Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 703949 times)

ff7rules

• View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #350 on: 2009-04-17 15:34:05 »
Well, phooey on all of you. I found two bugs including the one I forgot about.

1) Weapon "Model ID" wasn't being saved correctly at all. It was reversing the byte order. This has probably existed since version 1.0.0 and no one ever said anything about it.

2) The graph doesn't look at the initial stats like I wanted it to.

I'm fixing these right now as I type (sorta, I can't type two things at once :) ) and 1.1.8.1 will be out soon.

I can't get the new one to work i got the framework and packs still nothing it says something about a debug error?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #351 on: 2009-04-17 15:41:24 »

1) Weapon "Model ID" wasn't being saved correctly at all. It was reversing the byte order. This has probably existed since version 1.0.0 and no one ever said anything about it.

I'm fixing these right now as I type (sorta, I can't type two things at once :) ) and 1.1.8.1 will be out soon.

I can't get the new one to work i got the framework and packs still nothing it says something about a debug error?

Can you get a screeny of the error?

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2009-04-17 16:49:44 »

Can you get a screeny of the error?

Yeah sure here ya go http://www.imagenerd.com/uploads/error-nnLxE.jpg

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #353 on: 2009-04-17 17:22:45 »
I'm not sure what to tell you about that, actually. Vista's error message is a lot more helpful. :(

If this is happening when you try to load it then you either don't have PowerPacks installed or you don't have the .NET runtime libs installed. I'm having no problems with it when PowerPacks 3 is installed on either my XP machine or my Vista machine. Try re-installing the powerpacks.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 2009-04-17 18:08:54 »
I know this might sound a little stupid, but is this the kernel the place that stores how many player id's there are? Would it be possible to create a whole new player id?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #355 on: 2009-04-17 18:19:21 »
I know this might sound a little stupid, but is this the kernel the place that stores how many player id's there are? Would it be possible to create a whole new player id?

No. There's only data in the savemap for 9 players at any given time and there's only 9 sets of curves for character growth. I don't think it's possible to add a character without some extensive modifications to the executable anyway.

I fixed the bugs I mentioned above and the new file is up. It's mostly a cosmetic change, but the ModelID on the weapons have been wrong for a while. It was reading it in one order and writing it in another.

BAD...

SHAME...

APOLOGY...

Yeah, I hated Fujin. No depth to her until the end of Disc 3. And then she had that one line about things not being like they used to. Lame.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2009-04-17 18:19:55 »
Thought as much, but it was worth asking anyway  :-) I'll try this fixed version out now, see if it works for me.

EDIT: nope, still get the error when it tries to open :-(
« Last Edit: 2009-04-17 18:33:17 by ultima espio »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #357 on: 2009-04-17 19:53:21 »
Thought as much, but it was worth asking anyway  :-) I'll try this fixed version out now, see if it works for me.

EDIT: nope, still get the error when it tries to open :-(

:/ I'm having no problems opening it on any of my machines. ??? Does anyone running Vista get an error? I need to see the details of it.

levinson

« Reply #358 on: 2009-04-17 21:19:01 »
Here you go. I'm vista ultimate 32bit user, and having a similar error.

I installed both VisualBasicPowerPacks3Setup.exe and dotnetfx35.exe.

WallMarket 1.1.7.0 still works fine though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WallMarket has stopped working

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   wallmarket.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.1.8.0
  Problem Signature 03:   49e4a9fe
  Problem Signature 04:   WallMarket
  Problem Signature 05:   1.1.8.0
  Problem Signature 06:   49e4a9fe
  Problem Signature 07:   11
  Problem Signature 08:   c6
  Problem Signature 09:   System.InvalidOperationException
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1042

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #359 on: 2009-04-17 21:28:46 »
Here you go. I'm vista ultimate 32bit user, and having a similar error.

I installed both VisualBasicPowerPacks3Setup.exe and dotnetfx35.exe.

