Author Topic: FFX Conformed for PC!!!  (Read 10080 times)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« on: 2001-05-20 01:52:00 »
Thanks gos to Gohan over at the Eidos boards for this!
"Square representatives also confirmed that Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XI are both PS2 exclusives, with both coming to the PC (but no other consoles) in later years."
 http://ps2.ign.com/news/34861.html" TARGET=_blank>http://ps2.ign.com/news/34861.html  

Whoawho! No nicking my bros Ps2 for me!

eerrrr

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2001-05-20 17:12:00 »
yeah i saw that in a magizine i got yesturday. beat me to it Canealot.

M0T

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #2 on: 2001-05-21 02:49:00 »
That means I dont have to waste my money on a pile-of-shite ps2 :)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-21 03:49:00 »
Ps2s are still good. But they would have been so much better....

M0T

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #4 on: 2001-05-21 19:06:00 »
They are not good in comparison to the other consoles, if it had some decent games it would be however.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-21 21:07:00 »
Bah, I'll still have to pick up a PS2, for a couple of reasons...

1) Remember how the PSX motion blur effects were translated into the 3D-accelerated PC version? Major compatibility issues, my display simply froze during those sequences. ^_^

2) There were lots of things that had to be changed to fit the PC platform, usually making things worse with the exception of the CG sequences. The game was made for PSX, it should be played on it. And since FFX is developed for the PS2, taking advantage of its special features, do you really think the PC version will equal the PS2 version?

3) Xenosaga.

Joey

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #6 on: 2001-05-22 14:52:00 »
Well, Qhimm, you have a point there but having a PS2 is a waste of money if you ask me. That money should be sent to an orphanage or old folks home to put at a good use as you can play it like the same in a PC (really enshanced, of course.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-22 15:25:00 »
Yea Joey your right! Qhimm you evil man! Send that money to the poor! Or send the Ps2 to the poor! Even better!

No. Heh. I think Square can do it. The port of FFVIII was decent so I think there capable of doing a decent port of FFX.
But at any rate. This is much better than having to black jack my bro every 5 minutes of play it :P

M0T

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #8 on: 2001-05-22 20:25:00 »
I believe my Pc is upto the task and ne way as the ps2 diplays a higher res wont it look better on my pc if they just enlarge it as they dont have to do it quite as big.

eerrrr

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #9 on: 2001-05-22 21:00:00 »
no! give your money to me! maybe you should put the money into a GeForce 3 or something, unless you already have one. if you do....stop complaining!

Anonymous

FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #10 on: 2001-05-23 01:41:00 »
I'm just praying that what they say is TRUE, (that is, that FFX is really going to appear on the PC) and not just another rumor.  I haven't seen anything anywhere else about it, sothat makes me worry.  Also, the fact that they didn't port FFIX.  But of course, there IS square's history of inconsistently bringing the Final Fantasy games overseas, and that consoles me into thinking that this is just another of their little 'inconsistencies'.  Anyway, if anyone saw reports of a FFX port anywhere else on the net, please post it and relieve me of my anxiousness.

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #11 on: 2001-05-27 13:05:00 »

1) Remember how the PSX motion blur effects were translated into the 3D-accelerated PC version? Major compatibility issues, my display simply froze during those sequences. ^_^

What do you mean by motion blur? The blur in FF7 when a random battle occurs? If so, that was a very simple effect. Simply render one frame to a texture, then rotate it slightly, redraw the scene, but do not clear the framebuffer. Should work fine on any hardware.

2) There were lots of things that had to be changed to fit the PC platform, usually making things worse with the exception of the CG sequences. The game was made for PSX, it should be played on it. And since FFX is developed for the PS2, taking advantage of its special features, do you really think the PC version will equal the PS2 version?

PS2 special features? Ha. That's an oxymoron. Feature wise, PS2 is about the same as a TNT2 video card. Even a Voodoo4 has more features than PS2. Those being true FSAA and texture compression. PS2 is just a brute force rasterizer, nothing special. Xbox and Gamecube are far superior(we're talking tons of extra features over PS2).

[This message has been edited by Reznor007 (edited May 27, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #12 on: 2001-05-27 16:39:00 »
Ps2 features? True ... but as a brute force rasteriser, it's a damn good one, and better than anything I've (so far) seen on the PC. Gran Turismo 3 is a pretty good example of that.

The point being, though, a PS2 game ported to PC won't look laughable; it would be stretching the PC hardware. Unlike a PSX game ported to PC, which wouldn't.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #13 on: 2001-05-27 16:53:00 »
(Cracking nuckles)

I'm afraid you are extreamly wrong with that comment. That's like saying that the original PSX GPU was nothing better than A Matrox Millinum card. One is an apple, one is an orange

I'll give you a light overview on how the PS2 renders stuff, and how amazing this system really is. But before I do, let's backtrack into the 2D world for a second.

You know that with a 2D surface, kind of like a blackboard, you draw shapes, squares, circles, lines, and dots. Nothing really exciting, but you can, with time and effert, draw the Mona Lisa. But it takes a while and is very hard to do.
This is what a computer has to do without 3d acceleration

Now you can stream a 2d video onto the blackboard via a projecter get wonderful graphics and the work is nill and no memory is being used. This is because everything's been done before. It's just putting stuff on the board.
This is how streaming movies are done on a computer. Like the PS1's MDEC. The CPU doen't know or care what's on the screen. It can do something else.

Now the PS2 can do something rather extraordinary. It can stream polygons There are two sub-CPUs (VDU #1 and #2)with 64k ram each. Thier job is to render polygons and toss them to the emotion engine (a third CPU) which take the rotation data from the vector coprosser (a fourth CPU) puts it all to togeather and put it on the screen. All this without the primary CPU doing anything. When the PS2 is running peak, you have 5 CPUs running in tandom. (6 if you add the new MDEC and you want to stream polygons ontop of video, which Square has been know to do) This is why it's so difficult to program for.

Af far as the Anti-alising goes. The PS2 can do AA, but at a cost of dropping the framerate by 3/4. It's a bug with the system. (The 3D clipper was broken in the PS1 and had to be worked around as well) Oh well, what are you going to do.....

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #14 on: 2001-05-27 17:45:00 »
The only Anit Aliing I have seen the Ps2 look worse than the FSAA on the GeForce 2!
I heardit makes textures all blured and that shows in Tekan Tag! when the Metal Gear solid demo blurs over the screen(Thats all it does) the frames do go to hell. I guess thats why they cant use it in game mhahaha. Frankly I know what I know and thats not a lot and the Ps2 can push polygons around. But the Box and the Cube can push around just as many but with a shit load of features to it.

And my system gos to one frame per second in the tree test when about 997732 polygons are on screen. How many does FFX use!?

Omnislash1024

FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #15 on: 2001-06-09 01:12:00 »
PC version of FFX? WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(don't have enough money 2 buy a PS2)

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #16 on: 2001-06-09 02:42:00 »
If me, better buy a PS2 console, then I could play the game early than waiting for the PC version. At least, there's no chance of FF X for PS2 being cancelled, while you can't say the same for the PC version. Maybe in two months time, Square will say "we don't want to make PC version bla bla bla ", you know, Square like to change their goals often.

Joey

• View Profile
FFX Conformed for PC!!!
« Reply #17 on: 2001-06-09 16:41:00 »
Actually....Square is pretty ironic....there were plans to make FF9PC but they were postponed as the cost was too high.....But I don't know about FFX.......