is it possible that someone can argue facts so well that they can in turn create a Hermmor? If so I believe Kudistos has found a way.

I not only agree with Kudistos I will take it step further...

Final Fantasy VI is the worst in the series!, for many reasons one of the biggest being (for me anyway) the encounter rate was jacked up to insane levels!!!. I am talking about a battle every other tile on field and probably every one or two seconds in dungeon. I find the story very pitiful the lack of depth to any character in the story (who is the main protagonist anyway?) including kefka is just an embarrassment to the series!. Final Fantasy games are usually known for there great influential story on the genre heck FFVII paved the was for JRPG's in the US but that garnishes no respect nowadays!. Instead in the quest to be different and "special" they jump on the FFVII hate bandwagon.It is deplorable to hate a game based on its popularity. Soon I plan to pull a Sarah Palin and "Restore FFVII Honor" tour around America ^_^ .

P.S I Hate Sarah Palin.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010-09-18 20:41:32 »
I thought VI was completely over-hyped (not sure if I wrote this before).    It boasted some very good gameplay,  good music, it had some very good aspects to it, but it fell apart in Story and as the above poster said, random battles were ridiculous.

I will talk about the story though:

VI plot is vastly overrated and so mediocre in fact that I can't even remember it- aside from some nutter who has NO PURPOSE for being evil other than being evil, taking over the world.  Such plot is in my opinion relegated to B division. Sephiroth and Seymour both had reasons to want power and Kuja had a reason to want to end it all. Ultimecia is the only other (up to FFX) who doesn't really have a reason to be evil (a background) but that doesn't excuse VI  which has a vague main plot in my opinion.  In the case of VIII there were also other antagonists like Seifer. 

I am a theif, I am evil, I might be your friend, I am a lover is NOT character development.  In fact Final Fantasy XII was imho the same thing, a bunch of "slapped on" synopsis masquerading as "deep story".

If the plot is so fantastic and great why is it when I ask people about the plot, the answer is small and vague?

If you can find me a plot synopsis that is as long as VII's, I will concede it rates but for whatever reason (perhaps technological limits of the time?), the story is extremely basic.

So, where does it rate against 7-10? certainly not next them in my book and certainly no way I could get a run of the mill gamer to sit down through it.

Not a chance.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-18 20:44:49 by DLPB »

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010-09-20 15:40:06 »

i started playing ff13 just today. the cutscenes are very cheesy, one after another. tidus and yuna 'laughing' in ffx still holds a top spot in that kind of rankning, imho. i think i'll agree there - games are becoming more cheesy, and more fanservice oriented due to better graphics. or rather more visuals-oriented altogether.

In fact Final Fantasy XII was imho the same thing, a bunch of "slapped on" synopsis masquerading as "deep story".
ff12 is set up in universe where vagrant story and final fantasy tactics also happen. so i cannot help but keep comparing one to another.

since it's a part of the series, a step back from "save-the-world" scheme is actually pretty natural. usually when you save the world in a final fantasy game there is nobody else left plotting to destroy it once again (well, except for ffx and ff7 sequels). if that would happen in ff12 it might make the other ivalice alliance games a bit pointless. it is also a nice change from the a bit worn out and boring formula.

as far as the plot is concerned, once again i have to compare it to vagrant story. that game had scarce and vague cutscenes. and yet people managed to come up with pretty long plot analysis for it. i suppose it is similar with ff12, although i must agree that the plot is somewhat loose and sometimes just goes away.