Author Topic: [TBA] FF7_Rules and LostWing's Ultimate PSX mod discussion  (Read 12301 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
FF7rules and I have been discussing some ideas for working together on a new PSX mod.  Yeah, most of you aren't interested, but to those of you who are...why not toss out some ideas.  FF7rules was formerly working on Climhazard and I released FFVII Lost Wing earlier this year (just so you have a bit of an idea of the context).  I'm creating this thread so there is a log of the ideas we discuss so we can easily go back to them at a later time and also for anyone who thinks they have a good idea to contribute it.  As of right now many of the things on the Climhazad thread apply to this mod - it is still his project at the core, I am just offering to help with some insight and the dirty work.  Once this thing gets rolling (as I really don't have time to "Work on it" right now and idk how much progress FF7rules has already made) this thread will have a bit more meaning.  Right now we are still in the planning stage, and this will serve as a place to discuss ideas.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Actually, I could really do with help on Rebirth. Debugging and verifying AI procedures alone would be a boon.

ff7rules

• View Profile
    Ideas I have had so far.

* No Save Crystal in the crater (On hardest difficulty)
    * About 30 + Extra boss battles
    * Sephiroth fights in the form of nightmares.
    * 3 different ways of playing the game to suit every type of FFVII player
    * Brand New Magics, Materias and Weapons.
    * A whole now startegic feel to FFVII with character classes never use the same party all the time again!
    * Sephiroth is 100% controlable in the flashback.
    * To Obtain Summons you now must fight a boss that use the very summon against you!
    * New ways of Obtaining rare Items
    * Steal is now a very valuble Materia! Obtain much more powerfull Items much eariler in the game by stealing them( much like FFIX).
    * The hardest Boss in FFVII is no longer the weapons.....I will say no more for now.
    * New Face Graphics for each character.
    * Camos from Old and New FF Games in form of Bosses from other Final Fantasys.
    * Special elemental weapons and armour add even more to the startegic side of FFVII

« Last Edit: 2010-12-13 11:12:14 by ff7rules »

Cloudef

• View Profile
Sounds nice, been playing LostWings difficulty patch and been happy with it.

GreenSamurai

I am happy with anything as long as it can made into an eboot so I can play it on my psp. I tried with Lost Wings and it crashes at the same place everytime :-(

Timber

• View Profile
Actually, I could really do with help on Rebirth. Debugging and verifying AI procedures alone would be a boon.

Combining your efforts is a really good idea imo. Especially since Rebirth is for PSX and PC.

obesebear

• View Profile
Still waiting on good ol' Rebirth.  It's been the only mod I'm interested in for a while.  All the graphical things are nice, and the changes here and there.  But aside from the excitement of each of Aali's driver releases, Rebirth is easily 2nd in things most anticipated.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
I am happy with anything as long as it can made into an eboot so I can play it on my psp. I tried with Lost Wings and it crashes at the same place everytime :-(

Where is it crashing at for you?  Let me know about anything else messed up too.  I know of some things, I don't have time to fix stuff right now, but probably sometime after xmas I will update.

GreenSamurai

Where is it crashing at for you?  Let me know about anything else messed up too.  I know of some things, I don't have time to fix stuff right now, but probably sometime after xmas I will update.

Well it's the beginning fight where Cloud is fighting the two guards. My psp always freezes whenever cloud attacks no matter it is a normal attack or limit break or even just using items. I have tried applying the patch many times and it still happens. I am using the NTSC-U version of the game if it matters..

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
Oh i see.  I don't have a PSP so I really dont know wy that is happening.  Sounds like it may happen regardless of what battle you are in.  My mod is only tested on the EPSXE playstation emulator.  I can't say that it works if you convert it to PSP or if you burn it and try to play on a PSX.  I can say that it works for use on EPSXE tho.  Sorry man, I don't think i can help you.  Maybe if you ask around someone knows how to convert psx games/mods to crashless PSP games.

ff7rules

• View Profile
Re: [TBA] FF7_Rules and LostWing's Ultimate PSX mod discussion
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-03 09:40:20 »
Are you ready to contribute some Ideas or work to this LostWings?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-05 23:07:55 »
1) Will it be possible to adapt it to PC version? I can help if you like...
2) Are you introducing Gjoerulv's Hardcore patch into PSX version?
3) Will you apply some of the PC patches to it?
4) I believe that some of new spells like in Lost Wings and Rebirth can be applied.
5) When playing around with Wall Market, I found that each level of limit break has 3 limits. Will it be possible here?
6) Will it be purely emulator or compatible with PSOne as well?
7) As we could see in Lost Wings' vids, there is a hidden sub-menu called Uso. Will it be enabled?
8) Could you remove ANY of the damage cap? The original damage cap is 9999 where the one with YAMP is 32767. I mean by that no limit, so the most powerful attacks can do 1 000 000 + damage in one hit. It has to be a very strong attack, but I believe you understand what I mean.
9) I'm not a programmer right now (and most likely never) but I can help you with kernel.bin editing or other stuff like that. Keep in mind that I got a project to finish before that though.
10) Do you think that a compilation of existing mods (like FF7 Remix, but more complete) is doable?
11) Could you include some of the Tools for modifying data in that patch?
12) I am not a fan of PSX but I find this project very interesting. I'm gonna help for sure. Just wait til end January for me
13) Good work, nothing else to say :)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-06 00:40:04 »
I can field a couple of these.

1) Will it be possible to adapt it to PC version? I can help if you like...

Yes. As a rule, the PSX is more restrictive than the PC version. But there are some animations that would require alterations, and a fair bit of bugtesting to ensure animations don't cause problems.

