Author Topic: Hardest games you've ever played?  (Read 50995 times)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
Hardest games you've ever played?
« on: 2010-12-03 21:51:19 »
being in the spirit of top ten, and wanting attention, I thought it would be fun to think of the hardest games you've ever played. One I can think of is Sniper Elite for the PS2. It was insanely long, and you stood no chance of survival if you were discovered. I still thought it was fun, but it was damn hard. And in my opinion, FF8 was hard. The story is great, but for people just coming off of FF7, the system was hard to get used to. The materia slots worked so well and were easy to follow, and you could learn them quick. I personally don't think that could be said of FF8, but hey, that's just me.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest games you've ever played?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-03 22:42:45 »
I Wanna Be The Guy

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-03 22:58:23 »
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is pretty hard. It's also not a good game, because the challenge comes from Simon-type memorization, and even perfect reflexes cannot help if you do not know what is coming.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of the hardest games I've played in a long time, but I don't mind, because I can always tell that it's my fault when I lose.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-03 23:17:55 »
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is pretty hard.

Oh God I just had traumatic flashbacks.

Not to my childhood, but to when I attempted to get into that game a couple of years ago. I was over 20 and it still kicked my arse so hard I didn't bother trying to get past the first level.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-04 05:18:13 »
Donkey Kong Country Returns

I've heard nothing but good about this game.  I've got it on my HDD, gonna transfer it to my wii's hdd when I sober up a bit

Affenhirn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-04 08:44:37 »
Why don't you buy it instead...

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-04 13:14:04 »
ninja gaiden series is legendary for difficulty.

god of war 2 - laugh all you want but i never got past the phoenix revival challenge (the hall with fire).

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-04 17:29:23 »
Dude, I agree, it took me forever with God of War. And I have to admit, Shadow of the Colossus had its hard times too, because whenever you failed, the trek to get back to the monster took fucking forever.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-04 19:21:59 »
Why don't you buy it instead...

Because unlike most everybody else on this forum, I'm a horrible human being.  I'm also flat broke 98% of the time...

Affenhirn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-04 20:20:52 »
I don't want to argue about morals, I just don't get it, why many people are not willing to pay for a good game.

Everywhere you here complaints about nintendo not caring enough for their core gamer audience. Then they throw out a well made game with something you could actually call a classic difficulty level at last, and people still don't think it's worth its money and download it.

I mean, seriousley, is it not for your own good if games like dkc sell well, so nintendo sees that there are still people interested in some good old difficult jump and run action?

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-04 20:47:24 »
Hexen 2 is hard. Hexen 1 was difficult but that was because it was a lot of searching for different items and keys for the puzzles - but once you know them you can run through it like its nothing.

Some of Hexen II's hardest puzzles CHANGE when you load the friggin game. Still, its a great game and it supports coop play.

Also, Descent 2 on insane difficulty. 

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-12-04 22:55:37 »
Tomb Raider 2 getting all secrets without the internet/a guide.

Nuff said.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-12-05 01:46:36 »
Hell ya I forgot about Tomb Raider, that shit is hard. I never erally liked the "arcade" modes of games like Tekken or The Warriors, where you go down a bunch of streets fighting bunches of bad guys, with bosses at the end. I could do it fine in Streets of Rage or Golden Axe, but they set the difficulty too high in more modern games.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-12-05 02:34:47 »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES.  Never finished it without cheating.  Same applies to Snake rattle and roll -  NES

TinySarabia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-12-05 05:50:09 »
As of present, I'm playing HOMEWORLD 2. Damn it is such a hard game... I noticed recently that the AI is absolutely brilliant in this game, it adjust to the players strengths, making you weak and at a disadvantage always as you go through the levels. And not to forget that you are playing in a 3D plane of space. 1 mission can take you at least an hour to complete.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-12-05 06:59:55 »
- Shadow of the Beast on Sega Genesis (you take 15 hits and you die. No continue)
- Thunder Force III on Sega Genesis (I don't know why, but I could never finish this shoot'em up)
- the original Shinobi (frustration, frustration... ...and if you reached the final boss without the gun, you were basically screwed IIRC)
- Kid Chameleon on Sega Genesis (no saves, and +100 levels ?... ...Who beat that thing ?)

