Author Topic: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums  (Read 274704 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums
« Reply #375 on: 2014-09-13 23:55:42 »
Love them all!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 2014-09-14 18:23:00 »
No limits on animations etc, and the image file could be used as-is instead of converted to that strange "block" format. Also you could use 3D field files rather than static renderings. This is probably possible with the current engine too using the custom hook/driver/rendering engine as it could simply render the mesh itself and not draw the 2D field images.

Edit: Actually I have been wondering, wouldn't it be cool to add 2D lighting to the current engine like in the "the swapper" game?

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DxYZN6fu0 this is all 2D
Having freedom for decomposing the fields along layers, as well as field animation (such as fluid flow) would be a great bonus - they would allow more freedom to rework scenes. As for 3d fields, I am not sure. The framework we're currently working in does not set a limit on poly count, and objects are not worked so that they could be rendered at 30 or 60 pfs - there's no such optimization (and to be frank, I'm not sure how to do it). In addition, texture/shading is specific to a rendering engine, so all the corresponding work I am doing for Cycles render would have to be redone for whatever 3d rendering system used in-game.
That would be really awesome if pulled off the right way. Have you made much progress on field maps/wm? High framerate field with a much smoother 'panning' of the bg when running around would make a nice touch  :-D
Do you mean to make a rigged camera movement like in the urban environments in Resonance of Fate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrPi4yt5Ic

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 2014-09-14 23:44:58 »
Having freedom for decomposing the fields along layers, as well as field animation (such as fluid flow) would be a great bonus - they would allow more freedom to rework scenes. As for 3d fields, I am not sure. The framework we're currently working in does not set a limit on poly count, and objects are not worked so that they could be rendered at 30 or 60 pfs - there's no such optimization (and to be frank, I'm not sure how to do it). In addition, texture/shading is specific to a rendering engine, so all the corresponding work I am doing for Cycles render would have to be redone for whatever 3d rendering system used in-game.Do you mean to make a rigged camera movement like in the urban environments in Resonance of Fate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrPi4yt5Ic

I think you would have to bake everything so they just textures/bump/spec maps or whatever - if you've seen Andrew Prices latest cycles videos you'll see what I mean. I think pretty much any real time rendering engine can load that data in some way.

What are the current poly counts? To be honest for real time rendering I think counts into the millions would be fine as by the time all scenes are completed it would probably be easy for entry level hardware to handle it. For example PS1 could only render the FF7 WM at 30fps and only limited sections of it. Today we can render the whole thing un-optimized at 200fps.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 2014-09-15 00:34:39 »
I would imagine the 3rd person top view from GTA/GOW is the only type that wouldn't confuse the hell out of everyone. It certainly would make for an interesting tech demo

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 2014-09-15 07:32:10 »
I would like to see it even with a static camera as it just looks more natural and scales with future higher resolutions more easily. Also the lighting (even if baked) can be casted in real time on the chars making  it look a lot better.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 2014-09-15 16:09:22 »
I would like to see it even with a static camera as it just looks more natural and scales with future higher resolutions more easily. Also the lighting (even if baked) can be casted in real time on the chars making  it look a lot better.
I would need to work on a "test scene" and figure what would be needed to convert a scene into an environment you would render with QGears. However, I don't consider this a top priority. That being said, having the characters being exposed to the same lighting as the environment would be a huge bonus.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 2014-09-17 15:19:58 »
Update!
I've finished most of the texturing in 5min1_2, below is where I'm at.

So... there are a couple of things I may want to revise: mostly I may need to redo the sculpting of the folds on the pillows (I've done that quickly yesterday, let's just say there's room for improvement), I'm also wondering about the red lamps next to the bed (anaho's original take was that they were simple colored glass globes). The top of the "cube" doesn't look so great, but it will be eventually covered by a cushion, so I don't think it's a concern. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how the rest turned out.
There are a few things left to do: the aforementioned cushion, a crate with a couple of objects on it, as well as a number of trash objects (soda cans) littering the place, which I could import from other scenes. I don't think it should take long to wrap this one up.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 2014-09-17 18:19:51 »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #383 on: 2014-09-17 20:52:59 »
raptr, raptr, raptr! :D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 2014-09-17 21:02:23 »
I already had it on the computer and it made uploading it to youtube fairly simple.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 2014-09-17 22:15:20 »
Thanks for that video :)
Would it be possible for you to make one at 1080p? After all, 1080x1920 res. was the objective, might as well showcase it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 2014-09-17 23:55:18 »
Yeah I dont know why it did that. I was playing in 1080p. Must be a raptr thing.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 2014-09-19 02:16:58 »
I already had it on the computer and it made uploading it to youtube fairly simple.
Interesting how the guraud shading and wot not, still looks good after ... 17 years!
heh.

