Author Topic: What should and shouldn't be installed for FFVII Steam Realease?  (Read 6426 times)

hgdagon

• View Profile
First of all, being a member of another gaming community, I understand how frustrating it is when newbies come around asking stupid questions, so I solemnly apologize if any of my questions sound stupid! Also I have never played FFVII before (When I first got it back in 2000, it totally scared me away, the models had no hands, there were different models on field and in battle...), so please make your comments as spoilerless as possible.

I have the Steam Release v1.0.9 (the one with "reworked" music). So, I'm a bit confused as of what should I install.
First of all I decided to download only those files that I need, since 16 GB is something I can't afford, considering I placed the bootleg itself on my USB Flash.

1) What FMV and Soundtrack enhancements do I need?

2) What Should I never install (e.g. Any CD Loader, or something else that could be incompatible with Re-release data files)

3) I'm going to use FF7 Game Converter v0.11 by Kompass63, will I need to install the "Keyboard Patch" if I don't want to play with the numpad?

4) Do I need "New SoundFX"?

5) In order to save space I deleted all the movies and music in Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_v2-5-1_Installer.exe (end size: 472 MB). Will the bootleg recognize/use it correctly?

6) Bootleg let's me replace the models (Finally!). But the model I like is available only as a field model (or vice versa). Can I have the same model both in game and in battle?
« Last Edit: 2014-06-19 14:48:28 by hgdagon »

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
This was my biggest frustration when I started. I will say this first. If you don't have the freedom of space you'll run into a lot of problems. I started out with trial and error until I got the game exactly to how I wanted. The problem with that is I ended up using around 20 GB. I've since then organized and got rid of what I wasn't using which lowered the hard drive consumption. You could consider a small external hard drive. They can be quite cheap.

hgdagon

• View Profile
This was my biggest frustration when I started. I will say this first. If you don't have the freedom of space you'll run into a lot of problems. I started out with trial and error until I got the game exactly to how I wanted. The problem with that is I ended up using around 20 GB. I've since then organized and got rid of what I wasn't using which lowered the hard drive consumption. You could consider a small external hard drive. They can be quite cheap.

So it's REQUIRED to have them all? Another thing I forgot to mention is that the only files I didn't download were the FMV and music files, since I don't know which are better than what I already have. Thanks anyway.

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
No not required. Just found it easier to get everything and then narrow it down. And there is a way to convert field to battle. I'm just not familiar with it

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel

You don't necessarily need any, but Rumbah for FMV and Anxious Heart or FinalFantasyTim for soundtracks are my recommendations.

2) What Should I never install (e.g. Any CD Loader, or something else that could be incompatible with Re-release data files)

Question 3) says you're using the FF7 GC, so everything will be compatible. It's a matter of user preference at that point.

3) I'm going to use FF7 Game Converter v0.11 by Kompass63, will I need to install the "Keyboard Patch" if I don't want to play with the numpad?

No, you don't need to install it. If you have a numpad, you will start with those as your controls. When you first gain control of your character, open the menu and go to Config to change your controls.

You don't need them. Since it's your first playthrough, I would recommend playing with the default sounds. There are some "iconic" sounds that people refer to on the internet that I believe are good to experience for your first playthrough.

5) In order to save space I deleted all the movies and music in Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_v2-5-1_Installer.exe (end size: 472 MB). Will the bootleg recognize/use it correctly?

I've never done that before, so you'll be testing it for us. When you run the install process, you'll see text in the command box that will indicate what's going on. There is also an install log at the end to check. Let us know your results.

6) Bootleg let's me replace the models (Finally!). But the model I like is available only as a field model (or vice versa). Can I have the same model both in game and in battle?

If it's not available for battle, it's not available. Mods are all up to the modders choice, and sometimes things like a field model doesn't get converted to a battle model. I'm sure if you ask around, someone may be able to tell you how to convert it and you can manually do it yourself. It's not an easy task, but it's doable by anyone who puts a little time and effort into it I think.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile

None if you want minimal install.

Everything is compatible.

No. As Alyza said, you can change the controls once you get in the game.

It is not required.

Bootleg does not check for file size. However, this has never been tested and it is possible that errors arise. The movies are not used, but the music tracks are, if I recall correctly. It might work.

Sadly no, at least not yet. Converting a model between field and battle is harder than it sounds, since they're not the same filetype. The models listed are what you can have.

I have the Steam Release v1.0.9 (the one with "reworked" music). So, I'm a bit confused as of what should I install.
First of all I decided to download only those files that I need, since 16 GB is something I can't afford, considering I placed the bootleg itself on my USB Flash.

A complete Bootleg install needs around 35GB to install, including temporary installation space as well as the mods. A final, complete install is around 9GB. A minimal install should be somewhere around 4GB. Temporary space is around 8GB (I'm not sure about the exact size, but I believe that's around this. It could range anywhere from 4 to 12), because all the files are extracted before being installed.

-Vgr

hgdagon

• View Profile

You don't necessarily need any, but Rumbah for FMV and Anxious Heart or FinalFantasyTim for soundtracks are my recommendations.
Well, there is no option for no Soundtrack replacement... Actually even if I select nothing at all in all tags, mod listing still looks for ff7music and remix....

A complete Bootleg install needs around 35GB to install, including temporary installation space as well as the mods. A final, complete install is around 9GB. A minimal install should be somewhere around 4GB. Temporary space is around 8GB (I'm not sure about the exact size, but I believe that's around this. It could range anywhere from 4 to 12), because all the files are extracted before being installed.
OK then, it'll take me about a week or so to free up some space. Then I'll give it a try.

I've never done that before, so you'll be testing it for us. When you run the install process, you'll see text in the command box that will indicate what's going on. There is also an install log at the end to check. Let us know your results.
My pleasure, but it would be easier if I actually knew what exactly is being used from the remix installer... Also, the log would be in my FFVII dir, right?
« Last Edit: 2014-06-21 10:28:36 by hgdagon »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
The log, bootleg.log, will be in the same folder as the Bootleg program.

If you need help installing Bootleg, I can help guide you through the process. Just PM me.

-Vgr