...Yeah, those are games from my time ^^ I oddly don't remember more recent games that give that "it's hard" feeling. Maybe I'll think of more later. Oh, and I second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES (as well as Tomb Raider 3 and Ghouls 'n Ghosts / Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - never had a problem finishing Tomb Raider 2, but was constantly stuck on 3).
« Last Edit: 2010-12-05 07:02:51 by Armorvil »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-12-05 07:11:56 »
who framed roger rabbit on the NES. Not only did the game give you barely any information on what to do, there were so many useless locations. You could die quick as hell, and half the items you could pick up were never usable anywhere in the game. Overall it was very confusing and difficult.

I 2nd Kid Chameleon as well, that game was crazy hard. There was a secret in one of the first levels that let you skip a large majority of the game though. I actually beat it when i was a kid....though i think it took nearly an entire summer break and 2 friends to switch on and off with.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-12-05 08:01:27 »
I don't want to argue about morals, I just don't get it, why many people are not willing to pay for a good game.

Everywhere you here complaints about nintendo not caring enough for their core gamer audience. Then they throw out a well made game with something you could actually call a classic difficulty level at last, and people still don't think it's worth its money and download it.

I mean, seriousley, is it not for your own good if games like dkc sell well, so nintendo sees that there are still people interested in some good old difficult jump and run action?

Oh, I firmly agree.  I can't say I'm not willing to pay for a good game.  I can't even come close to saying that.  It's just monetarily, I can't afford it.  Usually when I pirate a game, if I like it enough, I buy it.  Unfortunately, that list keeps growing longer and longer, so I've developed a tendency to only buy games if I buy the collectors edition, or the bundle that comes with the peripheral required to play it.  Sadly, this only sets me back further (a prime example would be Punch Out!! for the Wii, great game, pirated it, WANT to buy it, but I keep getting set back, by other things like Rock Band 3.  I LOVE Rock Band, so I bought it with the Keyboards so I had another instrument for the game, that set me back $130, which I could've bought several of my backlogged games with.)

Enough about my morals though, back to hard-ass-games.

Contra, no Konami Code.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #18 on: 2010-12-08 18:18:31 »
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii). 

Your tactical skills would have to be the level of Napolean Bonaparte in order to beat it even on normal mode (and you'd have to be a computer in order to beat it on hard mode).  If you make even the tiniest error in the middle of a long and difficult battle, the enemy will exploit it and kill one of your characters.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-12-08 22:42:30 »
Amnesia is probably the hardest game i ever played, mainly due to its "scaryness".
(i defy you to play it at night with headphones)

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-12-09 00:17:26 »
I would say Blazing Dragons in PSX. I thought that this would be a bad ass game at first because of the title. But it turned out to be a puzzle-like kinda needs logic game.

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-12-09 01:01:05 »
Hmmmm that depends of a lot of things... first the age when i've played and then the dificulty level I would say Shadow of The Colossus was a little tough some Colossi took me a lot of time to find out...

When i was younger there were a game, a ninja one from nintendo 64 i remember very well... Goemon's Great Adventure that's the hardest game i've ever played judging the difficulty level, i don't know if today i could be able to beat it the game was freakin awesome and i couldn't pass the part of the giant robot race thing ahahaha... great times...

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-12-09 01:18:23 »
Superman 64

Seriously, the visuals make you wanna puke, the controls give you Nintendo Thumb within 5 seconds, I don't even know if there was a plot.  It was just...  HORRID, and because of this, it's a fucking chore to sit through it, so, right there, hardest game ever.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-12-09 02:07:06 »
(i defy you to play it at night with headphones)

I defied you when it first came out, son.  8-)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-12-09 04:16:10 »
I remember playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire on N64. It took forever to beat Boba Fett, and man, when we did, fuckin streamers came down from the ceiling. It was awesome.