@Mayo Master nice stuff.

Tis been a while, doing too much work stuff sadly.

Cyb

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 2014-09-19 17:58:15 »
Amazing - too bad the char models now look really really really really bad instead of really bad with the new awesome back ground images.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 2014-09-19 18:47:44 »
Amazing - too bad the char models now look really really really really bad instead of really bad with the new awesome back ground images.
That's precisely why I am testing and playing the game with Kaldarasha's character models.
By the way, sl1982, have you tried this combination of character/fields? As I mentioned before, I think that's how the game is meant to look like, and the best way to showcase our mods.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 2014-09-19 18:51:53 »
I havnt looked at it. I am a little behind on what mods exist these days. I have now added in team avalanches chibi cloud though.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 2014-09-20 05:00:34 »
Hi folks!

Looks like I'm pretty much done with 5min1_2. I'll just have to import and enviro light for the final render and that will be it - unless someone has useful advice about how to improve the scene some. So, here it is:

Who is going to spot the Scottish Easter egg?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2014-09-20 05:46:06 »
Amazing work as always

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 2014-09-20 22:00:44 »
Hey guys,

Need some n00b help, please. I just wanted to test something in game, and for a reason that I cannot figure, my game does not launch anymore. I have no idea why (basically, nothing seems to have happened between when it used to work fine - like yesterday - and now), I'm at a bit of a loss.
Basically, upon launching the game (using Run as admin), the window of FF7 opens and then closes as soon as it's opened. For info: I'm on Windows 8, Aali's driver version 0.7.11b.
Any pointers would be welcome - if you feel like I'd be better off uninstall/reinstall just let me know.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 2014-09-20 22:23:32 »
Had the same thing happen.  Tried replacing the exe with a fresh 1.02.  Still nothing.

Had to do a full reinstall.  Added all my modded files back and it worked fine.  I think something happened to the registry somehow.   

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 2014-09-21 00:24:34 »
Had the same thing happen.  Tried replacing the exe with a fresh 1.02.  Still nothing.

Had to do a full reinstall.  Added all my modded files back and it worked fine.  I think something happened to the registry somehow.   
Thanks for the tip  :)  I was wondering if a Windows updated had messed up the registry, too. I'll do a re-install then.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 2014-09-21 02:24:30 »
What does the app log say? Sometimes it is sound related. Cant initialize whatever sound device is set up in the config

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2014-09-21 04:00:00 »
What does the app log say? Sometimes it is sound related. Cant initialize whatever sound device is set up in the config
You may be onto something. Here's what the App log says:

Code: [Select]
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2 4.3.0
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 4
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1920x1080, output resolution 1440x1080, internal resolution 1920x1440
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: No shaders, codecs with YUV output will be slow.
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...

How is this remedied (short of a reinstall, that is - I tried to change the Sound setting in FF7Config, it did nothing)? Thanks.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 2014-09-21 04:02:35 »
When i had that problem i changed the sound driver in the config file. If that doesnt work make sure that an audio device isnt disabled in windows (Right click the speaker icon in the system tray and go to playback devices)

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 2014-09-21 05:52:18 »
Hi folks!

Looks like I'm pretty much done with 5min1_2. I'll just have to import and enviro light for the final render and that will be it - unless someone has useful advice about how to improve the scene some. So, here it is:

Who is going to spot the Scottish Easter egg?

Being a British person myself how could I not notice the fact all them sexy bottles are Irn Bru!!!! Bloody love that stuff and another great reason why I am happy the No vote won! Plus my Scottish uncle just brought down square sausages for us, seriously why do you have square sausages, they look burgers?

P.S. Looks amazing!