Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)  (Read 468733 times)

satansof2

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)
« Reply #125 on: 2015-04-23 07:04:04 »
sweet ill take a look to find one, but dont know how much it would do since i think its more of a limitation on the program/game itself due to the coding back in those days....

how much of the actual game can the modder's mod on FF8? i know some games you can change alot in the game itself.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2015-05-08 22:28:17 »
Hi there, am I doing something wrong?
I extract Tonberry into the FF8 root folder on my steam path: E:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII
I put the hashmap for Tripod in to: E:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\hashmap
I try running the VC redist but it tells me there is a newer version installed, and when I launch from steam nothing happens...
Windos 7 Pro SP1 64bit, 16GB ram, nVidia Gfx.

I don't see any log files anywhere and nothing in the event viewer to tell me what went wrong :) - and the game does play fine normally - this is the first time I'm patching it on Steam.

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2015-05-08 23:27:43 »
Hi there, am I doing something wrong?
I extract Tonberry into the FF8 root folder on my steam path: E:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII
I put the hashmap for Tripod in to: E:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\hashmap
I try running the VC redist but it tells me there is a newer version installed, and when I launch from steam nothing happens...
Windos 7 Pro SP1 64bit, 16GB ram, nVidia Gfx.

I don't see any log files anywhere and nothing in the event viewer to tell me what went wrong :) - and the game does play fine normally - this is the first time I'm patching it on Steam.

Hi Skillster, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Is FFVIII totally failing to launch, or is it just Tonberry that's not working?

Is your Windows installed on the E drive? If so (or if it's anything other than C) you need to set drive_letter to the appropriate value in \FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\prefs.txt.

Have you put the Tripod textures in \FINAL FANTASY VIII\textures\?

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2015-05-09 03:32:57 »
ok i cannot for the life of me get ANY of the textures to show up in game
i downloaded Tonberry 2.04, extracted in to my FF8 folder (it's on a separate HDD than my OS it's D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\
that's where i have the texture folder yet i go to balamb and it's still vanilla
i have the hash map files all placed right
i edited my prefs to my ff8 folder
i did everything step by step and it just. won't. work.
NONE of the Textures i downloaded work it seems
i'm running windows 8.1 x64, AMD r9 290 w/4gb vram, 16 gb ram
i don't understand why the textures won't work.
help please

satansof2

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2015-05-09 04:20:48 »
did you make sure that old graphics is UNchecked in options? that might be it, other then that what i can think of looking at the instructions is just make sure the pref.txt in your tonberry folder is pointed to the right drive letter.........

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2015-05-09 05:42:30 »
yep original GFX is unticked and my prefs is indeed pointed to my D drive
am i missing a program ? cause i don't see how tonberry by itself could affect the ff8 textures
i'm pretty sure i downloaded all the tools i need...

Edit: its just a drag & drop operation right?
Tonberry goes into my FF8 root folder along with the texture folder
then i modify prefs to mirror this D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII (that's where i have my FF8 installed)
then i add the new textures to the texture folder
then add hash maps to the hash folder and the objmaps in the obj folder
and that's it right? i should be good?
or am i missing a step or 5? -_-
« Last Edit: 2015-05-09 05:54:33 by TheOmegaFactor »

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #131 on: 2015-05-09 05:47:47 »
yep original GFX is unticked and my prefs is indeed pointed to my D drive
am i missing a program ? cause i don't see how tonberry by itself could affect the ff8 textures
i'm pretty sure i downloaded all the tools i need...

You said your OS is on a different drive, right? I'm pretty sure your prefs need to be set to the drive the OS is on. Doesn't matter where you have FF8 installed.

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2015-05-09 05:57:38 »
yes my os is on the C: drive
i have like 5 drives (don't ask) a 256gb ssd and 4 slaves (1TB AND 3 3TB)

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2015-05-09 06:00:46 »
I'm pretty sure your prefs need to be set to the drive the OS is on. Doesn't matter where you have FF8 installed.
tried that. nothing changed

EDIT: when i mentioned D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\, that's where my textures are kept
the OS drive letter i never touched

EDIT2: ok i've officially lost my patience.
can someone PLEASE guide me step by step on HOW to get the textures to properly show in game?
i've already got all the mods
« Last Edit: 2015-05-09 06:10:43 by TheOmegaFactor »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #134 on: 2015-05-09 06:15:04 »
I saw your edit from before. It is pretty much drag and drop. I don't think you needed to edit anything in your prefs. Pretty sure it all should've worked without touching it. The only thing I myself have edited in the prefs is the cache size to suit my needs. It should be fine untouched.

