Author Topic: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII  (Read 123602 times)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII
« Reply #75 on: 2010-07-12 22:18:11 »
What sounds are missing?? I can help if only I know the sounds I need to find. :)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 2010-07-12 22:45:36 »
Remember that thing Halkun said about documenting what's been done?

Let me let you into a secret: when you're six months into a project, you'll really appreciate having a formalized doc system. All you need is a spreadsheet listing the files you're planning to alter and their statuses. Believe me, you'll not regret it.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #77 on: 2010-07-12 22:46:02 »
this should be documented on the File Reconstruction Sheet. in the FF7PC Section of the sheet expanding the entry for audio.dat. name, size and description. is all that is needed (name i suspose would be # in this case) since people had to go mess all the fun up when the sheet was open, i will happly post what ever you guys find (that is if halkun doesn't give one of your write access).

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-07-13 00:08:36 »

Image 1

Image 2

^
This is what got us started.

Assistance:

1.)Numbers that are not present needs to be identified.(even if we have identified some already and are not on the list above, more people confirming it is best.)

2.)Find/Confirm Field only sfx
It's pretty easy to decipher the sounds that are used in the field, but the problem is knowing when and where they are used. Refer to the list then listen to the sfx (Example: "036- Reactor1 - bombing mission 1 and etc." - the more specific the description the better.)

3.)Find/Confirm Shared sfx
(at first I thought #017 was only used for Cloud's normal attack but then... "17- known uses - (Cloud Attack -1st part climhazzard- 1st 2 hits cross slash)". The more annoying sfx are the ones that are shared both in battle and field(Blehh...*** Drama queen Barret had to spoil Tifa's voiced attack)

4.) Find/Confirm Battle Specific sfx
The easiest ones to document IMO. All sfx that are only used in battle.
Basically you can just tell us something like "#28- ice2 or any item that produces Ice2 is definitely only used in battle."

5.)Find/Confirm Unused sfx
Armorvil stated that their are some unused sfx. If anyone finds any then please notify us to prevent a few headaches. :)

6.) If you want to share some sfx you found/made/edited then that's cool to.

We are not demanding help but will be very greatful for such assistance.

I will post my list soon and is basically Armorvil's initial one with...
-my discoveries
-corrections
-confirmations
-some crude descriptions of what unknown sfx sounds like and/or where they might be used.
-updates whenever new information is shared before release.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-13 00:13:20 by sicatrix »

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-07-13 02:46:14 »
Everything sounds like a plan. The sooner you post that list sicatrix the better.
this should be documented on the File Reconstruction Sheet. in the FF7PC Section of the sheet expanding the entry for audio.dat. name, size and description. is all that is needed (name i suspose would be # in this case) since people had to go mess all the fun up when the sheet was open, i will happly post what ever you guys find (that is if halkun doesn't give one of your write access).
Once we get a good list together, we would definitely love for you to update the file reconstruction project for us.

And anyone else, please help ID sounds. Refer to the images/upcoming lists for progress and check out the first page on how to extract the sfx using cosmo...all 723 of them
« Last Edit: 2010-07-13 04:17:51 by ae2011 »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-07-13 16:30:47 »
I'll try and give you a hand to indentify some sound effects over the coming weeks.

Are all of SFX in the screenshots above already indentified ?

Also, on the subject of voices in battle : I hate them.  With a passion.  And this is coming from someone who participated heavily in the voiceover project.

I always find it sounds forced when characters shout when doing attacks.  If you want to restrict that to certain types of really powerful physical attacks (like, for example, the last slash of omnislash) then fine but otherwise it really gets on my nerves.

That's one of the main flaws I find with all the "anime-style" RPG's.

Just my two cents.

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-07-13 17:09:11 »
lol, i know what you mean. sicatrix has posted a few sounds with voice attacks, but also ones without. i'm pretty sure in the long run both types will be included for preference. the sfx in the screenshots have been identified, however as sicatrix pointed out, they need to be confirmed by more people. mainly the field and shared sounds since battle only sounds sounds are pretty obvious, but also because there might be errors since this is only the first list that has been posted so far. keep an eye out for updated lists, which hopefully will be posted soon. any help with identifying sfx would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-07-13 17:35:45 »
Yeah, there definitely are errors...

EDIT:

Sicatrix, what you called
32- High jump - (Two versions) - (With and without a Tifa voice) Known uses - high jump of meteor strike.
is also played at the end of Cloud's Cross Slash. So a version with a voice won't do.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 12:39:23 by Armorvil »

GI-Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-07-18 17:13:07 »
This project seems really interesting I would like to help how can I see what sounds need to be done??

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-07-18 19:03:04 »
im really liking how this is developing, but what are your thoughts on an installer? Manually replacing them all is definitly a no go, and i really want to try out some of these sounds. I COULD manually do it, but im lazy and i do texturresd, not sounds :P

lee

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-07-18 20:52:50 »
An installer would indeed be nice, but I have no clue how to make one so don't look at me =P.

As for the sounds done (even though "done" is all relative, since some of them can definitely be improved), they are (I hope I'm not forgeting any) :

0-cursor
4-miss
5-cure
8-fire
8- fire (another version)
9-fire2
10-bolt
12-casting
14-bullet impact
15-machinegun
17-cloud's slash
19-grenade explosion
22-aeris' critical attack
23-ice
23-ice (another version)
24-bite
25-running
26-cloud's critical attack
29-demi hit
32-high jump
34-hit
35-limit break
39-big shot
49-aeris attacks
69-bolt3
85-bolt3_all
135-nibelheim burning
142-alarm
151-explosion
154-frog song
177-poison breath
217-snoring
239-crowd in junon
254-change clothes
284 - Bubble attack(you know from that elephant thing near chocobo farm and possibly some other attack that I hope this sfx would fit)
289-tifa attacks
290-somersault
342 - Yuffie Attack(work in progress and subject to change)
344-beat rush
347-tifa critical
349-claw
359-zemzelett wind
368-swampshot / blade beam travel
374-laugh
376-girl scream
386-escape
403-dolphin kick / water splash
429-weapon roars
438-applause
444 - item/materia equip
473 - Flamethrower
483 - Summoning
718-monster

That makes 51/723. You can download them all at once here.