His patch involves scripted events in the field. It's difficult to implement these into PSX at present.

3) Will you apply some of the PC patches to it?

I imagine they won't, because it's not really good form to apply someone else's work without their permission.

4) I believe that some of new spells like in Lost Wings and Rebirth can be applied.

The Rebirth spells are all built from the ground-up around the PSX version, so it's technically doable. Some, such as Poison, however, rely on status effects like DualDrain+Poison, and you have to be *very* careful not to allow DualDrain to be inflicted without poison. I'm already considering finding another way to work with Poison. I'll have to think about it.

5) When playing around with Wall Market, I found that each level of limit break has 3 limits. Will it be possible here?

The 3rd limit in each case can't be used. As I recall, the game yields an 'out of MP' error, but doesn't actually check MP values. I couldn't give you any more details on what's happening behind the scenes here.

6) Will it be purely emulator or compatible with PSOne as well?

If it can run on ePSXe or PSX, it should be able to run on a grey Playstaion.

7) As we could see in Lost Wings' vids, there is a hidden sub-menu called Uso. Will it be enabled?

This can be done, but requires editing the executable, and the menu doesn't really work anyway (it's supposed to be a PHS that works anywhere). My understanding is that neither FF7rules and Lost Wings intend to change the executable, but their scopes could change.

Making it work properly hasn't even been done on the PC version, and NTFIC1 (who has researched it) is experienced in disassembling the PC version. It's not nearly as simple as you'd imagine.

8) Could you remove ANY of the damage cap? The original damage cap is 9999 where the one with YAMP is 32767. I mean by that no limit, so the most powerful attacks can do 1 000 000 + damage in one hit. It has to be a very strong attack, but I believe you understand what I mean.

Not really. Damage is what we call a signed 16-bit integer. Its values can only span from -32267 to +32267. Making the game work with damage as a 32-bit integer would be *far* beyond the realms of the possible. It would probably be faster to complete Q-Gears and compile for the PSOne!

The 9999 damage cap is easy to circumvent, but making damage above 9999 display is less easy. It *is* doable, though.

11) Could you include some of the Tools for modifying data in that patch?

It's not really good form to do that kind of thing. The Qhimm Wiki has links to *lots* of tools, though.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-06 00:42:45 by Bosola »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-06 01:00:48 »
Hey, quick and good reply! Thanks, I think am fixing now ^^

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-06 11:03:34 »

His patch involves scripted events in the field. It's difficult to implement these into PSX at present.

What kind of things have been altered on the field? It's actually quite simple to script in extra battles and item pickups etc on the PlayStation version.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-01-06 12:47:25 »
What i meant by that is new ennemies like in that patch or in (I believe, not sure) Rebirth. Sorry if I dont explain well, it's pretty difficult in English :P

TrckyGmr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-02-01 19:16:33 »
FF7rules and I have been discussing some ideas for working together on a new PSX mod.  Yeah, most of you aren't interested, but to those of you who are...why not toss out some ideas.  FF7rules was formerly working on Climhazard and I released FFVII Lost Wing earlier this year (just so you have a bit of an idea of the context).  I'm creating this thread so there is a log of the ideas we discuss so we can easily go back to them at a later time and also for anyone who thinks they have a good idea to contribute it.  As of right now many of the things on the Climhazad thread apply to this mod - it is still his project at the core, I am just offering to help with some insight and the dirty work.  Once this thing gets rolling (as I really don't have time to "Work on it" right now and idk how much progress FF7rules has already made) this thread will have a bit more meaning.  Right now we are still in the planning stage, and this will serve as a place to discuss ideas.

new recommend items:
# raises target ally limit to max (like Fury Brand.)
# uses "regen" on all allies
# inflict "zombie" status to target (just like on ff8 status, when affected opponent/allies can damage by curing magic and items.*absorbs gravity|possible new materia.)
# damage = # of steps made (if can break the damage limit it can deal 65535 = max.)
# causes "death-sentence" status to target foe
# causes "peerles" to an ally (like Planet Protector but only one target.)
# causes "lucky-strike" to an ally

materia:
# sacrifice (sacrifices caster hp & mp to be distributed to allies & kamikaze skill of ff8.)
# new stat plus materia ("I think this was already done." strength, vitality, spirit.)
# water
# aero
# holy
# materia that drains hp & mp (seperate magic spell.)

enemy:
# more elemental bosses (elemental atk, def, skills of one or more element monster have.)

*maximum level increases up to 200 or more (limit break damage is affected by level)
*maximum stats set to 522 (instead of 255 only)

i hope this contributes...
« Last Edit: 2012-02-01 19:19:26 by TrckyGmr »

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-02-02 19:07:40 »
"Not really. Damage is what we call a signed 16-bit integer. Its values can only span from -32267 to +32267. Making the game work with damage as a 32-bit integer would be *far* beyond the realms of the possible."
I am no expert programmer, but isn't it possible to make it unsigned? Although I don't know if this might cuase other issues.

If you raise the difficulty, one request of me:
Please create more savepoints, in front of every boss at least. It is fine to redo a boss battle, but running 10 minutes to him and beating the crap out of all random enemies (or fleeing from them) can be frustrating.

Limits: Possible to make all previous limits aviable per limit level? So a level 4 limit would consist of 7 limit moves. I never understood why the old limits had to vanish.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-03 00:58:01 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:09:53 by Jenova's Witness »

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-02-03 01:48:06 »
If I'm not mistaken. Lost wing said he was going to focus his attention on his job class system mod.