Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4894904 times)

Walter253

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.3)
« Reply #1000 on: 2015-04-08 16:43:16 »
Hi Sega Chief, I've noticed your message but I can't answer, I'm not allowed to send PM.
So I come there to thanks you and... not asking other question here i won't spam your thread.
Your answer in PM is sufficient for now I'll experimente

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: 2015-04-08 21:35:17 »
Really nice and polished mod, im in just the beggining and i was wondering how much difficult this mod adds to the game. Lets say that the vanilla game is "very easy" on difficulty, what would be new threat?  "normal"? "hard"? "very hard"?
Edit: And how it compares to "gjoerulv's Hardcore mod" ?
thanks and sorry the bad english.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-08 21:37:02 by rgmarks »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: 2015-04-08 22:31:02 »
It's tough to say, we'll say normal for the most part with a few hard fights here and there (but it depends on the player's approach, their experience with the game, and how adaptable they are; even something as simple as ATB settings can change the game drastically). One problem right now though is that the level cap doesn't really do the job it was originally intended to do (which can result in the game slipping right back to very easy when you're doing end-game stuff at Lv.60+) but the replacement will sort it out once the update is finished.

As far as a comparison goes, NT and Hardcore have different pacing; Hardcore was designed to push a player's knowledge of the vanilla game to the limit as the enemies there are designed to combat the myriad of OP mechanics at the player's disposal. A lot of the later bosses are also more like 'puzzles', and overall the mod is a long, grueling, but ultimately rewarding experience (and a player generally comes away with a much better understanding of the game's battle system by the end of it).

NT on the other hand is about speed and adjusting mechanics to try and find a stable curve that's accessible to more people; the main 'feature' of NT, though, is freshening the game up for people who are already very familiar with it. The goal was to make fights different and challenging, but intuitive and benign enough that they could be figured out quickly and beaten. That being said, there's a few fights in NT that can be quite tricky.

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: 2015-04-08 22:40:38 »
wow, nice, i think i get it now. Good to know, im gonna wait for the next update of new threat, any idea when its coming out?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: 2015-04-08 23:31:19 »
Tough to say, there's still a few things to do; within two weeks is the most likely.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: 2015-04-09 00:25:25 »
Oh yeah, reading about pearl reminds me that you can still cast it while turned into a frog- not sure if that's included already in your fix.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: 2015-04-09 00:37:51 »
Oh yeah, reading about pearl reminds me that you can still cast it while turned into a frog- not sure if that's included already in your fix.

Can you? That's quite interesting; I wonder if that's to do with the flag or the actual animation used itself. If it's the animation, then might not be much to be done about it. But I think the Frog status cancels the Magic command at least, although it could still be used with Magic Counter/Final Attack (assuming Planet Materia hasn't been mastered).

By the by, here's a screencap of the 'evening' shade I've went with. Let me know if it looks evening-y enough:

http://imgur.com/fnE1cqL&XdLwAdE#1

And a cap of the regular screen for comparison:

http://imgur.com/fnE1cqL&XdLwAdE#0

Edit: Had to jump through a few hoops, but NT will now have a Normal and Expert difficulty setting that will be set at the very start of the game (just after Barret runs off). Expert will boost enemy parameters, half EXP, and unlock stronger attacks. It'll also affect certain things on the field too, so keep an eye out if you play it.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-09 02:42:33 by Sega Chief »

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: 2015-04-09 04:47:17 »
I think in the base game you are still able to cast 'Toad' while under the status effect (to turn you back), and it looks like 'Pearl' has taken on this property in the change. The new 'Lagomorph' spell can't be cast while a toad (I just checked), maybe it would be a suitable candidate to switch with 'Pearl' if you can't change the property?

Oh yeah, and that colour looks good! :D

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: 2015-04-09 15:02:23 »
hey sega chief

are you gonna add store hours to this mod as well
« Last Edit: 2015-04-09 15:16:07 by Zara9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: 2015-04-09 15:29:58 »
hey sega chief

are you gonna add store hours to this mod as well

No, shops and any important NPCs will be always be available.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: 2015-04-11 05:54:23 »
Heya Sega Chief, it's been a while. I was that odd guy who watched your FF7 Gjoerulv's Hardcore Mod videos while playing through the mod, and I commented on the videos as I got to the bosses. I had mentioned that Demi worked on several of those bosses.