WallMarket 1.1.7.0 still works fine though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WallMarket has stopped working

Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   wallmarket.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.1.8.0
  Problem Signature 03:   49e4a9fe
  Problem Signature 04:   WallMarket
  Problem Signature 05:   1.1.8.0
  Problem Signature 06:   49e4a9fe
  Problem Signature 07:   11
  Problem Signature 08:   c6
  Problem Signature 09:   System.InvalidOperationException
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1042

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

That still isn't enough info.... Try running it as administrator and see what happens.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2009-04-17 22:28:05 »
I have the same problem, and I installed everything you asked (session ran as administrator).
« Last Edit: 2009-04-17 23:27:37 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #361 on: 2009-04-18 01:11:55 »
I think I solved the problem. It's complicated, but the link in the first post should be working for those that have had problems. Sorry this took so long.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-18 02:33:48 by NFITC1 »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 2009-04-18 08:58:24 »
Awesome, it works !  :-D You rock !! I can't wait for the version that allows AI script editing ^^

levinson

« Reply #363 on: 2009-04-18 09:34:09 »
Wow, it works for me too. You really fixed it out of my little information?? god, you're good. Thanks. ^^

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #364 on: 2009-04-18 16:06:23 »
Wow, it works for me too. You really fixed it out of my little information?? god, you're good. Thanks. ^^

Sorry to say, no one's info helped. It was an entirely different problem. :) I had suspected it might be an issue when I first uploaded it. Regardless, it works now so no point in drowning in that sorrow. Enjoy :D

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2009-04-18 22:33:54 »
Wow, this thing has grown really powerful now. And so quickly, too!

Super-kudos.

levinson

« Reply #366 on: 2009-04-19 03:54:05 »
New version is not saving any changes as supposed to, at least for me. I tried to modify the whole list of magic names and nothing really changed. anybody having same problem??

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2009-04-19 17:51:19 »
Thanks for fixing this it works great now! I do have a few questions though, can you explain what stuff like scene look ups, random numbers and curves do? i trtied working it out but i can't. Im guessing scene look ups is like what code each scene is given?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #368 on: 2009-04-19 20:43:40 »
Thanks for fixing this it works great now! I do have a few questions though, can you explain what stuff like scene look ups, random numbers and curves do? i trtied working it out but i can't. Im guessing scene look ups is like what code each scene is given?

Read the help file or check out this page: http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Battle_and_growth_data

EDIT: So I made an unbelievably stupid error preventing (any of) the KERNEL.BIN from being saved at all in most cases. This has been resolved and I'm sorry for the trouble. Use the link on the first post again.

Unusual Update:
So I was screwing around with the FFVIII files seeing what they looked like. The files on the PC version in the data folder are grouped in threes (.fs, .fl, .fi). There's a "battle", "field", "magic", "main", "menu", and "world". The FS files contain what appears to be a concatenation of many LZSed and raw files together. The FL file contains to be a listing of the file's names, likely in the order they are compressed into the FS file. The FI files seem to be an what their uncompressed size is, index of where each file is in the archive, and if they're LZS (I'm operating under the assumption that it is) compressed or not. The reason I even bothered posting it in this thread is that I found FFVIII's kernel.bin! :D It's the 13th file in main.fs. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any sense to me. :( It's still interesting.

More Update:
It occurs to me that some people may be using the "break the 9999 MHP" patch. I guess I'm going to have to add the functionality to display HP/MP if they want to grow beyond this range. That shouldn't be too hard an update. I'll either release that soon as version 1.1.9 or just wait until version 1.2.0. ....I'll probably wait. I've gotten lazy and too interested in playing Mario World hacks (I'm not sure why, they're just fun).

Another again Update:
I'm VERY close to getting the functionality of AI Script editing. It can save them just fine, there's no problem with that. The problem lies in the interface. How would you like it if you had spent 10 minutes tinkering with an AI script only to have it crash on you close to the end? I wouldn't either.
The more interesting part of this means that I can give Heidegger this functionality too and I can start rewriting enemies' AIs.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-29 13:45:03 by NFITC1 »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2009-04-29 14:09:32 »
Rock on ! An AI editor sounds like the second coming of Jesus Christ  :-D

As for its interface... ...Do you know FF3USME ? It's a multi-editor for the FFVI rom, and it's the only one I know that can edit the monsters' AI. Its interface is really good, and very noob-friendly.

Here is a screenshot, in case it gives you ideas.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #370 on: 2009-04-29 17:05:00 »
Rock on ! An AI editor sounds like the second coming of Jesus Christ  :-D

Well.....I hope it doesn't mean the end of everything. :-o

As for its interface... ...Do you know FF3USME ? It's a multi-editor for the FFVI rom, and it's the only one I know that can edit the monsters' AI. Its interface is really good, and very noob-friendly.

Here is a screenshot, in case it gives you ideas.

