Author Topic: [FF9 Steam] Any work being done towards background textures?  (Read 23300 times)

Tetraspore

• View Profile
I'd like to do some digital paintings of some of the scenery and implement it into FF9 on Steam. Is anyone working on unpacking and repacking the assets currently?

jembhus

• View Profile

kennybones

• View Profile
Some guy extracted the assets from the game and added some really nice waifu filtering.
For some reason, waifu filters work so much better on this game than on FF7 and 8. The painted feeling kinda works.

Here's the link:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/357284131791556623/

And this is my favourite out of them:
http://i.imgur.com/pzAbXX5.gif

kenichi

• View Profile
how to install this mod for steam version ff9?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
You can't, yet.

BaconCatBug

• View Profile
It should now be possible to do so with Hades Workshop, provided you have replacements that is

Amon1995

• View Profile
How do I import the background textures to the game by using Hades Workshop?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
You can't do that yet.

If you're reworking the backgrounds, I may try to make them importable in priority for the next releases. However, I'm still bugged about which kind of format I should allow for the importation.
Import 1 image for 1 Tile Block?
Import 1 image with several layers for all the Tile Blocks?

Fraggoso

• View Profile
You can't do that yet.

If you're reworking the backgrounds, I may try to make them importable in priority for the next releases. However, I'm still bugged about which kind of format I should allow for the importation.
Import 1 image for 1 Tile Block?
Import 1 image with several layers for all the Tile Blocks?

I would suggest doing the later.
It's way cleaner to waifu one layer instead of 1 tile blocks.

Bonkers

• View Profile
Keeping the tile system used in the original game for this port. Just shows the continued utter incompetence and lack of care in Square Enix's treatment of the FF brand in re-releases of these great games.

I mean,FFS. This was ported and designed primarily for phones first. And there a billion different handsets with different display resolutions out there.  How do you not figure out, that scaling at non-integer factors with images entirely designed to be aligned tile by tile are going to have seams and other crap? Why would you not spend the time and effort to do it proper and convert all the images to a correct format with layers that will scale arbitrarily without much issue? Especially when it's a new port from the ground up.

If you guys can figure out a way to make this work, (And a way to mod the terrible mobile phone UI to one closer the original game) with the Steam version.
The flood gates could be opened to producing, like FFVII, the high quality backgrounds it deserves.

I found this comparison tonight that someone uploaded to Screenshotcomparison
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187711
Not a bad start at all.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
Well Tile is not exactly like in the RPG Maker, where you have either 16x16 or 32x32 tiles.
When you extract the Backgrounds some movable/animated things like flaggs are tiles, which is memorywise better to use on small objects as in comparison to save the whole scenes 2 or more times, as long as the animation goes.

The shot is from me. ;)
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14315.msg244636#msg244636

As soon as Tirlititi answers me, I can start rearranging my graphics/filter pipeline and start with the whole thing.

Aavock

• View Profile
Call me crazy but in the future I would like to see all original (pixelated) original PSX backgrounds back. :-P

Awesome work Fraggoso, it's great to see some extra love for FFIX!