I finally decided to pick this mod up and play it through. Almost instantly, I'm having a problem. When using Cure+All, the spell seems to be reflecting off my characters, and I have no idea why. I tried looking around some for info on it, but I ant find any. Would this possibly have something to do with the ALL materia itself? or maybe the luck -2 it gives perhaps? or is it just chance that ive only used Cure against enemies that cast reflect on me?

Specifically this has happened in various random battles in the second reactor and against the Buster boss after it.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-11 06:03:52 by Mirenheart »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: 2015-04-11 11:39:11 »
You're being given the Reflect status by certain enemies in the Reactor. Special Combatants use an attack called Beta Wave after several of their turns have elapsed, which inflicts the Reflect status (a kind of prelude to what the boss uses; they can usually be killed before they use this). Plasma Buster himself opens with Rainbow Bomber which sticks Reflect onto the entire party. For that, healing items are the way to go as they're a little more potent in this mod (300HP when using a potion in-battle). If you don't have enough of those, they can either be dropped by the local enemies or you can get rid of Reflect either by bouncing a spell off the afflicted character four times (Bolt would likely be the best choice) or if the character is killed and revived (last resort).

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: 2015-04-11 11:50:36 »
Hey

would anyone know how to make a patch on genesis063 mod

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: 2015-04-11 12:07:50 »
hey

keep up the great work on this mod
« Last Edit: 2015-04-11 12:09:52 by Zara9 »

SenMithrarin85

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: 2015-04-11 13:25:55 »
Hey, Sega. Just wondering if you could give my friend some advice. He's attempting to defeat the Bomb King, Gil Turtle and Godberry bosses and is at a loss. Could you give some advice about them? Thanks.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: 2015-04-11 14:57:41 »
I'm on my lunch break just now; when I finish my shift at 22:00 tonight I'll run through the info on those bosses.

Walter253

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: 2015-04-11 18:45:56 »
Hi SegaChief
What kind of issue can happen if I mix your patch with my own scene.bin/kernel.bin ?
My guess is that some battle would be broke since the scene.bin are different, but I could still edit the scene that make problem.
But maybe there is some other issue that can be expected.
I've look the Let's play from LetCreativityPlay on Youtube; your mod is very well made and Im wondering if I can mix up your fflevel and battle.lgp with different scene/kernel
My main reason is that I won't loose the change I made on kernel/scene but still want have the stuff you made :d (the lazyness ll kill me a day)

PS: i got the french version of the game in case that help.

EDIT: well I'm aware this request sound "egoist" and you probably don't had the time before for try this and maybe you don't know what can happen. I'm going to experiment it anyway and give you feedback about if you want.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-11 18:54:47 by Walter253 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: 2015-04-11 21:37:47 »
Hi SegaChief
What kind of issue can happen if I mix your patch with my own scene.bin/kernel.bin ?
My guess is that some battle would be broke since the scene.bin are different, but I could still edit the scene that make problem.
But maybe there is some other issue that can be expected.
I've look the Let's play from LetCreativityPlay on Youtube; your mod is very well made and Im wondering if I can mix up your fflevel and battle.lgp with different scene/kernel
My main reason is that I won't loose the change I made on kernel/scene but still want have the stuff you made :d (the lazyness ll kill me a day)

PS: i got the french version of the game in case that help.

EDIT: well I'm aware this request sound "egoist" and you probably don't had the time before for try this and maybe you don't know what can happen. I'm going to experiment it anyway and give you feedback about if you want.

I wasn't ignoring you; if you read my post above, I said I was going to be at work until 22:00 (10pm). Now, regarding what you're doing there are two serious things that are likely to happen (assuming you're working from a default scene/kernel and not NT ones):

1) You are going to get crashes when the game tries to load encounters that don't exist or which have no data in your scene.bin. Earliest this could potentially happen is in the 1st Reactor when you free Jessie's leg, but you might get a working debug fight for that and avoid the issue. You'll definitely encounter a crash sooner or later though.

2) Certain items are given out by enemies/events that are new, but they'll have 'blank' data in your kernel. Not sure how this will go down; I don't know if they'll cause a crash or not.

As far as using french files goes though, it should be compatible with the flevel, etc.

