Author Topic: Ask Obesebear 1 million questions thread  (Read 29544 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Re: Congratulations Obesebear!
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-05 16:06:21 »
Would you like to tell us what powers you have now? ;D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-05 16:41:40 »
It might be nice to have a "Forum Rules" tab up at the top (along with Home, Help, Search, etc).
Have each rule with an HTML anchor. That way, if someone posts something breaking a rule, while you're not around, no one has to actually say anything when they respond. They could just post a link to the rule being broken.

Just a thought. It might not really help anything.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-05 16:54:10 »
In the other thread I mentioned moving stuff around. I think it would still be a good thing to get everything sorted. Out with old in with new as I say.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-06-05 17:01:57 »
I didn't see this post before. Hmm then does that mean obesebear should just delete new topics that are posted in the wrong place or he will first post at the new thread for some warning?? And then he will lock it?

I didnt say that. Topics can easily be moved to their proper place.

Anyways I am not a mod for the areas that he is, so it is totally up to him what he wishes to do. These were only my opinions.
Oh sorry I think that's what you meant. Guess I don't know much about what a moderator can do.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-05 18:00:43 »
not sure if you have the power, but can signatures be reactivated? Maybe keep them locked until a user has over 400 posts or something to cut down on excessive graphical signatures.

lee

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-06-05 18:08:22 »
1. I doubt anybody but an administrator can do that.
2. One-character sigs are fun, they require an entirely new form of creativity!

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-06-05 18:41:08 »
not sure if you have the power, but can signatures be reactivated? Maybe keep them locked until a user has over 400 posts or something to cut down on excessive graphical signatures.

lee
Well you have your own signature yourself. :) I wonder if its possible to have longer signatures..

frozt

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-06-05 18:49:00 »
I like the idea for sigs for people with post counts over X.  Sadly, I don't think that can be done with SMF

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-06-05 21:35:22 »
well, personally (not joking here) i think a special area other than completely unrelated where we can, pardon my language, be as big a jackass and joke around about as stupid stuff as we want
Not gonna happen.

- split game tweaking into graphics mod and technical mods
- add a release forum were finished patches could be added (that's pyrozen's idea but an awesome one nonetheless)
The release forum is a good idea, but that's what we have the wiki for.  Granted it needs to be better updated with a lot of things, but I don't yet have access to do something like that.   Also, read a little lower, I might have a similar solution.
Why the need to split the graphics from the technical?

New topics about things that have been answered should be deleted on sight.
I agree wholeheartedly with this, and will apply it to anyone with more than 5 posts. 

...we could get rid of 'programming feedback' and a lot of good stuff is scattered all over the place.
And maybe a FAQ area could be beneficial.
I think instead what needs to start happening is:
•When any program is a WIP or Release, it needs to be posted in Game Tweaking, then kept clean of pointless posts so that the author can easily keep it updated with any progress made. This will also make it easier to find the latest releases and know what the changes are.
•All problems concerning said program, or mod, will be addressed in Programming Feedback.   
Tech Support will be used for general problems getting the game running.
Tech Related will be used for discussion of file formats.. AI.. all that cool guy talk that I don't understand  8)
General is still for anything Final Fantasy related.  Just remember you still need to stay on topic.
FAQ forum already exists, but it does need some cleaning up...
•And of course Completely Unrelated... which is insanely popular lately.   Just keep it PG.  Necroing topics here is fine.

Would you like to tell us what powers you have now? ;D
Why, so you can exploit my weaknesses!?  I think not!

It might be nice to have a "Forum Rules" tab up at the top (along with Home, Help, Search, etc).
Have each rule with an HTML anchor. That way, if someone posts something breaking a rule, while you're not around, no one has to actually say anything when they respond. They could just post a link to the rule being broken.
Instead, How about I compile all the rules scattered about into 1 post in the FAQ forum.

In the other thread I mentioned moving stuff around. I think it would still be a good thing to get everything sorted. Out with old in with new as I say.
It's a huge forum.  As such this is a large WIP.

I don't have the power to do that, but even if I did I wouldn't.  Unless someone made a really strong argument for a reason they are necessary.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-05 21:49:07 by obesebear »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-05 22:17:19 »
Everybody knows your username must be a off green color for all of the cool mod powers [/sarcasm]

Real question though? Whats wrong with yellow? I demand that an admin position be colored yellow!!!!. That is my request thank you.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-06-05 23:50:10 »
So obesebear here is my question..
When we normal members see someone post about problems he/she haves using the released mod, should we help them there, ignore or tell them to go to programming feedback so that their question would be answered?? If we don't answer their questions in Game Tweaking maybe they'll know they should know they asked in the wrong thread..

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-06-06 01:31:41 »
For now just keep on helping, I've got a really busy weekend but hopefully starting Monday some of this can start taking effect.
If someone posts anywhere but programming feedback for problems related directly to a mod or patch, make sure to let them know it should be in programming feedback.  Then link them to the existing thread there if there is one.  I'll be merging them all into one. 

