Author Topic: Final Fantasy 11: from highly anticipated game to junk  (Read 16867 times)

Joey

• View Profile
Well, it was the funniest joke about crashing computers since Win98 crashed right in front of Bill Gate's face.

And now...PlayOnline's server crashes!!! Barely 24 hours after the release, and having invalid serials!!!! Wonder what OS was the server? Win98? As far as I know, other online game servers can handle more users than that...

Square derserves this for not releasing FF9 & 10 for PC.

What's your comments?

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
FFXI
« Reply #1 on: 2002-06-11 09:13:19 »
I don't think FFXI will be very good at all. It's suposed to be Final Fantasy yetr it's not. If it was offline too I'd buy it. Also, if I had broadband. I'd definatly buy it. But I don't so I won't. Also, I'm hearing stuff about the server messing up which puts me off.

vvalentine

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 11: from highly anticipated game to junk
« Reply #2 on: 2002-06-11 10:56:15 »
Nay, FFXI didn't impress me.  Doesn't even look like an FF game.  Kingdom Hearts will save Squaresoft's ass.

-vvalentine

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2002-06-11 12:17:39 »
Well... I definately am not planning to get FFXI... never was.

J*** H*******

Re: Final Fantasy 11: from highly anticipated game to junk
« Reply #4 on: 2002-06-11 12:32:05 »
Message.

dgp9999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-06-11 13:22:56 »
I've played on Diablo II a few times on B.NET and it's ok now that most people have gone over the Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege, and I have 56k (UK version. Believe me, there's everywhere else 56k and UK 56k :roll:)

FFXI doesn't look like a Final Fantasy yes. This does not neccessarily make it a bad game. I don't know about any other FF player's minds but I've always wanted a FF with a community, like a guild system. Here's my wish list:
Turn-based
Join guilds, the guild becomes your 4-member-max party
A community with decent chat
Random battles
Random weapons spawn (just like Diablo II!)
Me to get broadband for the same price I get my dial-up!  :wicked:

Can I hear what everyone else wants in a FF?

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #6 on: 2002-06-11 13:30:59 »
Heh... Invalid serials, lack of broadband, crashing servers... And they expect us to BUY this peice o' shite?

I might buy it, but if I do, it will only be because of two reason: 1) I get broadband, &/or 2) I want to complete my collection of FF games.

Yeah, Kingdom Hearts is looking cool. *Wonders when FF12 info is going to come out...*

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #7 on: 2002-06-11 15:02:09 »
lol jari. so true. i was staff at a d2 fansite at the time (www.d2nation.com kinda dead) i got the game at 9 am a DAY before it was supposed to come out (thanks, eb :D ) and i tried to get on realm, but it was already down. i had a sorc at level 30 on open before blizz got em working. Its odd though, becuase the stress test never crashed... and there were up to 75000 people online at once.

joey-> this is kinda old news.....

im getting it for PC.

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-06-11 15:32:22 »
Hmm, when FFXI's released for PC is it gonna work on a dial-up connection?
I find all these new broadband games so annoying, it's bloody expensive and a lot of people can't even get broadband in their area.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
« Reply #9 on: 2002-06-11 17:28:59 »
THANK YOU SIR EERRRR!!  Some one FINALLY understands!! My problem is not the cost, well... not really, it's the fact that I live in MFE and broadband won't be available out here until fiber optics is available everywhere else in the world!  BAH CURSES TO SQUARESOFT!!

*a mad*
Kendrilian

dgp9999

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-06-11 17:54:22 »
According to BT's website, I can get broadband in my area, NR1. It's the price for me unfortunately. I pay £5.99 a month for off-peak access. The 900~kb version of broadband is around £50 and the 500~kb is about £25. I aren't going to bother with the £50 one.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #11 on: 2002-06-11 19:28:21 »
i can get cable access..... or a DS1....

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2002-06-11 20:09:46 »
Quote from: dgp9999
According to BT's website, I can get broadband in my area, NR1. It's the price for me unfortunately. I pay £5.99 a month for off-peak access. The 900~kb version of broadband is around £50 and the 500~kb is about £25. I aren't going to bother with the £50 one.

LOL guess what I've just applied for BT 512K (It's £29.99/month actually) and they've just activated my line (10th June, waited for 17 days after ordering it!).
It's been the 2nd day and I'm YET to test out my ADSL speed.... haha thank you BT, I've been attempting to connect to your server for 100 times yesterday, which none of them worked. Until today I still cannot connect....... !!!

So now I have to use my slow ol'.... 56k   :evil: (Damn BT....  :-? )

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2002-06-11 21:44:03 »
Oh, man, you guys sure do make me appreciate what I have.

You see, due to how close my house is to the main DSL switch, we get speeds comparable to a T1 or T2 line, but in reality we only paid for the 384k downstream plan!

Plus -- This is a new development -- my dad recently set up a wireless network, and that means he disconnected my hard line to the network and installed a USB wireless network device, which communicates with the router, and therefore the DSL modem.

