Author Topic: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"  (Read 24011 times)

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
Re: Thoughts about "Final Fantasy XIII"
« Reply #50 on: 2010-03-18 04:38:38 »
Got my copy of XIII last week, only started playing today. just got halfway to Ch.2 and got to the introduction of the new leveling system.

ITS A SPHERE GRID IN 3D!
f***, I hated the sphere grid. Maybe I won't get this game.

Well, there is no collecting spheres if that makes a difference for you... You just use your exchange your CP (Earned like EXP)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-03-18 04:41:04 »
The thing i like about this is you can level up a bit after every battle. No waiting to hit the next level for stat boosts.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #52 on: 2010-03-18 04:44:23 »
You obviously haven't gotten to chapter 11...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010-03-18 05:08:18 »

Nope not yet.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-03-18 11:48:53 »
Well you still have to meet cost requirement so if a fight gives you 1.5k and you need 8k it's not THAT easy, but still easy and often longer than it should be.

Perfect example of bad design of combat system.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #55 on: 2010-03-19 04:29:37 »

Nope not yet.

Costs 4000 per... And don't even get me started on learning new roles! Ha ha ha, hope I didn't scare you  ;) :-o

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-03-20 00:49:28 »
I just got the 3D Sphere grid (Yes that's what I call it), pretty nice. Mastered Snow's Level 1 grid in about 5 minutes, working on Lightning right now, too little HP, crystal Rain from the boss (Forgot its name) gets Lightning with 1 cast (2 Hits). And I just noticed, the start of FF 13 is WAY too much like FF7.
And here are the reasons:

The First Boss, is a giant thing, with a tail, your black friend has a gun and/or guns, your other friend has a memorable Sword, and the start out of the boss fight is exactly the same as FF7. (Same Positions). Also, you start off in a huge city, (Midgar), and on a train (Intro of FF7). I don't know about you guys, but this just bugs me a bit. Something I can live with, but they could have been more creative.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #57 on: 2010-03-22 01:02:25 »
i just got FFVIII as an early birthday gift and, even though its linear, i actually quite like it, its quite fun and the battle system can keep you on your toes against certain bosses

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-03-28 14:58:19 »
i just got FFVIII as an early birthday gift and, even though its linear, i actually quite like it, its quite fun and the battle system can keep you on your toes against certain bosses

FFVIII?

Beware, what I'm about to say is kind-of spoiler-ish. And I wish someone had said that in an earlier post because I hadn't played the game 2 weeks ago when I first read it.

I just completed it this morning. I enjoyed the game as a whole, I thought it had a good balance of gameplay and cutscenes. If you think 4k is a lot for the next crystal, it now costs me 60,000.

I liked the battle gameplay, fast and enjoyable to watch. Though for the better part of the first 9 chapters I just spent forever pressing "auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle". It gets a bit more complex the closer you get to the end.

The story was interesting at first and ended very well (though I was upset by this), but it felt like it was missing something for me. That big reveal that usually happens 3/4's of the way through the game just wasn't there. You learn Lightning's real name passively before a boss and it doesn't feel like a big thing at all. Also something Barthandelus says after the first time you beat him made me cringe with "I've heard this before" crapness. I was LOVING the story until that point. Another character reveal about Fang and Hope the first time you play as Fang was great though (about Fang and Vanille) - I wasn't expecting that one.

You are allowed almost no degree of customisation until chapter 9, when you can finally configure your party (which is fine, I spent a lot more time from chapter 9 onwards than I did leading up to it) however, it's still extremely linear. The removal of towns makes you feel like you're living to walk and fight, walk and fight.

A feature I liked is the "kind-of" new game plus. When you finish the story, you save it, and if you load that save, its back before the final boss (though they all still appear in "Enemy Intel"). Which is necessary because you only get the final Crystarium expansion after beating the final boss. This is the best time to do all the side-quests on Pulse.

The game itself doesn't really open up till Chapter 11, and in my opinion, there isn't that much content beyond the main story, even with the optional areas. I quite like the Cie'th Stone sidequest though.

The ending was as emotional as any other FF game (bar XII - that game had almost no emotion whatsoever) but the story itself felt a bit messy towards the end.

The game is quite solid though and extremely enjoyable. I was gutted by the ending so I can only infer that I must have bonded with the characters and story a bit more than I realised. Which is a good thing. My favourite character is Fang, by far. Barthandelus pissed me off but I did feel actual fear the first time he transformed, I found it quite shocking. And I don't like Sazh.

That may seem like a bit of a long list of things I didn't like about the game but there were a lot of good points too. This is already tl;dr so I won't outline the good ones here. It definitely doesn't beat any of my favourites but the story and battle system far exceeds XII. The graphics are EFFIN FANTASTIC.

My score (which probably means nothing to most of you)

Story: 8/10
Battle System: 9/10 (if the party leader gets KO'd, it's game over. This enraged me a few times)
Voice Acting: 8/10
Outside Battle Gameplay: 7/10
Music: 4/10

Overall - 7.2/10. Personally.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #59 on: 2010-04-02 01:13:56 »

FFVIII?

Beware, what I'm about to say is kind-of spoiler-ish. And I wish someone had said that in an earlier post because I hadn't played the game 2 weeks ago when I first read it.

