Author Topic: [PSX/PC] wmx2obj (C version)  (Read 5974 times)

Blue

• View Profile
[PSX/PC] wmx2obj (C version)
« on: 2016-07-24 21:14:38 »
wmx2obj

wmx2obj converts the world map geometry of Final Fantasy 8 (wmx.obj) into Wavefront OBJ format through reverse engineering, thus making it possible to observe the world map geometry in any modern 3D graphics program.

This fully refactored C version, being more efficient in every regard, makes the old Java version deprecated.

Download

wmx2obj on GitHub

Usage examples

wmx2obj wmx.obj wf.obj (Convert the whole map to wf.obj)
wmx2obj wmx.obj wf.obj 678 834 (Convert segments 678 to 834 to wf.obj)

Notes
  • I hear Halfer is working on an upgraded version of this program with texture support, model preview and whatnot. Follow his doings for updates.
  • To extract wmx.obj from world.fs, use Deling.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 17:30:17 by Covarr »

Biff

• View Profile
Re: [FF8] wmx2obj (C version)
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-02 23:30:12 »
I used Maki's "Rinoa's Toolset" to extract the wmx.obj file, and I used TDM-GCC Compiler to compile this file.

In my converted file all the vertices are (0.000, 0.000, 0.000). The faces seem to be ok, though I can't verify that.
I can't seem to find any thread describing this problem.

please advise

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-02 09:01:47 »
I used Maki's "Rinoa's Toolset" to extract the wmx.obj file, and I used TDM-GCC Compiler to compile this file.

In my converted file all the vertices are (0.000, 0.000, 0.000). The faces seem to be ok, though I can't verify that.

please advise

Try:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16230.0
or just open wmx.obj via Rinoa's Toolset

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-11-26 01:00:10 »

please advise

I apologize for the delayed response and am sorry to hear that you have encountered problems with the conversion. As I have never faced a similar problem converting my copy of wmx.obj using wmx2obj executables compiled with gcc or Microsoft C/C++, I frankly do not know what causes it. Off the top of my head, I would guess that it is an endianness issue.

Hopefully using Rinoa's Toolset solved your problem.