Author Topic: [WIP] Enhanced Megadrive/Genesis Recordings.  (Read 3296 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
[WIP] Enhanced Megadrive/Genesis Recordings.
« on: 2012-12-14 13:25:04 »
This is my latest project that I am finally getting out of the way since first having the intention to do it back in 2006.  I have left it far too long.

I did numerous tests with the actual console and various emulators and discovered the original Gens emulator is the best.  But it still isn't good enough because the original game audio quality and output is lacking.  I have spent a long time today and yesterday working out the best way to equalise the music so that it sounds better.  And that's what this project is...   I have already finished Street Fighter II for the SNES.

I have also compared using the 10th anniversary Sonic release and other OST's, and mine are still better.

I am only doing a few games that I personally like the music of, these are:

Columns
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 3D
Streets of Rage
Revenge of Shinobi
Golden Axe
Cool Spot (A few musics probably)
James Pond I/ II (Main theme)
Micro Machines II (Main theme)
Sonic Spinball (1 music)
Super Hang On (2 musics)
Ecco II: The tides of Time (Main theme)
Skitchin' (1 music)
Road Rash II (a few musics)

I will keep you posted and will probably release them as MP3 and on youtube.  Green is completed.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-15 17:19:17 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2012-12-15 17:17:01 by DLPB »

mystery_editor

• Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Enhanced Megadrive/Genesis Recordings.
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-15 23:25:06 »
I'm interested - are you simply recording the direct audio-chip output (through an emulator, but same principal) with the SFX disabled? Or is there some kind of further enhancement you're applying?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-16 13:32:06 »
I am recording from gens (using gens own output recorder) but then doing equalising on the resulting files to get the balance correct :)  It comes out of gens sounding very tinny and squeaky and annoying, same as other places.  If you get it from actual console it ends up less quality, with hiss and with too little treble.

So really this is a bog standard upgrade to the music but it beats the official cd releases and the releases people have done online.  So I guess it is worth it :)  I can actually listen to these.  When I get the Sonic one up I will show you what I mean.  The real and only talent here is patience and to have a good ear.  Some call it all subjective, I don't.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-16 13:45:48 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-16 17:30:27 »
You try Regen? I'm betting its sound reproduction more accurate than either Gens or Fusion. The emulator as a whole certainly is.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-16 19:54:26 »
I'll have a look, although music wise it's a rather basic midi type so nearly all emus Ive tried sound the same more or less (gens was the best).  I will take a look at regen tho.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-16 20:17:41 »
OK i have tested regen...  it has distortions on certain bass instruments, and on certain other instruments it is producing inaccurate sound (See ecco II).  It isn't too bad really but it isn't as accurate as Gens for music.  Gens + equalisation is still the best way.   :)

Regen does come with a nice low pass filter for people playing the game at least.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-16 20:20:14 by DLPB »