I just completed it this morning. I enjoyed the game as a whole, I thought it had a good balance of gameplay and cutscenes. If you think 4k is a lot for the next crystal, it now costs me 60,000.

I liked the battle gameplay, fast and enjoyable to watch. Though for the better part of the first 9 chapters I just spent forever pressing "auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle". It gets a bit more complex the closer you get to the end.

The story was interesting at first and ended very well (though I was upset by this), but it felt like it was missing something for me. That big reveal that usually happens 3/4's of the way through the game just wasn't there. You learn Lightning's real name passively before a boss and it doesn't feel like a big thing at all. Also something Barthandelus says after the first time you beat him made me cringe with "I've heard this before" crapness. I was LOVING the story until that point. Another character reveal about Fang and Hope the first time you play as Fang was great though (about Fang and Vanille) - I wasn't expecting that one.

You are allowed almost no degree of customisation until chapter 9, when you can finally configure your party (which is fine, I spent a lot more time from chapter 9 onwards than I did leading up to it) however, it's still extremely linear. The removal of towns makes you feel like you're living to walk and fight, walk and fight.

A feature I liked is the "kind-of" new game plus. When you finish the story, you save it, and if you load that save, its back before the final boss (though they all still appear in "Enemy Intel"). Which is necessary because you only get the final Crystarium expansion after beating the final boss. This is the best time to do all the side-quests on Pulse.

The game itself doesn't really open up till Chapter 11, and in my opinion, there isn't that much content beyond the main story, even with the optional areas. I quite like the Cie'th Stone sidequest though.

The ending was as emotional as any other FF game (bar XII - that game had almost no emotion whatsoever) but the story itself felt a bit messy towards the end.

The game is quite solid though and extremely enjoyable. I was gutted by the ending so I can only infer that I must have bonded with the characters and story a bit more than I realised. Which is a good thing. My favourite character is Fang, by far. Barthandelus pissed me off but I did feel actual fear the first time he transformed, I found it quite shocking. And I don't like Sazh.

That may seem like a bit of a long list of things I didn't like about the game but there were a lot of good points too. This is already tl;dr so I won't outline the good ones here. It definitely doesn't beat any of my favourites but the story and battle system far exceeds XII. The graphics are EFFIN FANTASTIC.

My score (which probably means nothing to most of you)

Story: 8/10
Battle System: 9/10 (if the party leader gets KO'd, it's game over. This enraged me a few times)
Voice Acting: 8/10
Outside Battle Gameplay: 7/10
Music: 4/10

Overall - 7.2/10. Personally.

really? i actually liked the music, though thats personal liking ^_^

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-04-02 07:47:07 »
I didn't completely hate it, it's just not at the standard I'm used to. There are a few songs that are OK-ish, and two or three that I really like. The rest are unremarkable IMO.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-04-02 12:05:21 »
Most of the music sounded the same, as if a lot it had the same basic beat, the battle theme was exactly adrenaline inducing like in previous games.

8/10 for the voice acting? No chance, Vanille sound like an American trying to do an Australian accent switching to British every now and again even though the actress is actually Australian, Lightning is just another mood protagonist, and has no life in her voice, Snow just sounds like a dumb jock that's fallen madly in love with one of cheerleaders, hope, well, he sounds like every other whiny teenager has since FFX.

Although FFX still has the worst voice overs, Tidus's voice will haunt me till death and Wakka just makes me cringe.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-04-02 19:49:23 »
I thought it was really well done, but it is just my opinion, as is stated in the original post. I don't know what you mean about Vanille's accent, I didn't get a British vibe at all. Sounded all Australian to me. As did Fang's.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-04-03 05:29:13 »
I thought it was really well done, but it is just my opinion, as is stated in the original post. I don't know what you mean about Vanille's accent, I didn't get a British vibe at all. Sounded all Australian to me. As did Fang's.
All Australian except for the parts where it's not even remotely, because it becomes arbitrarily American.

My guess, the actress was trying to do American, but failing miserably.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-04-03 12:19:24 »
All Australian except for the parts where it's not even remotely, because it becomes arbitrarily American.

My guess, the actress was trying to do American, but failing miserably.

Well, each to their own I guess. I just didn't really notice any fluctuations in the accent. See this.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-04-12 17:44:47 »
Lol.  No I'm not taking anyone's word for it.  But I disliked 10 and 12, and seems to me this will be just as entertaining as those were.

Like I said about Heavy Rain, I'm tired of playing the same old games over and over with new colors.  Make something creative or innovative and I'll spend my money and time on it.

Have you ever played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-04-12 18:13:27 »
Yeah, the plot made no sense and it was just one giant pile of minigames and QTE sections.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010-04-13 06:24:17 »
Have you ever played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy?
Yeah, Indigo Prophecy here in the US.  I really enjoyed it.  That first scene where you killed a dude and had to hide his body in the bathroom, that was excellent.  And the rest of the story went really well (until the very later parts).   

So I'm glad Heavy Rain did the opposite and started off slow as hell, but got GREAT after that first chapter.  Just better and better and better.

Worth $60?  No.  Maybe $30.  But damn well executed.  I think it really raised the bar for good storytelling.  Of course, now that I know the twist I've since sold it.  I'll never feel like logging 10 hours into a story that I know the ending(s) to.