After this has been in effect for a while, any members who have been here for a while will find their post simply deleted if it's obviously in the wrong place.  The same goes for the rest of the forums.  If enough time has passed that I think everyone knows where posts should go, it will be your fault if it magically disappears.

Also, I think I need to clarify something about helping people.   If the person is brand new, it's still just fine to help them.  Hopefully I can iron out a good way to make the rules obvious to all new registering members.  If a question is posted by someone that should know the rules, and that question has been answered plenty of times, ignore it and I will get around to deleting it.   BUT, if they take the time to explain what all they have tried and maybe the threads they looked up, and it looks like they made a genuine effort, DEFINITELY help.   Help threads like that are how we learn of new problems and find solutions, and can even be linked to as solutions in the future.  "HALP PLZ I SERcchd 4 YEARS!!!" Helps no one, and is only annoying.

Of course, a lot of this reorganizing may change, I'm extremely tired and what may sound like a good idea right now, might not seem so bright tomorrow.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-06-06 02:00:51 »
So is there just you been promoted? I really think you should have more help, this is a big forum after all.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-06-06 02:09:05 »
For now yes, honestly I don't think it's too big a job right yet.   I just need to get all my thoughts organized, and have some good, non sleep deprived time on my hands.  Halkun, myself, sl1982, and Timu might be enough, we'll just have to see once everything gets in place.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-06-06 02:12:58 »
Ok then, at the end of the day we are all friends here, and we'll help each other out.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-06-06 02:19:16 »
IMO, programming feedback just sounds very vague to a new user. Something like Mod/Patch Support would be a more defining title don't ya think? If I came in here new nd saw the forums you guys had and I had a mod/patch prob, and not a general problem with the game, I would still put it in tech support because programming feedback just sounds like somewhere a new user shouldnt post for help in.

And for that matter wouldn't changing texh support to Game Support  could clarify that programming feedback(Mod/Patch support) is for Mods and patches while Tech Support(Game Support) Would obviously be just for the base game. Just a thought.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-06-06 02:25:35 »
My God, guys.  I literally just posted exactly what the description is for each of the forums.   I am way too tired, this is going to have to be my last post for tonight.
Anyways, those descriptions will now be heavily enforced :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-06-06 02:29:34 »
Sorry bout hitting you with those posts man, see ya tomorrow!

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-06-06 03:27:27 »
My God, guys.  I literally just posted exactly what the description is for each of the forums.   I am way too tired, this is going to have to be my last post for tonight.
The Team Avalanche forum will now strictly be for emo fanboys.
j/k. The descriptions you posted all sound good.
I hope you have a good rest - and that we don't wear you out with a zillion ideas.  :-)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-06-06 03:42:36 »
I hope you have a good rest - and that we don't wear you out with a zillion ideas.  :-)

Exactly, so all you emo's out there better start helping out!

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-06-06 04:38:08 »
Why the need to split the graphics from the technical?

Because "technical" mods get swamped by new models, new skins, new avatars, etc.

Maybe 90% of mods are graphical ?

After a while, they all start to blend in apart from a few specific projects like TA's and the NPC's.

Reunion really started the trend for grahical mods a few years ago and its been growing ever since.  As such, I find I'm much more interested in "game tweaking" mods rather than just graphical mods (apart from the few that really stand out).

Given the origins of this board, I'd think I'm probably not the only one who thinks that and I'd like to see both kept separate for easier access.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-06-06 06:18:19 »
i totally agree marc, that why i wanted separate forums for GFX and gameplay. However, by splitting the game tweaking forums you decrease the amount of traffic for both sides, so eventually one forum will be less populated(my guess is gameplay). I think a forum simply for releases is the best answer, but the current setup could easily suffice now that we have an active moderator to keep things tidy.
Give it a few weeks and i'm sure things will greatly improve, not that qhimm was a train wreck prior, it just needed some TLC.

thanks obesebear :)

lee

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #47 on: 2010-06-06 06:28:32 »

Exactly, so all you emo's out there better start helping out!

does being a psychodic joker count? :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-06-06 15:33:51 »
Game Tweaking is for
Patches, mods and other tweaks for your FF game.
  So basically it will only be for releases and works-in-progress.

I'd like to keep all issues with the programs strictly in programming feedback.   That way anyone who has a bug that's already been found can easily find the solution.   I say easily...but... well we'll just have to wait and see I guess.  Keeping all the threads on topic will also help when trying to scroll through posts for solutions.

Just give me a few weeks to get everything together, and see if finding what you're looking for isn't much easier.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-06-06 15:35:30 »
Game Tweaking is for
Patches, mods and other tweaks for your FF game.
  So basically it will only be for releases and works-in-progress.

I'd like to keep all issues with the programs strictly in programming feedback.   That way anyone who has a bug that's already been found can easily find the solution.   I say easily...but... well we'll just have to wait and see I guess.  Keeping all the threads on topic will also help when trying to scroll through posts for solutions.

Just give me a few weeks to get everything together, and see if finding what you're looking for isn't much easier.

Shouldn't you move the Custom Graphics Driver made by Aali to the Game Tweaking section? I never really understood why it was in Tech Related.