Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Xylomod - Overhaul Project (Released)  (Read 1580 times)

ducladoncladon

• View Profile
Topic discontinued. See the release page for info and discussing the mod :
https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=21375.msg288962#msg288962

Hello,

I'm almost finished with an overall mod and wanted to ask here for Mcindus' permission to use parts of his mods I've been using. (Tripod and SeeDReborn)
Xylomod - Overall Project (gameplay, graphics and some other stuff)

One part of this overall is the Triple Triad.
I've used artworks of FF8 and some others to make new cards. A picture is worth a thousand words :

Artworked Triple Triad - Card Replacement

As you can see some monsters were removed and some characters like Biggs or Xu were added. Sorceress 1 and 3 were recolored to match with their new battle texture. So I'll need to make a patch of the FF8_EN.exe. I may or may not need help for this. I didn't look into it yet.
This uses Mcindus' Card backs. And I've also been using Mcindus' SeeDReborn's elemental symbols :
« Last Edit: 2023-04-26 20:56:48 by ducladoncladon »

ducladoncladon

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Xylomod - Overhaul Project (Released)
« Reply #1 on: 2023-04-10 15:51:14 »
Another part of this overall in graphical changes is the costumes.

What I did was use Tonberry's tool and edited Mcindus' weapons and character .png to make variants for every characters.
Each weapon comes with a different costume and you have various save points in the game (e.g. BGU dormitory for Squall) that allows you to switch between your normal (called casual for now) and alternate (called Dressed-up) outfit set. It only works for Squall, Zell, Selphie, Laguna, Kiros and Ward.

I'm well aware all costume are not of the same quality and I'll be glad to hear what you think about them. So here they are :

Troubleshooting :
By doing tests I noticed that Selphie's morning star costume is bugged (Her face is different from the uniform file)
Irvine's costume (except Exeter for some reason) are all showing a default costume from another file when (and only when) you use magic with him. That's weird.
And his Valiant costume loads his Exeter's costume except for the weapon...
Rinoa's Cardinal loads the rising sun costume except for the weapon just like Irvine.

The overall will feature a modded version of the Weapons monthly now called Adventurer's guide to Dollet, Timber, etc.... You'll have the junk shop ability from the start (now called dressing) allowing you to change outfit anytime anywhere.
You get no bonus for changing outfit and Squall has all his finishers from the get go. That means that you can do lionheart from scratch. And while I understand it can feel like a big cheat I nerfed it (a lot) so that you'll not be able to do massive damage with it until late in the game.

I'll add more later. I'd like to know how to debug the issues I pointed out. So if you have a piece of advice, please let me know.
« Last Edit: 2023-04-26 21:01:33 by ducladoncladon »

gunner_1207

• If your upright an above ground,its a gd day
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Xylomod - Overall Project
« Reply #2 on: 2023-04-12 19:37:36 »
Dude these are stunning, i would play triad for days with those cards. must of been a lot of work already, the costume changes are fascinating i have always wanted different outfits, very curious as to how that would actually work in field and battle for example.   

Lunarian

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Xylomod - Overall Project
« Reply #3 on: 2023-04-13 14:15:43 »
These look fantastic! I can't wait to see how the mod turns out.

ducladoncladon

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Xylomod - Overhaul Project (Released)
« Reply #4 on: 2023-04-13 15:52:41 »
Dude these are stunning, i would play triad for days with those cards. must of been a lot of work already, the costume changes are fascinating i have always wanted different outfits, very curious as to how that would actually work in field and battle for example.

Thanks. I'd be interested in it as well. But for now I could only figure out a way to do the in-combat models.
I don't know how to make it work for fields.

These look fantastic! I can't wait to see how the mod turns out.

Thank you. Sorry, I didn't see your reply earlier. Probably because you need confirmation from a moderator.  It's released here : https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=21375.0 Give me your feedback anytime.
« Last Edit: 2023-04-26 21:06:24 by ducladoncladon »