Edit: What I'm saying is, just replace the prefs with a fresh one. You did indeed do all the steps right. Except for editing the prefs. I don't think you needed to do that.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-09 06:28:12 by FatedCourage »

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2015-05-09 06:46:59 »
ok well i got the menu textures to work
i just can't get the world map ones to work
also with tonberry, do i have to download 1.5 THEN upgrade to 2.04 enhanced?

Edit: i guess so! cause it was the last thing i did before i got ALL the textures working....
jeez... god forbid something work right the first time around for me lol...

thanks for the help guys
« Last Edit: 2015-05-09 06:52:16 by TheOmegaFactor »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #136 on: 2015-05-09 06:58:39 »
Just glad to see you got it working. That's all that matters. :) Enjoy the mods.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2015-05-09 09:19:36 »
Hi Skillster, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Is FFVIII totally failing to launch, or is it just Tonberry that's not working?

Is your Windows installed on the E drive? If so (or if it's anything other than C) you need to set drive_letter to the appropriate value in \FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\prefs.txt.

Have you put the Tripod textures in \FINAL FANTASY VIII\textures\?

Hi there. Yes if you try launching from steam it doesn't even bring up a window/dialogbox/error sound :)
If you try launching from the FF8 folder itself (ff8en or ff8 launcher) you get the error that MSVCP120.dll is missing - however if I try to run the runtime you included it tells me there is a newer version installed anyway.
Tripod textures are in E:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\textures
Windows is on C:\
Any ideas? Roses and Wine worked fine on a vanilla install of FF8 Steam.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2015-05-09 09:37:12 »
Ah got it to work, copied MSVCP120.dll and MSVCR120.dll from another steam game which came with them in the folder.
Yes the TT game now looks a treat!
Thanks for your hard work guys!

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2015-05-12 06:51:37 »
Any chance for a difficulty mod?
the mods you have done are excellent, But this game is just too easy
// If they had done a training center like the FFX monster arena, where you could get all the additional monsters/boss's
That would've just been amazing
Hopefully if a hard mod comes along, it's so hard that it takes me 500 hours to complete the game

It's not a correct thread nor forum section for this. Please, use IFRIT, that you can find in tools section and read scenes.out specification at wiki and make one yourself. Today it's not that hard, you just follow instructions and read documentation.

Miazara

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2015-05-13 07:35:30 »
Heya all,

Got a problem with this mod that causes me unable to play the game in full screen. I have tonberry installed with mods and they work (seed reborn etc so easy to check). But when I start the game in full screen setting from the settings it will crash with a 'an unknown exception has occurred.' I have tried all setting combinations, steam cloud/overlay on and off and every resolution with and without mods but it keeps crashing on full screen. Related to that setting option only. Also noticed this did not happen with 1.5 but did crash from 1.6 and onwards. Any help on fixing this? Without tonberry it won't crash in full screen so it is related to this. I have no idea how to go with this.

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: 2015-05-13 07:37:06 by Miazara »

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2015-05-13 13:18:18 »
Heya all,

Got a problem with this mod that causes me unable to play the game in full screen. I have tonberry installed with mods and they work (seed reborn etc so easy to check). But when I start the game in full screen setting from the settings it will crash with a 'an unknown exception has occurred.' I have tried all setting combinations, steam cloud/overlay on and off and every resolution with and without mods but it keeps crashing on full screen. Related to that setting option only. Also noticed this did not happen with 1.5 but did crash from 1.6 and onwards. Any help on fixing this? Without tonberry it won't crash in full screen so it is related to this. I have no idea how to go with this.

Kind Regards

Fullscreen works fine for me, and I'm assuming there are lots of other fullscreen players. What do you mean when you say "with and without mods?" Is it crashing as soon as you start up or only after a while of playing? I'm not sure what fullscreen would change that would cause Tonberry to crash, but if you're getting "unknown exception" then that does sound like it's coming from d3d9Callback.dll.