*previous edits now useless so I deleted them*

EDIT:

I forgot about Sicatrix's 139-Beta. And I can't redownload it. I remember I prefered the original sound, so I didn't keep it.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-18 21:26:43 by Armorvil »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-07-19 13:51:14 »
There are 723 sounds? Wow. :o I'll try to find some sound effects but hell this will be a hell of a project.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #87 on: 2010-07-19 15:52:41 »
There are 723 sounds? Wow. :o I'll try to find some sound effects but hell this will be a hell of a project.

thats nothing there are 11k + objects in battle.lgp and we have them all SSed and mostly ided..

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010-07-19 18:39:11 »
Another thing : when throwing a weapon, that weapon's impact sound is played. That means that, if you added a voice to Aerith's attack (for example), and make Cloud throw one of her rods, you'll hear Aerith's "voice" when it hits the enemy  :|

GI-Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010-07-19 21:09:09 »
now just to make this clear what is considered stealing a sound because I listened to some of the sounds that are already finished and for example number 347 is tifas attack from the playstation 1 game ehrgeiz. I'm not sure if it was edited at all but if it was changed slightly can it be used??

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #90 on: 2010-07-19 22:03:57 »
The idea is, did you make it?

If no, you took the sound

Use freesound and made sure you have a compatible CC licence (Noncommercial use, with or without attriution)

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010-07-26 16:13:17 »
love how the project is turning out :D

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-04-06 09:16:22 »
I don't know if you're still working on this project.

I'm a mastering engineer, and maybe I could help.
I'm using Adobe Audition with iZotope plugins and Pro Tools for mastering, but I'm NOT good at multitrack and/or composing. So if you need just things as loudness, compressors, resamplings, cleanups, fadings, EQ, I'm at your service!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-04-06 09:40:18 »
So if you need just things as loudness, compressors, resamplings, cleanups, fadings, EQ, I'm at your service!
Not quite sure if armorvil is still working on this or not, but once I finish my current project I was going to go through and redo all the sound effects if it isn't done before then. I have a lot of experience with Audition and was gonna try to use free samples as well as synthesizing some of my own sounds. However the field upscale project might take me upwards of a year if aali's driver doesn't update with a fix for the palette changes to include dimensional changes, because if it doesn't I have to compensate for each layer manually, which is by far the most time consuming aspect of the entire process. If there is a fix it would only take a few weeks worth of work. But feel free to get started until my time fills up. I will definitely help you in the future when I can. I would have started already but its really hard to know which sound is for what as they are not clearly label, I was actually going to go through and label each sound and its purpose before I even started, but its kinda a tedious thing since their are over 700 sound fx  :o

fladimir_hokage

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-04-06 14:19:04 »
cosmo ficedula for sound edit not work

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2011-04-06 15:33:36 »
Sadly I'm not even able to open the sound file. I have already changed the security to allow everyone and tried to execute cosmo.exe with admin rights. The path is correct, but there's no info WHY cosmo isn't able to open the file...

Code: [Select]
Plugins ready
FiceStream Trans_Table not located!
EXCEPTION: EFOpenError Cannot open file C:\Spiele\FFVII\data\sound\AUDIO.DAT

Is there someone who can help?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-04-06 18:48:42 »
Not quite sure if armorvil is still working on this or not

Not right now, I'm afraid. I'm focusing on my Total Grudge mod (which is an evolution of my AV demo), and it's going along nicely.

Anyways, I'm glad you guys are interested in such a project :) AFAIK, the only thing to look out for, is not to implement voices, as the battle SFXes are reused in the field for other things, from time to time. Also, when I still used Aali's custom driver 0.7.8b, it failed to read a new applaude sound, at the Gold Saucer event - so I kept having the "Oops, something very bad happened" message at the time (whereas Cosmo would read the new SFX just fine). I still haven't tried with 0.7.10b, though.

Sadly I'm not even able to open the sound file. I have already changed the security to allow everyone and tried to execute cosmo.exe with admin rights. The path is correct, but there's no info WHY cosmo isn't able to open the file...

Plugins ready
FiceStream Trans_Table not located!
EXCEPTION: EFOpenError Cannot open file C:\Spiele\FFVII\data\sound\AUDIO.DAT

Is there someone who can help?

Did you try re-downloading version 0.95c ? You may be missing some files because of a bad archive or something. You can get it from Aaron's Ficedula download mirror here :
http://ficedula.aaron-kelley.net/
« Last Edit: 2011-04-06 18:55:53 by Armorvil »

ThePreacher

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2011-04-06 19:35:33 »
Redownloading it did not help. I think it's the way cosmo tries to access the file. Maybe it creates problems with windows 7 x64. I have already tried to disable DEP for this file, and I also have set 
"CWDIllegalInDllSearch"=dword:00000000 for "cosmo.exe".

I thought running cosmo.exe with admin rights would fix the problem, but no go. Maybe someone who also has a x64 Vista or 7 could look into this and tell me, if cosmo works on his setup...

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-04-06 21:34:37 »
hmm it might just be the 64 bit because it runs perfectly on my my 32 bit windows 7 ultimate

fladimir_hokage

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2011-04-07 14:56:18 »
release more sounds?