Author Topic: .  (Read 165616 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake is HAPPENING!
« Reply #375 on: 2015-09-01 17:37:52 »
I don' think the writers had much clue to be honest.  The ending is pretty weak imho compared to what it could have been.  I think they just got to the end and wanted it to be drawn out and "epic".  So the established story kind of went into the trash can.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 2015-09-10 09:48:31 »
This is getting better and better. Just had a talk with a guy who thinks they're really going to create a 1:1 scale open world FF7 remake containing most of the content of the original, and that it's going to happen within a relatively decent time-frame because "derp derp, look at Xenoblade Chronciles X for Wii U".

Yeah let's just ignore that the only other open world rpg SE has going for it on a next gen system that even comes close in scope to FF7 is FF15, which even if you ignore the pre-luminous transition will have taken 4 years to develop, and with that being said, a lot of its systems, designs etc. being straight up ports and reworks from the Versus 13 build on the Crystal Tools.
Let's just ignore that FF15 has been stated to possibly be the game that AAA console future of the franchise is resting on, which hasn't even been released yet.
Let's just ignore the fact that SE has several other large-scale AAA projects on their hands as we speak.
Let's just ignore the fact that almost all large-scale Nomura projects the last decade has faced enormous set-backs.
And finally, let's just ignore the fact that the three last major FF games in the franchise have all been stream-lined shells of what former FF games used to be, not prominently featuring even half of the kind of content you find in FF7-9.

What are these people smoking?
Seriously, Tabata and Co are having difficulties figuring out how to implement air-ships in FF15 for Christ's sake, due to the nature of the set-up of the game and people think SE will be able to just pull a true, 1:1 scale HD state-of-the-art graphics rendition of FF7 keeping most of not all of the original content?

If we grant that they won't cut any significant content, make a 1:1 scale open world, and that this might take a little but less time because its happening on an unreal engine rather than the difficult to use Luminous (which still isn't something I'm willing to just assume), we're still looking at somewhere around 4 years under optimal circumstances, minus the one year they've already been working at it.
That means a projected 2018 release, missing the anniversary, and worst of all putting it in mid-development at the release of one of their most costly projects(FF15) before they even know whether that game is going to sell well or not - which is catastrophic when you consider the costs likely associated with the remake itself, costs which the company are probably covering on the assumption that 15 will be a success and provide enough profit to carry the franchise over to its next release.

Also as a side note - has it been confirmed that the project is being outsourced to CyberConnect2?
I mean, the official site links to CyberConnect2's FFVII G-Bike, they've expressed interest in remaking the game, and I've seen news also mirrored in their wikipedia article that states that they're working on a next-gen console which
"is a photo-realistic role playing game targeted at the international market and is built using Unreal Engine 4 involving physics-based rendering.",
which seems consistent with what we know about the FF7 remake.

This raises alarms a lot though, since CyberConnect2 only have two games under their belts working with the PS4 up until this point, non of which are RPGs, and the only RPGs they've made are the Hack. series which are by most accounts really mediocre. They're also, last time I checked, a relatively small studio compared to the SE in-house ones.

Ayways, anyone know anything of substance?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 2015-09-10 16:47:04 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:07:49 by dkma841 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 2015-09-10 17:57:50 »
because its happening on an unreal engine rather than the difficult to use Luminous (which still isn't something I'm willing to just assume)
While they haven't said what engine they are using, they have already confirmed for certain they will not be using Luminous Engine. So no need to assume :P

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 2015-09-11 01:09:13 »
Reason why FF15 development was a mess was because first it was being developed for ps3, changed engine, then started developing for ps4, Luminous engine not up to snuff lot of technical problems, they dropped using this engine on Kingdom Hearts 3, they redone the whole game as they didn't like the Story etc.

Irrelevant. As I said, if we pretend the development started with the change in title and the porting to the Luminous engine, the game, by time of release will have been in development for 4 years, and that's with a lot of the systems, designs and resources having been worked on for several years prior.

In the case of the remake, everything is being made from scratch, which still punts it further back the line in terms of development than the point FF15 was at once the porting began back in 2012.

They haven't redone the entire game - A lot of the dev videos explicitly states that a lot of the work they're doing is porting the systems over from one engine to the other. Yes, they've re-written the story etc. but the leg-work of general designs, animations etc. seems to have carried over - and as anyone who works with game-development can vouch for, that's a much bigger part of development than say scripting story events or recording new dialogue.

I'm sure if they remake FF7 they would remake it also in Unreal Engine 4 just like they're doing with Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest XI. Would speed up development alot

Not really when you consider that the Unreal 4 Engine hasn't been used for a single open world, large scale RPG to date, and is a relatively new engine. Looking at Unreal 3 you won't find a single open world RPG for that either.

The only relatively noteworthy RPGs on I found for that engine (U3) was the Mass Effect series, and The Last Remnant.
That being said, Mass Effect 3 began development before Mass Effect 2 was even released giving it a development window of 3+ years despite being developed on the same engine as the 2 previous games by the same company.

The Last Remnant which is short, linear and not even close to being in the same camp as larger open world RPGs, still had a development cycle of around 2 years.

So, regardless of whether it's in-house or over at CyberConnect2, we're looking at a team working with a new engine, producing a type of game the engine isn't necessarily well-adapted to making, so it while it may be faster work than on the Luminous you have to take that into account, pluss the fact that they'll be making all the resources and systems for the game from scratch this time around, unlike FF15.

As I said - unless we're looking at really drastic changes and content cuts, this game isn't going to come out a couple of years, and letting the remake be stuck in production for 3+ years granted the gaming climate in Japan and the economical situation of SE is very unlikely.

It might be uncomfortable to think about, but it's getting more and more probably that what we're looking at here is a stream-lined, action-oriented release, where the predominant portion of the game-play and presentation will be more similar to that of the 13 trilogy than that of FF15, or earlier FF games.

While they haven't said what engine they are using, they have already confirmed for certain they will not be using Luminous Engine. So no need to assume :P

That's not what I meant by that statement - I meant that I am not willing to assume that it's necessarily more difficult for SE to work with the luminous engine in producing open-world RPGs, than for instance the Unreal 4 engine.
Since most games on Unreal 3/4 tend to be action/adventure/shooters, not RPGs, it might very well be the case that making an open world RPG on Unreal is complicated and time-consuming, maybe even more so than working on the Luminous engine which was designed expressly for that purpose.