Author Topic: FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project  (Read 53206 times)

Elentor

• View Profile
FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project
« Reply #50 on: 2005-07-26 13:24:49 »
I didn't think it was possible to beat the Midgar Zolom (18k HP, 125 STR) by this level.
I'm gonna rise up her challenge. Beta is a way too cheap spell to have for the whole first cd, even for a hard mode.
Thanks for your report.

Cheers

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2005-07-27 06:48:16 »
Quote from: Qhimm
Clearly you are capable of editing your earlier post, so I assume your double-post was entirely intentional then. Don't double-post.

ahh.. sorry i went to delete the first post after i had posted the second one but couldn't when i should've just edited the first. wont happen again.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2005-07-27 20:14:15 »
Hey Elentor, i thought of soemthing earlier...

I know that kotr doesnt work with Quadra magic.. any way to make it not work with mime, or have mime not work with counter?  Or both? How about mime+limits?

If you could do that, then every Emerald/Ruby strategy out there would be null and void =)

Also, as per the Zolom/Beta: You could just lower how much damage Beta does, so that having it isn't such a huge deal.  or radically increase the damage so it obliterates anyone under level 30 =P

Marik

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2005-07-28 01:19:48 »
If I may make a suggestion for the patch, can you please alter the "Ribbon" accessory so that it TRULY DOES protect against all NEGATIVE status effects? I believe at the moment it does not negate Death, Near Death, Slow, and Stop.

Maybe you could also put in a Mighty Guard accessory? (Auto Haste + Auto Barrier + Auto MBarrier)

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2005-07-28 02:40:00 »
Emperor: The problem on Beta is that it's an elemental magic.
Elemental + Fire owns it big time. Yea, sucks.

Mime is too overpowered. I will probably take it off, because I believe that changing these things are gonna to be *very* hard...

Marik: Same thing, I don't know if these things are possible. But then, I would only make it if it served the purpose of the patch being *harder*, if you can understand what I mean... but anyway, I didn't start messing with these files... *yet* :D

Cheers

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2005-07-28 03:00:46 »
Anyone else have a nightmare of a time trying to beat jenova on the boat. i had to revive each character about ten times against it. and the worst part about it.. i just saved straight over my savegame, now im back in sector1 in midgar :evil: .

As for beta, shouldn't you just be able to double zolems magic strength? or will this not affect the damage dealt by the spell. if the strength of the spell is doubled to 2000+ damage you would need a much greater elemental defense and therefore a much higher character level.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2005-07-28 03:54:09 »
the elemental defense is always relative
Elemental level 1 = Halves
Elemental level 2 = Nulls
Elemental level 3 = Absorbs

Most people usually have elemental level 2 by the time they try to take Beta, which means Beta's power does not make the battle harder or easier.

Seems the curse of "losing the game after Jenova on the Boat" is affecting everyone. Happened with me, my fault too.
If you want I can send you a non-cheated, level 17 save on Costa Del Sol, cortesy of Alhexx.

Is Jenova too hard? I found her quite easy.

Yazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2005-07-28 05:09:22 »
Eletnor..you gona update soon? almost at costa del sol..btw, great job really!!! especially with the bosses! yea..that zolom kills me in like 30 secs..hehe

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2005-07-28 05:18:27 »
I've never had elemental at level 2 at that point. Then again, i also don't have my characters at level 29 with all their 3rd level limits at that point like several people supposidly do.

Yet, i'm supposed to be an expert at this game.  Pft.

I'd actually use the patch, if not for the fact that i don't have time.  And also, if there are any far-reaching bugs, i dont want it affecting my in-progress walkthough =/

Yazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2005-07-28 06:26:13 »
i got something to report:

when the party first arrives at kalm and cloud has that flashback with sephy and they hafta fight the green dragon..we'll for some reason, cloud is unable to target the dragon nor sephy..only himself..and he always misses..and he dies in one hit from the dragon having only 100+ hp and the dragon dealing 400+ each time..so basically, cloud dies, and sephy CANNOT even damage the dragon! its always a miss..sephy dosent die though..always 0 damage on him..and occasionally he ses Life2 on cloud.but basically, its a never ending cycle of flamethrower and miss..

I used jenova to raise sephy's stats but still the dragon evades it all the time..the only solution for now is to replace the hardcore scene.bin with the original scene.bin for that part.

[edit] scratch that..replaced the hardcore scene w/ the orig..still same problem..hmm..[/edit]

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2005-07-28 08:04:45 »
Well, Cloud is SUPPSOED to be a weakling and be no help in any of the flashback battles.  SEPHY, on the other hand, is suppsoed to be a walking weapon of mass PWNAGE.  Something got farked =/

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2005-07-28 14:50:07 »
Yazoo:
I was rendering my 3D file.
You can check it here:
http://elentor.com/Render_Final1600Low.jpg

Lots of things I wanna fix on Photoshop post-working, but it's about the way I wanted.
So, I'm gonna update as soon as I have free non-3D time.

About your Report.
I didn't edit either Sephiroth, the Dragon or Cloud.
That's very weird. I'll check it later, but like you said, might not be my patch's problem.

EmperorSteele: At that point you have to level up like mad on the Mythril Cave.
The first time I played, I wanted to get beta so bad, but I was very young (about 10 years old) and very unexperienced, I leveled up Elemental to level 3. Yea, I'm mad.

Yazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2005-07-28 15:18:13 »
Thats some nice work there elentor! I understand as to why you cant update and thats perfectly understandable. Everyone has a life they need to attend to. But yea, good luck with the 3d stuff and hope to d/l an update soon! I should also thank you very much for making this hardcore scene.bin because its what got me to pick up ff7 after years of eating dust. I love the challenge!

btw, excellent job with the zolom..and also, heli gunner is too weak..bolts totally pwned him. Increase the hp of some monsters in the mythril cave too..other than that, its all good! thanks again!!

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2005-07-29 13:35:18 »
Hi, I would just like to say many thanks for doing something I have wanted to do since I joined this forum many years ago.
I look forward to rebuilding my pentium 3 PC and installing Windows 98 and using my old 3dfx voodoo5 graphics card and sit down and play this hardcore FF7 version.

But till then I will reserve judgement, as I can be very picky.
Expect some bug reports in the not to near future.

Thanks for the hard work

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2005-07-30 04:28:31 »
Quote from: Elentor

Is Jenova too hard? I found her quite easy.

Jenova was a good difficulty considering its supposta be a hardcore boss.. i love that fight especially the music.

Yazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2005-07-30 04:31:59 »
yea i think jenova was easy too..2 summons, continuous level 2 attack magic and limit breaks every 2-3 turns..beat rush 2/2 alone owned jenova.

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
« Reply #66 on: 2005-07-30 11:29:30 »
Hey Yazoo, about something getting screwed up with Sephy... I had the same problem, turns out somehere along the line his equipment got clusterfscked. If you download Qhimm's Jenova, you can equip him with one of Vincent stronger weapons and he thuroughly whoops ass again. Young cloud IS supposed to die like that, however he also had some equipment issues that make the rest of the flashback a little weird.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2005-07-30 12:09:03 »
mind you those this mod actually change the experience point that you receive?
If you get more EXP than it counters the fact the bosses are harder.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2005-07-30 13:33:29 »
That is very strange, scene.bin doesn't alter the equipment,  much less the characters, and much less Sephiroth...
Again, very weird.

The Skillster: I made a big text about the EXP in my mod... it is in the "Scene.bin editing" thread.
To make it short: I'm rising the exp in a few areas and reducing in others, but not enough to make the bosses easier.

Increased 25% of experience will not make the game cheaper. Supposing this 25% applied to the whole game, AND it meant y ou was supposed to get 1/4 more levels than you should (which we know the two affirmations are wrong), and supposing Cloud is in an area where his average level is 11 (and I will suppose that you will fight Guard Scorpion by level 11, which we all know it's possible, with patience, but I doubt anyone other than me keeps leveling up), that means his level will now be (rounding up) 14 (which would never be).
If by some ungodly reason you manage to get the maximum bonuses per level, and supposing your original Strength was 26, this means you will have a damage enhancement of (not counting weapons).
Original: 26 + 11+26/32 * 11*26/32 = 26 + 1,15*8,9 = 26+10 = 36
"Added" Experience: 35 + 14+35/32 * 14*35/32 = 35 + 1,5*15 = 57

Difference: 1,6x or an additional 60% damage.
Now compare his HP, which changed from 800 to 2000, an additional 150% value. The difference between this and the damage is of 120%, or more than the double. The "statistical" difference still overweights the "extra bonus", even if he, somehow, managed to give you a full effect through the whole. But this is all theorical. In the game, it won't even make that 60% different, or any at all.

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2005-07-31 12:53:37 »
Has anyone ever tried leveling up in that first area?? i tried with my new save game and ran out of potions. it took about five hours to get my health back up high enough to fight the boss because i couldn't find enough potions. by the time i got out of there barret and cloud where lv17.

Never will i try that again.

The Skillster: With the characters up higher level, over double what most people fight the first boss with the bolt spell still only did 150 damage to most enemies compaired to the usual 100 damage. the only real difference it made was my characters max health/mp(700/100).

This is ahh.. off topic but never mess with windows  :weep: .
its been a bad day today for me. uninstalling/reinstalling bah..

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2005-08-12 23:04:30 »
Hey Elentor, is this going to be pursued further ?

I'll most likely get some more free time to test further this weekend.

Karma Fiend

« Reply #71 on: 2005-08-15 02:51:35 »
i think this is a great idea, one i thought of frequently...

ive noticed this thread kinda died out the last couple weeks, im hoping this project wasnt abandoned...

i just downloaded the file, and will start playing tonight, ill post some feedback on it...

thanx for spending so much time on this!

peace

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2005-08-15 03:44:58 »
I've got mine completed and updated if anyone wants it.. only problem is the current link is and old file so you will have to PM your email address to me so i can send it too you.

It should be playable without needing to level up heavily like in the previous version.

Karma Fiend

« Reply #73 on: 2005-08-15 03:57:29 »
smithie, do you mean you completed like ur own version of this, and finished balancing/making more difficult the entire game?

im interested, im just curious to what the backround is for it, like how the difficulty is, what types of things are changed, and ur experience with it...

my email is :

[email protected]

thanks!

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2005-08-15 04:22:35 »
I will send it to you now.

I made it while waiting for elentor to finish of his. The entire game is completed, every stat of every creature is doubled except lv. the creature lv. has been change down to only 1 and 1/2 times their original value. The rewards and steal rates are also increased.

The entire game with the mod is now very playable, i've only just got vincent and am lv. 49( my group average is lv.43). Also you shouldn't be required to level up much anymore.