So, in effect, I'm on a Wireless DSL Connection! LOL!

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2002-06-12 00:46:33 »
Speaking of wireless networks, I'm thinking of setting one up soon (with USB Linksys WUSB11's) ... what devices do you use?  How far do they work reliably?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2002-06-12 02:47:18 »
About the same exact stuff that you're using, brand and all.  So far, it works, but you must not power down the wireless network device (in this case, either by unplugging it or unplugging the comp itself, or using the switch on the comp's back), even when you're shutting the system down for a while, otherwise you run the risk of losing the IP address it reserved in the Network, 'cause the power loss causes it to lose communication with the WAP (Wireless Access Point).

Believe me -- It took like 2 hours to figure out how to fix it again.  And this happened twice, because we had no idea what was causing it to lose the IP setting.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2002-06-12 04:37:56 »
Well... I'm not gonna be using an access point, if I can help it, I wanna go straight P2P.  This computer (mine) will be the internet server and I'll use Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing to handle that.

I also am gonna have two XP comps (one of which being this one, the internet gateway), a 98 comp and a 95 comp.  Hope that works out ok.

The manual for the WUSB11 says it should be able to do P2P ("Ad-Hoc mode"), I'm assuming you don't need an access point for this?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2002-06-12 21:27:40 »
I think so....."Ad-hoc" seems to be used for networks consisting of 2 comps only.  However, the "infrastructure" mode (my dad set the comps up using this mode), is used for simply integrating the new comp into an already existing wireless network that's larger than 2 computers.

And, if you get dsl, the WAP may be a better way to go, you can access the dsl modem regardless of the other computer being on, plus the Linksys WAP also has a built-in hardware firewall (which means I can't host multiplayer games on this big bad 1.5Ghz! :x )

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #18 on: 2002-06-12 23:16:44 »
wow... wireless DSL... That must suck. I'd rather have wired network DSL. True, the speed doesn't have a difference between the two, but wireless can only go to 10Mbit, and I'd rather run at 100Mbit. Either way, DSL is slower, but not as slow as your reported T1-like speeds.

Oh, Ken: I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'll be supported for DSL in 2143, if Qwest get's off it's butt soon.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2002-06-12 23:25:30 »
Seph3d: Ditto.  Only problem is that I don't have a say in what my dad decides to do with the network.  He wanted to get rid of the hard line I have (which was in the "haphazardly-set-across-the-floor" mode), so he could please my mom, who was having a fit over the fact that the line kept restricting the movement of one very big glass door.

Oh, and according to the wireless network monitor, I'm stable at a 11mbit connection, but, I still don't trust the thing.  Sometimes I wonder if it does indeed "forget" to wake up when I go out to the internet after a doing some thing else for a while, sometimes the connection response time is THAT long.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 2002-06-12 23:59:24 »
10MBit is fine unless you're copying large files ... like hundreds of megs. Which is possible, of course - but for 'net sharing, it's more than OK.

We have ADSL shared in our house, via standard CAT5, but of course the 10MBit machine(s) only show problems when we're copying files internally. Personally, I could /usually/ say that wireless would be neat, since I rarely use the 100MBit bandwidth. Of course, sometimes (ie. when burning CD's) I do need that extra speed...

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2002-06-13 02:09:28 »
Well, I'm gonna start with two computers, and if everything looks good, I'll integrate the other two.

And, if you get dsl, the WAP may be a better way to go, you can access the dsl modem regardless of the other computer being on, plus the Linksys WAP also has a built-in hardware firewall (which means I can't host multiplayer games on this big bad 1.5Ghz!  )

Well, I thought about this before...
My computer is gonna be the internet host, and it's on all the time anyway, so that doesn't really matter :-p - Plus, if I use myself as the host, I won't be behind a firewall but the other computers will have some restricted access to the internet, to a certian excent (like being behind any other router).

Plus I don't wanna pay anymore than I have to :-p

Thanks

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2002-06-13 03:17:01 »
I don't like wireless.  It's not as secure as a wired network.  Shees, I wouldn't even think of using wireless here in my apartment.  Psshhh, WEP is like a joke and RSA can kiss my a$$.

-vvalentine

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #23 on: 2002-06-13 07:25:41 »
ViVi (vvalentine) as a good point. If I have a similar wireless hookup, I just have to get within range of your setup, then hack your password, then I'll gain access to every file in your system. I could ruin you.

In theory. I don't know how to hack a password, except through trial & error.

Personally, if I WAS to get DSL, I'd simply get a firewall/router & connect it to one of my hubs. Then my DSL would be shared with the network.  :D

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2002-06-13 13:36:14 »
There are lots of devices that can be tweaked to intercept the frequencies of wireless connections.  Brute force hacking is probable easiest in a wireless network.  Firewalls and Routers would simply be somehow useless.

-vvalentine