Author Topic: Open call for ideas  (Read 50223 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Open call for ideas
« Reply #75 on: 2011-08-21 23:05:16 »
I'm personally in favor of text-only signatures with a character limit. Back in the days when they couldn't be disabled entirely and instead were limited to just one character, my signature was é.

However, I'm pretty sure the issue has been brought up before, and always ends with "no".

Covarr is awesome 2011!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2011-08-21 23:08:33 »
256 characters max, allowing pictures would be fine, with the option of entirely disabling them.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-08-21 23:52:31 »
There is no reason for having signatures.  Feel free to make the argument you could link to important things in them, but even if you did just have helpful links, people will ignore them.   Others will fill it with things they think are funny and stupid pictures/memes, and then the forums look completely cluttered and stupid.

By all means, everyone interested in having them go ahead and post an exact depiction of what yours would be.  Who knows, maybe someone will be able to make a strong argument for them.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2011-08-22 02:40:03 »

I help newbies, but please read before asking.

NVNiko

• A wannabe nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-08-22 03:00:05 »
There's absolutely no reason to allow pictures in a signature.  But I say put them in so people could drop some helpful links that others might be interested in.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-08-22 03:01:43 »
Maybe allow them and disable them for people that don't deserve it. Or allow it only for people with 100+ posts or so. Well, you see the point.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-08-22 14:31:42 »
or put links to mods that person made

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2011-08-22 14:59:27 »
Yes, Qhimm needs a mod registry to keep all of the download links in one place.  Even after months of scouring the forum, I continue to find new treasures.
I'm trying to keep track of everything in a Bootleg Mod List, but it's really not satisfactory.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-08-22 17:18:43 »
Most of it can be found on the wiki, specifically this page.

Does SMF have an option to have an external link mixed in with the boards? It would make the wiki WAY easier to find, since many people go straight to the forums and many don't even know it exists. I imagine it something like this:

Read this first!
>Announcements and Site Development
>Frequently Asked Questions
>Wiki

Final Fantasy Forums
>etc

Off-Topic Forums
>etc

Project Forums
>etc

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-08-22 17:35:48 »
Yes it does. I will look into it later.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-08-22 23:47:36 »
There is no reason for having signatures.  Feel free to make the argument you could link to important things in them, but even if you did just have helpful links, people will ignore them.   Others will fill it with things they think are funny and stupid pictures/memes, and then the forums look completely cluttered and stupid.

I suggest that an option for a 350х40 (standard bigbar res) image and a limited text support (256 symbols) should be added . Most of the funny/stupid pictures don't fit into that resolution. Images with identical resolution and allingment (centered for example) would make the forum more livelier and not cluttered. And the text would give an option to highlight usefull links or other information. I know that you work hard to make the forums clean, but it's too clean.  You should make an experiment, and only if it will be a complete failture, than you disable it again. ;D

IMHO it'll bring more life to this forums

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2011-08-23 02:04:41 »
The Wiki page is very outdated.
I unsuccessfully attempted to edit the Wiki entry.
I was unable to create an account.
Who is in charge of maintaining the FF7 Wiki?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-08-23 02:29:33 »
There's no one person in charge of updating it; basically anybody with wiki access edits it when they feel like it/see a problem. If you need something changed, you're free to give me a holler by PM or in the IRC. I'm not sure who all else has wiki access, but we try to keep it relatively maintained.

You think it's outdated now, you shoulda seen it before I got to it. There were some dead links, links to years-old versions of things, tools that have been replaced with better, less-crashy ones, etc. Nowadays not everything is in there, but it's at least enough to get people playing the game properly.

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-08-23 05:18:18 »
If anyone can get the Wiki looking organized it's PitBrat.  He seems like an ultra organized person.  Can't wait to see the new Wiki after he tears through it.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-08-23 16:26:06 »
The link to the wiki is live now. I also think pitbrat would be good to redo some of the wiki as he has everything very organized. Perhaps halkun could give him wiki access?

pdub2520

• Learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-08-27 04:51:42 »
How about a page about the creator... like: "Qhimm: The man who gave us a roof." Or something fun like that. Just a brief bio of the man. Don't really know why I thought of that. Hell.. why not a few moderator bios in general... I like filling my head with information on people that aren't me.

Just sayin....

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-08-29 04:05:09 »
Please don't change the look of this forum !

Some websites are totally overloaded with user pictures/logos/signatures so you can't see the important things. And the best idea they got, make the background black and the text color dark gray. If you want to read, you must hit CTRL-A.

I like this forum, because the look is clean and simple. The colors of the background/boxes/text perfectly fit together. I am a little "color handicapped", my first computer was a Commodore 64
(blue, if you know what i mean).

OK, i know you're all great creative's who want to explain themselves with extraordinary logos
and signatures. But when one starts the others are following and everything messes up.

The most important thing in my opinion is, reading should not hurt your eyes.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-30 00:31:14 by UGerstl »

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-08-29 15:46:37 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:15:43 by Jenova's Witness »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: 2011-09-06 12:09:36 »
I don't like signatures. They disrupt the clean look of the forum, they increase moderator workload, and I'm not convinced they're useful.

Also,

It's annoying enough when I plaster my sig at the end of every post.
Can you imagine if everyone were doing it!
ACK!!!
-PitBrat

This is another bugbear of mine - what *is* it with people who make their profile name a signature? Do they assume I can't see the name to the side of their post? Do they think I'll forget it half way through? Honestly.