Hey, Sega. Just wondering if you could give my friend some advice. He's attempting to defeat the Bomb King, Gil Turtle and Godberry bosses and is at a loss. Could you give some advice about them? Thanks.

This might depend on which version he's playing; if it's 7H then it'll be 1.2, but if it's the normal installer then it'll be 1.3. There were some changes to these enemies between versions; I'll go with the 1.3 version of these enemies but if it is 1.2 then let me know.

Spoilers follow; to see the text, highlight it.

-) Gil Turtle

This guy's main trick is that he tries to store up MP so he can use a 'burst' of Contain spells when he's below half HP, or to use Foreclosure which can trigger anytime when a counter rises above 3; this counter will increase whenever Gil turtle has an 'inactive' turn. He only has 400MP total, so if you can keep this down it'll cripple these attacks. To do this, you might need to consider MP-damaging attacks and to keep your own party's MP as low as possible, to prevent Turtle from draining your MP to restore his own.

As far as your attacks go, you'll want to use Earth in some way (either as + Elemental in the weapon, or the spell) and having a Reflect Ring can help bounce back his own Contain spells for some extra damage if you rely on items to heal. He has 35,000HP overall and the Sleep status works on him, so try hitting him with that if you need some breathing space.

-) Bomb King

The King appears with four enemies called Vassal Bombs that will remove a party member from the battle if their HP reaches 0 and they detonate. So in addition to keeping your own party alive, you'll need to juggle keeping these Bombs alive too. The kind of attacks King will use also depends on how you hit him; if you favour physical attacks, he'll use physical attacks as well. If you use Magic, he'll favour Chain Detonation which hits everything on the field + has a chance to inflict Dual Drain. You can counter Dual Drain on the Bombs by either casting Dispel or Regen on them, or by applying Resist to them through either the Resist spell or a Vaccine item; Dual Drain is 'invisible' normally, but you can keep an eye on the Bombs' HP using Sense as they each have lower than 30,000HP.

The Bomb King has about 134,000HP, and will periodically counter magic damage with the Beta enemy skill. You can either Silence him to prevent this counter, or you could maybe equip fire absorption to have it heal you instead; if you do go with magic damage, then make sure to keep the Bombs' HP topped up, keep an eye out for them getting inflicted by Dual Drain, and watch out for an alternate version of Chain Detonation which, like Aps' Sewer Tsunami, will hit your party for back-attack damage. Barrier is definitely recommended, along with equipment for high physical defence. For damage, the Earth element is effective again but don't use anything with the Shoot element (some of the Bahamut summons will have this element).

-) Goldberry (the current name is a typo)

This is a complicated one. The fight is opened with Chef's Curse which sets a flag to have the party absorb the Restorative element. ThGoldberries have a chance to counter damage with one of 5 different variations of Golden Grudge:
#1) Inflicts damage equal to number of escapes, inflicts Poison, Confu, Mini, Dual, and Death Sentence.
#2) Inflicts 1/8th of current MP as damage, inflicts Reflect
#3) Increases the size of the target (no negative effects)
#4) Inflicts damage equal to half of the target's Max HP
#5) Inflicts damage equal to 3/4 of the target's Current HP

But the bamfoolery doesn't end there. When a Goldberry moves right, they get the Reflect status. When they move left, they get the Peerless status which doesn't display until they are struck. When they move forward, both these statuses are removed. You can also remove these faster by casting Debarrier on them.

To kill them, the best/fastest method, but riskiest, is to sweep the Goldberries with strong multi-target magic and then trying to recover from the counter-attack. If your friend beats Bomb King first and gets Quadra Magic, they can use that with a Summon or a spell like Ultima. For healing, use elemental damage/absorption (for instance, if you set your party up to absorb Fire damage you can use Fire spells to heal up; Goldberries don't have any attacks that Barriers will help with, so MBarrier isn't needed).

Hope that helps.

Edit: My effort to hide the text was an abject failure.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-11 21:46:49 by Sega Chief »

Walter253

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: 2015-04-11 23:49:33 »
I wasn't ignoring you

I did not said this, it's a misunderstood, look like I've to work my english more. Sorry about that.

Anyway thanks for the answer.

1)Ok it was I tought, so basically when a crash appear due to this, the thing to do is to check the encounter call with Makou Reactor and then check out on Proud Clod.