Yes I DO know of FF3usme and have used it to modify several bosses; Including making a harder MagiMaster and a counter-attack-only Dark Chadernook. HOWEVER...The AI of FF7 is infinitely more complicated than FFVI's. FFVI's has a patterned AI, but FFVII's is much more high-leveled than that.

EX:
Most enemies of FFVI have little more than a list of attacks to choose from. Take the "Dark Force" for example. He has a very simple script:

Perform one of three actions
Wait until next turn
Wait until next turn
Wait until next turn
Wait until next turn
Wait until next turn
Wait until next turn
End Script (wait until next turn to start over)
End Script (this is the counter attack script, which he doesn't have)

And that's the sum total of his script. It takes ~36 bytes of code to do this. However, in FF7, it would take probably 150 bytes (likely more) to do this since it has fewer built-in functions.

Now let's look at Rufus' script:

AI: Main
{
   If ((Rufus' HP > 200) AND (TempVar:HPDiff < 100) AND (1/3 Chance)) Then
   {
      Print Message [Rufus "Heh, Heh, Heh..."]
      Choose Self
      Use <> on Target
   } Else {
      Choose Random Opponent
      Use Shotgun on Target
   }
}
AI: Counter - General
{
   TempVar:HPDiff = TempVar:PrevHP - Rufus' HP
   TempVar:PrevHP = Rufus' HP
}
AI: Counter - Death
{
   Print Message [Rufus "Heh... That's all for today..."]
   Choose Self
   Use <(Report)> on Target
   If (Dark Nation doesn't have Death Status) Then
   {
      Remove Dark Nation
   }
}

Some of this can't be done in FFVI, but this script takes 199 bytes and executes the entire main script in one turn.

FFVII doesn't have a "choose one of the following three attacks" built in to it. All those "choose one"s have to be randomly selected using if statements which are made more difficult because we have to write it in assembler. I know of no way to make this noob-friendly, but I'll probably make some tutorials (in the helpfile and otherwise) on how to do certain things like if-conditions, random choices, loops, etc.

EDIT: Speaking of scripting, now that this is close to being able to edit scripts (it's so close now I can smell it. Continue being patient) I feel a tutorial needs to be made on how to do such things. I've started making one in the helpfile, but I think it needs to be more centralized than that. I was thinking of making something like Morrowind's Scripting for Dummies guide. It's 230 pages long, but since there are less than 100 opcodes available to us in FFVII, we'd have fewer pages. :) Would anyone with advanced scripting knowledge like to help me write one or, at least, proof-read my tutorials to make sure they're correct?
« Last Edit: 2009-04-30 15:44:49 by NFITC1 »

lorddolor1989

• only thing a man needs is the love of a woman
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2009-04-30 20:19:12 »
The link of Filefront doesn't works for me,can you upload it somewhere else please?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #372 on: 2009-05-01 14:28:59 »
The link of Filefront doesn't works for me,can you upload it somewhere else please?

No. Because the lastest version on FileFront right now has several (REALLY retarded) flaws and I'm almost ready to release another one.

I changed Scene 232 (from SceneEdit's output files) address 0x1248 to 14h and changed 0x124A to 86h. Now when Cloud's supposed to retaliate at Sephiroth in the REALLY final battle (as I like to call it :) ), he does Omnislash rather than just lamely take a swing. Isn't that great? :D

AI editing is coming along mostly smoothly. I hit a VERY peculiar snag, however. In order to make the process of editing AI bearable I had to improvise. However, now in order to make up for that I'll need to sync two things together. BUT THEY'RE BOTH READONLY PROPERTIES!!! What genius at MS thought of that? Nevermind that. I figured a way around it. :) Just a few steps left.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-01 17:51:00 by NFITC1 »

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2009-05-02 14:09:31 »
Can't wait man really appreciate all the work you put into wallmarket and heid.So your saying this next one will allow us to edit the AI enemys with needing to hex edit AND characters? if so thats INCREDIBLE! can't wait.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #374 on: 2009-05-03 00:14:27 »
Can't wait man really appreciate all the work you put into wallmarket and heid.So your saying this next one will allow us to edit the AI enemys with needing to hex edit AND characters? if so thats INCREDIBLE! can't wait.

WallMarket will only ever edit KERNEL.BIN and/or kernel2.bin. Heidegger will soon after evolve to edit Enemy AI.