Miazara

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2015-05-13 19:24:21 »
Fullscreen works fine for me, and I'm assuming there are lots of other fullscreen players. What do you mean when you say "with and without mods?" Is it crashing as soon as you start up or only after a while of playing? I'm not sure what fullscreen would change that would cause Tonberry to crash, but if you're getting "unknown exception" then that does sound like it's coming from d3d9Callback.dll.

I figured it would work fine for other players indeed. And yes I do mean crash right away at start. DId it with blank tonberry and tonberry with mods (e.g. seed reborn) and even with debug on in tonberry and renaming directories to match I get 0 output.

When I start the game in full screen and press play I get a black screen quarter of the screen and 0.1 second later in full screen  and it stays black, nothing happens, it has crashed instantly and the popup is hidden behind it to which you need to alt tab. When you press 'ok' on that popup with 'unknown exception' you can get the windows crash that asks to close it etc which also has 0 information. And this happens only in full screen regardless of anything else as long as tonberry is there. In windowed mode it runs just fine with everything working..

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2015-05-14 15:30:02 »
I figured it would work fine for other players indeed. And yes I do mean crash right away at start. DId it with blank tonberry and tonberry with mods (e.g. seed reborn) and even with debug on in tonberry and renaming directories to match I get 0 output.

When I start the game in full screen and press play I get a black screen quarter of the screen and 0.1 second later in full screen  and it stays black, nothing happens, it has crashed instantly and the popup is hidden behind it to which you need to alt tab. When you press 'ok' on that popup with 'unknown exception' you can get the windows crash that asks to close it etc which also has 0 information. And this happens only in full screen regardless of anything else as long as tonberry is there. In windowed mode it runs just fine with everything working..

I'm not really sure what to tell you besides to try completely removing Tonberry and starting over. Make sure you're using v2.04, that the Steam overlay is disabled, and that at the very least both collisions.csv and hash2map.csv are in FFVIII\tonberry\, even if you have no texture packs enabled. If you continue to have issues I will send you a modified version that will log startup events from within Tonberry so I can see where and why this is happening.

Miazara

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2015-05-15 11:42:38 »
Sorry for the late reply. No matter what I try it keeps crashing. Also I use the collisions and hash2map.cvs files in the 2.04 zip but no matter what I try it keeps crashing when on full screen. If you can sent me the adjusted dll file that would be great so I also can see what is going on.

Kind Regards

D-Day Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2015-06-07 05:41:04 »
I feel like making a video, While i'm using these mods. What do you guys want a video about???  I'll upload it to youtube for everyone to watch :)   --- With no ads :D

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: 2015-06-10 01:46:52 »
Well since you're asking, I'd like a video about getting Tonberry working in Wine, and showing the ballroom scene with Rinoa.

fatboysteak

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2015-06-22 19:01:35 »
Hello everyone I am trying to install mods to play FF8 with, however I got several warnings of virus and medium threat after downloading Tonberry Enhanced 2.04. I was wondering if there should be any concerns? Also I don't understand if I should download this version 2.04 or the older versions such as 1.5 to run modded FF8.

I've modded skyrim plenty of times but this is my first time modding FF8 and I am very confused, any help is greatly appreciated!

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2015-06-22 19:27:44 »
Hello everyone I am trying to install mods to play FF8 with, however I got several warnings of virus and medium threat after downloading Tonberry Enhanced 2.04. I was wondering if there should be any concerns? Also I don't understand if I should download this version 2.04 or the older versions such as 1.5 to run modded FF8.

I've modded skyrim plenty of times but this is my first time modding FF8 and I am very confused, any help is greatly appreciated!

You should have no concern with viruses. If AV programs are flagging Tonberry files as dangerous, my guess would be it's because of the D3D9 injector, which simply intercepts calls to your graphics card and replaces textures with the modded files.

Don't worry about earlier versions--everything you need should be included in the Tonberry 2.04 download.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2015-06-23 03:11:46 »
Mavirick, would it possible to have a Tonberry texture support for FFVII steam version since the game works in a similar way ? How much work would it take ?