For example if you call the battle 1008 with Makou, then I've to check the scene, which is 3F0 in PrC and make sure that scene is a working battle. Right?

2)Well I tried this, it don't crash the game, the item are just "dummy" and are unusable but sellable in shop :D
In fact I already made custom item to replace the blank space in wall market. It could be funny to see what item I can found.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-12 00:02:32 by Walter253 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: 2015-04-12 03:34:54 »
1)Ok it was I tought, so basically when a crash appear due to this, the thing to do is to check the encounter call with Makou Reactor and then check out on Proud Clod.

For example if you call the battle 1008 with Makou, then I've to check the scene, which is 3F0 in PrC and make sure that scene is a working battle. Right?

2)Well I tried this, it don't crash the game, the item are just "dummy" and are unusable but sellable in shop :D
In fact I already made custom item to replace the blank space in wall market. It could be funny to see what item I can found.

Pretty much. Whenever a crash occurs as a battle tries to load, you'll need to check the field screen (the encounter table if it was a random battle, the scripts if it was a boss battle) and then change it to something that exists in your scene.bin. The way I work out which scene a battle is in is by dividing the number by 4; so battle 1008 would be 1008/4 = Scene 252. Each scene contains four formations, so if you have a remainder left over from the division then:

1008/4 = 252.0 (1st formation)
1009/4 = 252.25 (2nd formation)
1010/4 = 252.50 (3rd formation)
1011/4 = 252.75 (4th formation)

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: 2015-04-12 08:22:26 »
For Bomb King, one of the things that helped me out a bunch was the little bombs being vulnerable to 'Remove', I think I probably got Quadra Magic a bit earlier than I would have otherwise as a result. Not sure if this option is intentional, as it seems I missed out on a cool battle as a result!  ;) (the thought of healing them didn't occur to me- I figured it might be a time limiting thing like some of the other bosses) thinking about it now, 'Finishing Touch' would probably be super effective!

I'll have another stab at the Goldberries next, as I've cleared the extra battles (lots of fun). Did you say the 'Hero's Medal' was there to trigger a tougher final battle?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: 2015-04-12 13:02:35 »
For Bomb King, one of the things that helped me out a bunch was the little bombs being vulnerable to 'Remove', I think I probably got Quadra Magic a bit earlier than I would have otherwise as a result. Not sure if this option is intentional, as it seems I missed out on a cool battle as a result!  ;) (the thought of healing them didn't occur to me- I figured it might be a time limiting thing like some of the other bosses) thinking about it now, 'Finishing Touch' would probably be super effective!

I'll have another stab at the Goldberries next, as I've cleared the extra battles (lots of fun). Did you say the 'Hero's Medal' was there to trigger a tougher final battle?

Yeah, the medal triggers a different version of the final battle. There's a save point just before it though, so no worries.

Walter253

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: 2015-04-12 19:20:56 »
Hm, somehow the installer won't patch the fflevel.lgp . It patched scene.bin kernel.bin kernel2.bin battle.lgp char.lgp as well.
I did try all the link provides in the first post, I'll try to restart my pc right now maybe it's the problem (my bad there is some windows update that wait for a restard damn : d )

At first it said me some files was protected in writing, I did double check, there is none file that are in "read only" .
Going to reboot the PC.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-12 19:24:11 by Walter253 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: 2015-04-12 19:37:04 »
Make sure that the installer is set to Admin, is unblocked, and has full writing permissions; to set writing permissions, go into properties then security tab and for Users, edit the permissions for full control. Alternatively, you could make a copy of the data folder and put it on your Desktop; that way it won't be in a protected folder like Program Files.

Walter253

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: 2015-04-12 19:41:09 »
Was going to edit . The PC reboot did not change anything.
I never install games in Progam Files for this reason. My FF7 is on C:\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII

to set writing permissions, go into properties then security tab and for Users, edit the permissions for full control.

Let's try.

EDIT:

So I did notified this option (I've never seen this before) and clicked on unlock.

Then I did check this.

Also got a look for data. I did the thing you adviced , put the files in desktop. I also desactived my antivirus in case he was the thing that break. (you can see on the screen the avira is closed).

But It won't patch fflevel anyway.

EDIT2: same result by putting the installer and the data folder in the public deskop.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-12 20:31:36 by Walter253 »